Sim

What was the last piece of music you listened to?

kenman   

Was listening to some classical music like the William Tell Overture and bouncing the kid around to it.  Also the Blue Danube because I recently revisited 2001, and it's just a great piece of music.

Rgn   

Rihanna Loud

I'm curious; did you like Rihanna's song for Star Trek Beyond? 

I didn't see it yet. on my to do list

Rihanna Loud

I'm curious; did you like Rihanna's song for Star Trek Beyond? 

I didn't see it yet. on my to do list

It's one of the end credit music numbers.  I'm not terribly familiar with her work (my bad!) but it was pretty good IMO.

kenman   

After watching the Ron Howard-Beatles documentary, I've fallen into my usual Beatles hole, listening to a lot of their music (as well as rewatching Help!).  Today I also popped in the Beatles 1 blu-ray which features the original music videos (or promo films) that the Beatles made back in the 60s and/or a live performance of each of the songs from the Beatles 1 compilation album.  I've yet to pop in Disc 2 (known as 1+) which features the rest of the music videos they produced and a few more live TV appearances (the only Beatles music video I know of that was not included was one for the song Two of Us produced to promote the "Let It Be...Naked" release in the mid-2000s)....but I know I will before the day is through. They were just the best band in existence as far as I am concerned...their innovations to music videos as well as pop music in general were numerous...and they did it all in less than a decade.

kenman   

Was deep into Beatles listening.  Listened to "On Air: Live at the BBC - Vol. 2" bounced around a bit, and then decided to listen to George Harrison's first real solo album following the break-up (he had a film soundtrack and an electronic experimental thing while still with the Beatles), "All Things Must Pass." This album is pretty tremendous, and shows what can happen when you stifle a pretty decent songwriter for years and only allow him one or two songs per album.  It feels very much like Harrison feeling finally free of the Beatles shackles, and he was ready to fly.

kenman   

Still been deep into the Beatles. Been putting them on while working on smoothing out a textured wall in what will soon be our new baby's room.  Listened to the whole of Please Please Me, With the Beatles, A Hard Days Night, and Revolver while working on it.

Also picked up the "soundtrack" to the Ron Howard documentary, which is really just a remaster of the "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" album. It was originally recorded in 1964, but left on the shelf because the recording was deemed pretty useless in the 60s (crude recording techniques, not many producing techniques at the time to fix issues, not to mention the screams bleeding into all the tracks of the record), but given an original release in 1977 to rival an even worse record from 1962 that a rival company was releasing. I had a digital copy of that 1977 record...but it was never actually released on CD...but now they've got really good techniques to work with even crude recordings, and the remaster is pretty tremendous when you consider the source. You can really hear the music now, the screams more balanced into the mix...it sounds a lot better. 

Sim   

Still been deep into the Beatles. Been putting them on while working on smoothing out a textured wall in what will soon be our new baby's room.  Listened to the whole of Please Please Me, With the Beatles, A Hard Days Night, and Revolver while working on it.

I'm not very familiar with the Beatles' very early songs, but I've got "A Hard Days Night" and "Revolver" on my shelf, next to the later albums... perhaps I should listen to them again soon.

I remember when I renovated our kid's room 3 years ago, I would listen to "Spock's Beard" a lot ... guess both kinds of music are suited for happy anticipation. :)

kenman   

I'm not very familiar with the Beatles' very early songs, but I've got "A Hard Days Night" and "Revolver" on my shelf, next to the later albums... perhaps I should listen to them again soon.

I remember when I renovated our kid's room 3 years ago, I would listen to "Spock's Beard" a lot ... guess both kinds of music are suited for happy anticipation. :)

I'm hyper aware of everything they did, I even have a full bootleg of their original audition for Decca (in which they were famously rejected for), and a bootleg of their "Christmas album" which is really just all their Fan Club Christmas Records (5 minute Christmas messages sent on cheap discs to fan club members, collected for a record in 71 but never released beyond that). I'm a nut when it comes to the Beatles. Finest band that ever walked this Earth as far as I am concerned.

I think their earliest albums ("Please Please Me" and "With the Beatles") are solid pop-rock albums, but while I think they are a good listen, they weren't innovative yet.  "A Hard Day's Night" is the first album made up entirely of originals (all written by Lennon/McCartney) and features no covers.  You could start to see the seeds of innovation around the time of "Help!" but the really great innovations truly begin with "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver."  Like I said...big Beatles fan.  I discovered them in 1995 when I was like 7, and so I've been steeped in their history and whole archive since then!

Sim   

I'm hyper aware of everything they did, I even have a full bootleg of their original audition for Decca (in which they were famously rejected for), and a bootleg of their "Christmas album" which is really just all their Fan Club Christmas Records (5 minute Christmas messages sent on cheap discs to fan club members, collected for a record in 71 but never released beyond that). I'm a nut when it comes to the Beatles. Finest band that ever walked this Earth as far as I am concerned.

I think their earliest albums ("Please Please Me" and "With the Beatles") are solid pop-rock albums, but while I think they are a good listen, they weren't innovative yet.  "A Hard Day's Night" is the first album made up entirely of originals (all written by Lennon/McCartney) and features no covers.  You could start to see the seeds of innovation around the time of "Help!" but the really great innovations truly begin with "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver."  Like I said...big Beatles fan.  I discovered them in 1995 when I was like 7, and so I've been steeped in their history and whole archive since then!

Ah, so if I have a Beatles related question, I know whom to ask! :thumbup:

I too like the Beatles: They're like TOS, without them, everything that followed would have been virtually impossible. And many of their earworms are timeless, they still work just as well as they originally did. My older little one recently watched an animation show on Netflix called "Beat Bugs", where every episode features a Beatles cover. So I had some Beatles too, lately.

Back in the 90s, I was a huge grunge and especially "Nirvana" fan: I even joined tape trader circles and still have a huge collection of unofficial live recordings and bootlegs on my hard drive. So if you ever need rare Nirvana stuff for some reason, let me know. ;)

The Beatles are probably not my first choice when I feel like (rock) music, as I'm more into 70s and 90s hard rock... but because of their "godfather" status for everything rock, of course I am fond of them.

kenman   

Ah, so if I have a Beatles related question, I know whom to ask! :thumbup:

I too like the Beatles: They're like TOS, without them, everything that followed would have been virtually impossible. And many of their earworms are timeless, they still work just as well as they originally did. My older little one recently watched an animation show on Netflix called "Beat Bugs", where every episode features a Beatles cover. So I had some Beatles too, lately.

Back in the 90s, I was a huge grunge and especially "Nirvana" fan: I even joined tape trader circles and still have a huge collection of unofficial live recordings and bootlegs on my hard drive. So if you ever need rare Nirvana stuff for some reason, let me know. ;)

The Beatles are probably not my first choice when I feel like (rock) music, as I'm more into 70s and 90s hard rock... but because of their "godfather" status for everything rock, of course I am fond of them.

If into 70s hard rock, late period Beatles has some gems that definitely laid the seeds for that. White Album, Let It Be, and Abbey Road have a lot of stuff that I think directly led to that genre.