Sign in to follow this  
prometheus59650

Maybe Cosmos Season 2???

I've just begun watching season 1. We were talking about remakes on another thread... Well, here's one that totally works. Please, yes, to a season 2! 

I've just begun watching season 1. We were talking about remakes on another thread... Well, here's one that totally works. Please, yes, to a season 2! 

This one works because it was a continuation of the ideas began in the 1980 original; it profiled new scientists, and it discussed different issues more relevant to the current age.  I would classify Tyson's Cosmos as more of a sequel than a remake/reboot; it has the same drive of the original, but takes it to different places.

This one works because it was a continuation of the ideas began in the 1980 original; it profiled new scientists, and it discussed different issues more relevant to the current age.  I would classify Tyson's Cosmos as more of a sequel than a remake/reboot; it has the same drive of the original, but takes it to different places.

Yes, it's definitely a sequel, I agree - a continuation. There's a few science docus hat have stayed with me over the years and the original Cosmos is one, another is the BBC's The Planets (I watched the episode on Mars the other day after seeing The Martian). It's a delight to see science shows of this caliber being made. 

Yes, it's definitely a sequel, I agree - a continuation. There's a few science docus hat have stayed with me over the years and the original Cosmos is one, another is the BBC's The Planets (I watched the episode on Mars the other day after seeing The Martian). It's a delight to see science shows of this caliber being made. 

I love BBC's The Planets!  Here's hoping, in an increasingly anti-intellectual climate (here in the US, anyway) that these shows have a trickle down effect with younger people and encourage future careers in science for science's sake, or at least a healthy respect/appreciation for it. 

Why did it take decades from one to the other? I wonder if we, the US, would be in this cultural mess if there had been another version in between. 

Well, the obvious answer is that Carl Sagan passed away in 1996, but in the early '80s, he (and Bruce Murray) were also very busy setting up The Planetary Society (basically a Nat Geo for space geeks) of which I've been a proud member of since 1996 (sadly, I joined the year Sagan passed away).

I think that many people were probably intimidated by the daunting task of filling Sagan's formidable shoes.   And there hasn't really been a popular voice for science lately until Bill Nye (current Planetary Society CEO) and the very charismatic Neil deGrasse Tyson came in to fill that niche. 

Why did it take decades from one to the other? I wonder if we, the US, would be in this cultural mess if there had been another version in between. 

Because there's no real interest in science for its own sake these days. People only care about things that can immediately allow them to be lazier.

Season 1 wouldn't have gotten made if, Seth Macfarlane, major fan of the original, and very pro-science education, hadn't coughed up a bunch of his own money and Fox hadn't decided to let the man who made them a couple of billion dollars have a vanity project.

We'll be very lucky if a S2 happens. I'm not expecting it, to be honest.

Because there's no real interest in science for its own sake these days. People only care about things that can immediately allow them to be lazier.

Season 1 wouldn't have gotten made if, Seth Macfarlane, major fan of the original, and very pro-science education, hadn't coughed up a bunch of his own money and Fox hadn't decided to let the man who made them a couple of billion dollars have a vanity project.

We'll be very lucky if a S2 happens. I'm not expecting it, to be honest.

Sadly, I think you're right. Americans don't really care for this. Just the fact that MacFarlane sponsored it is enough for many Americans to automatically repudiate it. It's like when Wall-E was termed as 'liberal' because of the leftist message of taking care of our planet. Crazeee stuff. 

It would be interesting to see the demographics for it. I'm certainly not counting on the religiously conservative to watch it but I wonder how many other people were turned off by what they may have perceived as an anti-Christianity show. You know, because pro-science means anti-Christianity for some. 

Sadly, I think you're right. Americans don't really care for this. Just the fact that MacFarlane sponsored it is enough for many Americans to automatically repudiate it. It's like when Wall-E was termed as 'liberal' because of the leftist message of taking care of our planet. Crazeee stuff. 

My favorite lunatic critique of Wall-E was that it was somehow anti-technology.

Like it was going to be possible to reclaim any part of Earth without the tech on that ship.  

5 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Consider me there... :thumbup:

It hadn't hit me how much I MISSED this show until this news dropped.

Sign in to follow this