Sign in to follow this  
richpit

Supergirl?

It doesn't really make sense that Hoechlin won't be playing the role.  He's Cyborg SUPERMAN.  I guess we will see.

I hope this means that Superman's death and return already happened.

Supergirl Arrives On Earth-1 In New Clip From The CW's INVASION! Crossover Event

Most of us hoped that Supergirl's world would be merged with the Arrowverse after Flashpoint, but we get to see the hero arrive on Earth-1 for the first time in this great new clip from the DC TV crossover.

Supergirl Arrives On Earth-1 In New Clip From The CW's INVASION! Crossover Event

Most of us hoped that Supergirl's world would be merged with the Arrowverse after Flashpoint, but we get to see the hero arrive on Earth-1 for the first time in this great new clip from the DC TV crossover.

I didn't.

I'm still mourning the lost show that was; the unique show that had a single female superhero finding her way in the world.   She was unique, as were the burdens placed on her.   Now it's (literally) SuperFriends.   The way the show is going?  In one or two episodes, Benoist could just take a vacation and no one would notice.   She'd have about 50 other superheroes who could jump in and take up the slack.   I mean, for chrissakes we have Flash, Guardian, Superman as a recurring character and now Arrow and all these other guys.  I'm already losing interest.   Even her sister's tepid lesbianism feels quaintly 1997.

My worst fears about the show are coming true; Cat Grant is, for all intent/purposes, gone from the show (Jimmy and that grumpy a$$ hat Lou Grant-wannabe are pale substitutes; Callista Flockhart is SORELY missed).  The family element of the show is rapidly shrinking (we never see her stepmother anymore, and the search for her missing dad has been stopped cold... not that anyone seems to care), and even the "Working Girl" element of the show is now soft-pedaled.  Kara doesn't get along with her office's Lou Grant-wannabe, but so what?  She has newfound editor-in-chief James (correction: "Guardian") Olsen in her corner, so no threat there.   If Kara doesn't like being a reporter, there is no way James would let her get fired so that element of the show is completely undermined.   And Olsen wanting to be a superhero... seriously; that plot feels like it was pulled out of ether.   What, assuming all of Cat's responsibilities of running a media empire and moonlighting with Supergirl wasn't enough?   

Hell, and why even bother having Kara pretend to work at Catco anymore?  She should just work at the DEO full time.  Who cares?  What's the point of her pretending to be a human reporter at Catco?  It wouldn't affect her life or the direction of the current series one bit.

I watch the show now because I still like Benoist (who's just charming as hell), but I don't love the show like I did in the beginning.  I watch because it's decent, but not exceptional.  It had SUCH promise in that first year.   I could drop it and I don't think I would miss it too much; at least not as much as I miss the season 1 version of the show...

I didn't.

I'm still mourning the lost show that was; the unique show that had a single female superhero finding her way in the world.   She was unique, as were the burdens placed on her.   Now it's (literally) SuperFriends.   The way the show is going?  In one or two episodes, Benoist could just take a vacation and no one would notice.   She'd have about 50 other superheroes who could jump in and take up the slack.   I mean, for chrissakes we have Flash, Guardian, Superman as a recurring character and now Arrow and all these other guys.  I'm already losing interest.   Even her sister's tepid lesbianism feels quaintly 1997.

My worst fears about the show are coming true; Cat Grant is, for all intent/purposes, gone from the show (Jimmy and that grumpy a$$ hat Lou Grant-wannabe are pale substitutes; Callista Flockhart is SORELY missed).  The family element of the show is rapidly shrinking (we never see her stepmother anymore, and the search for her missing dad has been stopped cold... not that anyone seems to care), and even the "Working Girl" element of the show is now soft-pedaled.  Kara doesn't get along with her office's Lou Grant-wannabe, but so what?  She has newfound editor-in-chief James (correction: "Guardian") Olsen in her corner, so no threat there.   If Kara doesn't like being a reporter, there is no way James would let her get fired so that element of the show is completely undermined.   And Olsen wanting to be a superhero... seriously; that plot feels like it was pulled out of ether.   What, assuming all of Cat's responsibilities of running a media empire and moonlighting with Supergirl wasn't enough?   

Hell, and why even bother having Kara pretend to work at Catco anymore?  She should just work at the DEO full time.  Who cares?  What's the point of her pretending to be a human reporter at Catco?  It wouldn't affect her life or the direction of the current series one bit.

I watch the show now because I still like Benoist (who's just charming as hell), but I don't love the show like I did in the beginning.  I watch because it's decent, but not exceptional.  It had SUCH promise in that first year.   I could drop it and I don't think I would miss it too much; at least not as much as I miss the season 1 version of the show...

Called it.

Slo-mo train wreck, man.

******* SPOILER ALERT! ********

The Dominators' Plan Is Finally Revealed In Epic Full-Length Trailer For DC TV Crossover

The CW has just released an amazing theatrical style trailer for the upcoming Supergirl/The Flash/Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow "Invasion!" crossover, and it's packed full of amazing action and reveals

Helll, yeah !  I am super excited by this epic crossover ! Go, DC TV !

Gus

Gus, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but could you please drop a line about possible spoilers next time?  Thanks.  :)

******* SPOILER ALERT! ********

Check Out An Awesome New Extended Promo For The CW's Four-Show INVASION! Crossover Event

The CW has released yet another extended teaser for their sure-to-be epic Invasion! crossover, which is set to kick off during this Monday's new episode of Supergirl. Click on to check it out.

Melissa Benoist Discusses The CW's Heroes VS. Aliens Crossover In This New SUPERGIRL Featurette (Minor Spoilers)

The big four-show Invasion! crossover kicks off in tomorrow night's episode of Supergirl, and this featurette contains some fun behind-the-scenes footage in addition to an interview with Melissa Benoist.

Good night !

SUPERGIRL Season 2 Adds Former HERCULES and GENE RODDENBERRY'S ANDROMEDA Star Kevin Sorbo As A Villain

On Tuesday, we learned television's former Lois Lane was joining Supergirl and now, we've received word that television's former Hercules, Kevin Sorbo, will be joining her!

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/dc/supergirl/supergirl-season-2-adds-former-hercules-star-kevin-sorbo-as-a-a148660

16406763_10212085699436953_8665404864772

Not to troll, but this show is spiraling into an abyss, IMO.  I used to really enjoy it, and now I can barely tolerate it.  All of the wit and sophistication of S1 is just gone.  It's now become standard juvenile-level fare.  The best thing about the previous season was that it wasn't just preaching to the comics' faithful; it tried to be something MORE than just an action series.  It had heart and a genuinely salty sense of humor.  Now it's become flavorless pablum for the CW crowd ONLY.  

After last week's episode, I finally decided to jump ship; my DVR was still recording it only because I forgot to undo the setting.  As of this week?  It's off the series' list.  Such a shame, because it went from being a fresh Lois & Clark kinda series to a wannabe Buffy the Cadmus Slayer.   Feels like it went from almost A-list to a DC slum.   Benoist still deserves much credit for trying to keep it altogether but the stories have become increasingly dumbed down  and the characters are becoming straw-brained counterparts of their S1 selves.

-- end of rant -- :soapbox:

It's totally ok to have that opinion.  For me, the problem is that they are focusing a little too much on Alex's relationship and not enough on Supergirl.  They are focusing too much on all the romantic relationships, but they are really shoving Alex's down the audience's throats.

I want to see heroes fight villains and protect people.  That's what these characters are all about.

I do still like the show though and am looking forward to more.  The Superman episode remains the season's highlight for me.

14 minutes ago, StillKirok said:

It's totally ok to have that opinion.  For me, the problem is that they are focusing a little too much on Alex's relationship and not enough on Supergirl.  They are focusing too much on all the romantic relationships, but they are really shoving Alex's down the audience's throats.

I'm actually glad that Alex's relationship, however simply & generically played, is one of the few shreds of genuine character growth left on the show.

Frankly, I'd rather focus on that relationship than the stupid, boring and predictable Mon-El/Kara 'will-they/won't-they' nonsense.   Mon-El is one character that I wish would fall into a black hole.  His only purpose on the show seemed to be as human shield against Kara potentially pursuing a romance with James; which would've been a lot more interesting since James is now acting like an ass, by putting his life on the line to be yet another superhero (on a show that's already crowded with good guys).

Mon-El is a dull Gary Stu; an interloper who steps in, gets all the good character stuff (including romancing Kara) and offers zero return on the investment.

And Winn has become nothing more than a Patton Oswalt-lite.   Hell, Patton Oswalt would've been a MAJOR coup for this dull and lifeless husk of a TV show.

I don't mind the character growth, but I feel like they are doing that just to be PC.  The gay relationship isn't the issue--it's the constant pushing it like they want to have Alex and Maggie wearing a lighted shirt that says "we are gay and happy."

While I didn't like that Star Trek Beyond made Sulu gay, I did like the way they presented it, and that's what should happen here.  This is a superhero show, and the romance of a character that didn't exist until this show, that's really a supporting character, shouldn't get this much screen time.  We get it, now go back to Supergirl please.

And I have just as big an issue with the Mon-El romance.  These characters have zero romantic chemistry so I feel like they are forcing this as well. 

The WINN romance though has actually been a little interesting to me, mostly due to the actress playing the role. 

I would like to see Season 3 bring in the Legion of Superheroes.  Get us a well cast Brainiac 5--someone the audience likes, to have a true relationship with Kara.

1 hour ago, StillKirok said:

I don't mind the character growth, but I feel like they are doing that just to be PC.  The gay relationship isn't the issue--it's the constant pushing it like they want to have Alex and Maggie wearing a lighted shirt that says "we are gay and happy."

giphy.gif

Okay, I'm thoroughly SICK of gay relationships being constantly characterized as "PC".  Whenever someone says they're sick of something being "PC", it usually means "I don't like (insert group here) and would rather not see it/them, etc."    Alex/Maggie are no more "PC" than any other relationship on any other show, other than the fact that they're gay.  End of story.   And they're no more 'pushing' Alex's relationship down anyone's throat than they are pushing the boring, pedestrian relationship between Mon-El and Kara, which I find far less interesting to be honest.  Alex and Maggie have been, more or less, quietly residing in the background save for an occasional subplot.  Kara and Mon-El have been practically "La-La Landing" the show to death.  Just waiting for the musical number as they fly around buildings together, while a song from "Lady and the Tramp" plays in the background.

At least Alex & Maggie have complexity (Maggie's recent revelation of her personal damage was one of the few moments where I actually felt myself giving a frak about the show, to be honest).    Mon-El and Kara have all the complexity of Fred and Daphne on "Scooby Doo." 

And James (the almost boyfriend) is now relegated to boring, friend-zone guy who's apparently trying to commit suicide every week.   Same with poor Winn (aka Patton Oswalt-lite), who's been reduced to Snarky McSnarkers guy.   

This show has done a terrific job of screwing its entire ensemble over, and turning the show from a smart, witty, would-be Lois & Clark to a slightly edgier Saturday morning kids' show.

And I'm thoroughly sick of gay relationships being used to show how PC the writers are.  Execution matters.  If it wasn't supposed to be PC, they wouldn't shove the relationship and the fact that it is gay down the viewers' throats week in and week out.

It's a comic book show.  If it wasn't PC, they wouldn't need to do a special coming out episode.  But they didn't just do that--they did a coming out ARC.

To say they are no more PC than any other relationship on the show is willful blindness.  They didn't do a special episode where Kara comes out as straight.  They didn't do a storyline where Winn was worrying about the consequences of dating an alien.  He just did it.  And no one cared. 

Again I point to how it was handled by Star Trek Beyond--even if the decision to exploit George Takei's orientation against his wishes was made for PC purposes, the execution of relationship was not politically correct at all.  It just was a matter of fact part of the show. 

Another comparison is in the same universe is the police captain on The Flash.  He's gay.  He has a husband.  No big deal.  Same thing on Arrow.  Curtis is gay.  No big deal.  But on Supergirl, they are completely politically correct and throwing something on the show that just doesn't belong in a comic book show. 

For the record, I also agree with you on Mon-El and Kara--they have no romantic chemistry at all.  But that's poor writing rather than checking the box political correctness. 

Because there's a story arc doesn't make it a "PC crutch"

And on a side note, I'm sick of the term "PC." It's a crutch by itself.

Edited by prometheus59650

28 minutes ago, StillKirok said:

And I'm thoroughly sick of gay relationships being used to show how PC the writers are.  Execution matters.  If it wasn't supposed to be PC, they wouldn't shove the relationship and the fact that it is gay down the viewers' throats week in and week out. 

If a gay relationship is ever given as much screentime as a straight one, suddenly it becomes "PC!!!!"  If it is subtely in the background it is fine. 

29 minutes ago, StillKirok said:

It's a comic book show.  If it wasn't PC, they wouldn't need to do a special coming out episode.  But they didn't just do that--they did a coming out ARC.

My understanding (and I don't watch, just hear through the grapevine, so forgive me) is that they had intended the character to be gay from the start, but CBS was archaic and wouldn't allow, but the CW would. So they had to do a coming out thing (believe it or not people still have to come out in this day and age!), because they wanted to get on the path they initially intended but make it work with what they were forced to do before (again I dunno, maybe she showed interest in men before, maybe not, but this was my grapevine understanding here).

33 minutes ago, StillKirok said:

To say they are no more PC than any other relationship on the show is willful blindness.  They didn't do a special episode where Kara comes out as straight.  They didn't do a storyline where Winn was worrying about the consequences of dating an alien.  He just did it.  And no one cared.

BECAUSE GAY PEOPLE STILL HAVE TO COME OUT AND STRAIGHT PEOPLE DO NOT.  Gay people are still forced int othe role of being an outsider and outside the norm, and therefore they are still forced into having to explain their own normal behaviors to people. So, on some shows, you can actually have people come out and it is normal behavior for a gay character, not necessarily a PC patting themselves on the back behavior of the writing staff.

36 minutes ago, StillKirok said:

Again I point to how it was handled by Star Trek Beyond--even if the decision to exploit George Takei's orientation against his wishes was made for PC purposes, the execution of relationship was not politically correct at all.  It just was a matter of fact part of the show. 

Another comparison is in the same universe is the police captain on The Flash.  He's gay.  He has a husband.  No big deal.  Same thing on Arrow.  Curtis is gay.  No big deal.  But on Supergirl, they are completely politically correct and throwing something on the show that just doesn't belong in a comic book show.

This is where your anti-PC argument really loses me.  Because what you are saying is that if someone is gay, it must not have any attention brought onto it. Keep it in the background. Make it extra subtle.  If at any point you are forced to watch the ickiness of two men having a kiss, does that suddenly make it PC?  Lets say on the Flash they have this gay man with a husband see his husband and they have a kiss, does it now fall out of the realm of acceptability and become "PC RUN AMUCK!!!" Again, if there is a show that has a young female character and she deals with the awkwardness of her first real serious boyfriend, it is not considered PC.  It is within your parameters of acceptable storylines...but if the boyfriend is suddenly a girlfriend...now it is just PC nonsnese.

40 minutes ago, StillKirok said:

For the record, I also agree with you on Mon-El and Kara--they have no romantic chemistry at all.  But that's poor writing rather than checking the box political correctness. 

Poor writing is more acceptable than two gay characters having a storyline...because of your percieved intentions of the writing behind it?

Jeez...I don't even care or watch this show...but I too am really tired of the "PC is bad" argument.  Just comes from an antiquated place.

Sign in to follow this