priell3

New Star Trek TV Series Being Developed

308 posts in this topic

A new Star Trek television series is in the works at CBS, according to a report from The Hollywood Reporter. Producer Alex Kurtzman is taking the lead on the new series.

And official announcement is expected to offer more details later today, but the report suggests the project is currently searching for a writer, and will seek a home on a cable network or streaming service.

If development on the series moves at a fair pace, the series could premiere in time for the franchise’s 50th anniversary in fall 2016.

The franchise has been mired in rights disputes between CBS and Paramount after the CBS and Viacom merger in 2000. Nonetheless, the series has continued through two reboot films, with a third on the way. Kurtzman serves as producer on those films.

http://comicbook.com/2015/11/02/new-star-trek-tv-series-being-developed/

Streaming would be awesome, tho not if it's Amazon Prime because then I'll have to buy Amazon Prime.

I can live with Kurtzman as producer. Orci would have been a disaster.

Is this for real, or just one unconfirmed rumor more?

Real by all appearances, as it's running in all the trades.

I just went to Facebook awhile ago and noticed something posted from the Star Trek facebook page telling about the news of a new Star Trek tv series set to start in 2017.   

I can't wait!    Hopefully its in the post-Voyager years.    

This is LEGIT folks.  StarTrek.com has it up.  Variety.  Hollywood Reporter.  This is for real.

Real by all appearances, as it's running in all the trades.

*dancing like crazy, yelling, throwing stuff around*

Finally! This is amazing news! =)

I just went to Facebook awhile ago and noticed something posted from the Star Trek facebook page telling about the news of a new Star Trek tv series set to start in 2017.   

I'm actually hoping TOS, or maybe the era between TOS/TNG.

Naw, that would be just another reboot, or at least be reboot-ish. I can't see reboots anymore. I'd rather see them come up with something fresh and new. Not another copy of a copy of a copy. And the best way to do that I can think of, would be setting it even further into the future beyond the 24th century.

But then, no matter what they'll do, I'll look at it with an open mind.

Naw, that would be just another reboot, or at least be reboot-ish. I can't see reboots anymore. I'd rather see them come up with something fresh and new. Not another copy of a copy of a copy. And the best way to do that I can think of, would be setting it even further into the future beyond the 24th century.

But then, no matter what they'll do, I'll look at it with an open mind.

But then I think that, if they are, they need to reinvent the technology from top to bottom because if I see one more plot resolved by shunting power through the secondary ventral subspace relay, I'm going to projectile vomit. 

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/star-trek-series-way-debut-154837298.html

Show will stream on CBS All Access...their specific streaming service.

OMG! OMG! YOU GUYS ARE SAYING THAT I'M ACTUALLY GONNA WATCH STAR TREK ON TV, LIKE I DREAMED ABOUT? LIKE, I'M REAAAALLY GONNA BE ABLE TO WATCH IT AS THEY MAKE IT? OMG! PLEASE, MAKE THIS THING WORK GUYS! AND PLEASE LET IT BE ON THE ORIGINAL UNIVERSE!

...AND PLEASE FIND A WAY TO PUT SOME OF THE ACTORS ON IT! I CAN TOTALLY SEE TIN RUSS, GARRETT WANG, ARON EISENBERG AND ROBERT PICARDO REPRISING THEIR ROLES!

...AND FIND A WAY TO GET NICOLE DE BOER AS WELL!

MY GOD GUYS, IT'S SO AWESOOOOMEEEEEE.

afterimage_129.jpg

calltoarms_461.jpg

Edited by Garak the spy

As one old enough to barely remember all the "Phase II" talk in the mid-late '70s?  I'm a bit jaundiced.  I'll believe it when I see it. ;)

As one old enough to barely remember all the "Phase II" talk in the mid-late '70s?  I'm a bit jaundiced.  I'll believe it when I see it. ;)

Pessimist. :)

Looks like a done deal to me.

Hey, considering how long it takes the newer movies to come out, pessimism is a virtue!

The blood will tell... :P

But Phase II didn't have an online platform that the suits were dying to draw people to with original programming.

I've looked around and yes, this does seem legit but am I the only one really concerned that it's being produced by Alex Kurtzman?  His is not a name that is entirely endeared to all ST fans...

tumblr_m0yl5eRR4z1rnwx2io1_500.jpg

I've looked around and yes, this does seem legit but am I the only one really concerned that it's being produced by Alex Kurtzman?  His is not a name that is entirely endeared to all ST fans...

Well, Kurtzman, of the two, has always seemed to be the one with some basic understanding of Trek.

That and, with all the other shows he's "producing" that air, plus his film career, I doubt his involvement will be much beyond pilot development and having his name on it after.

14 suggestions for Captain:

https://tvline.com/gallery/star-trek-new-captain-photos-cbs-tv-series-2017/

Edited by prometheus59650

Considering the way they handled STID, Kurtzman certainly has a bad stain on his rap sheet. Not as bad as Orci though. So yeah, you aren't alone.

I'm fine with NuTrek. The only thing I don't want to see is another recast of the TOS roles.

I'm fine with NuTrek. The only thing I don't want to see is another recast of the TOS roles.

That's the one thing I think you don't have to worry about that, since Paramount isn't necessarily done with it after "Beyond." 

'Concerned' is too light a word for me. 'Terrified' would be more like it, especially after seeing some of their other handiwork. I also wonder how embarrassingly behind the times it might be given Trek's frankly stunning record in the past.

'Concerned' is too light a word for me. 'Terrified' would be more like it, especially after seeing some of their other handiwork. I also wonder how embarrassingly behind the times it might be given Trek's frankly stunning record in the past.

If by that you mean the ship being filled to the brim with white, heterosexual, cisgenders?

The trolls were out in force on Yahoo and elsewhere within minutes demanding that the show not become "PC." And that was the nicest of dog whistles used.

Went downhill from there.