Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maltz

Eugenics Wars and World War III

28 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Maltz said:

Regarding the 30-35 million death toll mentioned in ENT from historical records....how do we know those records are reliable? Dr Soong says at one point that very little is known for certain of the Eugenics Wars; some sources say different things. Perhaps later historians, biased against augments, exaggerated the extent of the carnage?

Or perhaps (as in the Cox novels) deaths attributed to other causes (such as the Bhopal disaster in 1984 India) were actually found to be loosely or directly related to the secretive Eugenics Wars.  Much in the way that certain Cold War incidents were covered in the press or by the military as 'accidents' or 'training exercises.'  Actual history is never going to fully reconcile with the fictional future posed by '60s Star Trek; though I applaud Greg Cox for a very noteworthy and entertaining attempt.

I think it was an unconventional war. Thousands of terrorists cells all coordinated. Historians are still arguing. Does the terrorist attack in xyz country count? Was it part of the war or was it an independent action? Does the famine in abc country count as war deaths? Different historians count it different ways. Some historians count every plague, famine and terrorist death as a war death. Some do not. So the figures for how many died depend on what historian you are quoting. 

Oh one more (minor) thing - I think New York does still exist.

I think ENT had a scene with Archer in New York....

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0