Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

Alien Covenant

246 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Oh dear goodness no....:dontgetit:

Exactly what I thought...

And it's exactly what we thought and don't need...

28 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Exactly what I thought...

And it's exactly what we thought and don't need...

I guess the only bit of mystery we haven't had completely pulverized for us yet would be what the Engineers ate for breakfast...:dontgetit:

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I guess the only bit of mystery we haven't had completely pulverized for us yet would be what the Engineers ate for breakfast...:dontgetit:

Facehugger soup? :)

Crunchy battered chestburster 'n' chips

Alien egg "surprise" omelet with acid cheese (have your jars of TUMS ready)

Roast tongue (colloquially known as Red Snapper, but unrelated to the Earth fish of the same name). Comes with hot saliva broth.

...In fact, imagine if ALIEN 6 was about a couple of Engineers who are actually chefs! They decide to take their roving restaurant around the galaxy and end up crashing on LV-426. Turns out their "food truck" is the derelict from the original film, and its cargo is their fridge. Indeed, the raw materials inside are actually programmed at a genetic level to entice new investors into sampling the delicious treats the Chefs concocted...? It's one of those eggs that attempts to communicate this message to Kane, but it all goes a bit wrong. 

And then, full circle, we understand that actually it's all been a terrible misunderstanding, the Aliens are just a manifestation of the COSMIC GOOD FOOD GUIDE that got out of hand? Even David la Fassbender missed this.

They could re-release ALIEN with sub-titles and we begin to see that in fact the Big Chap is begging the crew of the Nostromo to help him set up a new food truck...

That'd be nice and neat, Unca Ridley! It'd all match up. No more of those pesky mysteries that clearly sent this once-great franchise in totally the wrong direction.

36 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Facehugger soup? :)

Crunchy battered chestburster 'n' chips

Alien egg "surprise" omelet with acid cheese (have your jars of TUMS ready)

Roast tongue (colloquially known as Red Snapper, but unrelated to the Earth fish of the same name). Comes with hot saliva broth.

^ Mystery solved...:laugh:

36 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

..In fact, imagine if ALIEN 6 was about a couple of Engineers who are actually chefs! They decide to take their roving restaurant around the galaxy and end up crashing on LV-426. Turns out their "food truck" is the derelict from the original film, and its cargo is their fridge. Indeed, the raw materials inside are actually programmed at a genetic level to entice new investors into sampling the delicious treats the Chefs concocted...? It's one of those eggs that attempts to communicate this message to Kane, but it all goes a bit wrong. 

And then, full circle, we understand that actually it's all been a terrible misunderstanding, the Aliens are just a manifestation of the COSMIC GOOD FOOD GUIDE that got out of hand? Even David la Fassbender missed this.

They could re-release ALIEN with sub-titles and we begin to see that in fact the Big Chap is begging the crew of the Nostromo to help him set up a new food truck...

That'd be nice and neat, Unca Ridley! It'd all match up. No more of those pesky mysteries that clearly sent this once-great franchise in totally the wrong direction.

2017050807542383622_2.jpg

Ripley: "We’ve the alien transmission through Mother...."

aliens twilight zone to serve man it's a cook book GIF  :giggle:

To paraphrase the great Red Letter Media guys, "this is all your fault! stop paying to see em!"

1 hour ago, kenman said:

To paraphrase the great Red Letter Media guys, "this is all your fault! stop paying to see em!"

You take a chance every time you buy a ticket; art is never a sure thing.  It’s almost always a gamble.
And I don’t buy the philosophy that you have to completely boycott an artist after one or two misfires; especially when they’ve been utterly brilliant up till now.  

After all, Scott gave us ALIEN, Blade Runner (two of my favorite movies of all time) and he also gave us “The Martian” (one of my favorite movies of the last five years), so there’s always hope that he’s got another good one up his sleeve.  

And the reviews I trust the most are my own... ;)

16 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

You take a chance every time you buy a ticket; art is never a sure thing.  It’s almost always a gamble.
And I don’t buy the philosophy that you have to completely boycott an artist after one or two misfires; especially when they’ve been utterly brilliant up till now.  

After all, Scott gave us ALIEN, Blade Runner (two of my favorite movies of all time) and he also gave us “The Martian” (one of my favorite movies of the last five years), so there’s always hope that he’s got another good one up his sleeve.  

And the reviews I trust the most are my own... ;)

Sure art is never a sure thing, but there was never a trailer for this movie that promised anything new or exciting, and Prometheus was a letdown to many.  I personally didn't think Prometheus was as awful as it's reputation, but everything about the trailer for Covenant led me to believe it was a rehash of the entire Alien franchise, with some connection to Prometheus. Then reviews pretty much said "yeah its exactly what you think it is."  So I didn't see it.  I don't want to go see most of these reboot/sequel/endless rehash movies nowadays...because I am interested, mostly, in stuff that is new.  I'd rather support something smaller that seems to have fresh ideas than pay to see the big budget rehashes, because even if the smaller budgeted thing doesn't end up feeling fresh, hey at least its the little guy. 

I'm not saying boycott anyone, but they keep making these rehashes of franchises that should've died years ago, people will complain that they are beating a dead horse, but then everyone lines up to go see the dead horse get a whoopin!  My point isn't so much "boycott Ridley Scott!!!" because I am a mild Prometheus defender and I really liked the Martian.  It has nothing to do with him, more to do with the studios.  I won't pay to see Jurassic World 2, because I didn't like Jurassic World and the franchise seems artless and out of ideas to me.  I hated Man of Steel, didn't waste my time and money on Batman v Superman. 

I find it somewhat strange that so many on the internet will slam a big movie made by a corporation, lamenting that it doesn't hold true to it's source material or whatnot...and then pay to see the sequel and complain some more.  Why not go see an indie film that might actually have a fresh take or just take a risk.  There have been some great sci-fi/horror/fantasy indies in the last decade. 

8 hours ago, kenman said:

Sure art is never a sure thing, but there was never a trailer for this movie that promised anything new or exciting, and Prometheus was a letdown to many.  I personally didn't think Prometheus was as awful as it's reputation, but everything about the trailer for Covenant led me to believe it was a rehash of the entire Alien franchise, with some connection to Prometheus. Then reviews pretty much said "yeah its exactly what you think it is."  So I didn't see it.  I don't want to go see most of these reboot/sequel/endless rehash movies nowadays...because I am interested, mostly, in stuff that is new.  I'd rather support something smaller that seems to have fresh ideas than pay to see the big budget rehashes, because even if the smaller budgeted thing doesn't end up feeling fresh, hey at least its the little guy. 

I'm not saying boycott anyone, but they keep making these rehashes of franchises that should've died years ago, people will complain that they are beating a dead horse, but then everyone lines up to go see the dead horse get a whoopin!  My point isn't so much "boycott Ridley Scott!!!" because I am a mild Prometheus defender and I really liked the Martian.  It has nothing to do with him, more to do with the studios.  I won't pay to see Jurassic World 2, because I didn't like Jurassic World and the franchise seems artless and out of ideas to me.  I hated Man of Steel, didn't waste my time and money on Batman v Superman. 

I find it somewhat strange that so many on the internet will slam a big movie made by a corporation, lamenting that it doesn't hold true to it's source material or whatnot...and then pay to see the sequel and complain some more.  Why not go see an indie film that might actually have a fresh take or just take a risk.  There have been some great sci-fi/horror/fantasy indies in the last decade. 

Wow, I'd never, ever thought of any of that! Thanks, Kenman! You can be sure those nasty studios aren't going to see any more of my hard-earned green stuff!   

:P

Srsly, dude? :) 

Please don't make me explain that we enjoy it... and that we just hope for better. I think that's an okay thing to do. In the specific case of this franchise, lamenting the direction the story has gone in is an absolutely valid response given Unca Ridley's cloth-eared, unimaginative manhandling of the mythology into god vs. angels dreariness. 

I also trust Vie's reviews and criticism, in case you missed that too. For the record, I do actually go out of my way to support smaller ventures in the arts, outside of all this Hollywood SF&F/geekery that we talk about on here. I guess we all consider ourselves patrons of the arts in one form or another. Discussion of same is what you get for your patronage, and as long as Scott continues in a direction I'm not happy with, I have a right to discuss that with my learned friend here [points at Vie] and express displeasure. 

Coz that is wot frenz do 

8 hours ago, kenman said:

Trailers can be wrong.  The trailers for STB were pretty mediocre, and it surprised me by exceeding my expectations.  Personally, I've seen longshot movies that shouldn't work (either based on a previous entry or the filmmakers involved) and wind up completely blowing me away.

Maybe (?) some of us just have an irrepressible optimism that allows us to take the gamble.  My love and affection for the first two ALIEN movies sometimes overrides my pessimism.  I think that's a healthier thing than just shutting things out and not allowing them the potential for improvement.   

As for BvS?  Yes, I agree it was pretty average but IMO it had some things worth seeing: Ben Affleck's Batman was surprising, and there were a few other elements I enjoyed.   If I stuck with the theory that 'the last one sucked so why bother' I probably wouldn't have seen Wonder Woman, which surprised the complete hell out of me.  It totally defied all precedent. 

THAT'S why I buy a ticket in the face of negative buzz and previous experience...the chance to be wrong and to be surprised; it's a great feeling.   

And you're assuming just because I watch commercial movies that I don't enjoy indie fare.  I I watch PLENTY of indie films as well; my Netlix (and Discflix) queue is full of them.  But I'm not going to waste a two hours or more in traffic to drive to L.A every time to see them.  When they come to my neck of the woods (I have a small art house theatre near me), I try to seek them out.   Not all of them of course, just the ones that pique my interest. I saw Duncan Jones' "Moon" twice in cinema, and last year my wife and I drove to Beverly Hills to see Ghibli Studios' "Red Turtle" (one of my favorite movies of last year).

Interest in commercial pop art doesn't negate interest in other art.   You shouldn't make the erroneous assumption of either/or.  Personal tastes are rarely so binary...

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Trailers can be wrong.  The trailers for STB were pretty mediocre, and it surprised me by exceeding my expectations.  Personally, I've seen longshot movies that shouldn't work (either based on a previous entry or the filmmakers involved) and wind up completely blowing me away.

Maybe (?) some of us just have an irrepressible optimism that allows us to take the gamble.  My love and affection for the first two ALIEN movies sometimes overrides my pessimism.  I think that's a healthier thing than just shutting things out and not allowing them the potential for improvement.   

As for BvS?  Yes, I agree it was pretty average but IMO it had some things worth seeing: Ben Affleck's Batman was surprising, and there were a few other elements I enjoyed.   If I stuck with the theory that 'the last one sucked so why bother' I probably wouldn't have seen Wonder Woman, which surprised the complete hell out of me.  It totally defied all precedent. 

THAT'S why I buy a ticket in the face of negative buzz and previous experience...the chance to be wrong and to be surprised; it's a great feeling.   

And you're assuming just because I watch commercial movies that I don't enjoy indie fare.  I I watch PLENTY of indie films as well; my Netlix (and Discflix) queue is full of them.  But I'm not going to waste a two hours or more in traffic to drive to L.A every time to see them.  When they come to my neck of the woods (I have a small art house theatre near me), I try to seek them out.   Not all of them of course, just the ones that pique my interest. I saw Duncan Jones' "Moon" twice in cinema, and last year my wife and I drove to Beverly Hills to see Ghibli Studios' "Red Turtle" (one of my favorite movies of last year).

Interest in commercial pop art doesn't negate interest in other art.   You shouldn't make the erroneous assumption of either/or.  Personal tastes are rarely so binary...

All this

I'm not suggesting that you don't actually seek out indie stuff.  That wasn't necessarily my intention.  And Hollywood big budgets can still make a good film, but there seems to be this branding and franchise loyalty thing that I really don't get anymore.  So often they feel more like products than the franchises I used to care for. I give stuff a shot often, but I tend not to bother in the theater too often with them, because feeding the beast that bites you seems silly. 

My point is more on this whole "oh god they are making another one! Why? Guess I'll have to pay to see it just in case they finally made a good one again!" mentality.  I'd rather spend MORE money on smaller stuff at the theater, than continually get suckered by the mega corporations.  You can see both, obviously, but I figure it is better to put my money towards the little stuff more than I go to the bigger stuff. 

For example, our good buddy Gus has made it clear on many an occasion that he doesn't care for Star Trek anymore. I don't begrudge him not paying his money on Trek anymore anymore. Brand loyalty is silly.  If he is truly done he need not worry about it anymore.  I have an active interest in Trek, so I will probably go see em.  But hell...if some of the trailers (particularly the later ones) and the early reviews for Beyond hadn't promised a better experience than Into Darkness had offered, I would've skipped that myself.  The first trailer had me pretty much assuming I would not pay to see it in the theater.  But they released better trailers and reviews changed my mind.  But Gus doesn't need to pay for Trek ever again, and I don't need to pay for all these endless sequels and franchise stuff that feels more assembly line and less artful, and I can just look out for and try and help out the smaller stuff. But obviously my money doesn't do much good, because only big name franchises can make any real splash anymore.  I am just tired of the same logos permeating our pop culture. That's me.

I haven't seen an Alien movie that really did something new and fresh since really Aliens. Prometheus tried some new stuff, but didn't truly succeed...so my love of the first two Aliens doesn't make me just want to slap more money down to see someone half try to expand on the new stuff from Prometheus and turn it into yet another bland take on the Alien...I've seen it remade too many times, to pay to see it when I can just watch the original for free at home anytime.

Buy your ticket, hopefully you can be surprised. But I would rather be surprised by new people and new ideas, rather than the surprise that they did a good job recreating my nostalgia or some character I enjoy from the past.  I don't mean to offend in any way, I love tons of pop art, or I wouldn't be a regular contributor to this forum about a pop art icon. I'd rather go to the theater for Arrival than for Alien Covenant is all.  At least one was new and different. 

5 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

".....Unca Ridley's cloth-eared, unimaginative manhandling of the mythology into god vs. angels dreariness". 

I'm actually fine with the god vs angels angle that he was going for except that he didn't really do that. He just dangled it in front of our faces and then didn't do anything at all with that story line. As you say, unimaginative. Based on that I didn't bother with this latest movie figuring it would be the same and it sounds like it was.

He's milking the franchise and we are taking notice. 

10 hours ago, kenman said:

Buy your ticket, hopefully you can be surprised. But I would rather be surprised by new people and new ideas, rather than the surprise that they did a good job recreating my nostalgia or some character I enjoy from the past. 

But again; I don’t see why this ‘one or the other’ mindset.  I feel that I can do both.   And it’s not only a hankering for nostalgia; it’s also a hope (however slim) that something can be what it has had the potential to be previously.   Call it brand name loyalty, whatever.   It is what it is.  

And I’ve seen plenty of new artists that suck out loud as well; being new and ‘indie’ isn’t a guarantee for an artistic slam-dunk.  

ANY art (be it big & commercial or small & independent) is a gamble for the person investing their time in it.   Sometimes I feel like something new, sometimes I want to revisit a familiar universe.  I feel I can have both in this lifetime. 

10 hours ago, kenman said:

I don't mean to offend in any way, I love tons of pop art, or I wouldn't be a regular contributor to this forum about a pop art icon. I'd rather go to the theater for Arrival than for Alien Covenant is all. 

No offense taken.  This is only a discussion, as far as I’m concerned.  ;)

And your last quoted sentence about Arrival and Covenant only reinforces my point;  either way, I still have the freedom to seek out BOTH.  And, in fact, I saw “Arrival” on opening weekend.  I was eager to see it.   Just as I was with “Moon,” “Predestination,” “Gattaca” and many others.  

I also enjoy the occasional big, commercial movie, like Wonder Woman... when they’re good.   And when they’re not?  Well, that’s the chance I take when I buy a ticket... for ANY movie. 

3 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

But again; I don’t see why this ‘one or the other’ mindset.  I feel that I can do both.   And it’s not only a hankering for nostalgia; it’s also a hope (however slim) that something can be what it has had the potential to be previously.   Call it brand name loyalty, whatever.   It is what it is.  

And I’ve seen plenty of new artists that suck out loud as well; being new and ‘indie’ isn’t a guarantee for an artistic slam-dunk.  

ANY art (be it big & commercial or small & independent) is a gamble for the person investing their time in it.   Sometimes I feel like something new, sometimes I want to revisit a familiar universe.  I feel I can have both in this lifetime. 

No offense taken.  This is only a discussion, as far as I’m concerned.  ;)

And your last quoted sentence about Arrival and Covenant only reinforces my point;  either way, I still have the freedom to seek out BOTH. 

Where we differ is not whether or not you can see both, my point is merely that I don't see much point in supporting the rehashes too much anymore, and I'd rather have less money in their pockets, and more money in the smaller and/or more original stuff.  You can always do both, sure (unless you have a 3 year old and work nights and just getting to the theater is a major chore), but really what I am getting at is that the big Hollywood stuff, like Alien Covenant, that just rehashes familiar things and doesn't seem to really take any chances...why support that financially?  Sure you are always taking a chance...but I would love for Hollywood to take more risks, and the only way to do that is maybe a little less money spent from audiences on the rehashes, and a few more dollars going to see new/smaller stuff.

5 minutes ago, kenman said:

Where we differ is not whether or not you can see both, my point is merely that I don't see much point in supporting the rehashes too much anymore, and I'd rather have less money in their pockets, and more money in the smaller and/or more original stuff.  You can always do both, sure (unless you have a 3 year old and work nights and just getting to the theater is a major chore), but really what I am getting at is that the big Hollywood stuff, like Alien Covenant, that just rehashes familiar things and doesn't seem to really take any chances...why support that financially?  Sure you are always taking a chance...but I would love for Hollywood to take more risks, and the only way to do that is maybe a little less money spent from audiences on the rehashes, and a few more dollars going to see new/smaller stuff.

Then by all means... 

The beauty of freedom of choice.  As for the bigger ‘franchise’ movies?  I usually get lots of movie passes for Christmas and I tend to spend them on those kinds of movies, so the investment for me personally is relatively minimal.   :P

And just to note: I’ve seen plenty of smaller, newer art films that suck out loud too... :giggle:

Just now, Sehlat Vie said:

Then by all means... 

The beauty of freedom of choice.  As for the bigger ‘franchise’ movies?  I usually get lots of movie passes for Christmas and I tend to spend them on those kinds of movies, so the investment for me personally is relatively minimal.   :P

Money still ends up in the box office for the movies is all...the returns is what greenlights these things...oh well.

Just now, kenman said:

Money still ends up in the box office for the movies is all...the returns is what greenlights these things...oh well.

My one (usually free) ticket won’t prevent another Transformers movie (which I don’t support, by the way; I truly hate those movies).   The growing Asian market pretty much guarantees empty, hollow action movies for decades to come whether I support them or not. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0