Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sehlat Vie

Star Wars Celebration 2015 Photos...

16 posts in this topic

Just got back from our one-day at Star Wars' Celebration 2015 in Anaheim (right next to Disneyland!).
Had a lot of fun; saw Kenny Baker (R2D2) and met/got an autograph from Billy Dee Williams (!).

Anyway, I'm kind of pooped (and sore) right now, so I'll just let the pictures do the talking; if you click on the Flickr link and move your cursor over the pics? Captions should appear.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18703657@N03/sets/72157649710019904

May the Force be with you!

Just got back from our one-day at Star Wars' Celebration 2015 in Anaheim (right next to Disneyland!).

Had a lot of fun; saw Kenny Baker (R2D2) and met/got an autograph from Billy Dee Williams (!).

Anyway, I'm kind of pooped (and sore) right now, so I'll just let the pictures do the talking; if you click on the Flickr link and move your cursor over the pics? Captions should appear.

I liked the Darth Vader varient at the beginning and also the Star Wars cosplayers holding those signs. Some of them were pretty hilarious.

I liked the Darth Vader varient at the beginning and also the Star Wars cosplayers holding those signs. Some of them were pretty hilarious.

It was funny to watch all of that attention the fundamentalist protesters were getting suddenly shift over to the Star Wars cosplayers playfully mocking them! It was a much deserved taste of their own medicine, IMO...

It was funny to watch all of that attention the fundamentalist protesters were getting suddenly shift over to the Star Wars cosplayers playfully mocking them! It was a much deserved taste of their own medicine, IMO...

lol true. :laugh: It's amazing how uptight people get when they see others having any fun.

lol true. :laugh: It's amazing how uptight people get when they see others having any fun.

At least they weren't belligerent this time, as they were at WonderCon when they were yelling at us, and making fun of us. The younger ones generally don't do that; usually you'll catch them staring at some of the attractive cosplaying girls too. But the older ones (the ones who were at WonderCon) were just mean old f--kers. They called us "nerds" saying that "this is how (we) spend our Saturdays" and how we'd be "useless" in a fight, and how we're all going to hell, etc. etc.

But today, some of the Star Wars cosplayers took the piss right out of them by mocking THEM. I laughed out loud. A couple of people even applauded them too...

Great photos as usual. Some of the costumes made me laugh, and I think making the religious zealots look silly in the eyes of the public is the only way of dealing with them.

Great photos as usual. Some of the costumes made me laugh, and I think making the religious zealots look silly in the eyes of the public is the only way of dealing with them.

To everybody there they were just a sad pathetic joke. But on the plus side? At least they weren't as belligerent as the mean old farts who protested against us at WonderCon...

5ee798f79e6cfe5618ddc1c4d1a87c56.jpg0a155fc0250b0229425ec30e5ec88149.jpg

This event, I don't really have a lot of personal celebrity encounter-anecdotes, since I didn't really meet as many celebrities as I usually do at these kinds of things. But I had a phenomenal time just photographing the costumes, the dioramas, the props, the 'atmosphere' of it all. I did meet Billy Dee Williams, but we didn't really get a chance to chat. Told him that I also enjoyed his performance in "Brian's Song." Also saw a few others, including Kenny Baker (R2) who (sadly) was in a motorized wheelchair; my wife and I passed him in a hallway on our way to breakfast. But he was a trouper; signing autographs for hours. I'd previously met Baker, Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) and David Prowse (Darth Vader) at various Comic Cons over the years, so autographs weren't as big a priority for me at this con. I also saw that the Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher autographs were prohibitively expensive so I didn't try.

e784806c32eb4d616375cc8b31d3ec19.jpgab1440db76ce7373e4236663b5a876a5.jpg

But my wife participated in two Star Wars 'thumb war' tournaments (she's double-jointed, so it was a bit of a hustle on her part... though she did let a kid win, because well, she's sweet that way). I went to a panel on the 40 year (!) history of ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) the multiple Oscar-winning FX company formed to handle the FX chores on the original Star Wars and has since revolutionized the industry. Up to, and including the current digital age, along with the formation of Pixar. FX artist/supervisor John Knoll ("Phantom Menace" and many others) gave the talk. Fascinating stuff.
66c0b0c8e23fd7d3351697368ca1adc8.jpgae6527a803380561c3fd3758411c4055.jpg
The ILM panel was also the only panel I attended. Again, I tried to get in the queue for the 6 pm. Mark Hamill event, but the line had already formed at 2 pm, and by then my arthritis was killing me, and there was no way I was going to stand still in one line for 4 hours with a throbbing hip, so I left the line. It felt kind of stupid just standing there for one panel event when there was just SO MUCH going on all around me...
10821d4c2a0a116be80f6c4c1d2a67c6.jpgcb1da0bf7742347e632add36c3da55ef.jpg
But that aside, I had a wonderful time just taking in the cosplay, and the amazing displays; including a giant, half-scale Imperial Walker (took a few shots of that).
a961d7ec757d60bd613198aa3f5a50bc.jpg0c86d811158ee88282f6547516ab483e.jpg

Blown away by all the full-size props and miniatures.

Think my fave might be the alternative Darth Vader. I always loved seeing the other designs for Vader's suit before the settled on the final version. (I have several toys of alternative versions too. I used to collect Darth Vader toys - looks like I may be taking up that hobby again...)

Though I am feeling true love for that Lego Tie Fighter!

Noticed a 78-style Battlestar in one of those pics - was that the ILM talk?

Think my fave might be the alternative Darth Vader. I always loved seeing the other designs for Vader's suit before the settled on the final version. (I have several toys of alternative versions too. I used to collect Darth Vader toys - looks like I may be taking up that hobby again...)

Yes, it was.

d772c1a45acb7ae8bdc358e0b2002211.jpg

It was during the ILM 40th anniversary panel.

John Knoll (ILM FX supervisor on many films) was talking about how John Dykstra was one of the first to break away from the ILM pack and form his own company "Apogee" (which worked on TOS BSG).

Yes, it was.

John Knoll (ILM FX supervisor on many films) was talking about how John Dykstra was one of the first to break away from the ILM pack and form his own company "Apogee" (which worked on TOS BSG).

I remember Apogee. They did FX for movies like Firefox. I recall Mark Hamill (with some humor) calling Dykstra a "traitor" for not being involved in The Empire Strikes Back!

Yes, it was.

I remember Apogee. They did FX for movies like Firefox. I recall Mark Hamill (with some humor) calling Dykstra a "traitor" for not being involved in The Empire Strikes Back!

I prefer to think that Dykstra was just making room for the even more talented Brian Johnson (Space:1999 veteran).... :giggle:

Great pics, Sehlat. Thanks for sharing.

Some funny ones too.

Was Mr. Williams nice? I know you didn't get to talk to him much, though.

Great pics, Sehlat. Thanks for sharing.

Some funny ones too.

Was Mr. Williams nice? I know you didn't get to talk to him much, though.

You're (all) welcome. It's no fun if I can't share, IMO.

He seemed OK; not rude or mean, but he was clearly a bit tired; he'd been autographing for several hours by the time my big geek ass showed up... :laugh:

I kind of wish that I'd caught him earlier in the day (I usually have better greet/meets earlier; when the autographers are less worn out). But he was gentlemanly enough.

I prefer to think that Dykstra was just making room for the even more talented Brian Johnson (Space:1999 veteran).... :giggle:

One of my SFX heroes! I always wondered what happened to him, as he seemed to vanish from view for many years. There's a gap in his IMDB page from the nineties 'til now - he has a new credit for something appearing in 2015...

One of my SFX heroes! I always wondered what happened to him, as he seemed to vanish from view for many years. There's a gap in his IMDB page from the nineties 'til now - he has a new credit for something appearing in 2015...

He was one of my FX heroes too!

He probably spent that gap period basking in his own awesomeness.... :thumbup::punk:

The protestors appeared at FanimaeCon in San Jose one year, I think 2012, and they were holding the repent signs and acting like fools. They made real religious people look bad. A guy in a Devil costume then told them off when they said he was going to Hell, and he said, yeah, I recognize you guys from there (from Hell) from last week. Lol.

Some of those props look like the ones from the Star Wars Tour in SJ from 2014 at the Tech. :)

Billy Dee Williams showed up at Time Tunnel Super Toy Show in SJ some years ago where this weird fan wanted him to plug his CPA business and write on his picture about being an awesome CPA (which is insane as Billy did not know him) and he spelled his name wrong, but he was like, I'm not signing it twice! Ha.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0