priell3

New Star Trek TV Series Being Developed

“Star Trek” vs. peak TV: How can the campy, hopeful space drama compete with “Game of Thrones” and “The Walking Dead”?

http://www.salon.com/2015/11/04/star_trek_vs_peak_tv_how_can_the_campy_hopeful_space_drama_compete_with_game_of_thrones_and_the_walking_dead/

(Long story short: Star Trek is too optimistic and campy to survive in a Game of Thrones and Scandal era, though I appreciate the pot, kettle, blackism of someone who lauds Scandal while calling Trek campy)) 

Edited by prometheus59650

Sim   

“Star Trek” vs. peak TV: How can the campy, hopeful space drama compete with “Game of Thrones” and “The Walking Dead”?

http://www.salon.com/2015/11/04/star_trek_vs_peak_tv_how_can_the_campy_hopeful_space_drama_compete_with_game_of_thrones_and_the_walking_dead/

(Long story short: Star Trek is too optimistic and campy to survive in a Game of Thrones and Scandal era, though I appreciate the pot, kettle, blackism of someone who lauds Scandal calling Trek campy)) 

Simple answer to the author's question: Look at Doctor Who to get an idea how this works.

(Long story short: Star Trek is too optimistic and campy to survive in a Game of Thrones and Scandal era, though I appreciate the pot, kettle, blackism of someone who lauds Scandal calling Trek campy)) 

Simple answer to the author's question: Look at Doctor Who to get an idea how this works.

Indeed.

I love the internet wave calling it a fail before so much as a word of script has met page.

It's being talked about, bigtime. The Internet is visibly excited about Star Trek coming back. That's good.

Personally, I like how DS9 keeps getting mentioned in very positive terms all over the place. Yes, indeed, polish up those older valuable gems, CBS. 

Hmm,as a trek fan im really happy to have star trek back on the small screen,but as I lived in a other country,people like me may not even get the new series,plus it all depends on now they new trek movie will perform,if it stinks then cbs will pull the plug on the new show before that or it could be the best out of the three movies and make a lot of money.I will just wait until I hear about about this new star trek series.

That's what I'm curious about: how will the movie build up the tv show. I think many of us have covered the "what I want from the next show" on other threads. To me it seems like this upcoming movie would help lay the foundation for that show. 

Hmm,as a trek fan im really happy to have star trek back on the small screen,but as I lived in a other country,people like me may not even get the new series,plus it all depends on now they new trek movie will perform,if it stinks then cbs will pull the plug on the new show before that or it could be the best out of the three movies and make a lot of money.I will just wait until I hear about about this new star trek series.

That's what I'm curious about: how will the movie build up the tv show. I think many of us have covered the "what I want from the next show" on other threads. To me it seems like this upcoming movie would help lay the foundation for that show. 

Since it's virtually impossible to get Paramount and CBS to work together on Star Trek these days, i just don't know about that.

Since it's virtually impossible to get Paramount and CBS to work together on Star Trek these days, i just don't know about that.

An article I read on CNN this morning does seem to vaguely confirm that its not a third Kirk/Spock reboot; it promises 'all new characters.' 

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/03/entertainment/star-trek-future-feat/index.html

At least this is a promising sign; if I wanted a third TOS reboot?  I'd stick with ST Continues...

Sim   

An article I read on CNN this morning does seem to vaguely confirm that its not a third Kirk/Spock reboot; it promises 'all new characters.' 

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/03/entertainment/star-trek-future-feat/index.html

At least this is a promising sign; if I wanted a third TOS reboot?  I'd stick with ST Continues...

"All new characters" is indeed a good sign.

And a prerequisite for this restart to be as lasting as TNG's in 87.

Now let's hope their further decisions will be good, too.

Scotty   

I'd like to see it so long ad they bring back the original timeline. Also keep it in line with whats been said and done. I hope its the early Voyager of the original Enterprise 1701, the obe we seen in TOS not that moster of a ship that went wrong. I am also a bit annoyed, they for forget those who don't watch tv via a stream service, I don't stream. If its rubbish, I weep for this franchise, I'd boycott it if I don't like what they are going to do.

Sim   

Thats the one thing that WILL put me off.....TOS has had it's day.....twice. The franchise needs to move forward, not backwards.

Agreed.

I suspect they already have something in mind at CBS digital about this series, and probably have scripts, and they will ignore the movies.

I cannot say yet whether or not it will be any good, but let's not strike it down as completely a clunker if they don't do exactly what we fan boys and gals want. If they did exactly what we want, it would probably not be very good at all. So many fans seen Star Trek in vastly different ways, but most seem to agree that the 700 hours of previous prime timeline was better than the current prequel movies. Although those who liked the prequel movies are not into the older stuff so much.

I would not be so concerned with high camp. It's not going to be campy. If anything, it will likely be dark and episodic, as scifi tends to be that since Batman and new BSG. Hopefully it won't be too dark.

Also if they want to make money, HD versions of DS9 and Voyager are on the way. They should also do some kind of on TV 50th reunion special.

They need to put this on TV too, if they're smart.

Thats the one thing that WILL put me off.....TOS has had it's day.....twice. The franchise needs to move forward, not backwards.

^

Very much this.  

Also if they want to make money, HD versions of DS9 and Voyager are on the way. 

Wishful thinking that I wish for, but there is zero hint whatsoever that this is happening. The problem is they they aren't doing it because they won't make money. Rumor has it it'll cost another $7-$9M more to do DS9 and VOY than it did to do TNG.

The profit will not be there in straight sales.

Sim   

IMO, it would be a huge mistake to once again recast TOS and/or tie the new series too closely to NuTrek.

NuTrek has failed to truly attract new fans. The old fans went seeing it, half of them passionately hated it, and a couple of millions casual watchers went seeing it, too. But of the latter group, no significant share was so invested or inspired by it to truly become "Star Trek fans". They were more like, "hey, it was an okay popcorn movie, but 'insert random superhero movie' last month was better".

Back when posting on TrekWeb, not a single(!) new member joined because of either of the NuTrek movies. The site still had dozens of regulars the time ENT was on air, and even when ENT's rating were very bad, there were still newbees signing up because of it. NuTrek did not bring a single(!) new member. That may have partially had to do with that site in particular, but not exclusively. NuTrek may have been a success in attracting casual viewers, but it did nothing to procreate the brand or to increase it.

As long as Trek is just rebooting and feeding off of past glory, it will never be relevant or even successful again. It has to go forward, not backward.

Edited by Sim

I can definitely see why CBS passed on Renegades. That said Renegades is getting tons of talent which could improve on many of the things I found problematic with the first one (though the tonal issues would be hard to fix).

What this show's quality will come down to is the talent running the writer's room. If it is someone who has TV experience and find a staff that can blend a mix of humor and drama, utilize sci-fi concepts, and talk about social issues actually relevant to the modern world? I'd be in.  Kurtzman isn't going to be running the show, he is just gonna be the top brass. 

It would also be lovely to have a diverse cast, but TV casting has been going that way lately with hit shows like Scandal, How to Get Away With Murder, Empire, Black-ish....people want diverse casting, so I think that a Trek show (a franchise that was ahead of the curve in the 60s on this), would be an instant failure if it didn't attempt this. 

I just hope that Kurtzman as exec producer is a better thing than Kurtzman the co-writer and maker of average television shows.

That said?  I'm also hoping this new series truly pushes boundaries and doesn't just rehash the '60s program's format.   It has to be new and it has to find its own voice.   Part of what hurt TNG's earliest seasons (aside from the bats#!t crazy stories) was the attempt to over-emulate TOS ("Code of Honor" = "Amok Time", "Naked Now"="Naked Time", "Home Soil" = "Devil in the Dark", etc etc.).    It wasn't till S2 began to do some stories that took advantage of the unique nature of the new crew's makeup and S3 took even more confident strides.  DS9 even more so.

If a new ST series is just about a new ship & uniforms but with the same format, then I have to ask: what's the point?  We already have 750-odd hours of Star Trek in the can, along with some excellent ST fan films for all of that.  I want a ST that uses the brand name as a lure, but takes the audience into new and unexpected places rather than just rehash the old series' pablum once again.   If the new series lacks the ambition to take ST to new heights, then they could just call it Star Trek: The Next Regurgitation. 

Agreed. If the setting of the series on aboard the Enterprise-J I will not even watch the first episode. 

IMO, it would be a huge mistake to once again recast TOS and/or tie the new series too closely to NuTrek.

NuTrek has failed to truly attract new fans. The old fans went seeing it, half of them passionately hated it, and a couple of millions casual watchers went seeing it, too. But of the latter group, no significant share was so invested or inspired by it to truly become "Star Trek fans". They were more like, "hey, it was an okay popcorn movie, but 'insert random superhero movie' last month was better".

Back when posting on TrekWeb, not a single(!) new member joined because of either of the NuTrek movies. The site still had dozens of regulars the time ENT was on air, and even when ENT's rating were very bad, there were still newbees signing up because of it. NuTrek did not bring a single(!) new member. That may have partially had to do with that site in particular, but not exclusively. NuTrek may have been a success in attracting casual viewers, but it did nothing to procreate the brand or to increase it.

As long as Trek is just rebooting and feeding off of past glory, it will never be relevant or even successful again. It has to go forward, not backward.

ditto X 10

Sim   

I can definitely see why CBS passed on Renegades. That said Renegades is getting tons of talent which could improve on many of the things I found problematic with the first one (though the tonal issues would be hard to fix).

What this show's quality will come down to is the talent running the writer's room. If it is someone who has TV experience and find a staff that can blend a mix of humor and drama, utilize sci-fi concepts, and talk about social issues actually relevant to the modern world? I'd be in.  Kurtzman isn't going to be running the show, he is just gonna be the top brass. 

It would also be lovely to have a diverse cast, but TV casting has been going that way lately with hit shows like Scandal, How to Get Away With Murder, Empire, Black-ish....people want diverse casting, so I think that a Trek show (a franchise that was ahead of the curve in the 60s on this), would be an instant failure if it didn't attempt this. 

I just hope that Kurtzman as exec producer is a better thing than Kurtzman the co-writer and maker of average television shows.

That said?  I'm also hoping this new series truly pushes boundaries and doesn't just rehash the '60s program's format.   It has to be new and it has to find its own voice.   Part of what hurt TNG's earliest seasons (aside from the bats#!t crazy stories) was the attempt to over-emulate TOS ("Code of Honor" = "Amok Time", "Naked Now"="Naked Time", "Home Soil" = "Devil in the Dark", etc etc.).    It wasn't till S2 began to do some stories that took advantage of the unique nature of the new crew's makeup and S3 took even more confident strides.  DS9 even more so.

If a new ST series is just about a new ship & uniforms but with the same format, then I have to ask: what's the point?  We already have 750-odd hours of Star Trek in the can, along with some excellent ST fan films for all of that.  I want a ST that uses the brand name as a lure, but takes the audience into new and unexpected places rather than just rehash the old series' pablum once again.   If the new series lacks the ambition to take ST to new heights, then they could just call it Star Trek: The Next Regurgitation. 

Agreed. If the setting of the series on aboard the Enterprise-J I will not even watch the first episode. 

Well in that case, you might rob yourself of the experience of watching a potentially great series. ;)

I can't speak for Sehlat, but while I agree with every word he said, I don't think just because the new series might be on another ship named "Enterprise", it's necessarily a reurgitation of the same old format. There are many ways to make the new series fresh and new, even when it's on a ship named "Enterprise" again. (Which doesn't mean I think it's necessary to make another Enterprise ship-show.)

The main problem with the old format, IMO, which perhaps wouldn't work anymore today, has more to do with storytelling, pace and style.

Old BSG and NuBSG were both "shows about a military space vehicle named Galactica fighting against Cylons", yet they were vastly different in regards to the factors I named above.

A new Star Trek television series is in the works at CBS, according to a report from The Hollywood Reporter. Producer Alex Kurtzman is taking the lead on the new series.

And official announcement is expected to offer more details later today, but the report suggests the project is currently searching for a writer, and will seek a home on a cable network or streaming service.

If development on the series moves at a fair pace, the series could premiere in time for the franchise’s 50th anniversary in fall 2016.

The franchise has been mired in rights disputes between CBS and Paramount after the CBS and Viacom merger in 2000. Nonetheless, the series has continued through two reboot films, with a third on the way. Kurtzman serves as producer on those films.

http://comicbook.com/2015/11/02/new-star-trek-tv-series-being-developed/

113636-I-have-a-very-bad-feeling-abou-iR

Hammer   

Yeah, with his involvement with the films, I'm wondering why fans think this will be a return to the prime timeline. Do they think fan pressure will sway him?

Sim   

Yeah, with his involvement with the films, I'm wondering why fans think this will be a return to the prime timeline. Do they think fan pressure will sway him?

Could be neither. There is the option of a "canon agnostic" variant: Just put the series far enough into the future beyond the 24th century, so it won't matter if it's Prime or Nu timeline.

Well in that case, you might rob yourself of the experience of watching a potentially great series. ;)

I can't speak for Sehlat, but while I agree with every word he said, I don't think just because the new series might be on another ship named "Enterprise", it's necessarily a reurgitation of the same old format. There are many ways to make the new series fresh and new, even when it's on a ship named "Enterprise" again. (Which doesn't mean I think it's necessary to make another Enterprise ship-show.)

The main problem with the old format, IMO, which perhaps wouldn't work anymore today, has more to do with storytelling, pace and style.

Old BSG and NuBSG were both "shows about a military space vehicle named Galactica fighting against Cylons", yet they were vastly different in regards to the factors I named above.

Yes, but we're assuming that the writers/creators of this new ST series will be as inventive as Ron Moore and his team; nothing to date suggests that Alex Kurtzman is much more than a lucky hack.   Almost every single item on his resume is an exercise in style-over-substance programming.   This is the guy who cowrote "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" and "Amazing Spiderman 2" (!!).  That alone should disqualify him from producing a ST series.    The only thing that gives me a shred of optimism is the hope that maybe (just maybe) he can put together a competent writing team and not touch any of the scripts himself.   If Kurtzman is 'hands on' with the writers, as Ron Moore was with BSG?   Well, as Founder so succinctly put it...

113636-I-have-a-very-bad-feeling-abou-iR

Now, I won't just boycott it because it features a new starship Enterprise; that's an extreme and close-minded response.   As you pointed out Sim, there are many variations within that format that could still differentiate it from the parent show (TNG also had a new Enterprise, but was a very different kind of show).   But given Kurtzman's long track record of mindless, slick, unsubstantial programming?  I'm cautious, to put it mildly.   My hope is somewhat dimmed. 

If his name were not attached to the project, I would feel a bit better.  But I'm going to give it a chance (of course) because:

A.  It had me at "Star Trek"... 

and 

B.  I love being wrong.  ;)

Yes, but we're assuming that the writers/creators of this new ST series will be as inventive as Ron Moore and his team; nothing to date suggests that Alex Kurtzman is much more than a lucky hack.   Almost every single item on his resume is an exercise in style-over-substance programming.   This is the guy who cowrote "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" and "Amazing Spiderman 2" (!!).  That alone should disqualify him from producing a ST series.    The only thing that gives me a shred of optimism is the hope that maybe (just maybe) he can put together a competent writing team and not touch any of the scripts himself.   If Kurtzman is 'hands on' with the writers, as Ron Moore was with BSG?   Well, as Founder so succinctly put it...

One has to look at his current television slate. If he doesn't specifically hire a new team for this, it's left to the current crop more or less and seeing those shows in his stable where he's EP, most of it is at least serviceable, though Hawaii 5-0 has no reason to exist and never did, but all of it's unremarkable at the end of the day.