Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

Alien Covenant

251 posts in this topic

Meh....looks like the same tired movie: band of red shirts find ship, get infected, carnage ensues. 

Meh....looks like the same tired movie: band of red shirts find ship, get infected, carnage ensues. 

This. From the looks of the scenes in the trailer they copied basically EVERYTHING from the previous movies in the franchise. It's one thing to pay tribute but if your entire trailer is basically mostly re-hashed scenes from previous movies things become tedious pretty quickly. I do hope it'll be a better movie than Prometheus but then THAT one shouldn't be too difficult, now should it. :P

This. From the looks of the scenes in the trailer they copied basically EVERYTHING from the previous movies in the franchise. It's one thing to pay tribute but if your entire trailer is basically mostly re-hashed scenes from previous movies things become tedious pretty quickly. I do hope it'll be a better movie than Prometheus but then THAT one shouldn't be too difficult, now should it. :P

No but wait, look, wait, wait, he mashed the Psycho shower scene into it! That's original, right? 

Looks pretty, but I agree, after Prometheus, my head-Jury will await further evidence on this one... I guess the best we can hope for is a decent Alien-esque thriller. Here's hoping this one actually makes sense. 

No but wait, look, wait, wait, he mashed the Psycho shower scene into it! That's original, right? 

Looks pretty, but I agree, after Prometheus, my head-Jury will await further evidence on this one... I guess the best we can hope for is a decent Alien-esque thriller. Here's hoping this one actually makes sense. 

^
This. 

Want to give it the benefit of the doubt; even if it looks almost like a shot-for-shot remake of the original.

When I first saw the trailer, it was in an article that said "Alien: Covenant trailer shows us a new breed in terror" or something like that and I watched and was like "what is the NEW part?"  I mean if they just make it a gory Alien movie?  Might be fun.  But I saw nothing new or of enticing interest in that trailer.  Most likely a library check out for me.  I wasn't even in the same group of people that really despised Prometheus (in which I didn't love but certainly didn't hate it)...and even I am just not feeling it. 

Originally this was going to be Prometheus II... a continuation of some kind. But it seems the dangling threads left at the end of that movie won't be acknowledged in this movie... it looks like Scott has just moved on and isn't interested in answering any of the questions he raised in the earlier film. Going into it with any kind of expectation that it'll reference Prometheus or other ALIEN movies is probably not going to be fulfilled. I'm actually kind of relieved about that. Clean slate. 

Maybe someone mentioned to him that part of the reason the original film is so brilliant is because plotwise, it's so simple. The characters are brilliant and believable, and it's an incredibly tight thriller. 

Originally this was going to be Prometheus II... a continuation of some kind. But it seems the dangling threads left at the end of that movie won't be acknowledged in this movie... it looks like Scott has just moved on and isn't interested in answering any of the questions he raised in the earlier film. Going into it with any kind of expectation that it'll reference Prometheus or other ALIEN movies is probably not going to be fulfilled. I'm actually kind of relieved about that. Clean slate. 

Maybe someone mentioned to him that part of the reason the original film is so brilliant is because plotwise, it's so simple. The characters are brilliant and believable, and it's an incredibly tight thriller. 

The original ALIEN was going to be a modestly-budgeted horror pic called "Star Beast" (as it was known for a few of the script drafts, IIRC).   It sounded like something best seen at a rickety drive-in movie and not the A-list, genius-simple movie that director Ridley Scott and writer Rockne O'Bannon ultimately yielded.

It's basically the old '50s/'60s B-movie staple of a monster loose on a spaceship (very close to 1966's "Queen Of Blood" or 1958's "It! The Terror From Beyond Space").   There's a reason those old B movies were as modestly-but-steadily successful as they were.

And yes, even though the trailer is very scene specific to the first ALIEN film?  I'm glad they're getting off Prometheus' quasi-religious express train.  It was really going nowhere.   Mankind encounters its own 'gods,' and they're kinda d!cks.   Wow.   Moving on now...

The original ALIEN was going to be a modestly-budgeted horror pic called "Star Beast" (as it was known for a few of the script drafts, IIRC).   It sounded like something best seen at a rickety drive-in movie and not the A-list, genius-simple movie that director Ridley Scott and writer Rockne O'Bannon ultimately yielded.

It's basically the old '50s/'60s B-movie staple of a monster loose on a spaceship (very close to 1966's "Queen Of Blood" or 1958's "It! The Terror From Beyond Space").   There's a reason those old B movies were as modestly-but-steadily successful as they were.

And yes, even though the trailer is very scene specific to the first ALIEN film?  I'm glad they're getting off Prometheus' quasi-religious express train.  It was really going nowhere.   Mankind encounters its own 'gods,' and they're kinda d!cks.   Wow.   Moving on now...

Right - it's the bits with the beachball chicken creature from Dark Star, O'Bannon's earlier film, without the comedy.

That whole "meeting your creators and they're BIG HUMANS" thing from Prometheus was a non-starter. The opening of the film was kind of weird and beautiful, but it all went swiftly downhill from there. So, if this one starts with a very basic, simple premise, he can't mess it up, right?

...Right...?

That's about the only thing I enjoyed about the movie. I did not like the horror/carnage part of it. We have decades of that in the Alien franchise itself as well as practically any B-type movie. I do get that a pure scifi movie is a risk especially for a franchise that has already defined itself as THE space horror franchise. I, on the other hand, want to see something different. I wished Prometheus had stuck more to the scifi theme. It would have been a more coherent movie rather then the collision of both scifi and horror that resulted in a mediocre movie. 

That's about the only thing I enjoyed about the movie. I did not like the horror/carnage part of it. We have decades of that in the Alien franchise itself as well as practically any B-type movie. I do get that a pure scifi movie is a risk especially for a franchise that has already defined itself as THE space horror franchise. I, on the other hand, want to see something different. I wished Prometheus had stuck more to the scifi theme. It would have been a more coherent movie rather then the collision of both scifi and horror that resulted in a mediocre movie. 

Prometheus wanted to be so many things, but the only thing it really succeeded at was that it was a good looking movie.  I too, wished Prometheus would've been a scifi movie TOTALLY unrelated to the ALIEN franchise, but that's water under the bridge now.   It didn't succeed as a horror movie, and it was too all-over-the-map with its ideas to be solid science fiction either.   It pleased no one in the end.

ALIEN Covenant at least has a chance to bring the franchise back to something entertaining, but the more I see of Covenant, the more I think it looks like a case of "been there, done that, bought the face-hugger." 

Hide. 20th Century Fox has released a new poster for ALIEN COVENANT in advance of a brand new trailer debuting tomorrow, March 1st.

17016763_10212315288376533_1057110674701

Will post the trailer here tomorrow, stay tuned !

Gus

Nothing I have seen of this movie seems fresh or new to the Alien series. Even this poster just looks like a slightly darker updating of the original.  I gave the prologue a shot, but it just did very little for me.  Maybe someday on video, but I don't have any pressing need to see this thing.

Nothing I have seen of this movie seems fresh or new to the Alien series. Even this poster just looks like a slightly darker updating of the original.  I gave the prologue a shot, but it just did very little for me.  Maybe someday on video, but I don't have any pressing need to see this thing.

I still feel the same way as well. That dinner scene did nothing for me either other than making me feel like "just HOW much of the original Alien movie are they going to re-hash here?"

I still feel the same way as well. That dinner scene did nothing for me either other than making me feel like "just HOW much of the original Alien movie are they going to re-hash here?"

The more I see of it, the more it feels like a remake.  Rapidly losing interest if all we're getting is a tour ride down Nostalgia Lane. I want an ALIEN story that advances the mythology, as ALIENS did for ALIEN.   It was a sequel, but it was a very different kind of sequel.   The first movie was the creepy haunted house, the 2nd one was the roller coaster ride. 

This one just looks like more of the same.

And yes, that fake out dinner scene gag felt like a cheap gag that only has any relevance if one has seen the first movie.

Y'know, I watched that scene too, late one night.... and then completely forgot about it. I was mildly intrigued to see the dude from HBO's Eastbound and Down among the cast but honestly, that was the extent to which that thing engaged me.

I think I'm just hoping for it not be as absolutely awful as Prometheus. I know it'll look pretty, but I really don't need another variation of ALIEN, Unca Ridley.

Edited by Robin Bland

I think ALIEN COVENANT will be a good Ridley Scott movie.

Hell, an average Riodley Scott movie is better than most of the sci-fi movies we got these days.

But I am waiting for the new trailer tomorrow to place my bets.

Gus

I think ALIEN COVENANT will be a good Ridley Scott movie.

Hell, an average Riodley Scott movie is better than most of the sci-fi movies we got these days.

Really?   We've had quite a few good ones lately; "Gravity" "Interstellar" "The Arrival" "Passengers" and yes, even Scott's own "The Martian."  Hollywood is finally recognizing REAL science fiction as a potential moneymaker instead of just mindless shoot 'em ups. 

I just don't want to see Ridley Scott repeating himself; he's better than that.  And his previous attempt at ALIEN territory, "Prometheus," was a complete mess.

Alien never should have been a franchise. Alien is fantastic, Aliens is some fun...but beyond that it never really had much legs in terms of plot of story or even world building.  The only thing it had going for it was different filmmakers with different visions putting their own artistic stamp on the basic plot elements.  Scott's return and attempt at really building a universe out of this franchise has shown how hollow it is.

Did you guys see this? I already saw this movie...

http://io9.gizmodo.com/everything-the-covenant-trailer-reveals-about-the-lates-1792841865

Also

http://io9.gizmodo.com/ridley-scott-already-has-a-script-ready-to-go-for-the-a-1793007316

...in which Unca Ridley systematically destroys any mystique and  intrigue the ALIEN universe ever had, by answering loads of questions that never needed answering.

But it's okay everyone! 'Cause it'll look good.

Here it is !

Hide - Xenomorphs Attack In The Terrifying New Trailer For Ridley Scott's ALIEN: COVENANT

10 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Ridley Scott Expresses His Willingness To Make Six More Movies Set In The Xenoverse After ALIEN: COVENANT

It looks like the 79-year-old director is not willing to retire anytime soon, as he's planning to explain the Alien mythos in not one, not two - but at least SIX more installments of the main series.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ???

Gus

^

I wouldn't take it so literally; it sounds more like press junket hyperbole to me.   If he wants to do more science fiction, he should try another original script, like "The Martian" or "Blade Runner"; it's always best to keep pushing boundaries, otherwise he'll wind up being a short order cook for ALIEN movies.   And if "Prometheus" proved anything, it's that Scott isn't the best at revisiting his own material (ala George Lucas and the SW prequels).  It's a shame, because I really like Scott's other works, when he isn't too bogged down with his ow trademark ornateness.  "Thelma and Louise" and "The Martian" are good examples of Sir Ridley-lite. 

Don't get me wrong: ALIEN and Blade Runner are two of the greatest science fiction movies ever made, but he does no one any favors by constantly retreading the same turf.   Frankly, I'm not sure if the ALIEN movies have much gas in the tank at this point...

At this point I'm tempted to say "no matter how many more Alien movies he ends up making, it will be too many".

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0