Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

Ex_Machina and other AI Discussion

40 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Bill Gates fun chum Ray Kurzweil on AI and stuff:

http://fortune.com/2007/05/14/ray-kurzweil-innovation-artificial-intelligence/?utm_content=buffer7478f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Don't worry, everything will be all right when you have nanobots living in your brain. 

What could go wrong?  :P

7 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

What could go wrong?  :P

Well, reality's kind of a bummer anyway, so what is there to lose?

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

Well, reality's kind of a bummer anyway, so what is there to lose?

No kidding, right?

I want his 4 min. exercise machine ( * feeling covetous...* )

ray-kurzweil-628.jpg

^
I  seriously want this (:thumbup:); I'm guessing if you put a big rotating dish on the back and you could probably travel through time.... :P

1VvuOQ.gif

27 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

No kidding, right?

I'll have to remove myself to the KM section, but I'm, like, in "Runaway greenhouse effect expectancy" mode right now. :furious:

27 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I want his 4 min. exercise machine ( * feeling covetous...* )

^
I  seriously want this (:thumbup:); I'm guessing if you put a big rotating dish on the back and you could probably travel through time.... :P

Yeah, that rig is seriously nuts. I'd clear the basement to install it! :laugh:

Not quite AI discussion perhaps, but a young French woman is engaged to a robot she has built for herself:

http://money.cnn.com/mostly-human/i-love-you-bot/

Since the robot in the videos doesn't have any intelligence or awareness (or ANY simulated personality traits to speak of) this is, IMO, no different than a person 'falling in love' with his/her sex toy or a pillow.  I would find this story a LOT more interesting if the robot in question had some level of awareness; or even just a Siri-like interactive ability (which later videos in this series illustrate).   But in this case, it's little more than a mannequin that the woman manipulates in totality.   There's no real equality or partnership here; but one wonders if it's a first step in a legal precedent someday.

But, of course, as I always say... whatever floats one's boat.  If one seeks companionship (or love) in objects... well, then why not?  As long as no one else is hurt, harmed or doing anything against his/her will?  It doesn't really matter.   

That's disturbing on a whole range of issues, not least of which that one can be sexually assaulted in cyberspace. The whole question of pedophiles and robots moreso, even if such scenarios are, as yet, still fictional. There's a whole new moral ocean to be mapped as this new tech develops. 

Here's something else to get disturbed about:

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/aug/08/rise-of-the-racist-robots-how-ai-is-learning-all-our-worst-impulses

On 8/8/2017 at 0:45 AM, Robin Bland said:

That's disturbing on a whole range of issues, not least of which that one can be sexually assaulted in cyberspace. The whole question of pedophiles and robots moreso, even if such scenarios are, as yet, still fictional. There's a whole new moral ocean to be mapped as this new tech develops. 

Here's something else to get disturbed about:

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/aug/08/rise-of-the-racist-robots-how-ai-is-learning-all-our-worst-impulses

Sadly, future AIs will only be as ‘moral’ as what we put into them.   We aspire to create Datas; more likely we’ll have Lores.  They could very well wind up being reflections of our own darker impulses rather than some noble, sentient demigods we dream up in fantasies that are nothing more than flatter-casting portraits of ourselves. 

55 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Not sure if I’m excited or scared s#!tless...:ohmy:

Imagine if we create a true AI that can not only problem solve, but is (in effect) never wrong.  Where does this lead?  Minds that are ultimately superior to ours?   Our will creativity (beyond strategizing/problem-solving) and intuition be those ineffable qualities that keep us a step ahead?  Alpha Go Zero sounds both exhilarating and a bit like the intro to a new Terminator movie.

Given the state of our world today, I can’t help wondering if machines might do better...:(

48 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Not sure if I’m excited or scared s#!tless...:ohmy:

Imagine if we create a true AI that can not only problem solve, but is (in effect) never wrong.  Where does this lead?  Minds that are ultimately superior to ours?   Our will creativity (beyond strategizing/problem-solving) and intuition be those ineffable qualities that keep us a step ahead?  Alpha Go Zero sounds both exhilarating and a bit like the intro to a new Terminator movie.

Given the state of our world today, I can’t help wondering if machines might do better...:(

Yeah! What's most frightening about is that I actually can't imagine the implications as to all other applications. It feels like a major development, but no-one can predict what it's developing into.

Although that learning ability isn't actually sentience... self-awareness... is it? ...Yet? [Tails off...]

2 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Yeah! What's most frightening about is that I actually can't imagine the implications as to all other applications. It feels like a major development, but no-one can predict what it's developing into.

Although that learning ability isn't actually sentience... self-awareness... is it? ...Yet? [Tails off...]

But such near-perfect (albeit binary) thinking is still a formidable thing; at what point does this non-sentient but highly intelligent system begin to make its own decisions?  Or worse, makes them for us?   I guess I grew up in the shadow of HAL9000....:cylonweapons:

45 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

But such near-perfect (albeit binary) thinking is still a formidable thing; at what point does this non-sentient but highly intelligent system begin to make its own decisions?  Or worse, makes them for us?   I guess I grew up in the shadow of HAL9000....:cylonweapons:

That is the ultimate worry... "thinking" but without nuance.

The term AI means many things now. But maybe we need AE too. Artificial emotions. The higher ones, anyway.

39 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

That is the ultimate worry... "thinking" but without nuance.

The term AI means many things now. But maybe we need AE too. Artificial emotions. The higher ones, anyway.

I wonder if emotions (assuming they’re even possible in AI) might be what pushes such an intelligence into full-blown Frankensteinian territory?   Certainly giving AI empathy and other commendable qualities is great on paper, but do those qualities even exist without some awareness of their darker flip-sides (jealousy, pettiness, apathy, etc)? 

Then again, we run that risk as a species by having children, right?   If AI is humanity’s collective child, then should we not be too surprised to see ourselves (good and bad qualities) reflected in it?

On 10/18/2017 at 10:10 PM, Sehlat Vie said:

I wonder if emotions (assuming they’re even possible in AI) might be what pushes such an intelligence into full-blown Frankensteinian territory?   Certainly giving AI empathy and other commendable qualities is great on paper, but do those qualities even exist without some awareness of their darker flip-sides (jealousy, pettiness, apathy, etc)? 

Then again, we run that risk as a species by having children, right?   If AI is humanity’s collective child, then should we not be too surprised to see ourselves (good and bad qualities) reflected in it?

In the arts, we tend to assume that we will be able to replicate (haha) emotions in our AI children. But when we don’t fully comprehend how emotions work ourselves, how can we do that? We can certainly simulate emotional responses, but that’s not the same thing. That’s interactive; it’s an interface. Actually give a machine self-awareness, a layered sense of morality, a desire to work with others, a feeling of wanting to belong in a community... sophisticated stuff like that - it is even possible? If it does get so sophisticated as to develop self-awareness, can we prevent it from feeling too lonely? Will it - he/she (?) even want our help? I fell like science and engineering are not exploring the philosophical implications of a world transformed by AI enough. The arts tend to do it because the arts functions as the conscience of any society, to an extent. But industry just ploughs ever forward with (apparently) few ethical considerations, and the only real one there being the profit margin. 

The Guardian’s launched a more down-to-earth exploration of AI in the here-and-now -  what the state of it is currently, and what it might mean in the immediate future. First feature here:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/nov/01/artificial-intelligence-risks-gm-style-public-backlash-experts-warn

4 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

I saw this yesterday on the news, and I about blew coffee out of my nose.

Both amazing and a little scary;  I still remember “Asimo” taking tentative, slow steps.   Now robots do freaking gymnastics...  

As I told my wife, meet our successors.  :ohmy:

8 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I saw this yesterday on the news, and I about blew coffee out of my nose.

Both amazing and a little scary;  I still remember “Asimo” taking tentative, slow steps.   Now robots do freaking gymnastics...  

As I told my wife, meet our successors.  :ohmy:

Any of those problems I foresaw with AI building itself (he/herself) mobile bodies... forget ‘em! 

Yeah, this is downright incredible. 

11 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Any of those problems I foresaw with AI building itself (he/herself) mobile bodies... forget ‘em! 

Yeah, this is downright incredible. 

And this may be a tiny bit xenophobic on my part to admit this, but... also a little scary (?).

I was worried enough to hear about flying drones clandestinely killing people through night vision, but this smacks of next generation Terminator tech.   Whenever I see some super development in cybernetics, my next worry these days is ‘how will the military co-opt this and pervert it?’ 

5 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

And this may be a tiny bit xenophobic on my part to admit this, but... also a little scary (?).

I was worried enough to hear about flying drones clandestinely killing people through night vision, but this smacks of next generation Terminator tech.   Whenever I see some super development in cybernetics, my next worry these days is ‘how will the military co-opt this and pervert it?’ 

Well, precisely. I’m not worried about AI per se as much as I am the way humanity will pervert it and use it for its own ends. 

Sign in to follow this