Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Founder

Should Enterprise be given another chance?

71 posts in this topic

My gods, no.

Let it go, NX-ers. It's been 10 years. I'm sorry your series finale stunk and you didn't get the full 7 years you expected, but enough is enough.

If Star Trek is going to return to TV, it needs to do so from a whole new and fresh place.

I love the 24th century, but I know there is no more to be done in it either.

Trek needs to go forward again. 25th century or further. We can't wallow in what was.

The only way to unite everybody and have people from TOS purists in their retired years to 24th century fans ranging 30s to mid-life and NXers and Abrams folks in theirs teens and 20s is to start from new. New crew, new ship, new premise, new time.

21st century Trek has made the mistake of looking backwards for 15 years, and though Abrams trek helped bring in young blood, it hasn't done much else.

Time to boldly go where no one has gone before again. Not where we've been once or twice already. ;)

25th century or further. We can't wallow in what was.

I'm not sure I want to go ahead either...unless the Federation is somehow atrophied or indelibly changed and is put in a position to have to push outward again. That frontier spirit is gone. The Federation of the end of Nemesis is a generation or two removed has flipping timeships for God's sake. The ships that aren't timeships are basically self-modifying. Press a few buttons and virtually any part of the ship can be "bypassed" to do something else. What can't the main deflector be made to do?

I have this vision that the 26th or 27th century show, somewhere in it's 5th season is going to have an arc where Humans start evolving into non-corporeal entities just because it's time. Even Julian Bashir just sort of...whipped up a Positronic brain for Bariel

The technology is sucking the adventure out of Star Trek. Say what you will about Abrams. Say that it's an iBridge and that Engineering is fugly and overly industrial, but the ship looks like a machine. It looks like a machine that people have to work in, that breaks down, and, isn't by itself virtually omnipotent.

The article isn't calling for the resurrection of Enterprise. I think we all know that isn't happening. Everyone has long since moved on. What it is calling for is a reappraisal and on that ground it's right to do so. ENT ended on a high note (4th season overall) and despite it's more obvious and cataclysmic failures like "These are the Voyages," which I consider so different from both its TNG and ENT source material to be apocryphal, and "A Night in Sickbay" which is right down there with the absolute worst of Trek, it is better than I remembered in many respects.

Love or hate the Xindi arc, the show tried something that hadn't been done in Trek before, and it found a sense of the crew as a family in the great unknown that none of the other modern incarnations managed in 21 seasons. (And DS9 is the absolute apex of creative artistry in the franchise.)

The Federation needs to all but die and start over...or put a scouting vessel at the edge of Andromeda with only a few scant outposts. The adventure has to come back. That sense that this crew is actually risking something rather than reclining in the seats of their casual bridge/doctor's waiting room while someone hits some keys to funnel the power form the warp nacelles through the secondary coupling so they can use the extra load to tap the EPS grid and send an anti-nuecleonic beam out to destroy the technobabble nodes blocking the ship has to return or else there's no point.

By the 24th, humans are demigods and that has to end.

While I would've (or still would) love(d) to see ENT get a Romulan Wars miniseries (even direct-to-DVD, like the Stargate sequel), I agree with other opinions here that the ENT ship has sailed.

Scott Bakula is moving onto other things. And frankly, Berman-era ST (for all of it's pluses and minuses) just doesn't fit modern television dynamics anymore. While I still personally enjoy it, and there is much in ENT to appreciate, the television landscape just isn't the same. Times and tastes change. Although I would love to see televised ST return, I think it's best if ST return in a new series with new characters, rather than trying to breathe life into and reanimate a dead carcass.

Roddenberry had the right approach when he brought ST back to television back in '87 but didn't try to recreate Kirk, Spock and Bones. He had the wisdom to recognize an opportunity to do something new....

While I would've (or still would) love(d) to see ENT get a Romulan Wars miniseries (even direct-to-DVD, like the Stargate sequel), I agree with other opinions here that the ENT ship has sailed.

At least "The Rise of the Federation book series is good enough to constitute the 5th season and beyond.

As much as I would have loved to see more ENT after the amazing 4th season, I too feel that should Trek come back to tv, it should be radically new. It should be a fresh new start suited to attract a whole new generation, like TNG once in the late 80s.

That said, I wouldn't mind one or another special ENT tv movie, or maybe a miniseries. But the future of Trek on tv shouldn't rely on it, that wouldn't be wise. It wouldn't be the step forward we need.

That said, I wouldn't mind one or another special ENT tv movie, or maybe a miniseries. But the future of Trek on tv shouldn't rely on it, that wouldn't be wise.

I think you could get everyone on board for that, especially since they all so despised "These are the Voyages."

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of 4 - 8 hour miniseries or direct to DVD movies about the Romulan Wars and the founding of the Federation. It could even dove tail into the finale These are the Voyages.(whether you like it or not). But not a series - and this despite Enterprise being my second favorite Trek series behind TOS.

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of 4 - 8 hour miniseries or direct to DVD movies about the Romulan Wars and the founding of the Federation. It could even dove tail into the finale These are the Voyages.(whether you like it or not). But not a series - and this despite Enterprise being my second favorite Trek series behind TOS.

Me, too.

It might be a bit prohibitive to rebuild all of those sets just for a miniseries, but if it could happen? I'd love to see it...

Me, too.

It might be a bit prohibitive to rebuild all of those sets just for a miniseries, but if it could happen? I'd love to see it...

They'd probably CGI everything...but I'd still like to see it.

Me, too.

They'd probably CGI everything...but I'd still like to see it.

If that were the only way, I'd say sure....

To quote a long passed doctor; 'It's dead, Jim.'

Going backwards and rebooting has twice been a big mistake IMO, Trek in so many ways is stuck in the past now, it needs to move on, or carry on coughing up blood and dying in the corner like it seems to be doing now.

To quote a long passed doctor; 'It's dead, Jim.'

Going backwards and rebooting has twice been a big mistake IMO, Trek in so many ways is stuck in the past now, it needs to move on, or carry on coughing up blood and dying in the corner like it seems to be doing now.

^

This is why I've missed you, Starblind.

nph-highest-of-5s.gif

I too, believe ST is best when looking forward not backward. Sure, I'd like to see ENT get a nice two hour movie or something, but for a full series return? Not a chance. ST has to be about moving forward. Roddenberry clearly understood that when he brought ST back to television in 1987.

No more prequels please, and I'm not interested in watching an Earth-Romulan war in which there is no face-to-face contact. What is that going to be, a bunch of ship combat sfx? Enterprise wasn't a victim of circumstance, it was just a weak show. Also, stop trotting out and rebooting TOS characters, it's just watering down a classic. At the very least, go to the 25th century if not further. I like the Andromeda Galaxy idea, explore the local group of galaxies.

Recently, I've reassessed Enterprise and found I've enjoyed a hell of a lot of it. Taken on its own terms, it's a fun and involving show with good characters. In my book, it's in a reasonable fourth place, some way above Voyager. If it had been allowed to live out its natural lifetime, I think it would've gone from strength to strength. But it wasn't, and regrettable though I find that - especially the way it ended, with perhaps the worst episode to end any Trek show (yeah, I think I'd rather watch Turnabout Intruder) - I'm not sure resurrecting it would be a good idea.

Sure, I'd watch it - welcome it, even. Seems like many of us are hedging our bets on this thread. But I wouldn't want to muddy the waters. I'd like new Trek - a new angle, a fresh perspective. If it was a choice, I'd take a new show over a resurrected one, anytime. Boldly go, and all that.

Now I actually quite liked Enterprise. Granted, as is general consensus, the first couple of years weren't great, but I still liked them. Seasons 3 and 4 were much better, however.

That being said. There is a reason why Doctor Who has been so successful and still going strong in it's 52nd year.....it goes FORWARD (putting aside the whole time-travel aspect). So yes, I agree that any new Trek needs to go forward in order to prosper....and not go back.

Now I actually quite liked Enterprise. Granted, as is general consensus, the first couple of years weren't great, but I still liked them. Seasons 3 and 4 were much better, however.

That being said. There is a reason why Doctor Who has been so successful and still going strong in it's 52nd year.....it goes FORWARD (putting aside the whole time-travel aspect). So yes, I agree that any new Trek needs to go forward in order to prosper....and not go back.

Except for TOS where many of its stronger episodes were in the first season it seems Trek shows starts off slow. TNG and DS9's first seasons were in many respects weak. I too would like a new show "going forward" but I still wouldn't mind an ENT that ends the show better than TATV

Even when DW occasionally waxes nostalgic ("Day of the Doctor" "School Reunion" "Remembrance of the Daleks") you never see a rehashed storyline or an all-out remake. Part of that may also be DW's more flexible format; the Doctor isn't a ship captain of some TARDIS 'time-fleet' operating on orders from Gallifrey High Command; he's a runaway taking ordinary people on extraordinary adventures. There's something very 'backyard exciting' about that; the Doctor's companions aren't top-of-their-class graduates of the academy; they're shop girls, teachers, delinquents, or even brides-to-be. His adventures bring out the extraordinary in ordinary people.

ST is a bit more "American" in its structure (gunboat diplomacy spread across the 'wild frontier' of the universe), but the potential for great stories is still there; even if the format is a bit more regimented.

Even when DW occasionally waxes nostalgic ("Day of the Doctor" "School Reunion" "Remembrance of the Daleks") you never see a rehashed storyline or an all-out remake. Part of that may also be DW's more flexible format; the Doctor isn't a ship captain of some TARDIS 'time-fleet' operating on orders from Gallifrey High Command; he's a runaway taking ordinary people on extraordinary adventures. There's something very 'backyard exciting' about that; the Doctor's companions aren't top-of-their-class graduates of the academy; they're shop girls, teachers, delinquents, or even brides-to-be. His adventures bring out the extraordinary in ordinary people.

ST is a bit more "American" in its structure (gunboat diplomacy spread across the 'wild frontier' of the universe), but the potential for great stories is still there; even if the format is a bit more regimented.

"Doctor Who" is going forward by its very concept, it's in its core DNA -- simply because the main character is not tied to a particular actor, and the companions are replacable. This alone is a fail-safe security measure against it easily becoming stale by repeating itself, even if they tried. This very structure forces the producers/authors to reinvent the show with every new Doctor.

Star Trek has created iconic roles and actors closely connected to these roles -- Kirk and Spock, most of all. Shatner and Nimoy ARE Kirk and Spock. A recasting may be good, but no matter how well they do it, the new actors will never reach this iconic status and always be compared to the "originals".

I want Star Trek not to recast iconic roles, which in the end will always just be an attempt to capitalize on the greatness that once was, to milk it as long as the cow isn't dead yet. I want Star Trek to be bold enough to invent new roles, which maybe one day will be just as iconic.

Edited by Sim

I would like to see a series of mini-series with a more-complete order given to the most popular concept.

Theres a mistake, Broken Bow aired in 2001 not 2000. Also, it didn't point out alot of it was re-written rejects of Voyager. There was a few episode of Enterprise I liked, the majority didn't like. For starters why make a pre-TOS era show and make it more advanced looking? Didn't they even try? The named the ship Enterprise, why not call it Yorktown or even Cochrane? Even though the characters are not real, but its made most of them liars for example the first contact with Klingons, encounters with Ferengi and Borg. I think the problem lies in a half throught through rush job. Bermand Braga knew after season 7 of Voyager, it'll wrap up for good. T'Pol look like Seven of Nine, I found Tucker to be a prat. pholox was a mix of Neelix and the Doctor. Tomhey tried too hard. Even Nemeis seemed to rushed. Forgive me, but if a new show comes along make it more in the light of Trek.

For starters why make a pre-TOS era show and make it more advanced looking?

Because they had to. They literally had to. Watch "Where No Man Has Gone Before." Watch TOS at all. It's been peppered throughout the site is the idea that both pilots have a steampunk vibe and I think that's very apt. TOS? Thick plastic buttons and colored wood that serves as data discs. On and on. The design is quaint today. You like it and want it because it's familiar and it's part of lore for you.

People watching today would have laughed at it.

And they named it Enterprise because that's one of the biggest stables in the lore.

The look was retconned back to TOS-style in the novels, and I like the reason why.

As for the ship name....all the NX Class vessels were named after the Space Shuttle fleet.

The look was retconned back to TOS-style in the novels, and I like the reason why.

Me, too. The "Battlestar Galactica" deliberate low-tech approach.... it explained a lot.

No more rehashes please. Trek needs to reinvent itself from the ground up if it intends to continue as a franchise.