Sim

What was the last piece of music you listened to?

Sim   

From the master of masters, Johann Sebastian Bach:

The French Suites played by Glenn Gould on a modern piano, and the six Brandenburg Concertos by Musica Amphion and Pieter-Jan Belder.

Holst's Jupiter and Mars; part of his Planets' Suite.

Great workout music for the exercise bike... gets my heart going.

Sim   

George Frederic Handel: Concerti grossi op.6, nos. 1-4.

And from baroque to rock: The album "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC, then "Led Zeppelin III" by Led Zeppelin. :)

Sim   

20th century "classical": Symphonies nos. 7&8 by E. Rautavaara (Helsinki Symphony Orchestra).

Toccatas by Johann Sebastian Bach, played traditionally on the harpsichord by Menno van Delft.

Sim   

Listened to lots of Mozart in the past week; concertos for piano, flute, clarinet, horn and string quartets.

Then some prog rock: "Fragile" by Yes!.

Bebop jazz: Fats Navarro recordings from 1948-50.

And some 70s and alternative rock: "Spectre" by Blue Öyster Cult and "Fist Sized Chunks" by Skin Yard.

Sim   

Beethoven's symphonies nos. #2 and #5, in a more modern interpretation by Sir Simon Rattle and the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.

Sim   

While reading: Various symphonic poems by Franz Liszt, interpreted by Arpad Joo and the Budapest Symphony Orchestra.

The Ds9 soundtrack disc set. I listen to it practically everyday. Doing anything at the sound off Sacrifice off Angels soundtrack makes whatever thing you're doing so EPIC. :P

The Ds9 soundtrack disc set. I listen to it practically everyday. Doing anything at the sound off Sacrifice off Angels soundtrack makes whatever thing you're doing so EPIC. :P

I wish there had been more from "Sacrifice of Angels," definitely one of the better suites from the B-team or whatever that disc was called. My absolute favorites from that set are from "Call to Arms" and "The Changing Face of Evil." I remember watching those episodes over and over back in the day just for the music. Now all I need is a Voyager soundtrack with music from "Scorpion" and my life will be complete.

Jerry Goldsmith's score to BREAKHEART PASS. I actually taped the theme off the TV decades back and wore that cassette out, so when the limited edition CD came out, I was right there waiting for it. Except for the heavily electronic scores, I can't remember many wrong turns Goldsmith made musically in the 70s ... his scores for Bronson movies are as good as the ones that are highly regarded and well-known (in fact, BREAKHEART in some ways is a much more dynamic visit to the driving sound of part of his much-later LA CONFIDENTIAL.

Iron Maiden's new single came out yesterday (Speed of Light) I solemnly swear I didn't listen to it on loop for 20 minutes :angel_not:

Some bebop jazz: Recordings by Fats Navarro from 1947.

Ha!

I was listening to another 'Fats' today; Fats Domino, his greatest hits CD.  Delightful music, that is... 

Sim   

Some bebop jazz: Recordings by Fats Navarro from 1947.

Ha!

I was listening to another 'Fats' today; Fats Domino, his greatest hits CD.  Delightful music, that is... 

Good choice!

I listened to some more bebop jazz today: Recordings by Dexter Morgan... uh, no, Dexter Gordon from 1948-52.

And now:

Star Trek - The Motion Picture soundtrack, 20th anniversary edition by Jerry Goldsmith, while reading the TMP sequel novel "Ex Machina".

Sim   

Some 90s rock: The two last albums by The Screaming Trees, "Oblivion" and "Dust".

Tame Impala's first three albums, plus he one the same guy produced for his girlfriend. They're all sublimely different from each other and all really bloody good! 

Sim   

90s rock: The album "Yield" by Pearl Jam.

And then, while reading: Beethoven's 8th symphony, interpreted by Simon Rattle and the Vienna Philharmonic Orchstra.

Now: Shostakovich's 1st symphony, interpreted by Rudolf Barshai and the WDR Symphony Orchestra Cologne.

Edited by Sim