Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maltz

Scotty and Worf didn't get along?

8 posts in this topic

At the end of TNG "Relics" when Scotty is about to leave Enterprise-D and is saying goodbye to his new friends, him and Worf just kind of look at one another oddly without saying anything. Is this supposed to suggest they don't click well during Scotty's stay? I'm at a loss to think why this could be. Does the novelization expand on it at all?

At the end of TNG "Relics" when Scotty is about to leave Enterprise-D and is saying goodbye to his new friends, him and Worf just kind of look at one another oddly without saying anything. Is this supposed to suggest they don't click well during Scotty's stay? I'm at a loss to think why this could be. Does the novelization expand on it at all?

Not that I recall, though it's been years. I don't even think they talked much in it.

I always took it as a sort of grudging goodbye - after all, on their first meeting Scotty is surprised at Worf's presence, stating that "a Klingon on the bridge would mean the ship was under attack" or something to that effect.  For Scotty, the Klingons were still an unknown quantity, and even after the Khitomer Accords there was still be some residual wariness from Starfleet veterans on whether the Klingons could be trusted.

I think Capt. Bravo nailed it; imagine a British or American soldier frozen in time during the second world war, waking up to a German doctor.... same thing.  Scotty knows intellectually that the Feds and Klingons are at peace in the 24th century (they were working toward that in his time), but a bit of residual resentment would be natural. 

While there were various alien races serving in Starfleet in the TOS era (Vulcans, Tellarites, Andorians, etc.), the Federation and the Romulan/Klingon empire(s) were still enemies diametrically opposed to one another.  It would have been utterly unthinkable in Scotty's day to have Klingons serving as Starfleet officers.  When he first encounters Worf, he is stunned to see this new reality. :ohmy::lightsaber: He has no idea either what to say to, or think of Worf, and so he says nothing (the old saying "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" comes to mind).  Worf can see Scotty isn't offering any conversation, and so he, too, says nothing.  It's less understandable why at the end, though, they don't at least acknowledge one another, even if it's only in goodbye.  Clearly, Scotty can see that numerous things have changed since his time, but sometimes old prejudices are the hardest ones to let go of.  I wish Worf could have reached out to him just a little, but the same could be said of Scotty.  Ah well....

They did have an exchange, but it was cut. What that was, I don't know.

They did have an exchange, but it was cut. What that was, I don't know.

Maybe he offered Worf a bit of Scotch whiskey?  :giggle:

thefinalfrontier1158.jpg

If only K'Mpec had quit the drinking...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0