Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

If You Were a Shapeshifter

If you were a shapeshifter, like Odo from Deep Space Nine or Maya from Space: 1999, what would you be? 

On on another thread, I idly pondered this and wrote, "I think I might spend some time as a cat. Maybe a panther. They look like they know how to relax. Also, it would be fun to be a horse and just gallop across fields. An eagle, of course." Because imagine how exhilarating flying under one's own power would be! 

What would you be, and why? 

Edited by Robin Bland

If you were a shapeshifter, like Odo from Deep Space Nine or Maya from Space: 1999, what would you be? 

On on another thread, I idly pondered this and wrote, "I think I might spend some time as a cat. Maybe a panther. They look like they know how to relax. Also, it would be fun to be a horse and just gallop across fields. An eagle, of course." Because imagine how exhilarating flying under one's own power would be! 

What would you be, and why? 

Great topic!  Can't wait to hear Founder's response.... hehe. :laugh:

I would love to take a page from Vlas' book ("Chimera") and become things like fog, or fire.   Something totally non-biological.   Maybe revert to my liquid state and just 'feel' things as a liquid (I would imagine that'd be oddly... sensual; don't ask).  But I think my first inclination would be something non-biological.   

But if I were to take on animal form (well, technically I already am; humans are little more than advanced animals of a sort), I would love to be something that flies, much like your eagle example.  Not an insect (the constant flapping/droning sounds would drive me crazy) but rather the soaring, birdlike variety.

And, of course, I would prefer to practice my flying over an area with strong hunting restrictions and anti-poacher laws (!).  Then again, if I were shot?  I imagine I could revert to liquid and just reject the bullet from my pool of being... ;)

Another animal I would love to try would be a snake; something without limbs yet moves more naturally and gracefully with just muscles.    That would take some practice, I imagine.   If you ever see a chubby, lazy snake who seemingly can't support its own mass?  You found me... :P

Heh. Fire-breathing dragon. I like that. 

Sehlat, a fat snake? You just need to be an egg-eating snake. Or one of those ones that can swallow warthogs whole. 

I quite like the non-biological route. The cool thing about Odo was that he could be a mirror or a shovel or something. But something more supernatural, like fog, is cool. 

Swimming would be fun if you were a dolphin, or maybe a killer whale. Anything smaller and the fear of sharks would get to me. 

Heh. Fire-breathing dragon. I like that. 

Sehlat, a fat snake? You just need to be an egg-eating snake. Or one of those ones that can swallow warthogs whole. 

I quite like the non-biological route. The cool thing about Odo was that he could be a mirror or a shovel or something. But something more supernatural, like fog, is cool. 

Swimming would be fun if you were a dolphin, or maybe a killer whale. Anything smaller and the fear of sharks would get to me. 

You might laugh, but I've actually had dreams (when I was younger) where I was a marine mammal... maybe it's my love of swimming in the ocean; it's tremendously liberating, and at the right time of day it's a near-transcendent experience.

And yes, about the egg/warthog swallowing snake; LOL!  You know any tasty warthogs afoot?  :P

Dang, there are a lot of interesting things that I could be, but I just know that I'd use my shapeshifting abilities to turn into somebody else and play pranks on people. Nothing malicious, mind you, I'd just want to do it for my own entertainment purposes. No bank robbing or invasions of the Alpha Quadrant.

I think that being stuck in just one form can be pretty boring. I guess I would keep changing, but on my list it would sure be some things like birds, to see how it is to fly, the liquid state ( obviously ), because it sounds damn relaxing to sleep ( or regenerate ) without bones or a body. Also, a number of animals or races. I imagine that being able to shape-shift into the form of one's race can make you understand that race more than a regular person would.

I think that being stuck in just one form can be pretty boring. I guess I would keep changing, but on my list it would sure be some things like birds, to see how it is to fly, the liquid state ( obviously ), because it sounds damn relaxing to sleep ( or regenerate ) without bones or a body. Also, a number of animals or races. I imagine that being able to shape-shift into the form of one's race can make you understand that race more than a regular person would.

I imagine a shapeshifter would have uncommon empathy with the plight of others, for he/she could literally walk in their shoes... 

Locutus   

"I should have been a pair of ragged claws, scuttling across the floors of silent seas."

Earth's oceans are so vast and unexplored, I think I would spend much of my time as an ocean dweller.  I would definitely spend time as a whale to learn more about their culture while traversing vast distances.  Probably a blue whale to know what it is like to be such an immense creature (but of course a humpback too 😋).  I would also be a dolphin to find out just how smart they really are (and for all the sex 😮).  Finally, a bottom dweller to explore those deep unknown places where the sun has no reach.

Locutus   

I agree different races would be interesting and helpful.  I would also want to try different sexes to know what it is like to be female or intersex.

I agree different races would be interesting and helpful.  I would also want to try different sexes to know what it is like to be female or intersex.

^

This.

It would be interesting to look at the whole concept of gender from an outsider perspective...

Sign in to follow this