dxdy

Online Search Tool for the Star Trek Transcripts. It allows you to search by lines, speakers, locations and much more!

dxdy   

Hey guys,

over the past couple of days I've deveoped a search tool to help you search through chakoteya.net's transcripts of the Star Trek shows.

Check it out at http://scriptsearch.dxdy.name

Why is this better than using a normal search engine?

fa69ivp.png

• Only the results that precisely match what you’re looking for are displayed.
  • The full line plus its immediate context is displayed, saving you the trouble of having to go on each and every page to find out how a sentence ends. Instead, you can simply have a look at the results and then decide to go to the relevant transcripts for further context.
  • The results are displayed in the same order their episodes aired. That way, you won’t have to manually re-order them if you’re interested in how a character’s views developed over time.
  • You can restrict your search to specific shows or episodes.

So far, I've used it to research how a certain subject is portrayed, or how a character's view on a subject evolved over time. The ability to separate results by author also allows for a convenient analysis on how two character's takes on the same philosophy might differ. Also, it's handy to simply find long-forgotten scenes like that scene where Vash, Picard and Q were discussing in the ready room. Giving the tool that information will quickly point you to the scene in question.

If you've got any suggestions for improvement, be sure to let me know.

Edited by dxdy