maneth

Which doctor's patient would you rather be?

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Bashir's.

He's the most intelligent of the bunch (save for the EMH, perhaps; but Bashir is infinitely more compassionate). He's also open-minded, and he's not an irascible racist either (sorry Bones, but it's true...).

I know a lot of middle-aged old farts like me generally don't trust younger doctors, but I don't mind any doctor as long as he/she knows their stuff. Age is irrelevant.

Pulaski would be my runner up because I like her personally; she's tough, frank, but understanding.

Bashir gets my vote too. I like his charm and bedside manner.

And as we see in various episodes, he's incredibly tenacious.

I suspect that even if I came in with a common cold, he'd isolate exactly which strain and cure it somehow. McCoy would probably just say, "Get some rest, quit whining, blah, blah, blah..."

I'm not saying I need to be pampered or specially treated, but I'd rather leave a 24th century doctor's visit feeling better than when I came in.

Which version of Bashir? The incorrigible, arrogant, can't stop talking about his successes in life-Bashir or the mature, accepted his flaws, out of the closet augment Bashir?

I'd prefer the latter over the former.

Same with the EM, the nicer season 7 one or the curmudgeon season 1 version?

McCoy seems the safest and nicest best. Phlox would put leeches on my body. :P

See, I'd go with Kate Pulaski. She's great company, with the wit and crustiness of McCoy, and the consummate professional. She was a far better doctor than Crusher, that's for sure. So, if I had to put it in a list, I'd go like this:

Bones for having a drink with.

Crusher for the view. ;)

Pulaski for saving my life.

Bashir for the bromance.

EMH for the intellectual conversations.

Phlox for... I dunno what.

I love Phlox; he was easily my favorite (and most personally relatable) character of ENT. But being his patient? I'm with Founder; no freaking leeches, please. I also don't want bat guano rubbed in my phaser wound, either. Just gimme a pill or a shot and I'll be on my way, thanks...

And good question about Bashir; for me? Definitely S5 Bashir; the out-of-the-closet Bashir, because he and I feel similarly about genetic engineering, I think.

* pulls up a soapbox * :soapbox:

I don't think it's criminal to improve upon flaws in the human genome any more than it is to wear corrective optics to help you see better. We've already messed with 'natural' humans when we developed technology and augmented our bodies with surgery or other 'unnatural' tampering. The idea that genetic engineering automatically creates aryan monsters who ruthlessly crave power is pure science fiction. It has NO basis in science whatsoever; anymore than saying a person born beautiful is automatically more of a jerk than an ugly person.

If you raised a genetically engineered child with love and adoration and a healthy respect for life? You get a Bashir. If you raise an augment solely for power and conquest and a belief in their own infallibility? You get a Khan Noonian Singh.

It's not the genetic engineering that makes a monster; it's the parenting....

--- end rant program--- :biggrin:

I don't think it matters much. Their gadgets do most of the diagnosing and all of them would likely have a cure for anything affecting a human in our century.

Phlox - if I want a doctor to use alien bloodsuckers and eels to cure me

Bones - if I want a doctor to joke around with, good bedside manner

Crusher - if I want to impose her 'advanced' morals on me

Pulaski - if I want a stubborn doctor who would have a personality clash with me

Bashir - if I want someone who has plenty of wartime triage experience

EMH - if i want someone to inject me with nanoprobes, also someone who might malfunction and take me hostage or something. At least there wouldn't be much chit-chat, just inject me Doctor and get it over with.

I love Phlox; he was easily my favorite (and most personally relatable) character of ENT. But being his patient? I'm with Founder; no freaking leeches, please. I also don't want bat guano rubbed in my phaser wound, either. Just gimme a pill or a shot and I'll be on my way, thanks...

And good question about Bashir; for me? Definitely S5 Bashir; the out-of-the-closet Bashir, because he and I feel similarly about genetic engineering, I think.

I don't think it's criminal to improve upon flaws in the human genome any more than it is to wear corrective optics to help you see better. We've already messed with 'natural' humans when we developed technology and augmented our bodies with surgery or other 'unnatural' tampering. The idea that genetic engineering automatically creates aryan monsters who ruthlessly crave power is pure science fiction. It has NO basis in science whatsoever; anymore than saying a person born beautiful is automatically more of a jerk than an ugly person.

If you raised a genetically engineered child with love and adoration and a healthy respect for life? You get a Bashir. If you raise an augment solely for power and conquest and a belief in their own infallibility? You get a Khan Noonian Singh.

Up to a point. At the risk of derailing my own thread... My worry about genetic modification of basically healthy children isn't the potential for making superhuman egotists with no compassion for the unmodified, but rather the wish of parents of making a custom child to suit their own purposes, rather than accepting the child who arrives as he or she is. The refusal to see the child as his or her own unique individual, in the wish of making a mini-mom or mini-dad. Or worse, to attempt to make, say, an athlete or musician to fulfill the failed dreams of the parents. I'm very passionate about the right of children to grow into their individual selves, to the point that I think calling a son by the father's name + junior is offensive.

That said, Jules Bashir was handicapped by the standards of his society. The fact that his parents chose to modify his intelligence, coordination etc. beyond human norms is a minor point. I doubt they would have taken the risks they did if their child had been "just" average in intelligence.

Up to a point. At the risk of derailing my own thread... My worry about genetic modification of basically healthy children isn't the potential for making superhuman egotists with no compassion for the unmodified, but rather the wish of parents of making a custom child to suit their own purposes, rather than accepting the child who arrives as he or she is. The refusal to see the child as his or her own unique individual, in the wish of making a mini-mom or mini-dad. Or worse, to attempt to make, say, an athlete or musician to fulfill the failed dreams of the parents. I'm very passionate about the right of children to grow into their individual selves, to the point that I think calling a son by the father's name + junior is offensive.

That said, Jules Bashir was handicapped by the standards of his society. The fact that his parents chose to modify his intelligence, coordination etc. beyond human norms is a minor point. I doubt they would have taken the risks they did if their child had been "just" average in intelligence.

Good point.

The only doctor I wouldn't want anywhere near me would be Crusher; she's borderline incompetent at times ("Keep her sedated" * she wakes up* "Don't let him out of your sight" * he disappears* etc. etc.), and I wouldn't want her to turn me (or my shipmates) into primates... :giggle:

I honestly can't decide. I'd be OK with McCoy, Pulaski, Bashir, the EMH or Phlox. Just not Crusher.

Don't blame you... :giggle:

genesis320.jpggenesis243.jpggenesis211.jpggenesis333.jpg

.... neither would they. :P

JulianBashir.jpg

HELL YEAH! BASHIR IS WINING! YEAAAH!

I'm jusr mad to see that Phlox haven't got any attention. C'mon! The guy cured assimilation before it was cool.

JulianBashir.jpg

HELL YEAH! BASHIR IS WINING! YEAAAH!

I'm jusr mad to see that Phlox haven't got any attention. C'mon! The guy cured assimilation before it was cool.

He's my third pick; or my photo-finish second (with Pulaski). I actually love Phlox; he's my favorite character of ENT, but I just don't want him to stick an eel on my butt to cure a rash...

Oh, I don't know. In some Western hospitals they're actually using maggots (fly larvae) to stop gangrene developing in infected wounds.

Oh, I don't know. In some Western hospitals they're actually using maggots (fly larvae) to stop gangrene developing in infected wounds.

disgusted014.gif