Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Alien Covenant

15 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

That is exactly how to approach it, I reckon. :) 

It is. I expected too much from Prometheus already, I'm not gonna make that same mistake again. :laugh: 

2 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

That is exactly how to approach it, I reckon. :) 

My expectations for AC were pretty low... It came in even lower.  

When the credits rolled, I had to remind myself that I'd just seen a Sir Ridley Scott science fiction movie; it felt like like the seventh movie in a slasher flick franchise directed by a 22 year old kid out of film school.  

I just watched it... and really, I've seen worse. Alien vs. Predator 2 was worse, IMO. Alien vs. Predator is probably on the same level as this one for me.

Good:

- It didn't annoy me as much as Prometheus did story-wise. This one at least TRIED to be a full Alien prequel. Prometheus just made me frustrated with its "I'm a prequel, no wait, I'm not" approach.

- Shallow me raised an eyebrow at the Walter/David kiss

- Fassbender really is a good actor, and I so enjoy the fact that his German is accent-free.

- That shower scene, mwahahahaha. I cheered for the Xenomorph

- Despite being predictable I did enjoy the non-happy ending. I like movies with non-happy endings, what can I say.

Bad:

- Stupid crew is stupid. How did any of these people ever get a license for space travel? I get it that not everyone can be as smart as Ripley and her fellows, but COME ON. This felt like as if a bunch of scared civilians was suddenly in charge of a space ship.

- Someone watched too much "Datalore" and "Descent".

- Predictable "OMG IT'S LORE DAVID" twist ending was predictable. I guess they just didn't have a Wesley Crusher to point out the obvious...?

- Same old story idea again, but then, there isn't much to do with the source material in the first place.

So yeah. It wasn't anywhere near the best of the franchise, but somehow also not near the worst. At least not for me. I'm okay with the fact that I got the DVD. ;) 

48 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

- Stupid crew is stupid. How did any of these people ever get a license for space travel? I get it that not everyone can be as smart as Ripley and her fellows, but COME ON. This felt like as if a bunch of scared civilians was suddenly in charge of a space ship.

I just couldn’t get past this one.   It’s one thing for a bunch of space truckers (like the Nostromo crew) to blunder about the cosmos, but these guys were TRAINED for this.   This is what they DID.  Yet they still acted like a bunch of camp counselors in a Friday the 13th movie...

49 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

- Someone watched too much "Datalore" and "Descent".

- Predictable "OMG IT'S LORE DAVID" twist ending was predictable. I guess they just didn't have a Wesley Crusher to point out the obvious...?

^ Yeah, that bugged too.  I half expected David to credit “Often Wrong Soong” at some point...

Anyway, glad you were entertained by it (if it makes one friend of mine happy, I’m happy), but this ALIEN movie I won’t be adding to my collection anytime soon (or at all). :laugh:

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Anyway, glad you were entertained by it (if it makes one friend of mine happy, I’m happy), but this ALIEN movie I won’t be adding to my collection anytime soon (or at all). :laugh:

I was entertained by it, yes. I'll re-watch it again at some point, maybe it'll get a little better then (Prometheus did for me although not by much). I definitely don't regret watching it. It was meh, but not horrible. 

And yeah, Ripley's crew in ALIEN seems about a thousand times smarter than these people, and they do what, towing other ships around? These people in Covenant are supposed to be SCIENTISTS and yet they ignored basically EVERY SINGLE RULE. I mean what even. The movie would have worked with a smarter crew as well, there was no REASON to make them this dumb.

33 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I was entertained by it, yes. I'll re-watch it again at some point, maybe it'll get a little better then (Prometheus did for me although not by much). I definitely don't regret watching it. It was meh, but not horrible. 

And yeah, Ripley's crew in ALIEN seems about a thousand times smarter than these people, and they do what, towing other ships around? These people in Covenant are supposed to be SCIENTISTS and yet they ignored basically EVERY SINGLE RULE. I mean what even. The movie would have worked with a smarter crew as well, there was no REASON to make them this dumb.

They were teenagers-in-a-slasher-film stupid.  

I can accept that maybe some of the Covenant crew were just simple folk who wanted a fresh start, but I assume they needed some basic skills and intelligence to settle a virginal planet.  Even the most rural of farmhands knows something of husbandry or basic agriculture.  But the crew of Covenant were so dumb I wouldn’t trust them to boil water for tea without causing a ship-crippling explosion. 

Hell, it’s amazing they successfully tie their own shoes without taking heavy casualties.  

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Hell, it’s amazing they successfully tie their own shoes without taking heavy casualties.  

Dude!!! Shut it!!! Do not give them any more ideas!!!! 

LOL!!!

3 hours ago, Nombrecomun said:

Dude!!! Shut it!!! Do not give them any more ideas!!!! 

LOL!!!

:laugh:

Oops...

18 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Unca Ridley further devalues the ALIEN universe with cryptic statements that don't really count as news (but anyway):

https://io9.gizmodo.com/ridley-scott-seems-to-think-the-alien-franchise-doesnt-1820262151

After Covenant and Prometheus, I can’t say I entirely disagree with him.  I could see movies set in the ALIEN universe that aren’t necessarily repackaged “Friday the 13th” movies with spaceships (which was pretty much my summation of Covenant).   Prometheus actually had some interesting ideas here and there, but the overriding need to somehow tie it in with ALIEN ruined it for me.  

As for his hints at an AI-related movie?  There’ve been quite a few of those lately; it wouldn’t exactly be revolutionary right now.

Maybe, instead of exploring AI he might consider a movie set in the ALIEN universe that tries to answer some of Prometheus’ lofty questions without getting all gooey and deadly.  One of Sir Ridley’s most interesting movies recently was “The Martian”; a movie that had very little to do with AI, and nothing to do with xenomorphs.  It was also quite successful...

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

After Covenant and Prometheus, I can’t say I entirely disagree with him.  I could see movies set in the ALIEN universe that aren’t necessarily repackaged “Friday the 13th” movies with spaceships (which was pretty much my summation of Covenant).   Prometheus actually had some interesting ideas here and there, but the overriding need to somehow tie it in with ALIEN ruined it for me.  

As for his hints at an AI-related movie?  There’ve been quite a few of those lately; it wouldn’t exactly be revolutionary right now.

Maybe, instead of exploring AI he might consider a movie set in the ALIEN universe that tries to answer some of Prometheus’ lofty questions without getting all gooey and deadly.  One of Sir Ridley’s most interesting movies recently was “The Martian”; a movie that had very little to do with AI, and nothing to do with xenomorphs.  It was also quite successful...

Yeah, but what's the point of an ALIEN movie without Aliens?

If he wants to make a movie about AIs, a different take than Blade Runner, fine, make another movie about AIs. It's not important to state whether it is or isn't set in that universe - focus on the story. He went out of his way in Prometheus and Covenant to over-explain backstory from the original film that should've remained mysterious and which were a huge part of that first movie's appeal.

He mistakes himself as the sole author of the first ALIEN, when it was actually a perfect fusion of many talents. He certainly styled the overall alchemy, it's his vision and talent that brought it all together, but I think he later completely misunderstood what it was about it that worked - its themes, ideas, philosophy. There's something proprietorial about his attitude that assumes he knows the ALIEN universe best, and he clearly does not. If he wants to make a new film about AI, go ahead, but otherwise, let someone new steer the franchise.

If he wants a continued stake in it, executive produce and let Denis Villeneuve have a go. Or whomever. But the idea of Scott making a third Promethean celluloid clusterf**k fills me with inertia.

Just now, Robin Bland said:

Yeah, but what's the point of an ALIEN movie without Aliens?

Well, it’s still an interesting universe.   While I’m not quite jumping for joy over the prospect, if done well (and with solid writing this time) there is potential for an interesting sideways science fiction franchise (minus monsters...).

3 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

He mistakes himself as the sole author of the first ALIEN, when it was actually a perfect fusion of many talents. He certainly styled the overall alchemy, it's his vision and talent that brought it all together, but I think he later completely misunderstood what it was about it that worked - its themes, ideas, philosophy. There's something proprietorial about his attitude that assumes he knows the ALIEN universe best, and he clearly does not. If he wants to make a new film about AI, go ahead, but otherwise, let someone new steer the franchise.

True!  
The story originally sprang from Dan O’Bannon and Ron Shusett, with their original script, “Star Beast.”   No one seems to remember that.  Hell, Scott has become so proprietary of the franchise that even I tend to forget that the story didn’t come from him.    Not to mention there was also Ron Cobb’s amazing production design sketches; they were as important to the ALIEN franchise as Ralph McQuarrie’s original artwork for the first Star Wars movie. 

8 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

If he wants a continued stake in it, executive produce and let Denis Villeneuve have a go. Or whomever. But the idea of Scott making a third Promethean celluloid clusterf**k fills me with inertia

^ Very much this.   “Fills me with inertia”... I need to use that sometime, if you don’t mind. :laugh:

3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Well, it’s still an interesting universe.   While I’m not quite jumping for joy over the prospect, if done well (and with solid writing this time) there is potential for an interesting sideways science fiction franchise (minus monsters...).

I guess that was the original idea behind Prometheus. I wish Scott had completely disassociated it with the ALIEN universe entirely and it could be its own standalone film. That said, I’m looking forward to Weyland Yutani - Building Better Worlds (the corporate training video). 

True!  
The story originally sprang from Dan O’Bannon and Ron Shusett, with their original script, “Star Beast.”   No one seems to remember that.  Hell, Scott has become so proprietary of the franchise that even I tend to forget that the story didn’t come from him.    Not to mention there was also Ron Cobb’s amazing production design sketches; they were as important to the ALIEN franchise as Ralph McQuarrie’s original artwork for the first Star Wars movie. 

Not to mention Giler and Hill’s uncredited rewrites, HR Giger’s designs, contributors like Jean Giraud (Moebius),  Terry Rawlings, Micheal Seymour, Brian Johnson, Roger Dicken... Scott shaped it all, but he had a beautifully simple, linear script from which to fashion a damn near perfect film. It’s a pity he didn't stick to that philosophy of fine simplicity in his later outings.  

^ Very much this.   “Fills me with inertia”... I need to use that sometime, if you don’t mind. :laugh:

Be my guest. ;) 

18 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I guess that was the original idea behind Prometheus. I wish Scott had completely disassociated it with the ALIEN universe entirely and it could be its own standalone film. That said, I’m looking forward to Weyland Yutani - Building Better Worlds (the corporate training video). 

:laugh:

I once saw an ALIEN book done in the format of a Weyland-Yutani training manual.   Can’t for the life of me remember exactly when; might need to Google/Amazon it.

18 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Not to mention Giler and Hill’s uncredited rewrites, HR Giger’s designs, contributors like Jean Giraud (Moebius),  Terry Rawlings, Micheal Seymour, Brian Johnson, Roger Dicken... Scott shaped it all, but he had a beautifully simple, linear script from which to fashion a damn near perfect film. It’s a pity he didn't stick to that philosophy of fine simplicity in his later outings.  

^  

Yep.  All of this.

And yes I very much agree; ALIEN is, at its core, a very simple monster-loose-on-the-ship story.  It’s as old as ‘50s scifi movies.  ALIEN just gave it a deceptively complex layer of paint, but it’s really simple.  I think the greater mythology really began with ALIENS.

Sign in to follow this