priell3

New Star Trek TV Series Being Developed

308 posts in this topic

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/nov/02/star-trek-returns-to-television-tv

And in an update about the new STAR TREK series, it already looks like the NY Post also hates the idea

http://nypost.com/2015/11/02/cbs-is-already-ruining-the-star-trek-tv-reboot

Gus

The NY Post is not really the most august and even-handed of papers...

True, but even a broken clock is right twice a day; they have a couple of good points mixed in with the hyperbole.   A mid-season run on a streaming service (one that no one watches, really) does seem like shabby treatment for the series that was once a staple of '80s and '90s TV.   Not to mention that the last two movies made respectable bank.   

Granted, $5.95 (or whatever it is) isn't much to pay to see ST on the small screen again (and by small, I mean whatever device one chooses to watch it on), but it does feel a bit like ST is being relegated to second-tier entertainment, and that's unfortunate.  It also feels vaguely Ferengi-ish.... 

And I won't even go into my whole mistrust of Alex Kurtzman thing... :P

I just went to Facebook awhile ago and noticed something posted from the Star Trek facebook page telling about the news of a new Star Trek tv series set to start in 2017.   

I can't wait!    Hopefully its in the post-Voyager years.    

I'm actually hoping TOS, or maybe the era between TOS/TNG.

Naw, that would be just another reboot, or at least be reboot-ish. I can't see reboots anymore. I'd rather see them come up with something fresh and new. Not another copy of a copy of a copy. And the best way to do that I can think of, would be setting it even further into the future beyond the 24th century.

But then, no matter what they'll do, I'll look at it with an open mind.

No More REBOOTS ... NO! :cylonnono:

Haha, it's time they moved the story on. I quite like an idea of a time jump from the last TNG movie. Gives them scope to play around with the existing universe and add in new races etc. Be great to see post-Dominion war Federation and Starfleet.

I just went to Facebook awhile ago and noticed something posted from the Star Trek facebook page telling about the news of a new Star Trek tv series set to start in 2017.   

Naw, that would be just another reboot, or at least be reboot-ish. I can't see reboots anymore. I'd rather see them come up with something fresh and new. Not another copy of a copy of a copy. And the best way to do that I can think of, would be setting it even further into the future beyond the 24th century.

Haha, it's time they moved the story on. I quite like an idea of a time jump from the last TNG movie. Gives them scope to play around with the existing universe and add in new races etc. Be great to see post-Dominion war Federation and Starfleet.

Agreed.

I would like to see the series go even further; beyond the 24th century.  Maybe the 27th or 29th.  Maybe Federation starships are flying into the Magellanic clouds, or opening negotiations with the Kelvans in Andromeda (?)...

Agreed.

I would like to see the series go even further; beyond the 24th century.  Maybe the 27th or 29th.  Maybe Federation starships are flying into the Magellanic clouds, or opening negotiations with the Kelvans in Andromeda (?)...

This! That would allow to bring in new, truly futuristic tech (because it looks like many technologies are even more advanced in 2015 than in the 24th century) and it would avoid falling into the continuity-trap.

The new series should be a step forward, at least as much as TNG was a step forward from TOS back in 1987, perhaps more so. It needs to be fresh and new. If it attempted exploiting the past just another time, the new series would quickly burn out again. WInning new audiences, rather than milking the old fanbase that's aging quickly anyway, until the last one switches off the light on the way out.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/nov/02/star-trek-returns-to-television-tv

And in an update about the new STAR TREK series, it already looks like the NY Post also hates the idea

Gus

True, but even a broken clock is right twice a day; they have a couple of good points mixed in with the hyperbole.   A mid-season run on a streaming service (one that no one watches, really) does seem like shabby treatment for the series that was once a staple of '80s and '90s TV.   Not to mention that the last two movies made respectable bank.   

Granted, $5.95 (or whatever it is) isn't much to pay to see ST on the small screen again (and by small, I mean whatever device one chooses to watch it on), but it does feel a bit like ST is being relegated to second-tier entertainment, and that's unfortunate.  It also feels vaguely Ferengi-ish.... 

Well, TNG started on syndication, which was perhaps "a shabby treatment" too, but proved to be a huge creative advantage. The moment 90s-ST went on a network, it went downhill. Part of that was probably due to network demands to make VOY/ENT fit better into their program (showing more boobs and action and less brain).

Perhaps we'll have to live with it that a mainstream audience is not exactly holding its breath for a new ST series. But this could prove to be a good opportunity. I'd rather see a series that's a bit niche, that just because of that can take more creative freedom, than some dumbed-down mass-compatible "superhero show in space" in NuTrek fashion (while I enjoy NuTrek, I think it would be a grave mistake to make a tv series in the same style).

And assuming the show runs well by CBSAA-standards, the odds of a cancellation are lower than on a big free tv network, where it needs much better ratings to even be renewed.

Edited by Sim

Gus

Honestly, I'm ambivalent about a new series, particularly because of the paywall.  It's just more money-grubbing from CBS and Paramount.  I spend money on books, ornaments, and other stuff, but I'm a little tired of this assumption that I'm just going shell out money because it's Trek.  Remember how the DVDs were twice as expensive ($120) as the typical season of a series?  Years later, the prices are still far above many series being sold in stores.  They should appreciate that fans will watch the show, talk about it, keep it alive, and not try to get them to pay just to see the damn episodes on top of all other merchandising.

hello everybody,

id like to get in on this.

Star trek belongs on tv. that is the way it was set up. everybody is having fun speculating about the direction of the show. i just hope it is good "star trek".

moving the conversation along...

This is more than 2 years away. we all know how fast the entertainment world moves. 2 years from now may as well be 10 years from now. who knows where this will be by then.

depending on...

-what happens with the new movie

-where all this superhero stuff is going

-what if star wars is really bad

-what will the state of genre tv be by then?

-will this still be a good idea for CBS in a year?

-the way properties get moved around for all we know CBS may not even own Star Trek in 2 years.

here is my big question. CBS All Access.

i dont have a problem with the idea. TNG ran in first run syndication. that was a new thing. some people thought that it would pigeon hole the show (see Small Wonder) as local network filler material. instead it made first run syndication more respectable.

but guys... we have seen this technology move at a crazy pace for the last few years. the landscape keeps changing. its in total flux.

What will CBS All Access be in 2 years? the whole model for streaming content could be changed by then. the model as it is now isnt even a real "model" because this all just sort of started happening.

the next 2 years will further blow up the whole system for viewing content at home.

so, lets sit back and watch this unfold. groundbreaking things are happening. its a fun time to be a fan of entertainment.

(this is coming from a person who would get home from school in the afternoon and wait for HBO to come on at 4:00)

(a person who would spend a week dubbing 100 cassettes of his band so he could hand them out)

(a person who used his computer science class in high school to print a database (dot matrix!) of his homemade VHS taped off of tv collection of star trek episodes)

b.

2 years??....not quite. More like 1 year and just under 2 months (January 2017)

Outside of the US, the show will run on standard TV networks (that's what I am led to believe from the various new reportings)

I WAS TOLD THERE WOULD BE NO MATH!

correct. jan 2017 is just over a year way. we change the clocks one hour and i dont know what year it is. it happens.

still. that is a long time.

and all the other stuff i said.

my fire stick does things today that it didnt do 3 moths ago. roku now is totally different than roku a year ago.

everything is changing week to week.

the whole system for watching tv will be different in a year.

whatever "watching tv" actually is anymore.

unless they are hiring writers and actors and building sets then this is something on a piece of paper.

cbs isnt making a new star trek show because they think the world would benefit from more science fiction. this is a calculated move based on market conditions in a very volatile market. this is, for right now, CBS's "transparent" or "orange is the new black". if they get an idea between now and then that star trek isnt the show to push that platform further then i wouldnt be surprised to see their plans change.

remember...

9 months and a day ago robert orci was finishing the new trek script and getting ready to start filming.

b.

Edited by brett
clarity

I'm actually excited that star trek is returning to TV!, can't wait to see what new stuff they'll add!

I don't think I've posted on here in a good few years, but OH MY GOD THIS NEWS. I just ran around my flat screaming and laughing with excitement and it had to be shared!! I'm hoping for a Post Voyager show with DS9 style story arcs.

Gus

They do, that's the scary thing. I agree with most of what they say. I'm trying - desperately straining, more like - to remain positive... 

Gus

This incredibly stupid whining makes me aggressive.

They have an issue with it running on a streaming service? Seriously, who is even still watching "normal" tv these days? I don't know anybody except 70 year old pensioners.

Not even a writer has been assigned to it. There is no decision whatsoever about the concept. Yet this smartass at NY Post whines already? F*** him.

LOL.

I'm not 70, but I still do. Difference is that I'm not absolutely wedded to it. My biggest thing is that I don't want to watch it on PC. I paid good money for my big tv TV and it's NOT going to waste. :) Solve that problem and I'm more than happy to stream.

Gus

They do, that's the scary thing. I agree with most of what they say. I'm trying - desperately straining, more like - to remain positive... 

Forget it. The new series will suck, so much we can say for sure today. Because Shatner will not be in it.

Gus

This incredibly stupid whining makes me aggressive.

They have an issue with it running on a streaming service? Seriously, who is even still watching "normal" tv these days? I don't know anybody except 70 year old pensioners.

Not even a writer has been assigned to it. There is no decision whatsoever about the concept. Yet this smartass at NY Post whines already? F*** him.

LOL.

I'm not 70, but I still do. Difference is that I'm not absolutely wedded to it. My biggest thing is that I don't want to watch it on PC. I paid good money for my big tv TV and it's NOT going to waste. :) Solve that problem and I'm more than happy to stream.

I perfectly understand that. ;)

Before cheap streaming became easily available, most people I knew watched their illegal downloads on their big tv sets, or they waited for the DVD release.

You simply don't want to wait 2 years after the US first airing for a series to arrive on German free tv, cut into bits and pieces and interspersed with commercials. My guess is on German tv, about half of the runtime of series' like "Dexter" or "The Walking Dead" or even "Game of Thrones" was cut away. Plus you are limited to the dubbed version on tv, rather than being able to choose subs or original English. Free tv is simply no alternative to legal or illegal downloads anymore.

Edited by Sim

If Shatner's not in it, I'm not watching. :P

I wonder how anybody could possibly expect the new series to be a success, when Shatner is not in it. :P

The streaming thing doesn't bother me because my computer is hooked up via and HDMI to the TV, so anything streaming is readily available on my TV.  WIth things like ROku or Apple TV, you can get the CBS app and they can easily be on a TV.  What does bother me about the fact that it will be streaming is that it is streaming on a rather badly made streaming service. CBS has long had a bad habit of making badly designed streaming services.  When I decided in college to venture and watch every episode of original Trek I had yet to see, I watched it on their streaming site because it was a free and easy way to see it...but their site was pretty bad then even compared to the early days of Hulu.  My wife currently tries to watch a few CBS shows and often has problems with their player to this day.  If CBS would just make like ABC/Fox/NBC and get on Hulu properly, then I'd be all for it.

I have no plan, Trek or not, to purchase a glitchy streaming service for one show.

The streaming thing doesn't bother me because my computer is hooked up via and HDMI to the TV, so anything streaming is readily available on my TV.  WIth things like ROku or Apple TV, you can get the CBS app and they can easily be on a TV.  What does bother me about the fact that it will be streaming is that it is streaming on a rather badly made streaming service. CBS has long had a bad habit of making badly designed streaming services.  When I decided in college to venture and watch every episode of original Trek I had yet to see, I watched it on their streaming site because it was a free and easy way to see it...but their site was pretty bad then even compared to the early days of Hulu.  My wife currently tries to watch a few CBS shows and often has problems with their player to this day.  If CBS would just make like ABC/Fox/NBC and get on Hulu properly, then I'd be all for it.

I have no plan, Trek or not, to purchase a glitchy streaming service for one show.

I hope the series will be available on Amazon Prime in Germany. In that case, I wouldn't have to purchase any additional service.

They did that with other series' before on the German market; for example, "Fear the Walking Dead" was available exclusive on Amazon Prime just one day after the first US airing.

What does bother me about the fact that it will be streaming is that it is streaming on a rather badly made streaming service. CBS has long had a bad habit of making badly designed streaming services. 

Well, they have a year to make it presentable. 

If Shatner's not in it, I'm not watching. :P

I wonder how anybody could possibly expect the new series to be a success, when Shatner is not in it. :P

No Shatner, no peace.  :laugh:

Well, TNG started on syndication, which was perhaps "a shabby treatment" too, but proved to be a huge creative advantage.

A very good point; and when TNG debuted, there were quite a few markets that didn't play it.   In the early days of the show, there were a lot of VHS tapes circulating to 'blackout' areas that couldn't get it. 

I'm actually excited that star trek is returning to TV!

Well, there's the rub; technically it's not coming to TV... unless your TV is hooked up to a streaming device, like a Roku or even a blu ray player with streaming capability.   My Sony BR player's menu recently dropped it's Netflix option in a firmware update (!!) so I'm hoping they don't drop the option for CBS All Access either; otherwise, I'm watching on my desktop, laptop or even my iPhone if necessary.

As Sim pointed out however, this is ST's way of appealing to the new generations; the same way TOS broadcast in color (when many shows were just barely getting color), the same way TNG debuted in first run syndication (which used to be a ghetto of game shows and kiddie programming), and the same way VGR spearheaded the short-lived UPN network.   And the way ENT debuted in both widescreen and HD.  

ST has always pointed a way to the future.   Here's hoping the content of the new show is as progressive as its delivery system.. 

ST has always pointed a way to the future.   Here's hoping the content of the new show is as progressive as its delivery system.. 

Amen! to that!

Maybe the biggest risk is that they'll try to tie it in too closely with the NuTrek movies. That could work if done well, but I also see many ways it could severely limit the new series' potential.

The fact that it's on a streaming service may be good. If it was on a network with a big budget, they might try to make it like NuTrek. If they have a more limited budget they may try to make up for the limited special effects with good scripts.

Les Moonves on Star Trek and challenges for CBS:

He hopes to become a significant digital player via CBS All Access, which received a big boost this week with the company’s announcement about a new Star Trek series, which Moonves refers to as “the family jewels.” It will premiere in January 2017 with a preview broadcast on CBS followed by an exclusive run in the U.S. on CBS All Access.

The series will “make all Star Trek fans very proud…We can see millions of them joining All Access.” It already has the previous five series in the sci-fi franchise.

Trek has “done exceedingly well in streaming…Even the ones that were done 30 or 40 years ago still resonate today.” It’s “a huge international franchise, so our international distribution guy is going crazy.”

The series also is “a very important piece of business for us” as All Access establishes itself as a home for original programming. “Knowing the loyalty of the Star Trek fan base, this will boost it.”

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/les-moonves-sees-rosy-prospects-230150057.html

Now Les, it just has to be good.

And if they are the family jewels, how about giving the last two an HD polish.

Edited by prometheus59650

Hmm,as a trek fan im really happy to have star trek back on the small screen,but as I lived in a other country,people like me may not even get the new series,plus it all depends on now they new trek movie will perform,if it stinks then cbs will pull the plug on the new show before that or it could be the best out of the three movies and make a lot of money.I will just wait until I hear about about this new star trek series.

Woo hooo! I can't wait! I hoping for something in the Prime universe and the 25th century.

Edited by Aesir