Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kenman

Planet of the Apes Saga

124 posts in this topic

I thought I'd see how others feel about the Planet of the Apes series. How do you rank the films? My rankings are as follows:

1. Planet of the Apes

- The original is still the best IMO. It is flawless cinema and showcases movie magic with high concept adventure. It is also completely different from the other sci-fi masterpiece that came out in 1968, yet they both showcase the range of the genre.

2. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

- I'm amazed a major studio released a big budget major special effects movie that wasn't just explosions, and spent about the first 20 minutes in sign language! This movie took the ideas of the previous film, built on the mperfectly, better integrated the human characters, and made a smart sci-fi action blockbuster movie. When things like this, Intersteller, and Gravity crack the top 10 at the box office, it gives me hope that not all is lost.

3. Conquest of the Planet of the Apes

-A dark and well crafted origin tale of the series, Roddy McDowell is great in this one, and despite a few flaws I think this is my favorite sequel to the original film. It crafted a unique human dystopia and sets the stage for a war between Apes and Humans (that ultimately proves a letdown).

4. Beneath the Planet of the Apes

-Certainly a flawed movie, but the Atomic people worshipping the bomb and the Forbiddon zone...I think this movie has some cool ideas, if only Charlton Heston had come back for the full movie I think it could have been so much better.

5. Rise of the Planet of the Apes

-When this was first announced I thought "why bother?" Time Burton had made it seem unlikely the series needed to be revived. I thought it was just a series of it's time. And the CGI apes disheartened me a bit. But the movie won me over. It is well made, smarter than your average summer movie, and the CG looked pretty good! My only real issue is that the apes turned out to be so captivating that it is kind of frustrating to keep going back to James Franco's uninteresting character...just show me those Apes revolting!

6. Escape from the Planet of the Apes

-I like a lot of elements from this movie, but also found this movie to be jarring in it's shifting tone. It is a fish out of water comedy, then a political thriller, and the whole concept of how they managed to get back in time never truly made sense to me...how did they fix a spaceship so fast, get up in the air and manage to go back in time when the planet exploded? That initial premise is always a stumbling block for me, but I do like elements in this movie in spite of that.

7. Battle for the Planet of the Apes

-So much promise for a good movie wasted on such a low budget, which cheapens the actual storytelling. Conquest promised such an interesting sequel, but Battle couldn't deliver, the titular Battle is so lame. I don't actually hate it, I just think it's disappointing. Luckily what I wanted in this movie kind of got delievered with Dawn.

8. Tim Burton's remake

- Awful, missed entirely the point of what made the original and the sequels so intriguing. It does, however, feature great make-up effects.

Can we just have a discussion about the Planet of the Apes series? I'd love to! I'm a big fan of these movies, and I'd love to hear others thoughts on them.

I like Planet of the Apes, too. Just last summer, I watched all of the old movies (again, in case of the first three).

I'm sorry, but I just can't memorize all the different names of the movies ... I tried but constantly keep mixing them up. That they all have different German titles doesn't make it better.

My ranking is pretty simple:

As far as the classic movies are concerned, I feel each movie is better than its successor: #1 is great, #2 is good, #3 is okay, #4 is mixed and #5 is just totally superfluous, IMO.

I wasn't a big fan of the Tim Burton remake. It was mildly entertaining when watching it, but I really didn't have the feeling it's a movie I need to see more than once. It doesn't have the naive charm of the original.

Of the new movies, I've only seen "Dawn" so far (which for some odd reason was called "Prevolution" in Germany). I liked it very much! But as it was a very different kind of movie than the classic ones, I find it hard to compare them. I've yet to see "Rise".

Things I love about the classic movies are, among others, the telepathic people worshipping the bomb and Ricardo Montalban's role. :)

I like Planet of the Apes, too. Just last summer, I watched all of the old movies (again, in case of the first three).

I'm sorry, but I just can't memorize all the different names of the movies ... I tried but constantly keep mixing them up. That they all have different German titles doesn't make it better.

My ranking is pretty simple:

As far as the classic movies are concerned, I feel each movie is better than its successor: #1 is great, #2 is good, #3 is okay, #4 is mixed and #5 is just totally superfluous, IMO.

I wasn't a big fan of the Tim Burton remake. It was mildly entertaining when watching it, but I really didn't have the feeling it's a movie I need to see more than once. It doesn't have the naive charm of the original.

Of the new movies, I've only seen "Dawn" so far (which for some odd reason was called "Prevolution" in Germany). I liked it very much! But as it was a very different kind of movie than the classic ones, I find it hard to compare them. I've yet to see "Rise".

Things I love about the classic movies are, among others, the telepathic people worshipping the bomb and Ricardo Montalban's role. :)

Prevolution? That is an odd title, I wonder how the distributors in Germany came up with that? Also I love Ricardo Montalban in both his briefer role in Escape, and his slightly more pronounced role in Conquest. It is so cool that after years of seeing him as Khan only, I got to see him in a more likable and friendly role. He was such a cool actor.

Ultimately, I decided to skip the most recent one. I always liked the series, but the apes ALWAYS win. It's like watching a Harlem Globetrotters game at this point.

I think the films tend to be about more than who wins or loses. I like visiting the world the apes inhabit. Also Dawn is really great, for me it was far more exciting than the onslaught of superhero and sci-fi action schlock movies that come out every summer. I actually wish someone would take over Trek in the same loving manner that hte apes series has been revived. I would love to see Star Trek be something deeper and more intelligent, yet still balances fun and adventure in the same way these Apes movies have been.

I thought I'd see how others feel about the Planet of the Apes series. How do you rank the films? My rankings are as follows:

1. Planet of the Apes

- The original is still the best IMO. It is flawless cinema and showcases movie magic with high concept adventure. It is also completely different from the other sci-fi masterpiece that came out in 1968, yet they both showcase the range of the genre.

2. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

- I'm amazed a major studio released a big budget major special effects movie that wasn't just explosions, and spent about the first 20 minutes in sign language! This movie took the ideas of the previous film, built on the mperfectly, better integrated the human characters, and made a smart sci-fi action blockbuster movie. When things like this, Intersteller, and Gravity crack the top 10 at the box office, it gives me hope that not all is lost.

3. Conquest of the Planet of the Apes

-A dark and well crafted origin tale of the series, Roddy McDowell is great in this one, and despite a few flaws I think this is my favorite sequel to the original film. It crafted a unique human dystopia and sets the stage for a war between Apes and Humans (that ultimately proves a letdown).

4. Beneath the Planet of the Apes

-Certainly a flawed movie, but the Atomic people worshipping the bomb and the Forbiddon zone...I think this movie has some cool ideas, if only Charlton Heston had come back for the full movie I think it could have been so much better.

5. Rise of the Planet of the Apes

-When this was first announced I thought "why bother?" Time Burton had made it seem unlikely the series needed to be revived. I thought it was just a series of it's time. And the CGI apes disheartened me a bit. But the movie won me over. It is well made, smarter than your average summer movie, and the CG looked pretty good! My only real issue is that the apes turned out to be so captivating that it is kind of frustrating to keep going back to James Franco's uninteresting character...just show me those Apes revolting!

6. Escape from the Planet of the Apes

-I like a lot of elements from this movie, but also found this movie to be jarring in it's shifting tone. It is a fish out of water comedy, then a political thriller, and the whole concept of how they managed to get back in time never truly made sense to me...how did they fix a spaceship so fast, get up in the air and manage to go back in time when the planet exploded? That initial premise is always a stumbling block for me, but I do like elements in this movie in spite of that.

7. Battle for the Planet of the Apes

-So much promise for a good movie wasted on such a low budget, which cheapens the actual storytelling. Conquest promised such an interesting sequel, but Battle couldn't deliver, the titular Battle is so lame. I don't actually hate it, I just think it's disappointing. Luckily what I wanted in this movie kind of got delievered with Dawn.

8. Tim Burton's remake

- Awful, missed entirely the point of what made the original and the sequels so intriguing. It does, however, feature great make-up effects.

Can we just have a discussion about the Planet of the Apes series? I'd love to! I'm a big fan of these movies, and I'd love to hear others thoughts on them.

Your list parallels yours (exactly so, in fact).

I've been an Apes fan since I was a little kid.

I even watched (and currently own) both the DVDs of the live action TV series (1974) and the cartoon spinoff (1975). I used to have a PotA cereal bowl as a little boy (sad, but true!). PotA was my first real 'franchise love' (pre-Star Trek and Star Wars); I had the treehouse play-set when I was about 8 or so, and even had the Mego action figures. In fact, this past Christmas my sister gifted me with the definitive book on the entire franchise (old and new):

d2e006fe3183c3bc3721a986046f7c2f.jpg

I soooo love this book! (* this was taken right before I ripped into it like a drill sergeant to a new recruit... * ).

Cowritten by Jeff Bond, an entertainment writer I have great respect for.

Regarding my comments on the Apes' films? I agree the first original film was the strongest and that surprise ending can never be truly equalled or duplicated.

I think I might put "Beneath..." a peg higher perhaps, but that largely depends on what mood I'm in, of course; "Conquest" is a stronger film overall, I agree (and the themes of slavery & racial inequality are very palpable, especially these days).

The last two Apes films were both pleasant surprises, and I loved them both; so much so that I agree "Dawn..." absolutely deserves the #2 spot below the original. I liked "Rise..." as well, but I think "Dawn" was more entertaining and the apes were better delineated. It's also amazing how much emotion and texture that is captured by the CGI makeup; it's a full generation improved from the Weta software we see in "Rise..." And Andy Serkis DESERVES an Oscar someday!

Your observations on all the movies are spot on and I very much agree; especially in regard to the Tim Burton remake. Worth it primarily for the makeup and not much else...

Ultimately, I decided to skip the most recent one. I always liked the series, but the apes ALWAYS win. It's like watching a Harlem Globetrotters game at this point.

It's not a 'good vs bad' type movie series; there are no 'winners or losers'. It's not Star Wars. The Apes movies are about us. Human beings. How we deal with and relate to each other.

It's not necessarily about humans and apes; it's humans vs. other facets of humanity. That's also one of the themes that survived from Pierre Boule's original novel (which I also have; both an original French copy and an English translation). It's the same brand of allegory as "Gulliver's Travels"; which is not about Gulliver meeting strange beings, it's about Gulliver encountering different facets of humanity represented as 'others' (like what ST did with 'alien' cultures).

Dawn really kind of blew me away when I saw it in the theater. I was expecting another solid movie, but it was really entertaining and just seemed to get what the series is all about. Along with Let Me In, Matt Reeves is becoming a filmmaker I am looking out for. I'm excited to see where he goes next wit this series. Rise was a decent movie, but James Franco is not who I would cast as...actually much of anything. And when we get Caeser in that facility, it just felt jarring everytime it cut back to these lifeless human characters.

Beneath I always feel could've been a lot better if Heston didn't disappear early on and we have some Heston stand in relive the mprevious film. I want to get Beneath this Ape Planet! Still, the mutant humans are such a neat idea, and the finale is great (once Heston returns and does the ultimate deed).

I have currently only seen a handful of episodes of the live action show, and maybe two of the cartoon. I actually think the cartoon seems more interesting story and world building wise, but the animation is so cheap (complain all you want about Star Trek's animated show, the POTA toon is even cheaper!).

Also, I'm gonna have to someday get that book!

Dawn really kind of blew me away when I saw it in the theater. I was expecting another solid movie, but it was really entertaining and just seemed to get what the series is all about. Along with Let Me In, Matt Reeves is becoming a filmmaker I am looking out for. I'm excited to see where he goes next wit this series. Rise was a decent movie, but James Franco is not who I would cast as...actually much of anything. And when we get Caeser in that facility, it just felt jarring everytime it cut back to these lifeless human characters.

Beneath I always feel could've been a lot better if Heston didn't disappear early on and we have some Heston stand in relive the mprevious film. I want to get Beneath this Ape Planet! Still, the mutant humans are such a neat idea, and the finale is great (once Heston returns and does the ultimate deed).

I have currently only seen a handful of episodes of the live action show, and maybe two of the cartoon. I actually think the cartoon seems more interesting story and world building wise, but the animation is so cheap (complain all you want about Star Trek's animated show, the POTA toon is even cheaper!).

Actually the PotA cartoon is a step up in animation quality to the ST TAS (which I love, by the way; I'm not slamming either). The backgrounds and designs were pretty cool, but the PotA TAS stories were very juvenile. ST-TAS was essentially written by writers of TOS, so the story quality was consistent; but PotA TAS was jarringly childish (which was fine when I was 8 or so).

The PotA live-action series took on a "Fugitive" storyline, with two humans, Virdon and Burke, on the run with a sympathetic chimp Galen (played once again by the always-game Roddy McDowell). It had moments, but basically was the same thing week-after-week; run, hide, escape. Rinse. Repeat. There were one or two exceptions, but overall it had a sameness to it. Interesting casting however, with ST's Mark Lenard ("Sarek") playing gorilla general Urko (played by "Dagger of the Mind" 's James Gregory in "Beneath...").

PS: And yes, the book is magnificent! It has tons of great photos (most of which I'd never seen) and articles about the makeup, music, promotion, etc. with equal recognition of the new movies as well.

My only nit? The animated and TV series get short shift (perhaps that's for the best? I dunno).

Actually the PotA cartoon is a step up in animation quality to the ST TAS (which I love, by the way; I'm not slamming either). The backgrounds and designs were pretty cool, but the PotA TAS stories were very juvenile. ST-TAS was essentially written by writers of TOS, so the story quality was consistent; but PotA TAS was jarringly childish (which was fine when I was 8 or so).

The PotA live-action series took on a "Fugitive" storyline, with two humans, Virdon and Burke, on the run with a sympathetic chimp Galen (played once again by the always-game Roddy McDowell). It had moments, but basically was the same thing week-after-week; run, hide, escape. Rinse. Repeat. There were one or two exceptions, but overall it had a sameness to it. Interesting casting however, with ST's Mark Lenard ("Sarek") playing gorilla general Urko (played by "Dagger of the Mind" 's James Gregory in "Beneath...").

Hmm...I only saw two episodes of the animated show. I liked the designs, but it seemed so often it had very stiff animation, or seemingly just still frames with audio. Maybe that was just how the first episode seemed. Agiain I only watched 2 episodes...I think. I don't really remember the story, it just seemed somewhat more creative compared to the live-action show, which is exactly what you said (of the 5 or 6 episodes I watched). Though I would agree it seemed far more childish than anything else in the franchise.

I definitely prefer Star Trek TAS in terms of story, probably because those do feel just like Star Trek (I too love it, and it is the completion of the 5-Year Mission for me).

I'm a fan of these movies. I'll skip the older movies since the reviews provided above mirror my own.

I didn't bother with the recent remake. I thought, "Here's Hollywood again rebooting a classic because they ran out of ideas". Then I watched it at home and was shocked at how good it was. I liked that the reboot to included something along the lines of memory/brain enhancement. It doesn't hurt that the movie has San Francisco as its background either.

The scene that clinched it for me is when Caesar speaks, which is mentioned in one of the older movies. I think my jaw dropped. THEN the scene on the bridge when the cops are waiting to see what's coming out of the smoke, a lonely horse runs at them, and then Caesar sits up. I was floored. These people respected and understood the older movies and had the imagination to spin it into something new and relevant.

I didn't bother to wait for a home viewing for the follow up. Went to the theater and again was very happy with the results.

I'm a fan of these movies. I'll skip the older movies since the reviews provided above mirror my own.

I didn't bother with the recent remake. I thought, "Here's Hollywood again rebooting a classic because they ran out of ideas". Then I watched it at home and was shocked at how good it was. I liked that the reboot to included something along the lines of memory/brain enhancement. It doesn't hurt that the movie has San Francisco as its background either.

The scene that clinched it for me is when Caesar speaks, which is mentioned in one of the older movies. I think my jaw dropped. THEN the scene on the bridge when the cops are waiting to see what's coming out of the smoke, a lonely horse runs at them, and then Caesar sits up. I was floored. These people respected and understood the older movies and had the imagination to spin it into something new and relevant.

I didn't bother to wait for a home viewing for the follow up. Went to the theater and again was very happy with the results.

The way they did the "NO!" exclamation in Rise was very well done, and I to felt it was coming from people who just got waht made the originals tick. Like I said earlier, I really wish someone could come in to Trek and give it that spark of intelligence and slightly deeper meaning that the last two films kind of lacked for me. If someone could make a Trek that has the same pacing and iintelligence and wonder that Dawn had, I'd be very pleased indeed.

The way they did the "NO!" exclamation in Rise was very well done, and I to felt it was coming from people who just got waht made the originals tick. Like I said earlier, I really wish someone could come in to Trek and give it that spark of intelligence and slightly deeper meaning that the last two films kind of lacked for me. If someone could make a Trek that has the same pacing and iintelligence and wonder that Dawn had, I'd be very pleased indeed.

Very much agreed.

"Dawn" had much action, but it also made sense. It wasn't just action for action's sake. I also enjoy how in the newer films (thanks to modern technology), we also have apes that truly move and look more like the real thing. In the originals, they used pretty much the same casts and molds for all the apes; an orangutan was just a strawberry blonde variation on the chimp makeup. And gorillas were just darker. Anatomically of course, they were human, not simian. Don't get me wrong; I love the originals (very much, in fact), but the newer movies' creatures really look, act and feel much more like genuine simians. I like that.

And Caesar's first "No!" was beautifully done. I also love his "Caesar is home."

Again; I want to see Andy Serkis win an Oscar someday; he is to virtual performance what Lon Chaney Sr. was to acting in heavy makeup.

And regarding "Rise", I didn't have the issues with James Franco that others did; I'm generally appreciative of his work ("127 Hours" is amazing), so his casting didn't really bother me too much.

You nailed it with eh Chaney analogy! I hadn't thought of it that way before but you are absolutely right. I've never given much creedence to the Oscars, because whether a movie wins or not it doesn't validate my opinion or not. But he does deserve all the praise he can get, especially his Gollum and Caser performances...even his King Kong was sympathetic.

Fair enough on Franco. I don't despise him (I also have yet to see 127 Hours), but I rarely have found him believable. I think my problem was that most of the humans in Rise were written a little too flat and uninteresting, and with Serkis giving such a great performance, it was jarring to go from his silent mo-cap performance, and then back to rather uninspired one-dimensional humans. I just wanted to really sit with Caeser on his journey. That said, my second viewing of the film found it slightly less frustrating and jarring to switch between the apes in captivity and the humans working in the lab, so maybe I just need to warm to it a little more. I'm bound to watch it again someday.

Edited by kenman

You nailed it with eh Chaney analogy! I hadn't thought of it that way before but you are absolutely right. I've never given much creedence to the Oscars, because whether a movie wins or not it doesn't validate my opinion or not. But he does deserve all the praise he can get, especially his Gollum and Caser performances...even his King Kong was sympathetic.

Fair enough on Franco. I don't despise him (I also have yet to see 127 Hours), but I rarely have found him believable. I think my problem was that most of the humans in Rise were written a little too flat and uninteresting, and with Serkis giving such a great performance, it was jarring to go from his silent mo-cap performance, and then back to rather uninspired one-dimensional humans. I just wanted to really sit with Caeser on his journey. That said, my second viewing of the film found it slightly less frustrating and jarring to switch between the apes in captivity and the humans working in the lab, so maybe I just need to warm to it a little more. I'm bound to watch it again someday.

The one human character in "Rise" who really stood out for me was John Lithgow as Franco's dad; he was amazing.

I've loved Lithgow since 3rd Rock from the Sun, and his performance on Dexter was the last truly captivating thing to happen on that series. He was good in Rise, and I have to agree that he was the lone stand out, even though like everyone else in that movie he is written rather one dimensional.

I've loved Lithgow since 3rd Rock from the Sun, and his performance on Dexter was the last truly captivating thing to happen on that series. He was good in Rise, and I have to agree that he was the lone stand out, even though like everyone else in that movie he is written rather one dimensional.

I've been a fan of Lithgow since he played "Roberta" in "World According To Garp" (1982).

He also did an amazing job as Yoda in the "Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back" NPR radio play (1981).

I've been a fan of Lithgow since he played "Roberta" in "World According To Garp" (1982).

He also did an amazing job as Yoda in the "Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back" NPR radio play (1981).

I've not yet seen Garp, and I think I listened to Episode 1 of the New Hope adaptation, but for some reason didn't carry on. But I think Lithgow is a good character actor.

Kenman, thank you for this thread! It inspired me to order a blu ray double pack with both "Dawn" and "Rise", which has just arrived. I'll let you know what I think of "Rise" when I've seen it (not sure how soon that will be, though)!

Kenman, thank you for this thread! It inspired me to order a blu ray double pack with both "Dawn" and "Rise", which has just arrived. I'll let you know what I think of "Rise" when I've seen it (not sure how soon that will be, though)!

No problem! I don't own "Dawn" yet, but I can't wait to get it and revisit it (buying a house is currently a priority of getting any new movies, so I must currently hold off). I got "Rise" and the set of the original 5 films on Blu-ray for Christmas this year, and I they look great! Happy to help inspire more people buying Apes movies!

No problem! I don't own "Dawn" yet, but I can't wait to get it and revisit it (buying a house is currently a priority of getting any new movies, so I must currently hold off). I got "Rise" and the set of the original 5 films on Blu-ray for Christmas this year, and I they look great! Happy to help inspire more people buying Apes movies!

go_ape_HP02058_L.jpg

I couldn't resist... :giggle:

go_ape_HP02058_L.jpg

I couldn't resist... :giggle:

I love that poster. I think I first saw it on this blog Space: 1970...which by the way is filled with all sorts of fun oddities about 70s sci-fi.

I have that blog bookmarked... the author's a fellow Space:1999 fan and I found it on a google search.

And yes, I'm so frakking old I actually REMEMBER that poster as a little boy.

I was a bit too young to remember seeing the first two in theatres in original run; however I do vaguely remember seeing the last few in theatres. I vividly recall seeing "Conquest" and "Battle" at around age 5 & 6, I think. And I also recall devouring the live-action 1974 TV show; I think I was depressed for about a week or so when I found out it had been canceled. The cartoon was aired a year later was small consolation...

I wasn't around yet during the 70s, but I like a lot of 70s sci-fi, so I too have it bookmarked. It's fun to peruse. Space:1999 is on hulu, and I've watched the first two episodes and liked it. Once I finish up Quantum Leap I think that may be the next thing I tackle.

Edited by kenman

I wasn't around yet during the 70s, but I like a lot of 70s sci-fi, so I too have it bookmarked. It's fun to peruse. Space:1999 is on hulu, and I've watched the first two episodes and liked it. Once I finish up Quantum Leap I think that may be the next thing I tackle.

Well, in the dim time before "Star Wars" (and the ST movies), "Planet of the Apes" was the biggest (and earliest) franchise love of my early childhood, that's for sure.

My love of ST was kind of around the same time; I had the Mego Star Trek action figures, and I loved TAS, but POTA felt more 'epic.' It was an event... like Star Wars later on.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0