Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

Alien Covenant

64 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

At this point I'm tempted to say "no matter how many more Alien movies he ends up making, it will be too many".

That point came in 90s.

1 hour ago, kenman said:

That point came in 90s.

Agreed. I think it's fried. Prometheus had the rare chance to give us something different and it didn't. 

Posted (edited)

On 2/28/2017 at 2:24 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

I just don't want to see Ridley Scott repeating himself; he's better than that.  And his previous attempt at ALIEN territory, "Prometheus," was a complete mess.

Prometheus is pretty literally only watchable for me because of Fassbender, and I do like the sheer horror factor of our protagonist handling her own surgery, but I remember almost nothing else about it.

They should have quit after "Aliens."

Edited by prometheus59650

31 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Prometheus is pretty literally only watchable for me because of Fassbender, and I do like the sheer horror factor of our protagonist handling her own surgery, but I remember almost nothing else about it.

They should have quit after "Aliens."

As much as I - UNPOPULAR OPINION - enjoy Alien³ (only the Director's Cut version tho, the theatrical one is indeed an utter disaster), I agree. Aliens was an amazing sequel to an amazing movie, and that should have been it. I mean the fact that (cancelled?) Alien 5 was supposed to ignore both Alien³ and Alien Resurrection says a lot about how popular these two movies were.

But then, some franchises just don't know when to stop, the Alien one certainly being a prime example here.

1 minute ago, Mr.Picard said:

But then, some franchises just don't know when to stop, the Alien one certainly being a prime example here.

The studio sees money and, for those involved, I think they've spent the last decades trying to franchise it and fail, and try again because they wanna be the one to prove they understand the appeal and why it works.

I just think that sometimes things are products of their times that come together at just the right moment in to "hit."

Then people move on. It's just over.

I think "Alien" is that. I just think the pop culture world has simply moved on and did it after "Aliens.".

1 minute ago, prometheus59650 said:

The studio sees money and, for those involved, I think they've spent the last decades trying to franchise it and fail, and try again because they wanna be the one to prove they understand the appeal and why it works.

I just think that sometimes things are products of their times that come together at just the right moment in to "hit."

Then people move on. It's just over.

I think "Alien" is that. I just think the pop culture world has simply moved on and did it after "Aliens.".

I agree. And really, the Xenomorphs are already well-rooted in pop culture, it's not that people are going to forget their epicness. They don't NEED more movies. The first movie is a classic, the second a worthy sequel and that's it, and should have been it.

I believe Alien: Isolation is a great example of how they could/should maintain a bit of the original sense of wonder without screwing it all up by trying to dig too deep - it's a video game, but a REALLY good one, based on the simple principles of the first movie. (No weapons, one Alien.) These old principles still work, but nowadays you have to make them work through different means, not necessarily movies - as people have said here, the movies squeezed everything out of the whole thing, and more. No one needed Alien vs. Predator or its sequel. No one really needed Prometheus, especially not with the messed up premise of "is it a prequel or is it not, we just don't know, we think it could be, oh no wait it's not, ah but it DOES look like as if it is, huuuuh". (I for one think that ONE prequel MIGHT have worked. A clear, streamlined prequel that showed how the ship they find in the first movie ended up where it was and where the Xenomorphs came from - but not as a movie, too big, too much. Maybe a mini series or something, put together in a few short webisodes. This is what I mean when I say "make the story work through different means". Answer some of the questions that remain from the first two movies if you want to, but don't go too deep into it, don't try to squeeze out too much. Or do nothing at all and just let the fans guess. Some things are better left unanswered anyway.)

I kinda like Alien 3 too, I can even watch the pretty flawed theatrical cut. But each of the movies were the same basic plot with vastly different stylistic choices from the different filmmakers behind it. I think that was the only thing keeping it interesting. Having a filmmaker return is probably the worst creative choice. We already saw his version (and in my opinionthe best version), his return was muddled and problematic, and creatively we just have seen it all before. 

Posted (edited)

Count me in as a fan of the third movie too, flawed though it is (as Mr Picard says, the special edition rather than the theatrical cut). if ALIEN had remained a trilogy, the missteps of the third film notwithstanding, it would be a three-movie masterwork. 

I very much fear that Scott's latest installment and any future plans he has will scupper any possibilities for rescuing the franchise at all. i do believe it could still be good - the writers and producers are just chasing all the wrong elements entirely. Scott is, in a big way, to blame for that. But it's as if he's taken a leaf out of Lucas' early 2000s notebook on how to eviscerate his own earlier work. He seems to now be systematically jettisoning anything that made the first three movies mysterious, stylish and cool. All that mystery and grandeur is giving way to his own worst impulses to explain everything. It didn't need explaining. It just needed the imaginative majesty and dramatic restraint of the first three movies.

It's really a bit of a tragedy in terms of cinematic history. But at least we will always have those first three movies.

I'll see this - of course I will - but given the publicity material so far, my expectations are very, very low.

Edited by Robin Bland

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

I very much fear that Scott's latest installment and any future plans he has will scupper any possibilities for rescuing the franchise at all. i do believe it could still be good - the writers and producers are just chasing all the wrong elements entirely. Scott is, in a big way, to blame for that. But it's as if he's taken a leaf out of Lucas' early 2000s notebook on how to eviscerate his own earlier work. He seems to now be systematically jettisoning anything that made the first three movies mysterious, stylish and cool. All that mystery and grandeur is giving way to his own worst impulses to explain everything. It didn't need explaining. It just needed the imaginative majesty and dramatic restraint of the first three movies.

It's really a bit of a tragedy in terms of cinematic history. But at least we will always have those first three movies.

I'll see this - of course I will - but given the publicity material so far, my expectations are very, very low.

^

Very much this.

And yes, part of ALIEN's appeal to me is the mystery; the 'unknowable' aspect of the xenomorphs.   Like Darth Vader, learning too much about them diminishes their fear factor a bit.   And seeing yet another team innocently stumbling across them is becoming as tedious as seeing another batch of crazy kids arriving at Camp Crystal Lake for the summer.  ALIEN's vibe was always (for me, anyway) something more cool and mysterious; I don't want to know too much about them... I want to simply be scared s#!tless by them.

On 3/23/2017 at 3:03 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

I was on the fence with this one, but I'm leaning towards yes... 

I think I'm going to check it out. It doesn't look groundbreaking exactly, but it might be a taut space thriller with a sense of nightmarish mystery.

I guess we could hope for that for ALIEN: Covenant too, which I expect to be extremely slick, just like Prometheus. But Prometheus was largely surface gloss and little substance. My bet is that LIfe will be simple and punchy, but have a sense of greater scope in the way that the original ALIEN did.

16 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I think I'm going to check it out. It doesn't look groundbreaking exactly, but it might be a taut space thriller with a sense of nightmarish mystery.

I guess we could hope for that for ALIEN: Covenant too, which I expect to be extremely slick, just like Prometheus. But Prometheus was largely surface gloss and little substance. My bet is that LIfe will be simple and punchy, but have a sense of greater scope in the way that the original ALIEN did.

I'm going with a friend of mine this Sunday; Mrs Vie doesn't do horror.   My friend and I were both on the fence about it, so two 'on-the-fencers' make one supporter.  :laugh:

I'm keeping my expectations somewhat low; much as I did with "Passengers" (which was pretty fun & entertaining, if not particularly challenging).  I'm anticipating a similar experience with "Life."

If it's bad, well...c'est la vie.  :P

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0