Sim

What was the last piece of music you listened to?

238 posts in this topic

IIRC, there was this thread about "songs" already ... but I didn't find it in the search, and I'd like to include instrumental music and entire albums/discs too (if anybody is still listening to entire albums in this digital age), so here is this thread. :)

What's the last piece of music (song, album, disc, instrumental piece) you listened to?

I'm very much back into classical music these days (or, "obsessed with it"... yes, that's a better way to put it :P ).

Last night, I finally finished Wagner's "The Valkyrie" by reading the libretto of the 3rd and final act while listening to it. So yay, I have half the "Ring" behind me! Wagner is not likely becoming my favorite composer, but it's fascinating that the mythology there is easily accessible from a fantasy-LOTR-Thor point of view. ;)

Then I listened to Gustav Mahler's symphony no.2 "Resurrection" (Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Simon Rattle). I try to understand the claim that "Mahler did for symphonies what Wagner did for opera". And yep, it's indeed long and epic, and very emotional... but also less "Germanic". I remember a passage that sounded like folk, maybe even klezmer-like?

Today, I started with two late string quartets by Franz Schubert as a limbering-up exercize, followed by Mahler's symphony no.4 (Lorin Maazel with the Vienna Philharmonics) and Bruckner's symphony no.7 (Herbert von Karajan with the BPO).

I feel almost drunken due to all this late-romantics emotionalism ... so to top it off, I now started Tchaikovsky's symphony no.6. That should give me the rest. ;)

What about you? Any music on your radar at the moment?

"Lucille" by BB King.

My cathartic way of mourning his passing today... :(

Star Trek:11-09 end credits with headphone very loudly

"Lucille" by BB King.

My cathartic way of mourning his passing today... :(

I hadn't heard of him before I saw in the news he has passed away (at least not consciously -- his music seemed familiar to me). But I watched parts from a concert he gave on YouTube today. Great music.

Listened to a CD with piano works by Claude Debussy today, including his "préludes".

Holst, "Jupiter"

followed by John Barry's soundtrack for "Midnight Cowboy" (1969).

Again, my musical tastes are all over the map.

I have the Ds9 soundtrack collection. I was listening to all the versions of the opening and closing credits while drawing my attempt on the Defiant (may post it here later). It helps to get in the mood. :D

"Rainy Night in Georgia" by Brook Benton. Love this song....

Today, I listened to Robert Schumann's 3rd and 4th symphonies and the piano version of Johannes Brahms's "Hungarian Dances".

And some modern jazz: A compilation CD with 1956 recordings of John Coltrane.

90s rock: Listened to the Nirvana live album "Live at Reading 92". My daughter (15 months) loved it, she danced like crazy. :)

JOHNNY CASH WOULD BE HEADBANGING IN HIS GRAVE!!!!! :punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk::punk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwI-_kF4cYY

Edited by Anime Trekker

Listened to Gustav Mahler's 1st symphony (Rafael Kubelik conducts the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra Munich) and Thus Spake Zarathustra & Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks by Richard Strauss (Herbert von Karajan conducts the Berlin Philharmonics).

And some classic jazz: 1929-30 recordings of Luis Russell & Henry "Red" Allen.

Listening to the Kinks Greatest Hits. Baby girl is enjoying it.

Van Halen's self-titled first album. One of my favorite rock albums of all times. :)

And some 20th century "classical" music:

Hans Werner Henze's symphonies nos. 1, 5 and 6 (Henze himself conducts the Berlin Philharmonics) and Toru Takemitsu: Reqiem for Strings and November Steps (Hiroshi Wakasugi conducts the Tokyo Metropolitan SO).

From my favorite KISS album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfmrX_WlM2w

Keeping in with the tradition of me being a geek, the last piece of music I listened to is the full theme from Doctor Who Series 8....complete with the Middle Eight attached to it.

It sounds absolutely amazing in my opinion! :D

EDIT:

In fact, here it is:

Edited by Kieron J. Barr

Keeping in with the tradition of me being a geek, the last piece of music I listened to is the full theme from Doctor Who Series 8....complete with the Middle Eight attached to it.

EDIT:

In fact, here it is:

It's pretty cool indeed, IMO!

Just listened to some classic jazz: A CD with recordings of Luis Russell, Henry "Red" Allen & The Blues Singers from the 1920s.

EDIT:

In fact, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1obF1HlofQ

I had not heard the middle eight version of this incarnation of the tune until now. I like this mix, much more electronic than the previous Gold themes, though I tend to like something about each take on the theme.

Well unless you bought the Series 8 soundtrack, you would not have heard it. It was only released last week :)

More 20th century modern classical:

Orchestral works by Luigi Dallapiccola.

Stu Philips' theme to "Battlestar Galactica"; the 25th anniversary CD with the Los Angeles Philharmonic.

That Viper launch theme is perfect 'hitting the freeway' music... :punk: