Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richpit

Supergirl?

463 posts in this topic

If a gay relationship is ever given as much screentime as a straight one, suddenly it becomes "PC!!!!"  If it is subtely in the background it is fine. 

Just like real life. 

<<If a gay relationship is ever given as much screentime as a straight one, suddenly it becomes "PC!!!!"  If it is subtely in the background it is fine.  >>

That's exactly right--especially when you are dealing with supporting characters and taking away from the premise of the show to should "look! A gay relationship!"

<<BECAUSE GAY PEOPLE STILL HAVE TO COME OUT AND STRAIGHT PEOPLE DO NOT.  Gay people are still forced int othe role of being an outsider and outside the norm, and therefore they are still forced into having to explain their own normal behaviors to people. So, on some shows, you can actually have people come out and it is normal behavior for a gay character, not necessarily a PC patting themselves on the back behavior of the writing staff. >>

This is NOT that type of show.  There are lots of TV shows that deal with these issues in that way, but this is a superhero show, and it's crystal clear that the whole point was to be PC and for the writers to be proud of themselves for what they are doing.

<<This is where your anti-PC argument really loses me.  Because what you are saying is that if someone is gay, it must not have any attention brought onto it. Keep it in the background. Make it extra subtle.  If at any point you are forced to watch the ickiness of two men having a kiss, does that suddenly make it PC?  Lets say on the Flash they have this gay man with a husband see his husband and they have a kiss, does it now fall out of the realm of acceptability and become "PC RUN AMUCK!!!" Again, if there is a show that has a young female character and she deals with the awkwardness of her first real serious boyfriend, it is not considered PC.  It is within your parameters of acceptable storylines...but if the boyfriend is suddenly a girlfriend...now it is just PC nonsnese. >>

It is unfortunate that people have trouble getting why this is PC nonsense.  But even if this was a straight relationship, it's getting entirely too much screen time.  If that happened on Flash, then yes, that's exactly what they are doing--showing a gay kiss to make a big deal out of it.  And if the young female character showing the awkwardness of her first boyfriend is on say, Batman, yes, that's also inappropriate.

<<Jeez...I don't even care or watch this show...but I too am really tired of the "PC is bad" argument.  Just comes from an antiquated place. >>

Not as tired as I am of watching writers shove their PC views down our throats. 

6 minutes ago, StillKirok said:

That's exactly right--especially when you are dealing with supporting characters and taking away from the premise of the show to should "look! A gay relationship!"

I guess the key here is this: I don't feel the need to put in the proviso of "gay."  I can understand being annoyed that a relationship might take up more time than you desire, but why is it somehow more irritating that they are gay?  It can only be that you have an issue of seeing gay people on air at all.

14 minutes ago, StillKirok said:

This is NOT that type of show.  There are lots of TV shows that deal with these issues in that way, but this is a superhero show, and it's crystal clear that the whole point was to be PC and for the writers to be proud of themselves for what they are doing.

I genuinely think you are overthinking this issue (and often so)...it isn't a bunch of writer patting themselves on the back saying "oh boy we've really done it now!"  I think they just see the issues of gays in their lives differently than you.  To them, it is normal.  I know gay people are normal in my life. If the gay people I know are watching shows, why should people like them be excluded just because it might make an increasingly smaller segment of the population uncomfortable?  I really doubt this idea that writers do it purely to be proud of themselves, I think that could be true in 1999.  But in 2017?  Gay people are more present in our culture, and rightly so. To you it is crystal clear what they are up to, but anytime anything that could be perceived as PC (whether it is a character not being the same color as their counterpart in the comics or an original incarnation, or whether somebody is gay), you tend to come on this board and claim that writers only do it because they want applause for being open minded. It only paints you as someone with a fairly closed mind.

21 minutes ago, StillKirok said:

It is unfortunate that people have trouble getting why this is PC nonsense.  But even if this was a straight relationship, it's getting entirely too much screen time.  If that happened on Flash, then yes, that's exactly what they are doing--showing a gay kiss to make a big deal out of it.  And if the young female character showing the awkwardness of her first boyfriend is on say, Batman, yes, that's also inappropriate.

But as you said, the character has long been established as gay, and it isn't a big deal. So if we met his husband, and lets say the scene is they have a talk, and they give a kiss goodbye.  Or they have a fight but the end with kissing and making up...why is it a bigger deal to you than if it is the same exact situation, only with a wife?  And I don't see how it is inappropriate to show real relationships just because it is a superhero show...I mean doesn't that ground it in a bit of reality?  I would rather watch a fantasty show that grounds it with at least believable characters.  Part of reality is relationships.  I don't mean the shows need to be bogged down in them, but I do think it is an odd take that the show should feature no romantic entanglements at all, or if they do only a little bit and they need to be straight.  Just punch bad guys! Seems a rather boring show.  Superman has a romantic interest in almost all of his incarnations.  Why should these shows avoid that element entirely, especially when you have to get to know these characters over many episodes.  And if they are gay how is it that really more inappropriate? 

26 minutes ago, StillKirok said:

Not as tired as I am of watching writers shove their PC views down our throats.

Maybe not not even nearly as tired as I have become of this argument. 

And Prom is right...your crusade against the inclusion of others on TV and the use of "PC!!!" really is a bit of a crutch. 

OK, enough.

Once again, we're derailing a topic straight into KM territory and it's all because of the assumption that any act of inclusivity beyond white, straight and heterosexual is somehow being "PC."    In other words, shoo them back into the closet, and pretend they don't exist.  

Well, that is a bunch of crap.

Inclusivity and representation MATTERS.  

We have LGBT members on this board and the assumption that any representation of their sexuality in a movie or TV show is just 'being PC' is bad for the community and health of this board.  

And, as I've said more than once: NO MORE ON THIS:. Take it to the KM threads or drop it.  It is offensive to both individual members and myself.

Any LGBT marginalization WILL be hidden and/or deleted.   Any violators may incur a warning point as well.  If you wish to add something about that topic?  Take it to the KM threads.  THAT IS ALL.

Back to "Supergirl" please.

StillKirok~  

Take it to the KM threads.  I don't know HOW I could've made it any clearer to you.

Again, to be clear, I was responding to a post before yours, and wrote that whole thing before I saw what you wrote. 

SUPERGIRL: Teri Hatcher & Kevin Sorbo Debut As Rhea & Lar Gand In New Stills From Episode 16: Star-Crossed

17264984_10212505172443516_2286044412050

17240040_10212505172763524_6878278624030

17310303_10212505173723548_5813271841950

I tried watching again a couple weeks ago; couldn't even get through a single episode.  Mon-El is the show's Gary Stu, and sadly, he's just not an interesting enough character.   From the 30-odd minutes I saw of it, it's downright dull these days.  Without the witty dialogue and the sophisticated snap that Cat Grant gave it, it's just a boring WB kiddie show.  Even the much ballyhooed gay romance story is surprisingly pedestrian (though I applaud them for the attempt, at least).   

Supergirl has lost so much of its S1 luster that, well, it feels almost like the chasm of difference between Superman: The Movie and Superman III.

In other words, SUPERGIRL sucks

Good luck on season 3, you gonna need it, Kara

Gus

9 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

In other words, SUPERGIRL sucks

Good luck on season 3, you gonna need it, Kara

Gus

For me, yes it does.   What really hurts is that S1 was so promising.  Now it's just another dull superhero show.   Though I have to say that Melissa Benoist still gives it her all.  She is to the role of Supergirl what Chris Reeve was to Superman. 

49 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

SUPERGIRL: Calista Flockhart Set To Return As Cat Grant In Season Two

The boss is back! Hot on the heels of that Superman announcement yesterday, a new report has revealed that Calista Flockhart will also be returning to Supergirl for a mini-arc

Not a moment too soon, either (see: above mini-rant of mine).  

Here's hoping she raises everyone's game a bit. ;)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0