Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

Bakula says its not the time for a New Trek Series

TV is such a splintered audience these days, you think they worry about demographics old-stylee, like teens? The teens - or 'millennials' - are such a fractured group anyway, I enjoy them watching them give the marketeers serious headaches.

Sure, Doctor Who does indeed have a big teen following, especially in the US amongst females. Both Tennant and Smith appeal to a certain demographic within a much wider group, but what you're glimpsing is a far wider fan base, which includes lifelong fans and dedicated old farts like me and people from all walks of life all over the world. What they all have in common is intelligence and a sense of creativity that is fed by the show, which they in turn support. That's what it used to be like with Star Trek - still is, in some ways. Any new Star trek needs to connect again with its core support - intelligent, forward thinkers, not just the tentpole summer movie attendees.

Don't look at or try to appeal to a certain limited demographic, look at the potential appeal across all thinkers. If you build it (and I agree, it shouldn't be set in Trek's "past"), they will come. Don't look back, look forward!

kc1966   

TV is such a splintered audience these days, you think they worry about demographics old-stylee, like teens? The teens - or 'millennials' - are such a fractured group anyway, I enjoy them watching them give the marketeers serious headaches.

Sure, Doctor Who does indeed have a big teen following, especially in the US amongst females. Both Tennant and Smith appeal to a certain demographic within a much wider group, but what you're glimpsing is a far wider fan base, which includes lifelong fans and dedicated old farts like me and people from all walks of life all over the world. What they all have in common is intelligence and a sense of creativity that is fed by the show, which they in turn support. That's what it used to be like with Star Trek - still is, in some ways. Any new Star trek needs to connect again with its core support - intelligent, forward thinkers, not just the tentpole summer movie attendees.

Don't look at or try to appeal to a certain limited demographic, look at the potential appeal across all thinkers. If you build it (and I agree, it shouldn't be set in Trek's "past"), they will come. Don't look back, look forward!

I wish I felt that way but there is too much reality TV and reality type TV to credit the idea of appealing to an intelligent audience. All in all I have confidence that the suits will want to appeal to the widest, lowest common denominator.

Edited by kc1966

kc1966   

Teens aren't a monolithic audience. Different things are popular in different cities and towns. I'd bet it was Matt Smith that brought in the Dr Who fans, not because of his acting chops, but because teen girls find him attractive. I wonder if these teen fans stuck around for the last season, maybe Coleman was enough to hold their attention? That's how you bring teens in though; hire hot, rising actors. They would become Trek fans overnight. My 17 year old sister loves the new movies because she has a crush on Chris Pine. She thought 'Into Darkness' was awesome! Let that sink in...

Also, please no Enterprise B or C shows. I'll be upset if that's the idea they come up with after all this time. We need to get away from this prequel nonsense, it's so unoriginal. It's time to retire the TOS characters. I'd rather get away from basing it on any ship named Enterprise, but I'm sure they would cave and call it the Enterprise-G or something.

Actually most of the ones in my classes have stuck around for this season of Doctor. Who. As for the century, I actually prefer the ENT/TOS era to the TNG era. TNG Trek is too "perfect" and technologically driven. Of those shows only DS9 stand out for me because it was more frontier. But I don't think time matters. Character and story quality matter more than the era. There is a lot that could be done if a show was B or C to fill in a lot of gaps or create new "time lines" if you will. Rather it be a prequel era show with quality than a 26th century version of Voyager just to "go forward"

Edited by kc1966

Hammer   

The tech continuity is one major problem with going back to the TOS era. Things that the fans have already seen on screen will not have been invented yet, but to innovate the temptation is to introduce new tech with each series. The problem is, where is this technology in later (timeline-wise) series? Either they ignore that and screw up continuity, or they are shackled to the tech available in that era. I want to see mobile emitters, sentient androids, holodecks etc. I don't want to see communicators that are the size of early 1990's cell phones.

There's no reason a 25th or 26th century show will be a version of Voyager. TOS wasn't serialized either and damage wasn't cumulative from episode to episode. The big reset button was pushed for TOS every episode as well. It's about how the characters are handled, not the format of exploration or the name of the ship that is the problem.

Just my preference, but I have major TOS era fatigue. I also think that doing another show in the 24th century would be flogging a dead horse. I don't know why a future show should be confined to this galaxy, or why we should re-tell stories from the 'good ole days' of Kirk's era. The Klingons, Borg and Romulans had a good run, but it's time for new villains. The Milky Way should be a well tread backyard for future Trek and it's time to explore the local group of galaxies.

Just my preference, but I have major TOS era fatigue. I also think that doing another show in the 24th century would be flogging a dead horse. I don't know why a future show should be confined to this galaxy, or why we should re-tell stories from the 'good ole days' of Kirk's era. The Klingons, Borg and Romulans had a good run, but it's time for new villains. The Milky Way should be a well tread backyard for future Trek and it's time to explore the local group of galaxies.

^

This is a damn good idea.

A new mission to the Magellanic Clouds which orbit our own Milky Way galaxy. New territory, and by its very nature it assumes a new level of tech not yet achieved in the 24th century (as we saw it). The new show should be centuries after TNG; with transwarp perfected, the Galactic Barrier no longer a problem and the Federation (or some new version of it) setting up shop in the M. Clouds. New challenges, new races and new technology.

I would be very excited by this idea...

kc1966   

^

A new mission to the Magellanic Clouds which orbit our own Milky Way galaxy. New territory, and by its very nature it assumes a new level of tech not yet achieved in the 24th century (as we saw it). The new show should be centuries after TNG; with transwarp perfected, the Galactic Barrier no longer a problem and the Federation (or some new version of it) setting up shop in the M. Clouds. New challenges, new races and new technology.

Could even feature some of the "enemy" races as part of this new Federation. How about having Cardassians, Romulans, etc as members of the crew? Trek Galaxy under a UFP. I might be able to get into this because it would have the original wagon train to the stars concept - too far away for help. Wait - isn't this what Voyager was suppose to be? RATS!

Edited by kc1966

^

Could even feature some of the "enemy" races as part of this new Federation. How about having Cardassians, Romulans, etc as members of the crew? Trek Galaxy under a UFP. I might be able to get into this because it would have the original wagon train to the stars concept - too far away for help. Wait - isn't this what Voyager was suppose to be? RATS!

No, they wouldn't be lost in space; and they wouldn't be boring, cardboard archetypes either.... :laugh:

I also like your idea of folding former enemies into the the crew; Romulans, Cardassians, etc. That's been a ST tradition since 1967 when Chekov was added to the crew (the Soviet-era Russians were the Boris Badinoffs in those days...). Later continued with Worf, Quark and even to a lesser degree, Garak.

kc1966   

^

No, they wouldn't be lost in space; and they wouldn't be boring, cardboard archetypes either.... :laugh:

I also like your idea of folding former enemies into the the crew; Romulans, Cardassians, etc. That's been a ST tradition since 1967 when Chekov was added to the crew (the Soviet-era Russians were the Boris Badinoffs in those days...). Later continued with Worf, Quark and even to a lesser degree, Garak.

GOOD!

^

GOOD!

I could go for all of this. :)