prometheus59650

X-Files Returns

9 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Darin Morgan, yeah. Darin Morgan just can't stifle his own irrepressible sense of taking-the-piss, so I'll basically watch any X Files ep he writes, in the firm knowledge that there will be belly laughs. 

I don't want all X Files episodes to be like that, but if he writes, say, a couple of this run, we know we'll get something good. Glenn Morgan and James Wong, also. And Vince. bring back Vince.

I know Carter is head honcho, but like the original run of the show, and the episodes he wrote for last year'smin-series, I'm increasingly convinced he's the one who understands what the X factor in the X Files is the least. 

PS

"Glen" not "Glenn." I know how to spell your name, Glen, but Autcorrect thinks it's better than me. THIS IS THE START OF THE TAKEOVER... 

* cue Terminator theme... * 

DA-DUM-DA DA-DUM... DA DA DUM DA DUM.... :giggle:

And yes, XF for me, is like a fondly remembered old friend with whom I parted amicably a long time ago.   

Yes, there were rough patches and a few arguments perhaps (seasons 7-9, the second movie, etc) but overall I remember the 'friend' with fondness and don't mind getting together for a cup of coffee every now and then.   Which is one of the reasons 10 episodes per mini-season feels just about right.   More than that and we'd probably just end up fighting again...:laugh:

I re-watched the show on Blu Ray recently, and it worked for me like this: I only watched the first six seasons, left out the final episode of season 6 (because ugh, bad, terrible) and watched the second-to-last episode of season 7 instead ("Je Souhaite" is one of my all time favorites and the only season 7 episode I like AND it serves as a good series finale as well IMO). Then I watched the latest episodes and guess what - it worked. They retconned so much of the whole mythology arc in these new episodes that you can basically just forget seasons 7, 8 and 9. (Which is what I prefer to do.)

So yeah, I wish they'd resolve the rather terrible cliffhanger episode they had and get rid of the mythology and just focus on monsters of the week because they are where the Mulder and Scully dynamic truly shines.

Sim   
1 hour ago, Mr.Picard said:

I re-watched the show on Blu Ray recently, and it worked for me like this: I only watched the first six seasons, left out the final episode of season 6 (because ugh, bad, terrible) and watched the second-to-last episode of season 7 instead ("Je Souhaite" is one of my all time favorites and the only season 7 episode I like AND it serves as a good series finale as well IMO). Then I watched the latest episodes and guess what - it worked. They retconned so much of the whole mythology arc in these new episodes that you can basically just forget seasons 7, 8 and 9. (Which is what I prefer to do.)

So yeah, I wish they'd resolve the rather terrible cliffhanger episode they had and get rid of the mythology and just focus on monsters of the week because they are where the Mulder and Scully dynamic truly shines.

Hm, for me, season 6 is the low point... season 7 was IMO a tad better, back to the original vibe of the show (maybe on par with season 5 IMO, while seasons 2-4 are the peak). Season 6 was somehow ... too experimental, for the lack of a better word. And the new California setting (which wasn't for the show's best IMO) showed more in season 6, than season 7.

Now it's up to me to like seasons other people don't like :laugh::

I used to hate seasons 8 and 9, but when I rewatched them after the BD release a bit more than a year ago, I did my best to (re-)approach them with an open mind ... and it worked. I used to hate Agent Doggett, perhaps because of a "stepfather syndrome"... he just wasn't Mulder. But revisiting these seasons, knowing what I'd get, and in awareness there will be a happy end (we got Mulder back with season 10, yay!), I actually managed to develop an affection for Doggett and Reyes. They had their own kind of chemistry, and I even was disappointed not to see more of them in the end. Maybe I would even have loved them, if this hadn't been the same series, but officially an "X-Files: The Next Generation" kind of approach. At any rate, any kind of bad feelings I used to have for them were forgiven, once Mulder came back for the event series. And once I started liking the characters? I realized that many plots in their two years were pretty damn good.

I can say that about few shows, but "The X-Files" is a show I now have a deep affection for, even for its less than stellar parts, warts and all. Much like I can overlook (and even love) TOS's occasional campiness. :)

Edited by Sim

I love the sixth season for the most part (not stuff like "Milagro" though, blergh, skip it), I mean stuff like "Arcadia" is an instant classic. :laugh:  I tried to find reasons to watch season 7 but I didn't find a single good episode on the list except for "Je Souhaite", I just LOVE this one. But then, everyone has different taste, some folks skip this, others skip that. Heh.

I share the deep affection for the show, though. X Files was EVERYTHING to me when I was a teenager, and that probably clouds my judgment sometimes, I don't know. It's just so much teenage nostalgia and I think of all the Mulder posters I had and all the stuff I read about Mulder and how much I wanted to meet him and all. :laugh:

Sim   
3 minutes ago, Mr.Picard said:

I love the sixth season for the most part (not stuff like "Milagro" though, blergh, skip it), I mean stuff like "Arcadia" is an instant classic. :laugh:  I tried to find reasons to watch season 7 but I didn't find a single good episode on the list except for "Je Souhaite", I just LOVE this one. But then, everyone has different taste, some folks skip this, others skip that. Heh.

I share the deep affection for the show, though. X Files was EVERYTHING to me when I was a teenager, and that probably clouds my judgment sometimes, I don't know. It's just so much teenage nostalgia and I think of all the Mulder posters I had and all the stuff I read about Mulder and how much I wanted to meet him and all. :laugh:

Oh yeah, I love "Arcadia", too! :thumbup: And I give them kudos for trying quite a few bolder new things in season 6... but more often than not, it felt a bit too much like a "Stilbruch" (clash of styles) to me.

Maybe I have a softer spot for season 7, because it was when I came back to the show after abandoning it for the first time (in the last third of season 5). I have fond memories of the time when it first aired (well, that time was horrible for me, but that show was one of the few things that managed to distract me from grim realities), so there's that. And there are several episodes I kind of like, even when it's not a constant firework like much of season 2 and 3... many episodes are at least thoroughly entertaining IMO (yeah, "Je Souhaite" is a gem, but I also like quirkier ones like "Hunger", and the two-parter about Mulder's closure about his sister is just beautiful to the most part... I also liked the continuation of the 2nd season episode about the necrophile pervert, and am pretty fond of that episode about the square suburb -- Scully observing the transvestite in that filthy place was priceless! :) ).

So yeah, season 7, much like season 5 are seasons I'm much less fond of than the earlier seasons, but they are still somewhat entertaining IMO, and have a fair share of gems.

I guess I just have a thing for seasons in which a show tries very weird things. There appears to be a pattern here. Hmm. :laugh:

Agree with much of what has been said. Season 6 was trying too hard, and Season 7 was strong. I will forever recommend the season 7 two parter that concluded the Samantha arc--it is a masterpiece IMO. At the time I hated season 8 and 9, but rewathing them last year I found them to be just as good.... well, they were good, and in comparison to how most shows just fall apart at the end or peter out, X-Files ended its original run strong (just with a terrible, irredeemable final episode).

Going forward. The thing about the Mythology is this: they don't need to jettison it, they just need to get it right. The mythology was always in a continuous state of being rebooted, even early on. First it was about abductions, then it was about alien clones, then it was about body-snatching oil, then it was about colonization--all this in the first 4 seasons. Carter was always making this up as he went along, and as a restless writer, always switching up the focus every season. In season 5 and 6 (and the first film) he tied it all together in a nice bow, and then moved on to.... aliens writing the Bible. That plot line was short lived and never mentioned again in the rest of the series--but it reveals how Carter tells stories. He writes about what is interesting to him that year with no promises that he will push it for more than a season. He will move on to something else. He always has. As he did when he wrote about super soldiers and baby-alien-Christs in season 8 and 9.  

I'm withholding judgment on the revival mythology switcheroo until I rewatch those episodes--but it is classic Carter in that he changed it up. 

I'm sure current events are giving him other ideas about new mythologies to tell. 

In the end, you can't really do X-Files without aliens. And aliens are the mythology. I would be down with moving on from the whole colonization plot, which was always a ticking clock hanging over the original series. Maybe that is what season 10 was trying to accomplish. Don't get me wrong, if you take away the threat of colonization you can minimize and even ignore the alien aspect of the series and just do the other paranormal stuff. My hunch is that Carter is going to be Carter. Season 11 will keep the mythology but change the focus. I have accepted that we have no choice but to accept Carter as he is, and what he does is pretty good no matter what.    

Are you ready for Season 11 of THE X-FILES in 2018 ??? Check the trailer now because the truth is out there.

Edited by GustavoLeao

I was a bit mixed regarding the last batch of episodes; half were good, the other half were forgettable.   We’ll see...