Auctor-Lucan

Star Trek: Theurgy Group RP

10 posts in this topic

theurgy_poster_by_auctor_lucan-d8u6iv0.j

Click Image For Full Size

This Holodeck being the place for it, I will post a thread with info for anyone interested in joining the simm that I am moderating at House of Eros. Please don't reply to this thread with your interest since that might lead to clutter when I post new info here too. It is better to contact me over PM here (or at House of Eros if you decide to join there). Feedback and suggestions for improvement are also welcome over PM.

Star Trek: Theurgy is a well-established Play-by-Forum RP, and also a part of the House of Eros online community. This Star Trek Group RP has 14 active players and it is but one of hundreds of role-playing opportunities presented at the House of Eros. Link: http://houseeros.com/roleplay-role-playing-forum/. So, in order to join the Star Trek: Theurgy group, you will have to join the House of Eros community.

The House of Eros is an adult community, and while the Star Trek: Theurgy RP is extremely storydriven, it should be mentioned that it is still rated 18+ and has sexual content. The House of Eros site as been submitted as ‘Explicity for Adults’ to various rating groups, in the interests of protecting minors from its various sexual and mature content. The site is intended for online roleplay and erotic web fiction. You must be 18 or older to be a member. If we find anyone who is younger than that, it will result in an immediate ban. Please see site rules for further information: http://houseeros.com/roleplay-role-playing-forum/index.php?topic=12680.0

This role-play group and the promotional trailer functions solely as a non-profit entertainment for writers where no economical gain is perceived by any of its members as a result of the available media. Star Trek, Star Trek: The Original Series, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager, Star Trek: Enterprise, the Star Trek movies, etc. are © Copyright Paramount Pictures or CBS Studios inc.

See the USS Theurgy Group Recruitment Promotional Trailer

Link to the main board:

http://houseeros.com/roleplay-role-playing-forum/index.php?board=116.0

DeviantArt account: http://auctor-lucan.deviantart.com

Tumblr account: http://auctorlucan.tumblr.com/

Please browse this thread and see the latest info at the bottom.

Edited by Auctor-Lucan

HOW TO ENTER THE STORY

Are you interested in joining? My recommendation for a character at this point in time, if you want to take the easy route, is to make a character that enters the story via the USS Resolve or Starbase 84, since then you will not have to bother keeping track of what has happened earlier in the Star Trek: Theurgy story, and instead begin from a clean slate in this thread:

EPISODE 04: SIMULCAST | PROLOGUE: HOMECOMING
http://houseeros.com/roleplay-role-playing-forum/index.php?topic=53593.0

There, you'll get introduced to the situation on SB84 and the USS Resolve well before the USS Theurgy comes along. I also recommend that you peruse the biographies of the characters in that thread, which can be found here (just click the names):

http://houseeros.com/roleplay-role-playing-forum/index.php?topic=25901.0

When writing your character's background, please read the story summary (also found below) and how you may enter the story. In short, at the current point in the story, your character would either have the back-story of serving on:
1) The USS Theurgy (difficult back-story to write, but it can be done with some effort)
2) The USS Harbinger (difficult back-story to write, but it can be done with some effort)
3) The USS Resolve (good option, but it means that s/he has been 'lost at sea' for three years before his/her story begins)
4) Starbase 84 (good option, and like with the USS Resolve s/he will be defecting to the Theurgy at the end of Episode 04)

When you have decided, here are the practical steps:

1) Join the hosting site: House of Eros (http://houseeros.com/roleplay-role-playing-forum/index.php). 
2) See site rules: http://houseeros.com/roleplay-role-playing-forum/index.php?topic=12680.0
3) Check the link with Star Trek: Theurgy joining information (after joining House of Eros): http://houseeros.com/roleplay-role-playing-forum/index.php?topic=15657.0
4) Write a PM (Private Message) to me, the Game Moderator (Auctor Lucan) with your character application.
5) The evolving story can be found on the Star Trek: Theurgy Message Board: http://houseeros.com/roleplay-role-playing-forum/index.php?board=116.0

Edited by Auctor-Lucan

The Joining Form

- Character Name:
- Position: (Example: Engineer, Chief of Engineering, etc.)
- Character Species:
- Character Gender:
- Character Age:
- Character Birthplace:
- Height:
- Weight:
- Eye Colour:
- Hair Colour:
- Interests:
- Background Story: (250 words or more is required)
- Personality Profile: (Detailed)
- Physical Profile: (Details beyond what is visible in character pictures)

Application Requirements
- When writing your character's background, please read the story summary.

- Good characters have virtues. Great characters have flaws. Characters for the USS Theurgy Group are expected to be realistic, even for a futuristic science fiction world.

- Heroic characters are welcome and appreciated, including those with special skills or abilities, but it is expected that for each special skill or ability a character might have an offsetting flaw or vice. It is expected that flaws listed on a character application be used in storytelling, and not added in to get away with being heroic.

- It’s understood that most writers do not have a complete grasp of a character on its initial inception; characters grow all on their own in the writing of them. New characters are not expected to be as in-depth as established characters, but the expectation is that a realistic persona is presented that is open and welcoming to development. This is as much (if not more) for the enjoyment of the writer than anything else!

- However, those characters that stretch the boundaries of realism into ‘god-moding’ will be promptly addressed by the Group Moderator; remember, the GM is playing too. The GM is more than happy to work with players on their character concepts, but the reverse is expected as well in that the player will work with the GM to maintain a level of believability that is inherent in fun, quality writing.

- The USS Theurgy and the Star Trek universe is a big place full of adventures and stories to be told. As characters progress and writers get accustomed to the pace of activity, more characters can be approved at the discretion of the GM.

- Rank is determined for each character on joining, and will be worked out with each player to best fit the character. That being said, understandably a Starship cannot function with a great number of Commanders and Captains overseeing each part of the ship. A storyline benefits from a mix of junior and senior officers to propel the story.

- Make sure to read the section General Rules above before sending your application to the GM. When submitting your character, use the character sheet above. The GM approves the applications before the applicant is allowed to post in the Crew Manifest thread or in the RP.

Helpful Inspiration

When you fill out a character sheet initially, there are many things you might discover as your character's story progresses. On your first pass, put down all of the details you are positive will last and define him or her. This list below has inspiration that I find useful to weave into the character sheet:
- Nickname / Alias
- Defining Species / Nationality traits
- Place / Date of Birth
- Clothing Choices
- Handedness
- Jewelry / Tattoos / Marks
- Key Relationships
- Education / Work History
- Skills
- Phobias / Fears
- Bad Habits / Vices / Quirks
- Best Qualities / Worst Qualities
- Key Childhood Experiences
- Key Teenage Experiences
- Key Adult Experiences
- Sexual Background
- Goals and Motivations
- Morality / Ethics
- Style of Speech
- Words/Slang/Jargon

Please send your character sheet (made in alignment with the Joining Form above) to the GM via PM for approval, and if you want to add pictures, feel free to do so! Being very happy about making graphics, the GM also extends his helping hand in finding and editing pictures to match the applicant's character.

If you just wish to offer your interest in participating, that works too, as long as you compile a complete character sheet and get the GM's subsequent approval before posting in the story.

If you have any special requests or ideas, the GM will happily discuss them over PM.

Welcome aboard the voyage of the USS Theurgy!
Edited by Auctor-Lucan

I unlocked this thread. Feel free to reply.

I am not a moderator here, but as a science fiction story and scriptwriter, and rpg guy sometimes, I have some ideas for improving this.

I am confused by all this extra stuff all in a row here. It seems to be a web site for a game system, a role playing game, but here on this site it looks incredibly over complex and might be better suited to a godaddy account page or a google blogger, or something like that. It's just too much to look at in five continuous posts.

The name is also confusing, as it seems they're saying 'the orgy' or the 'the urge' or something, but that could be a translation from another language.

It certainly is well detailed, but it is quite cluttered and not user friendly. You might try initially making links to the page where the game is first, and then post the brief contents and over all game play.

A description of the game is one thing. An essay on the mechanics of it is another. You want to hook your gamer audience into playing the game. The content about mapping and setting up certain characters can go on your game page where they can read that under 'about' or under 'characters' or 'in universe rules' and such.

In scriptwriting they say, which applies here also, 'Show the scene, don't tell'. If you have to tell, make sure the characters and setting are doing something that forwards the story. This will be part of the 'scenario' of the game play. Such as the mission. The mission is where the crew is going to have their adventure.

In TNG the episodes that dealt with showing the story, such as a landing team, or away team, on a planet, so called planet hell sets, were more interesting than the meeting room episodes where the cast was stuck on the ship, the so called bottle shows.

A simple synopsis of play to start out with, then go from there.

Is it a strategy game, battle game, first person shooter, mission based or what? I couldn't tell from reading all of that.

Not to say it's all wrong. It's not. It is just confusing as an introduction.

Edited by Chimera82405

Hi there! Thanks for your feedback, I will take it all into consideration. A couple of answers below, but to explain it all thoroughly might make it an essay. Mainly, I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding.

- All the stuff posted here is an info dump, correct. The game itself is played out as a post-by-forum roleplay on another site (check the links). I make the info available since those who are interested will be reading, and those who aren't, won't. It's a method of attracting the right kind of players too, not just those who come by and play for a couple of weeks and then leaves. The game is a long-term commitment and I am not interested in accepting those that don't even want to read up and understand the the story.

- The name of the roleplay? Star Trek: Theurgy? Theurgy is one word (not two) and it signifies a lot of things, the aspect closest to hand the MVAM procedure (ritual) and how - as if by magic - the ship becomes three.

- The character development process between the applicants and I is an organic process that takes place over PM (see first post), in which the needs of the story and the wishes of the applicant (what kind of character s/he wishes to write) meet and generate the best possible solution.

- Not sure what you are getting at with the comparison to TNG. Are you referring to what happened in the synopses of the past Episodes? They are the outcome of 10-15 writers playing out the events, and each one of them is almost at novel-length.

- As for what kind of game it is, click the links and you'll know, but I agree, I could make it more plain that this is a play-by-forum simm/group rp/roleplaying game that is open for new applicants. :)

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on this info!

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan

Edited by Auctor-Lucan

I am confused by all this extra stuff all in a row here. It seems to be a web site for a game system, a role playing game, but here on this site it looks incredibly over complex and might be better suited to a godaddy account page or a google blogger, or something like that. It's just too much to look at in five continuous posts.

After having seen the site some days ago, it's a story-driven RPG. Theurgy is the name of the ship. I also agree that this isn't laid out in the best manner, at least for this site. The order could be better and some of the information omitted. The introductory plot can go with the intro and the joining notes with the story summaries clutter the summaries and confuse the application process, Would be easier just to note on the application form: If your character had any interactions of note when it comes to the stories told this far, please make them part of your character description.

Full crew roster is just not needed here. Maybe just the positions you'd most like filled at the moment.

Edited by prometheus59650

Good ideas, I will probably scale it down and somehow make it more clear. The crew roster might be a bit much even if it shows a lot of available positions. It could be better off at the origin.

Thanks for the feedback!

Best,

Auctor Lucan

AVAILABLE STAR TREK: THEURGY CHARACTERS

We have been running the Theurgy story for over four years now, and over time, we have built the story with key characters that are essential to the plot, not to mention making different kinds of relationships between characters that have become important for character development.

Sadly, writers have left the group now and then, leaving the writers that remain with us bereft of the development that they were looking forward to with their own characters. However, over time, we have successfully let writer-less characters be inherited by present writers. In fact, characters have successfully been inherited by current writers many times, examples being Selena Ravenholm, Wenn Cinn, Edena Rez, Nathaniel Isley and Cameron Henshaw, whom are all being actively played today even if the original writers left us. So, this is your chance to step right into present events in the Star Trek: Theurgy story. 

If you would like to inherit either of the available characters below, I will be able to provide you with information about what the characters have been up to so far in the story, and potential development for them. Please consider also how you, as the new writer of the character, has a creative license to change the way s/he is played. There is a plausible IC explanation for any changes that you might wish to make, this in the form of a present butterfly effect

Below are links to the biographies of our available characters, so click and read up on their background, and then drop me a PM if you are interested in either one of them. I will then be able to tell you what they have been up to, and what might be in store for them.

alt Lt. JG Zaraq                 Security Officer [NPC] 
alt
Current Place in Story: On the Theurgy. Was mind-controlled and betrayed his crew, killing and raping people, and now has to suffer the memories of it
Upcoming Events: Tries to find redemption among his peers, doing what he can to make up for what he did while under someone else's control

Present Character Sheet: http://houseeros.com/roleplay-role-playing-forum/index.php?topic=5458.msg481576#msg481576 

Looking forward to hearing from anyone interested in these and what you would like to change about them.

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan
Edited by Auctor-Lucan
Update

STAR TREK: THEURGY RECRUITMENT CLOSED

As of now, we are not accepting any new members until further notice. I already have three applicants in the process of joining and I cannot handle the recruitment process and run the story at the same time. 

The three people who are in the pipe already will be joining us, but after that, I need a break so that I can drive the story forward with the little time I have available now that work has picked up. The current last applicants until recruitment is open again are SummerDawn, chXinya and VioletteTheViolent (arriving from DeviantArt).

The only way to join us now is to inherit a character already in the story and who has character images made for them. The list of available characters than can be inherited can be found above.

Best Regards,

Auctor Lucan