Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robin Bland

Ex_Machina and other AI Discussion

106 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Bill Gates fun chum Ray Kurzweil on AI and stuff:

http://fortune.com/2007/05/14/ray-kurzweil-innovation-artificial-intelligence/?utm_content=buffer7478f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Don't worry, everything will be all right when you have nanobots living in your brain. 

What could go wrong?  :P

7 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

What could go wrong?  :P

Well, reality's kind of a bummer anyway, so what is there to lose?

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

Well, reality's kind of a bummer anyway, so what is there to lose?

No kidding, right?

I want his 4 min. exercise machine ( * feeling covetous...* )

ray-kurzweil-628.jpg

^
I  seriously want this (:thumbup:); I'm guessing if you put a big rotating dish on the back and you could probably travel through time.... :P

1VvuOQ.gif

27 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

No kidding, right?

I'll have to remove myself to the KM section, but I'm, like, in "Runaway greenhouse effect expectancy" mode right now. :furious:

27 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I want his 4 min. exercise machine ( * feeling covetous...* )

^
I  seriously want this (:thumbup:); I'm guessing if you put a big rotating dish on the back and you could probably travel through time.... :P

Yeah, that rig is seriously nuts. I'd clear the basement to install it! :laugh:

Not quite AI discussion perhaps, but a young French woman is engaged to a robot she has built for herself:

http://money.cnn.com/mostly-human/i-love-you-bot/

Since the robot in the videos doesn't have any intelligence or awareness (or ANY simulated personality traits to speak of) this is, IMO, no different than a person 'falling in love' with his/her sex toy or a pillow.  I would find this story a LOT more interesting if the robot in question had some level of awareness; or even just a Siri-like interactive ability (which later videos in this series illustrate).   But in this case, it's little more than a mannequin that the woman manipulates in totality.   There's no real equality or partnership here; but one wonders if it's a first step in a legal precedent someday.

But, of course, as I always say... whatever floats one's boat.  If one seeks companionship (or love) in objects... well, then why not?  As long as no one else is hurt, harmed or doing anything against his/her will?  It doesn't really matter.   

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0