Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

10 Years Without TV Trek

15 posts in this topic

Stardate: May 13, 2005. That’s the day, precisely ten years ago, that Star Trek as a generation of TV fans knew it drew to a close when the series finale of Star Trek: Enterprise aired at 8 p.m. on UPN. More than just marking the end to the four-season run of the series, that episode brought the curtain down on a remarkable 19-year run for the franchise that started in 1987 with the launch of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It also initiated what can be considered Trek’s lost decade, at least in regards to television — ten years without a single new series on the air.

So lets salute a decade without Star Trek on TV !

Gus

^^^

Barf. Episode. Terrible.

That episode was a very poor ending to almost 19 years of Star Trek on tv.

Hope it won't be another 10 years before it comes back with a new series...

I never thought about it...but that is probably why the episode being so horrible hit so much harder. It wasn't just the end of ENT. It was the end of the TNG-era spin offs (on t.v.) that had been going strong for so long.

Stardate: May 13, 2005. That’s the day, precisely ten years ago, that Star Trek as a generation of TV fans knew it drew to a close when the series finale of Star Trek: Enterprise aired at 8 p.m. on UPN. More than just marking the end to the four-season run of the series, that episode brought the curtain down on a remarkable 19-year run for the franchise that started in 1987 with the launch of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It also initiated what can be considered Trek’s lost decade, at least in regards to television — ten years without a single new series on the air.

So lets salute a decade without Star Trek on TV !

Gus

Wrong salute, Gus... :P

When it comes to that particular episode ("These Are The Voyages"), I have another salute... :giggle:

NSFW!!

aa9bd5f87108b0836a4b21085fa064ac.jpg

^^^

Pretty much that.

"Valentine," my backside.

This episode had a clumsy framing device and an unnecessary heroes death for Trip. Death doesn't knock first though, right? I don't know what Riker thought he would learn by watching this holodeck program. I'm not emotionally attached to Enterprise, so this crappy episode doesn't offend me as much as it does for others here.

I never thought about it...but that is probably why the episode being so horrible hit so much harder. It wasn't just the end of ENT. It was the end of the TNG-era spin offs (on t.v.) that had been going strong for so long.

That's what bothers me about it most. Had this episode been in the middle of the season, or if there had been a 5th season, I would say this episode wasn't among the worst. Mediocre perhaps, but tolerable.

But as the final point of not just ENT, but all post-TOS series', it was just a huge disappointment.

That's what bothers me about it most. Had this episode been in the middle of the season, or if there had been a 5th season, I would say this episode wasn't among the worst. Mediocre perhaps, but tolerable.

But as the final point of not just ENT, but all post-TOS series', it was just a huge disappointment.

If this episode had been in the middle of the year Trips death might have had some meaning. They could have spent time mourning his death, It could have been in the background of the show. They would have had to get used to a new engineer, etc.

As it was, it was a meaningless throw in making the final Star Trek episode for a long time much much worse than it should have been.

That's how I feel too. If I recall correctly, I didn't really pay attention again in the original run until 'Into a mirror, darkly' and I must have missed the next two but I caught the finale. As a TNG fan, I didn't mind seeing Riker and Troi again even if they weren't my favorite TNG characters. At the time I didn't really give a rip about Enterprise so I wasn't concerned what they did with the characters. I've watched most of S4 recently, and it was markedly better than previous seasons. If only they had found their footing earlier on, they might have gotten a renewal and I might have cared at the time. As it stands, I think I was a little too harsh on this show if S4 was a predictor of the show's potential. Unfortunately, I think it's due to the cancellation and the writers knowing through most of the season that this would be it, that they were able to do what they liked and shake off the creative shackles imposed by the studio.

Edited by Hammer

Agreed, Hammer. I also saw the fourth season episodes recently and thought that this was really good and Manny Coto was agreat writer/producer.

Gus

The shows that I really like tend to have one pattern. Pick a talented show runner, give them a budget, deadline and guidelines and let them go make a show. Don't get involved unless you have to. The one thing that messes up shows the most is management by committee when most of the members of the committee have no real idea what the show is about. The first three Star Trek series were like that more or less. Voyager had some interference and Enterprise had a lot of interference by outsiders.

It was not a Valentine. It was a Dear John letter.

If they were going to add TNG in there, where it didn't really work (and we told them that on the TW board) I would have made the TNG part set on the Titan, to avoid shoehorning it into the hour long finale, and made it 2 parts, and had it end with them realizing the Trip's death part didn't happen. It was Barclay messing with the program. Also there would be the full speech and whatnot.

Back in 2012 I even produced a Valentine to the fans, on Valentine's Day. The production of the fan film is slow going but when it is closer to done there will be more on the appropriate forum. I just thought to include the valentine here since you mentioned it about Enterprise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMRr9D_PyoM

Edited by Chimera82405

I think "Demons" and "Terra Prime" were already the love letter; and it was (to me) a perfectly serviceable 'final episode.'

In my head canon, they are the ENT finale.

they are. They're actually GOOD, every one of the characters gets a moment. They really should have dropped TATV in before it and went out on "Demons/"Terra Prime instead. No one would even still be talking about TATV. It's that forgettable.