Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sim

Star Trek: Prometheus -- Cross Cult starts trilogy by German authors

5 posts in this topic

Haven't seen English announcements yet, but I found this (in German):

http://www.startrekromane.de/romane/star_trek_-_prometheus.html

The German publisher Cross Cult, which releases German translations of new Star Trek novels, has announced the trilogy "Star Trek: Prometheus" for summer 2016, written by Christian Humberg and Bernd Perplies in German. The authors have translated many English language Star Trek novels into German before.

The trilogy features the starship Prometheus, sent to a remote region in space to deal with a new threat to the Federation, after President Bacco has been murdered in 2385.

The covers were designed by Tobias Richter, who provided many covers for the German releases before:

DSC0001.jpg

DSC0002.jpg

DSC0003.jpg

No word if there will be English translations of these novels.

Someone on TrekBBS wrote about it a couple of days ago already, including translated blurbs for the novels:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=11364019

Edited by Sim

Bernd Perplies, author of "Star Trek: Prometheus" chimed in on TrekBBS:

If I may chime in here ...

I hope we will have the opportunity to read them too, although it might be part of their deal that the Prometheus books only appear in the German rights territory; that's happened in the past with Stargate SG-1 and Indiana Jones tie-ins that were published in German but never in English...

As far as I know Cross Cult owns the rights to distribute the "Prometheus" trilogy worldwide. Editor Markus Rohde told Christian and me, there will be English e-books at least (professionally translated and proofread by native speakers of course - I translate novels from English to German, but my English is not good enough to do it the other way round).

Of cource we all hope for a printed version. smile.gif

I'm curious how you will handle the continuity work with all the other authors or how the stories fit into the timeline. First, we know the timeframe our story is set in very well. Christian translated "The Fall", I am translating "Takedown" and "Armageddon's Arrow" at the moment. We both read the "Typhon Pact" novels. We know the year 2385. smile.gif Then you should not overestimate continuity issues. A lot of "Star Trek" novels just take place after one another without referencing each other very much. It is more a matter of who lives and who is dead and who is on which ship. Also we have our own ship (with a few cameo characters of course) and we took care to think of a story, that does not interfere with current storylines from our fellow writers from the US. Last but not least: We are now free to talk about the project and of course we will contact John Jackson Miller, who is writing the "Prey" trilogy at the moment, to tell him what we are doing.

Lastly Pocket Books can do what they want. We are just playing in their sandbox. But we do what we can to be mindful of the existing continuity. (And we are lucky: At the moment a lot of TOS, ENT and VOY novels are planned for 2016 - they all do not interfere with "Prometheus".)

This is really cool. Have new Trek novels ever been published for a foreign language like this?

As far as I know: No. This is the first time. It is a "Star Trek 50th Anniversary" gift from CBS/Paramount and Cross Cult for all the loyal German "Star Trek" readers and fans.

I'm not real sure what to make of new tensions with the Klingons in the books. For quite a while the UFP and the Empire have been pretty consistently friendly, so it seems odd to me that they would turn on each other.

Don't be too alarmed by the teasers. We are not planing to start a war! It is more like political (and some military) tensions about how to handle a certain third party aggressor. And let's face it: Just because Martok likes the Federation, that doesn't mean, there is no single hardliner in the Klingon High Council left.

Is this definitely a one-time thing for the 50th, then, or is there the potential for more to come following? I'm really hoping the latter. At the moment it is "just" an anniversary trilogy. Okay, let me rephrase this: It is A GERMAN STAR TREK TRILOGY! smile.gif Trust me, that's a pretty big thing for all of us at Cross Cult! Every single volume of it. We all love Star Trek and we really hope to make a contribution to the LitTrek universe, that is appreciated by the readers.

But to answer your question: If the readers really like the books and make it a success for Cross Cult, no one knows what might happen. (Well, perhaps the publisher knows, but I am just one of the two writers. wink.gif )

So it looks like there will at very least be an English translation e-book release.

So I've read a little more than half of the first novel -- the German contribution to Star Trek's 50th anniversary!

DSC0001.jpg

It's pretty good so far, IMO!

The story is promising, with a nice analogy and comment to these days' islamist terror attacks: Terrorists blow up two Starfleet starbases and a Klingon mining colony, and a group of fanatics in the people of the Renao -- an isolationist race in a nebula near Federation and Typhon Pact space, technologically 100 years behind the major powers -- takes responsibility in a video. The USS Prometheus is sent to investigate, because the Federation isn't convinced the Renao really are the perpetrators, as the explosives used are technically too advanced -- but the Klingons, who send a ship on their own, are just too eager to find an excuse to go to war.

Ambassador Spock and Alexander Rhozhenko appear as guest characters, and one ensign on the Prometheus is a Renao, the only Renao in Starfleet, and gets to face quite a few prejudices and rejection -- from both his isolationist people who resent him for leaving home, and his Starfleet comrades, as he apparently belongs to a "race of terrorists". In the middle of the first novel, Spock gives him a few words of comfort, telling him about the suspicions against him (in TOS "Balance of Terror"), after the humans learned he looks like Romulans. There is quite a bit meditation about topics related to the terrorism and fanaticism of our days, warmongering and prejudice -- in the best humanist Star Trek fashion. :)

The authors weren't too bold about the choice of main characters on the Prometheus, though: Captain Richard Adams is apparently an older Anglo-Saxon male, while first officer Raoss is a Caitian (the cat-creatures as seen on TAS(?) and the TOS novel "Uhura's Song", IIRC). Chief engineer is Jenna Kirk, great-granddaughter of Jim Kirk's brother. But a couple of German characters are featured for a change: Com officer Paul Winter is a black German with Sudanese roots, and in Starfleet Command, there appears Admiral Markus Rohde (an in-joke, as that is the name of the editor of the German ST novel releases :D ) with ties to Starfleet Intelligence.

So far, it's an enjoyable read and absolutely promising! :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0