Sign in to follow this  
prometheus59650

MGM Sets Up a ME-TV-ish Sci-Fi Channel

As a cord cutter who likes to flip through the antenna channels, I love the idea, and I hope a Cleveland channel picks it up, being able to flip on Dead Like Me or The Outer on a whim is really appealing.

I imagine this being some sci-fi shows and whatever sci-fi movies MGM happens to have the rights to in the rotation.  Stargate will probably be the bulk of programming, but I'm really intrigued to see the 90s Outer Limits again to be honest.  MGM also has a hand in MeTV and ThisTV and both have pretty good programming blocks, so I am intrigued by this, especially since it will have a science fiction slant...most of what I enjoy on MeTV is their retro sci-fi programming blocks.

I never watched the show, so I guess it'd be a way of catching up. Kind of interested in the updated Outer Limits - missed quite a few of those. 

I never watched the show, so I guess it'd be a way of catching up. Kind of interested in the updated Outer Limits - missed quite a few of those. 

I watched a few back in the '90s when they went to the (then) SciFi channel (now inexplicably SyFy).   They were pretty interesting (with some future big name stars in them as well), but I thought the old ones (in black and white) were just... spookier.  

Still; I'll check out any new network that promises round-the-clock science fiction programming (the original-but-now-broken promise of the SyFy channel)...

Still; I'll check out any new network that promises round-the-clock science fiction programming (the original-but-now-broken promise of the SyFy channel)...

I'd give them their Sharknados and Lavantulas if they tried some honest sci-fi once in a while, but the network has been pretty barren for a long time. 

Still; I'll check out any new network that promises round-the-clock science fiction programming (the original-but-now-broken promise of the SyFy channel)...

I'd give them their Sharknados and Lavantulas if they tried some honest sci-fi once in a while, but the network has been pretty barren for a long time. 

Haven't really seen much genuine science fiction out of them since "Caprica" went off the air....

There's "Dark Matter" on Fridays, and it's not bad, but it's made by the original producers of SG: Atlantis, so it's on the lighter side.

There's "Dark Matter" on Fridays, and it's not bad, but it's made by the original producers of SG: Atlantis, so it's on the lighter side.

Haven't seen that one yet; is it any good?  

Not too bad, really. I've watched the first couple and have the others on my DVR yet. Group awakens on a ship with no memory only to find that they are basically a suicide squad of bad guys meant to wipe out a small mining colony so a conglomerate can come in. 

It's as much about them coming to terms with their previous lives and if they want to continue on that path. It's an ok watch. 

I saw the pilot, but sadly it just didn't do much for me.  Seemed like a cross between "Andromeda Strain" and "The Thing" but not as good as either, really.  Maybe I should've revisited it later on (I heard it got better), but I kind of lacked the impetus to do so... 

I saw the pilot, but sadly it just didn't do much for me.  Seemed like a cross between "Andromeda Strain" and "The Thing" but not as good as either, really.  Maybe I should've revisited it later on (I heard it got better), but I kind of lacked the impetus to do so... 

I had the exact same experience with Extant, that Halle Berry vehicle. I managed to make it to the third episode but it was so incredibly dull and I cared so little about the characters that I just couldn't get beyond that one - thought I did quite well, really. 

I don't mind sticking with a show if it shows promise. But gloss and high production values are not promise. I might give Helix a go - we have a new cable service and it keeps cropping up on the "Choices" menu. So the 'bot there has figured out I like SF already...

Be advised that "Helix" is cancelled.

(I just know there are some people that won't even bother trying something if it's already off the air.)

Edited by prometheus59650

(I just know there are some people that won't even bother trying something if it's already off the air.)

I think 95% of the "new" shows I've watched over the past few years were already done and over with when I started watching them. Nothing like binge-watching ten years worth of Stargate in a few months. 

Be advised that "Helix" is cancelled.

Right, thanks. Suspected as much. Question is - canceled and story wrapped, or canceled and left unresolved? Not much I can find elsewhere online to say either way. 

I had the exact same experience with Extant, that Halle Berry vehicle. I managed to make it to the third episode but it was so incredibly dull and I cared so little about the characters that I just couldn't get beyond that one - thought I did quite well, really. 

I don't mind sticking with a show if it shows promise. But gloss and high production values are not promise. I might give Helix a go - we have a new cable service and it keeps cropping up on the "Choices" menu. So the 'bot there has figured out I like SF already...

My Netflix recommendations list has me similarly trained.... :P

Although not a guarantee, you can probably figure out which areas will have this network based on the Sinclair Broadcasting Groups owned and operated list on Wikipedia: Wiki link

It is probable that many Sinclair stations will pick it up, but like you said not a guarantee. These things don't always work like that. For example: Tribune, who owns the station I work for, happens to own our channel's substation Antenna TV...but we had Antenna TV when it first launched, 2 years before Tribune even bought us.  This TV, also co-owned by Tribune was on in our market on another channel, and even when it's contract ended at the other Station, Tribune didn't move it to be a second subchannel (and many stations in town are now carrying multiple subchannels. It often depends on what contracts are already out there with each station, and what they wish to do with their allotted space in broadcast spectrum.

Sign in to follow this