Sign in to follow this  
AvalonFive

TNG Movie help

So I've watched literally every episode of TNG twice, and every movie 2-3 times a piece, but I watched the films after the series. My girlfriend and I are going to start watching TNG from the beginning, as she's never seen it, and I'd like to know where in the series to watch the movies. I know that there are a number of episodes in which events from the movies are mentioned, so I'd like to know where in the series to watch each movie for the best experience.

Well...all the movies specifically take place after the series, so I don't think it matters, though you may want to introduce her to the Borg via "Q Who," and "Best of Both Worlds," though even that's not required as First Contact is essentially The Walking Robotic Dead. It's not all that deep.

Welcome, by the way. :)  

kenman   

Yea what Prom said, movies all take place post series.  I don't think they rely on any prior episodic mentions.  Not even the Duras Sisters in Generations really require background as their appearance is totally superfluous to their prior appearances. 

Yea what Prom said, movies all take place post series.  I don't think they rely on any prior episodic mentions.  Not even the Duras Sisters in Generations really require background as their appearance is totally superfluous to their prior appearances. 

Yeah. The only thing the did of relevance to the lore was "Redemption" and that only matters  if you're Trekkie enough to care.

So I've watched literally every episode of TNG twice, and every movie 2-3 times a piece, but I watched the films after the series. My girlfriend and I are going to start watching TNG from the beginning, as she's never seen it, and I'd like to know where in the series to watch the movies. I know that there are a number of episodes in which events from the movies are mentioned, so I'd like to know where in the series to watch each movie for the best experience.

Welcome aboard, Avalon 5!  Post often and enjoy. ;)

Well...all the movies specifically take place after the series, so I don't think it matters, though you may want to introduce her to the Borg via "Q Who," and "Best of Both Worlds," though even that's not required as First Contact is essentially The Walking Robotic Dead. It's not all that deep.

Welcome, by the way. :)  

^
Wise words.

I remember taking my non-Trekkie sister to see "First Contact" back in '96 and she got it without any setup;  Prom is right in that it is a zombie movie in space, but particularly well done, in this case.   There's a confidence in that movie that is missing from the following two, in my opinion. 

There's a confidence in that movie that is missing from the following two, in my opinion. 

I think that confidence is there simply because, while Insurrection and Nemesis are unfocused, First Contact knows exactly what it is. The story is a tight and knows what beats it has to hit and Frakes knows how to hit them.

First Contact was boring. Brand new Enterprise E...And she spent all of her time just sitting in orbit.

What, you forgot the whole opening battle against the cube, and the deflector dish fight?   

Sim   

I love FC and feel it's the best movie with the TNG crew.

But something about it doesn't "feel" like TNG. It has a very different tone and style. Doesn't mean I think any less of it, because it simply is a great Star Trek movie. But when I feel like "watching TNG", to get that "family feeling" from the series, FC is not a movie I'm thinking about.

INS is the opposite, IMO. It's basically a "best of-medley" of ideas stolen from various TNG episodes, and it's a really bad movie. IMO the worst of all ST movies next to NEM. But it has some of that "TNG family feeling". Doesn't really help the movie, though, because it's so bad.

First Contact was boring. Brand new Enterprise E...And she spent all of her time just sitting in orbit.

Yeah. And? Most of the episodes of "Enterprise" Trek  involved the ship just sitting there.

INS is the opposite, IMO. It's basically a "best of-medley" of ideas stolen from various TNG episodes, and it's a really bad movie. IMO the worst of all ST movies next to NEM. But it has some of that "TNG family feeling". Doesn't really help the movie, though, because it's so bad.

It feels like a bland S6 or 7 episode that someone found in a vault somewhere. 

Edited by prometheus59650

Yeah. And? Most of the episodes of "Enterprise" involved the ship just sitting there.

It feels like a bland S6 or 7 episode that someone found in a vault somewhere. 

A forgotten episode best left forgotten, IMO...

Amen. there's really nothing about it that I like.

Hell, I wrote a giant laundry list of all the things I hated about it once (in the movies thread a couple years ago), and there are times I think that I barely scratched the surface.   It's the ST movie I watch the least, though I'm still ashamed to say I own it (I own them all; I have a Monk-like compulsion to own the ST movies).   The only really 'good' things I can say about are the night I first saw it was a terrific night for me; it was my birthday and my then-wife and I were double dating with good friends of ours (who are still good friends).   Everything was terrific that night; the dinner, the walk afterward... everything except the movie. :P

I own them all, too, though I can't remember the last time I watched that movie and I can't imagine a reason I'd put it on.

I cringe watching it, and I'm embarrassed for the actors.

I'd watch in order of production.  Trek I-IV, Season 1-2 of TNG, Trek V, Seasons 3-5 - up to Unification, then Trek VI and then the rest of TNG & then the TNG movies. Even though you'll be following different timelines, you'll experience it as the fans at the time did, and get to experience the interplay between productions as they took place.

Sign in to follow this