Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richpit

Supergirl?

467 posts in this topic

Any thoughts on the second ep?

Am watching it tonight. ;)

Watched first ep. Great casting of the title character - Melissa Benoist is really appealing, wholesome and pretty without being too supermodelly. And she's a great physical actor too, handling moments of comedy and awkwardness as well as the melodrama. She sells Kara and Supergirl and she alone is worth watching the show for. She's one of those kinds of performers - she's interesting just to watch and would lift any material given to her, I'm sure. It's fun too to see British character actors like David Harewood make some thing out of a bare bones part, and this is probably my only problem with it. Apart from Benoist, it all seemed a bit by the numbers - it hit all the right notes, certainly, and boy, it's a relief that it didn't go "dark" from the get-go. But a lot of the supporting characters were pretty forgettable, even Superman's pal, Jimmy Olson. 

But it was just the pilot and it's a fun show. I'm not sure I'd ever expect anything overly deep or insightful from it, or any scintillating character drama, though there are some good lines, mostly from Calista Flockhart. I'll be back for episode 2 - I actually remembered to set the recorder, so that's a good sign. 

Five minutes into the third episode and I'm annoyed already at Kara for being so goddamn dumb. She acts like a 13 year old. 

AAAARRRRRRGHHHH!!!!

Kara is acting like a 20 something.  I don't see her as dumb at all.

I thought the third episode was pretty solid and started answering some questions about Superman.  They aren't avoiding him, which is a good thing.

I do think there would be a lot more in person stuff and I also have an issue with too many people knowing identities.  Jimmy gave up Clark's biggest secret by accident, which should never happen.

Superman coming to save Kara was not a bad thing at all. 

The real question Kara should be asked is, "what would she do if Superman was about to be killed or harmed?" 

The answer to that question is that she would help him.  She wouldn't play to some sense of pride.  She would help her cousin.

So why would it be any different if Superman reacted that way to Kara being in trouble?  Superman did what heroes do.  Superman did what family does.

In a reverse situation, Kara would have reacted the same way so having Superman APOLOGIZE for saving Kara wasn't the best thing, but I get why they are trying to keep Superman off the show.

I do think that at some point, they will have to cast the role properly and let Clark appear.

Five minutes into the third episode and I'm annoyed already at Kara for being so goddamn dumb. She acts like a 13 year old. 

AAAARRRRRRGHHHH!!!!

I started watching last night, and sadly, I got bored about 15 minutes into it.   I will try to watch the rest sometime this week, but my interest level is plummeting.  My wife gave up after the 2nd episode; as she says, it didn't hook her. 

At this point, I doubt the show gets a second season.

Airing against Gotham divides the superhero audience in the live viewing.  It's also airing against Monday Night Football. 

I'd actually like to see it move to CW, so it can be more easily connected to Flash and Arrow.

But, don't people come to things that are quality?

It's lost half its value in the demo in three weeks and shows no signs of stopping. That's not slipping because of football or Gotham splitting viewership. That's simply people sampling, being dissatisfied, and leaving.

It won't move to the CW. The CW has already said that one of the reasons they passed on it to start with is because it's too expensive.

Airing against Gotham divides the superhero audience in the live viewing.  It's also airing against Monday Night Football. 

I'd actually like to see it move to CW, so it can be more easily connected to Flash and Arrow.

True, it's in a deadly time slot, but even on time-shifted viewings, it's dropping viewers.   I DVRd it, and I'm losing interest; that has nothing to do with Arrow or Monday Night Football (neither of which I watched).  

It's lost half its value in the demo in three weeks and shows no signs of stopping. That's not slipping because of football or Gotham splitting viewership. That's simply people sampling, being dissatisfied, and leaving.

It won't move to the CW. The CW has already said that one of the reasons they passed on it to start with is because it's too expensive.

It could if it were massively scaled back; but then, arguably, it wouldn't be the same show.  The talent exodus would be enormous...

True, it's in a deadly time slot, but even on time-shifted viewings, it's dropping viewers.   I DVRd it, and I'm losing interest; that has nothing to do with Arrow or Monday Night Football (neither of which I watched).  

It could if it were massively scaled back; but then, arguably, it wouldn't be the same show.  The talent exodus would be enormous...

They'd have to slash and burn cast salaries, get rid of most of the secondaries (Flockhart would be all the way out) and probably pare it down to nothing, but Olsen and the team of government flunkies. 

After that, what charm it does have in terms of Benoist's earnest performance is gone.

They pull off Arrow and Flash very well, and CW pulled off Smallville for years.  The effects on CBS is arguably a weak point of the show.  They aren't even of the quality of Enterprise over 10 years ago.  They can do better in that department.  I think at the CW, the ratings they are getting now would be more than enough to satisfy that network, and they could move it to Thursday rather than Monday, which really is a better night for this show.

I don't think it would have to be massively scaled back because this team is used to working on CW budgets.

Other than Flockhart, what big names are really on this show?  Cat Grant is very replaceable. 

They pull off Arrow and Flash very well, and CW pulled off Smallville for years.  The effects on CBS is arguably a weak point of the show.  They aren't even of the quality of Enterprise over 10 years ago.  They can do better in that department.  I think at the CW, the ratings they are getting now would be more than enough to satisfy that network, and they could move it to Thursday rather than Monday, which really is a better night for this show.

I don't think it would have to be massively scaled back because this team is used to working on CW budgets.

Other than Flockhart, what big names are really on this show?  Cat Grant is very replaceable. 

If the show continues this dramatic slide in the ratings, there may not be time.   Shame too, as Benoist is quite good in the role, but there's really not much else about it I find 'must see.'  Ironically Cat Grant, in her interview with Kara, made the best point about the show; what does this show have that Superman doesn't?   The short answer; a bit of angst and office place drama.  That's about it. 

Well, Kara really is a younger, female Superman.  She has things to deal with that he doesn't, which of course is living in his shadow.

I think having Superman as a major supporting character would have been better. 

Superman would have spent a lot of time with her.  That's his nature.  It's clear that they do have some sort of relationship, and he did not simply dump her off on some friends and move on.

But I feel he would be far more direct.

The most realistic scene was in last night's episode, where Clark fought off Reactron. 

When life and death is involved, there is NO WAY Superman wouldn't step in.  He would not hesitate to give his life for Kara, and I think that would be true in reverse.

That's not even a superhero thing.  That's a family thing.

I think what they did in the comics decades ago was very interesting.  Kara spent a fairly long period in secret and hidden from the world.  She did super stuff and helped people on occasion, but Superman kept her out of the public.  Then one day, when she was ready, Superman introduced her to the world.

In a way, the writers are handcuffed with Superman.

He's too important to not be a major part of Kara's life.  She would look up to him like a big brother.  But at the same time, she would want to establish herself.  It's one thing for Clark to back off when there's a villain that Kara can handle.  A bank robbery, anything involving a human. But against an alien that can give Superman a run for his money, there is nothing wrong with Superman joining the fight.

Likewise, they can reverse it and have a situation where Supergirl helps Superman out of a jam.

That's how it works. 

I think having Superman as a major supporting character would have been better. 

Superman can't BE a supporting character; by definition, he is the ultimate expression of the alpha.  That would be a serious mistake.   If he were there, constantly buzzing around in the background then it'd just be the part-time Superman series, with Supergirl as a sidekick.   

It's all about perspective.  Superman would always be doing super things, but it wouldn't be much different than now, except he has lines and a more realistic relationship with Kara.

Think of an episode of DS9 where the Enterprise appears.  While when we watch TNG, the ship is the focal point, on DS9, the Enterprise is just another ship in dock.  The camera work made it clear that DS9 was the centerpiece of the show, not the Enterprise.

Done right, Superman can absolutely be a recurring character.  He kind of is now, but a little too recurring.  If Superman is in Metropolis, and Kara is not, he wouldn't be the focal point.  He'd serve as a mentor.  Important, but not the center.

It's all about perspective.  Superman would always be doing super things, but it wouldn't be much different than now, except he has lines and a more realistic relationship with Kara.

Vie is right. There's no doing it "right." That they've shown him on Supergirl as they have even now it's to display that she's essentially incompetent and needs saving. The entire show up to this point has been about her incompetence and her whining about it than her settling in to some sort of hero status.

Put Superman or the consistent expectation of Superman in there and there's no reason to watch Kara at all because all she can do at this point is fumble around like a beached fish.

She's not incompetent.  She's young and inexperienced.  In the very same episode, they showed that she was able to beat a villain that Superman never beat. 

Superman was there when she needed him, but that doesn't mean he will be there all the time.  In fact, he made it a point to say that he will let her fight her own battles. 

I guess I'm thinking of a show where there would be no restrictions on Superman's use.

This show would be different.  The writers have their hands tied to an extent. 

I think the show is good, though not perfect.  I'm enjoying it though.

In the very same episode, they showed that she was able to beat a villain that Superman never beat. 

Which is ridiculous all by itself given the nature of the bad guy. We're not talking about Doomsday.

She's young and inexperienced.  In the very same episode, they showed that she was able to beat a villain that Superman never beat. 

As was Superman.

But only the female needs hand holding, 

She's not incompetent.  She's young and inexperienced.  In the very same episode, they showed that she was able to beat a villain that Superman never beat. 

Superman was there when she needed him, but that doesn't mean he will be there all the time.  In fact, he made it a point to say that he will let her fight her own battles. 

I guess I'm thinking of a show where there would be no restrictions on Superman's use.

Yeah, that would be "The Adventures of Superman"; not "Supergirl."

But I thought it was a bit early to bring in the cousin only 3 episodes in; I think Cat had a point, about Kara seeming like a 'whining millennial' who waits for her big, bad cousin to come fix things for her when she's in a jam.

After seeing the latest episode, the show seems to be losing the confidence and optimism it had in the pilot.   It's constantly apologizing for NOT being a Superman show (!).  That's not a good thing when your show is called "Supergirl."  

It wouldn't be the Adventures of Superman if Superman were a supporting character.  That's like saying that this show is the adventures of Jimmy Olsen.

Superman compared to Supergirl is zero comparison. You can't have Superman as a supporting character. The fans won't, and maybe can't, shift gears like that. Superman couldn't consistently take a back seat.

That's like saying that this show is the adventures of Jimmy Olsen.

One of the problems with this show is that that's sort of true in that he's more interesting at this point than pouting Kara.

It wouldn't be the Adventures of Superman if Superman were a supporting character.  That's like saying that this show is the adventures of Jimmy Olsen.

No, that's a false equivalency because Superman is by definition an 'ultimate' character; he doesn't do backseat driving.  While Jimmy Olsen was designed to be a supporting character; always was, always will be.  If Jimmy Olsen were an omnipotent demigod from another planet? Then it'd be The Jimmy Olsen Show. 

And oddly enough, even though James Olsen on Supergirl has no personality traits in common with ANY version, he is actually one of the few characters who really works well on Supergirl.  But given the fact that he's cool, handsome-as-a-Playgirl model and oozing with confidence, I just can't see why they bothered to name him Jimmy Olsen.  

If you made Captain Kirk a bumbling, insecure, shy nerd who was unlucky with women he wouldn't be Captain Kirk anymore, right?  This is my problem with Jimmy Olsen; he simply ISN'T Jimmy Olsen.  Though, whoever he is, I like him as a character.   

Maybe Superman had a treatment for Jimmy's geekdom?

Maybe he took his pal to the Fortress of Solitude's newly discovered Suave-o-matic.

Superman is an ultimate character, but everything we have seen has always been from HIS perspective.

He's always been the center.

But let's take names out of the equation.

You have the show about someone who has an amazing big brother.  Everyone loves this big brother, and with good reason.  He's a good person, and your relationship with him is great.  He's there for you always.  And you for him.

But you are living in his shadow and sometimes that bothers you.  It's not his fault.  He is what he is, and he tries to give you your space, but that doesn't mean he won't be a part of your life or there for you when you need him.

He's your supporting character.  The show can center around the younger sibling, and the big brother can be his support, but it won't be about him.

Maybe a good sitcom equivalent would be Happy Days.  Richie was the center, Fonzie was the support, but Fonzie was the larger than life character.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0