Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Founder

Should Enterprise be given another chance?

71 posts in this topic

But you know I sometimes get tired on the ongoing story line the way it is executed in the States. DS9 did it best in my opinion. Have the overall arc but have plenty of stand alone episodes that have little or nothing to do with it as well. I hate missing an episode and some major development occurred.

Very fair point. I agree. DS9 struck the right balance.

I agree as well; sometimes when watching some of my favorite new shows such as Mad Men or Walking Dead, the 'previously on...' segments take up so much time they almost constitute a single act of the show (!).

I think there's a balance to be had. DS9 did arc-storytelling brilliantly. Enterprise's 3rd season attempt was maybe less successful (but perhaps I feel that way just because I didn't really like the whole weapons-off-mass-destruction idea). The small arcs it did in its 4th season worked very well. A mix of a longer arc and standalones certainly works well for shows that run for about 22 episodes a year - I prefer that - but if you want depth and detail plus standalones, that's more difficult in 12-episode seasons which is the HBO model a lot of high-end subscriber channels offer. Arcs work better in that format. That said, even mainstream shows like The Good Wife now have season-long arcs. It's a trend, but not one I see ending anytime soon. Audiences are sophisticated and viewing habits have changed. People binge watch now, they expect a story to unfold episode by episode, and for it to build to a climax at the end of season.

True.

Like I've said before; TV is the marriage, movies are the flashy one-night stand. Sometimes it's more rewarding to wake up and share coffee and breakfast with characters rather than just a phone number left on the dresser saying 'call me when you want a sequel.'

True.

Like I've said before; TV is the marriage, movies are the flashy one-night stand. Sometimes it's more rewarding to wake up and share coffee and breakfast with characters rather than just a phone number left on the dresser saying 'call me when you want a sequel.'

Heh. You would make a great TV critic.

"Doctor Who" has this kind of balance too. At only 12-13 episodes per season, it has several on-its-own episodes, but all of them continue a larger character arc. This apparently works well (and maybe it's one of the reasons I like NuWho so much).

That said, maybe the "one mission per season" approach is even a better idea for a new ST series.

"Doctor Who" has this kind of balance too. At only 12-13 episodes per season, it has several on-its-own episodes, but all of them continue a larger character arc. This apparently works well (and maybe it's one of the reasons I like NuWho so much).

That said, maybe the "one mission per season" approach is even a better idea for a new ST series.

That's very true. Before last season, I might've argued that a reason for that is that Doctor Who really only has a regular cast of two (if he happens to have one companion, anyway). But they worked in recurring characters into Capaldi's first season so well you got the sense that it was a larger regular cast. But maybe that would work on a large space vessel too..?

I think one mission per season can end up feeling like it's running long. Two missions in a 13 episode season sounds about right to me.

I was thinking something like that - structurally, it'd be good to get away from one single objective for the season. What would thread through it would be the character stuff, so even if they had a mission, a space anomaly (ye gods, not those again) and an architectural find that all somehow came together for the finale, it could all feel satisfyingly bound together. The binding being the character development as much as the backdrop of it being, in spite of such revolutionary new storytelling methods, recognizably Star Trek. Star Trek for the 21st century.

I was thinking of something like that when I mentioned arc stories aren't done as well in the States. Seems like the BBC gets it with DS9 being the best US attempt, IMO.

True.

Flatterer.... :P

True.

You sure that's a compliment?

True.

He knows what I mean.

True.

He knows what I mean.

I do indeed. ;)

Episodic would not work anymore...

I don't know... I think like others have said, a balance between episodic and serialization could work, much as it has had big success with Doctor Who. It is still mostly episodic, but it has running threads that pay off atthe end of each season. It's just about finding a new modern balance.

I don't know... I think like others have said, a balance between episodic and serialization could work, much as it has had big success with Doctor Who. It is still mostly episodic, but it has running threads that pay off atthe end of each season. It's just about finding a new modern balance.

My only concern with that is it might turn into TNG redux. I haven't seen Doctor Who, so I can't really say otherwise.

I just feel that in this day and age, why is serialization so hard to keep up with? But yes, a mixture of the two ala DS9 could probably work. I guess I just wanted to see Trek taken in a different direction.

My only concern with that is it might turn into TNG redux. I haven't seen Doctor Who, so I can't really say otherwise.

I just feel that in this day and age, why is serialization so hard to keep up with? But yes, a mixture of the two ala DS9 could probably work. I guess I just wanted to see Trek taken in a different direction.

I'd happily take a new direction and a more serialized Trek. But I do think that a mixture could work just as well.

I'd happily take a new direction and a more serialized Trek. But I do think that a mixture could work just as well.

Actually DS9 was kind of a nice prototype of the current model of serialized television; which only became trendier in the 2000s (further proof that DS9 was just ahead of its time).

One word - time. If every episode is connected then if you record one you can't watch the others without first watching that one. It can become a death spiral

I love serialized shows, but if done well, the occasional stand-alone episode can be great for character development. I think both DS9 and B5 were great in this regard.

That said, I'd love to see a Trek show done as a sequence of miniseries (say six 90-minute episodes per season) with a main story arc that is resolved at the end of each season.

One word - time. If every episode is connected then if you record one you can't watch the others without first watching that one. It can become a death spiral

Is that still an issue in this age, though?

I love serialized shows, but if done well, the occasional stand-alone episode can be great for character development. I think both DS9 and B5 were great in this regard.

That said, I'd love to see a Trek show done as a sequence of miniseries (say six 90-minute episodes per season) with a main story arc that is resolved at the end of each season.

Agreed. I think a small miniseries would be a good way of trying to see if it is possible to bring Trek back into television without committing too much.

Is that still an issue in this age, though?

Less so than even five years ago. People even on their DVRs position themselves to binge.