priell3

New Star Trek TV Series Being Developed

Pretty much, yeah. I've long since given up hope though and moved onto pastures new when it comes to sci-fi. If this mob prove me wrong then fair enough but I won't hold my breath ...

kenman   

Despite Kurtzman's involvement I am going to try and remain optimistic.  He is a Producer, but nowhere does it say he is to be a showrunner, maybe they can get the right guy to run the thing.  I assume his involvement means alternate reality, but I would love it if it were just so far in the future the reality doesn't matter.  But hey... a new cast, a new group of character, a new ship?  A new show!  I am looking forward to whatever comes...and hope I don't feel like I am actually forcing myself to watch it every week. 

Also this all seems pretty official from CBS. 

Well as I read more, the thing I find most concerning is that it will be mostly available on CBS All Access, which if their free version is any indication, CBS has no idea how to make a convenient player that can work well.  So that is the big issue with this whole thing...its that the new Trek will be on a really bad online streaming service.  CBS should've got on board with Hulu or even gone all in with Netflix.  Instead they want to create their own personal separate streaming service, and it is ill fated I think...which does not bode well for this new series. 

Despite Kurtzman's involvement I am going to try and remain optimistic.  He is a Producer, but nowhere does it say he is to be a showrunner, maybe they can get the right guy to run the thing.  

And that's what he does. As it is, he has his name on four shows as "Executive Producer" (Hawaii 5-0, Sleepy Hollow, Limitless, and Scorpion) Now Trek. Add to this his movie work and there is literally no way he's hands-on with all of those shows. He provides notes at best. Someone else will be steering the show and I suggest we wait for that name and then judge.

Well as I read more, the thing I find most concerning is that it will be mostly available on CBS All Access, which if their free version is any indication, CBS has no idea how to make a convenient player that can work well.  So that is the big issue with this whole thing...its that the new Trek will be on a really bad online streaming service.  CBS should've got on board with Hulu 

I suspect that since all the major networks have a stake in Hulu you will see it come there eventually, but I think they really want to try to drive people to CBSAA.

As it is, I do not want to watch the show on my PC so unless they come up with a Playstation app I'm going to have to buy a Roku or Chromecast. Anyone use either and can recommend?

Are they fast tracking this thing into production because there really is no 50th reunion planned and they've been told, get something out by next year, or like 2017?

If the next movie makes money, then it might happen, but if it flops, it likely would not, unless Paramount and CBS play like they're still not related somehow?

It seems too good to be true, except the streaming thing, so why not on actual television? Then later we can buy up the DVDs at the end of each season?

The fact that it's on trekmovie doesn't mean anything, but it is on startrek.com too. Did the trades run it first or is it one of those cart before the horse deals?

Yup - just saw this on io9:

http://io9.com/holy-crap-they-are-officially-making-a-new-star-trek-t-1740024705

I've looked around and yes, this does seem legit but am I the only one really concerned that it's being produced by Alex Kurtzman?  His is not a name that is entirely endeared to all ST fans...

No, you are not, ol' pal. 

I want it to be good Star Trek! Kurtzman, it should be noted, is only listed as exec. How much that means in terms of day-to-day showrunning, who knows how deep his involvement will be? At the very least, he knows how to make episodic TV. The real question is what kind of writers he hires - whether it's people really interested in science and science fiction or just the usual regurgitated bobbins he served up on previous shows he's resided over. Let's hope he rises to the occasion. 

Despite Kurtzman's involvement I am going to try and remain optimistic.  He is a Producer, but nowhere does it say he is to be a showrunner, maybe they can get the right guy to run the thing.  

And that's what he does. As it is, he has his name on four shows as "Executive Producer" (Hawaii 5-0, Sleepy Hollow, Limitless, and Scorpion) Now Trek. Add to this his movie work and there is literally no way he's hands-on with all of those shows. He provides notes at best. Someone else will be steering the show and I suggest we wait for that name and then judge.

Well as I read more, the thing I find most concerning is that it will be mostly available on CBS All Access, which if their free version is any indication, CBS has no idea how to make a convenient player that can work well.  So that is the big issue with this whole thing...its that the new Trek will be on a really bad online streaming service.  CBS should've got on board with Hulu 

I suspect that since all the major networks have a stake in Hulu you will see it come there eventually, but I think they really want to try to drive people to CBSAA.

As it is, I do not want to watch the show on my PC so unless they come up with a Playstation app I'm going to have to buy a Roku or Chromecast. Anyone use either and can recommend?

yep, this. 

Are they fast tracking this thing into production because there really is no 50th reunion planned and they've been told, get something out by next year, or like 2017?

A year and change really isn't fast-tracking television.

If the next movie makes money, then it might happen, but if it flops, it likely would not, unless Paramount and CBS play like they're still not related somehow?

Paramount and CBS are owned by the same company and that's the extent of their togetherness.

And everything past First Contact bombed and that didn't stop Trek on TV.

It seems too good to be true, except the streaming thing, so why not on actual television? Then later we can buy up the DVDs at the end of each season?

Everything streamed eventually makes it to DVD. That's just how it works. And it's not going to be on actual television because science-fiction dies a slow death on tv.  

And anything that's on the official site (startrek.com) is real.

Starblind didn't say that, Prometheus did, but anyway:

We have a WD box, but I've heard good things about Roku, which was our second choice. We went with WD as it allows us to stream all sorts of foreign language media - my wife needed that.  But I'd think CBS would want their streaming service available on as many platforms as possible, so it should be accessible as on-demand cable service addition? (I'm assuming.)

A friend of mine who knows a few Hollywood types had this to say about the new show when I mentioned Kurtzman's involvement: "The other name in the press release - Heather Kadin - is more encouraging. She's the exec producer on Scorpion and Limitless." He likes both those shows, whereas I watch neither, but - as he says - room for hope. 

Edited by Robin Bland

Never watched Scorpion, but I've seen a few episodes of Limitless. It's not bad. Not groundbreaking, but it's not bad.

We'll see what happens.

Never watched Scorpion, but I've seen a few episodes of Limitless. It's not bad. Not groundbreaking, but it's not bad.

We'll see what happens.

I enjoyed the movie, sorta silly though it was, so I should check it out. 

We'll see what happens.

I enjoyed the movie, sorta silly though it was, so I should check it out. 

Since I expected nothing, I really was surprised that it also wasn't half bad.

Will the new trek series still be shown on the CBS network while its shown on the CBS All Access?  

Nope. Only the pilot will be shown on CBS. All other episodes will be on All Access.

Edited by prometheus59650

On the upside, this might be the bump in interest we need to get DS9 released on blu-ray... :)

I do hope.

At this point CBS could launch a Kickstarter for it and I'd donate. 

I've looked around and yes, this does seem legit but am I the only one really concerned that it's being produced by Alex Kurtzman?  His is not a name that is entirely endeared to all ST fans...

'Concerned' is too light a word for me. 'Terrified' would be more like it, especially after seeing some of their other handiwork. I also wonder how embarrassingly behind the times it might be given Trek's frankly stunning record in the past.

Yeah, I'm really surprised that NuTrek made no outreach to diversity for its new incarnation of ST; we're right back to the white male heterosexual paradigm.  The only significant roles of non-whites were the characters already present from the '60s show.  Even Khan was suddenly a pale Englishman (!).  

And still (after nearly 50 years) no representation from the rich pool of the LGBT community.  I'm not saying ST has to go out of its way to say "Hey look!  Gay crew member! LOOK!"  but it should be done with the same (relative) subtlety that Uhura and Sulu were.  They were just officers; and not 'the black woman lieutenant' or 'the Japanese helmsman' (ST aired only 20 years after WW2, mind you).  They were just human beings.

At any rate, I sincerely hope that Kurtzman's approach to television (I've not watched his numerous TV series) is somewhat more progressive than his approach to the movies.   

And echoing Sim's comment above, I agree that recasting Kirk, Spock and McCoy a third time would be a fatal error.  ST is much bigger than the '60s triad; and I also hope it isn't set in the 23rd century either.  

ST needs to 'boldly go' forward, not backward, for its inspiration.... 

'Concerned' is too light a word for me. 'Terrified' would be more like it, especially after seeing some of their other handiwork. I also wonder how embarrassingly behind the times it might be given Trek's frankly stunning record in the past.

Yeah, I'm really surprised that NuTrek made no outreach to diversity for its new incarnation of ST; we're right back to the white male heterosexual paradigm.  The only significant roles of non-whites were the characters already present from the '60s show.  Even Khan was suddenly a pale Englishman (!).  

And still (after nearly 50 years) no representation from the rich pool of the LGBT community.  I'm not saying ST has to go out of its way to say "Hey look!  Gay crew member! LOOK!"  but it should be done with the same (relative) subtlety that Uhura and Sulu were.  They were just officers; and not 'the black woman lieutenant' or 'the Japanese helmsman' (ST aired only 20 years after WW2, mind you).  They were just human beings.

At any rate, I sincerely hope that Kurtzman's approach to television (I've not watched his numerous TV series) is somewhat more progressive than his approach to the movies.   

And echoing Sim's comment above, I agree that recasting Kirk, Spock and McCoy a third time would be a fatal error.  ST is much bigger than the '60s triad; and I also hope it isn't set in the 23rd century either.  

ST needs to 'boldly go' forward, not backward, for its inspiration.... 

Going forward would be awesome. Even fan film series have explored the other 'human issues' better than modern Star Trek, and it would be nice if a new show also echoed the sentiment and went there. Progressive storytelling should not be a bad word in Hollywood. It's hard to say yet what Alex Kurtzman will do. It's a better idea than his ousted writing partner, Orci.

Executive producers basically field the money to pay for the thing, hire on the directors and all that, and is show runner, but there will likely be producers under him.

I would be all aboard for an idea where there just happens to be a gay couple on the ship and it's no big deal and not shocking. It would be the studio's decision to go there, and nothing is really known about this story besides what is happening in 2017. We don't know anything about the show yet. Hopefully the show is a new series, and yet I would like to see it on TV also.

Unlike the comics, hopefully it will not simply be New Trek the Next Generation with recycled plots from other stories, an will be something new.

Edited by Chimera82405

Despite Kurtzman's involvement I am going to try and remain optimistic.  He is a Producer, but nowhere does it say he is to be a showrunner, maybe they can get the right guy to run the thing.  I assume his involvement means alternate reality, but I would love it if it were just so far in the future the reality doesn't matter.  But hey... a new cast, a new group of character, a new ship?  A new show!  I am looking forward to whatever comes...and hope I don't feel like I am actually forcing myself to watch it every week. 

Also this all seems pretty official from CBS. 

Well as I read more, the thing I find most concerning is that it will be mostly available on CBS All Access, which if their free version is any indication, CBS has no idea how to make a convenient player that can work well.  So that is the big issue with this whole thing...its that the new Trek will be on a really bad online streaming service.  CBS should've got on board with Hulu or even gone all in with Netflix.  Instead they want to create their own personal separate streaming service, and it is ill fated I think...which does not bode well for this new series. 

Good point. It makes me think: is this a serious attempt at Trek on TV, or will it be done on the cheap as just a means to draw genre fans to their online service, like Yahoo buying Community after it was canceled. This thing could be animated for all we know. 

Edited by Justin Snead

Hammer   

Well, I guess that now we know why the Renegades producers said that the studio couldn't produce their show. CBS already had one in the works...

Well, I guess that now we know why the Renegades producers said that the studio couldn't produce their show. CBS already had one in the works...

Or they just didn't want Renegades.   Not to be critical, but as much as I personally enjoyed REN, it was not without significant flaws; I could see why CBS passed... 

kenman   

I can definitely see why CBS passed on Renegades. That said Renegades is getting tons of talent which could improve on many of the things I found problematic with the first one (though the tonal issues would be hard to fix).

What this show's quality will come down to is the talent running the writer's room. If it is someone who has TV experience and find a staff that can blend a mix of humor and drama, utilize sci-fi concepts, and talk about social issues actually relevant to the modern world? I'd be in.  Kurtzman isn't going to be running the show, he is just gonna be the top brass. 

It would also be lovely to have a diverse cast, but TV casting has been going that way lately with hit shows like Scandal, How to Get Away With Murder, Empire, Black-ish....people want diverse casting, so I think that a Trek show (a franchise that was ahead of the curve in the 60s on this), would be an instant failure if it didn't attempt this. 

I can definitely see why CBS passed on Renegades. That said Renegades is getting tons of talent which could improve on many of the things I found problematic with the first one (though the tonal issues would be hard to fix).

What this show's quality will come down to is the talent running the writer's room. If it is someone who has TV experience and find a staff that can blend a mix of humor and drama, utilize sci-fi concepts, and talk about social issues actually relevant to the modern world? I'd be in.  Kurtzman isn't going to be running the show, he is just gonna be the top brass. 

It would also be lovely to have a diverse cast, but TV casting has been going that way lately with hit shows like Scandal, How to Get Away With Murder, Empire, Black-ish....people want diverse casting, so I think that a Trek show (a franchise that was ahead of the curve in the 60s on this), would be an instant failure if it didn't attempt this. 

I just hope that Kurtzman as exec producer is a better thing than Kurtzman the co-writer and maker of average television shows.

That said?  I'm also hoping this new series truly pushes boundaries and doesn't just rehash the '60s program's format.   It has to be new and it has to find its own voice.   Part of what hurt TNG's earliest seasons (aside from the bats#!t crazy stories) was the attempt to over-emulate TOS ("Code of Honor" = "Amok Time", "Naked Now"="Naked Time", "Home Soil" = "Devil in the Dark", etc etc.).    It wasn't till S2 began to do some stories that took advantage of the unique nature of the new crew's makeup and S3 took even more confident strides.  DS9 even more so.

If a new ST series is just about a new ship & uniforms but with the same format, then I have to ask: what's the point?  We already have 750-odd hours of Star Trek in the can, along with some excellent ST fan films for all of that.  I want a ST that uses the brand name as a lure, but takes the audience into new and unexpected places rather than just rehash the old series' pablum once again.   If the new series lacks the ambition to take ST to new heights, then they could just call it Star Trek: The Next Regurgitation. 

Sim   

Everything streamed eventually makes it to DVD. That's just how it works. And it's not going to be on actual television because science-fiction dies a slow death on tv.  

And anything that's on the official site (startrek.com) is real.

That's fine with me. I think tv is dying a slow death in general. Tv stopped being my source of new series' like, 12 years ago or so.

Since CBS AA doesn't exist in Germany, I suspect they'll give the license to some of the streaming services that are popular here, such as Amazon Prime. Hope I won't have to get a new subscription just for Star Trek. ;)

Sim   

And in an update about the new STAR TREK series, it already looks like the NY Post also hates the idea

http://nypost.com/2015/11/02/cbs-is-already-ruining-the-star-trek-tv-reboot

Gus

This incredibly stupid whining makes me aggressive.

They have an issue with it running on a streaming service? Seriously, who is even still watching "normal" tv these days? I don't know anybody except 70 year old pensioners.

Not even a writer has been assigned to it. There is no decision whatsoever about the concept. Yet this smartass at NY Post whines already? F*** him.

Edited by Sim

Hammer   

Or they just didn't want Renegades.   Not to be critical, but as much as I personally enjoyed REN, it was not without significant flaws; I could see why CBS passed... 

Yeah I didn't exactly think Renegades was broadcast quality either, but I'm more latching onto their previous release about the studio not being able to do any Star Trek project right now. It's plausible that the studio had this in the works with Kurtzman when the Renegade pilot was screened for the studio execs.

So, CBS All Access... where am I going to be able to watch this in Canada?

Edited by Hammer