Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

Alien Covenant

116 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I also agree that Ward's angle would've been a non-starter... it's interesting to look back upon now, but it seems that it is the development of this film that skewed the direction of the franchise. Ward is a very arty, very creative visualist, but he's more of a poet than the franchise needed at this point. Producers Giler and Hill had admirable instincts, but I think they were totally wrong to seek his services. Clearly, they realized that too, but then used the basic shape of his story to make the Alien 3 we got, because the studio wanted a film, and... just, no. Yes, it was a missed opportunity. For all the reasons above though, and probably many more to do with David Fincher, I still don't think Alien 3 is a disaster. It's an oddball, and a signpost that'll stand forever for a road not taken.

^

When I first heard about Ward's weird little monks-on-the-wood-planet story, I was thinking,"This would make an intriguing fantasy story, maybe something like the oddball "City of Ember" or something like that ... but not an ALIEN movie."   

5 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Which brings us to Prometheus and Covenant. (I won't bother going into the buck-making exercise that are the AvP messes.) Prometheus was supposed to restore the grandeur and mystery, and we got High School Idiots in Space with beautiful production design. Covenant looks like more of the same; a thin greatest hits mash-up. I'll give Covenant the benefit of the doubt, as I haven't seen it yet, but the likelihood of it usurping Alien 3 as the third-best film in the franchise looks very unlikely from the trailers. Alien 3 managed the unlikely feat (just about) of being a silk purse made from a sow's ear - there were a lot of good intentions there. I know Covenant will look pretty, but the idea that it somehow restores an overall direction to the franchise is too much to hope for.  My expectations are incredibly low, so maybe I'll enjoy it more than I think. We'll see. 

^ Mine too.

At this point, it could just be a rehash of ALIEN and I'd think, "At least it wasn't a grand-scale clusterf--k like 'Prometheus'." :laugh:

Prometheus had such lofty ambition; and then cast it with characters that were as dumb as a sack of rocks.   They made "Friday the 13th" movie-character mistakes.  No quarantines, taking off helmets within an alien biosphere, etc. etc.   They might as well had been volunteer counselors from Camp Crystal Lake rather than the best and brightest of the scientific community (!).    Prometheus was also killed largely by the weight of its own ambitions.   It was (at its heart) a monster movie... that thought it was Carl Sagan's COSMOS.  

An odd duck...

11 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Oh, and "Quadrilogy" ...WTf#c*ittyF? What marketing idiot approved that non-word? I bought the blu-ray edition and stowed that box set somewhere, never to be seen again. Quartet, you morons. QUARTET. Look it up.  I don't mind the invention of new words, but make it sound elegant, and don't forgo a perfectly good one if it already exists. 

Right??  I know... in space no one can hear your eyes rolling. 

ALIEN COVENANT: Fox Home Entertainment And Walmart Team Up For A New Blu-Ray Alien Anthology Release.

Good night, boa noite !

Fox and Walmart have something special in store for the fans of the Alien Franchise

1 hour ago, GustavoLeao said:
ALIEN COVENANT: Fox Home Entertainment And Walmart Team Up For A New Blu-Ray Alien Anthology Release.

Good night, boa noite !

Fox and Walmart have something special in store for the fans of the Alien Franchise

I already have a great set of the first four movies with more features than I have time in this life to ever get through completely. 

So, you fork out for a set you already have, and you get some extra postcards and $7.50 off the price of your ticket to Covenant...?! No thanks. 

Seriously... is this news? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

So, you fork out for a set you already have, and you get some extra postcards and $7.50 off the price of your ticket to Covenant...?! No thanks. 

Seriously... is this news? :rolleyes:

I still have my perfectly good Quartet set---er, I mean, "Quadrilogy" set (ugh... I hate having to type that non-word  :glare:), and it looks like it has pretty much everything that this set has... minus some worthless postcards (not like I'm visiting LV-426 anytime soon, right??).

33 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I still have my perfectly good Quartet set---er, I mean, "Quadrilogy" set (ugh... I hate having to type that non-word  :glare:), and it looks like it has pretty much everything that this set has... minus some worthless postcards (not like I'm visiting LV-426 anytime soon, right??).

Pretty nice that for the blu-ray they upgraded to "anthology."

6 hours ago, kenman said:

Pretty nice that for the blu-ray they upgraded to "anthology."

Almost worth the price just to not have to look at "Quadrilogy" each time I pop in an ALIEN movie...:laugh:

They're almost as bad as the Trek franchise is with its habit of re-releasing the same things in shiny new packages. lol

3 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

They're almost as bad as the Trek franchise is with its habit of re-releasing the same things in shiny new packages. lol

At least ST didn't call their movies a Thirteenilogy. :laugh:

17 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

At least ST didn't call their movies a Thirteenilogy. :laugh:

Don't give them ideas! :P

1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

Don't give them ideas! :P

If they do, we'll know where they got it from... I'll have my lawyer call theirs at once, of course. :giggle:

Bah ! Paramount and CBS Home Entertaiment just suck ! How many times they will release the movies with the same extras on DVD or Blu-Ray ??? I have spoken !

10659077_10206521719300927_6373844400734

Gus

17 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Here's some pics they could make into some more postcraps... sorry, postcards...

http://io9.gizmodo.com/these-alien-covenant-photos-reveal-brand-new-horrors-1794507464

And those will comprise yet another set...until the release of ALL the movies.  Showing the pods like that (in the photo via the io9 link) just robs them of any mystery/horror they may have once had.   Now they're little more scary than bad weather.  The ALIEN franchise kind of reminds me of what's happened with the zombie genre; the whole thing has a feeling of 'been there, done that, bought the box set.'  Too bad; those first two movies are still utter cinemagic. 

12 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

And those will comprise yet another set...until the release of ALL the movies.  Showing the pods like that (in the photo via the io9 link) just robs them of any mystery/horror they may have once had.   Now they're little more scary than bad weather.  The ALIEN franchise kind of reminds me of what's happened with the zombie genre; the whole thing has a feeling of 'been there, done that, bought the box set.'  Too bad; those first two movies are still utter cinemagic. 

It's the same thudding "Explain everything" rule that robs a lot of continuing stories of their inherent mystery. It's almost as if big budget cinema, in an effort to build a coherent "Universe," is going around systematically destroying anything that provided a sense of awe and mystery in the first place. 

I deplore this kind of "gap-filling" writing. It's about misappropriated punctuation rather than broad strokes, crossing Ts and dotting Is rather than focusing on the big picture. You absolutely do have to have a sense of detail, but it's like the notes of a song - play it badly and everyone knows what a bum note sounds like.

Bleaaargh.  

Always wonder what Spielberg thinks about this kind of thing, as he was someone who was particularly good at providing that, doing it extremely well and keeping to it. (Indy 4 notwithstanding. I blame that on Lucas.) 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0