prometheus59650

X-Files Returns

307 posts in this topic

I guess I'll be the first one to say that I didn't like this episode at all. I felt like this season provided some growth in writing and character development and then we get this ep which uses practically the same formula as the season finales decades ago. To me, nothing happens for the hour and then in the last 30 seconds something interesting happens and then....lights out. Or Light On..in this case. I felt like I was getting strung along for no pay off. With as much as they teased about their son, we didn't see anything. 

I can't believe I'm saying this but I enjoyed the Monster of the Week eps of this mini-season. This Alien Mythology thing was cooked and done a long time ago. It has nothing to offer me anymore. 

Just watched this finale, and as Sim said...it is a big FAT cliffhanger! I'm glad the mini-series did well both critically and in the ratings, makes it seem likely that we will get more...because they can't just leave us like that, right?

SPOILERS POSSIBLY AHEAD.

I like Einstein and all...but why were they in this one in the beginning?  They are just sort of involved from the get go for no real reason I could discern, other than the script needed them to be.  That said...whatever. As for Reyes...I never liked her character, which was equal parts I thought she was badly written and I didn't think Gish was a very good actress.  Nothing changed my opinion, because now she as written as a Smoking Man henchman for some reason and Gish still delivered her lines like she has never spoken to another human before. I dunno what it is about her delivery...but it is stiff and awkward and I just find her irritating to watch on screen.

The episode moved at a fast pace, it was decent, it had some good ideas. But oddly enough I think the episodes that did the least for me this whole mini-series all ended up being the ones written by Chris Carter.  The three written by other classic writers were decent to great...Carter's stuff has been okay...but I didn't enjoy them on the same level.  I think the truth is that Season 6 wrapped up the mythology, and since then nothing mythology related ever truly lived up to that ending.  It all felt superfluous.  The search for Mulder was a decent replacement for a bit...but it still wasn't as intriguing. The stuff they've relaunched with has some potential I guess...but in some ways it still doesn't feel as intriguing as that original stuff was.  Maybe if I revisit this stuff it will capture my imagination more.  

I'm curious to see where they'd take this, but I also find it a tad disappointing that it ended like this...although it does make me wonder if a plan for more seasons like this has been in the works from the get go.

But man...I just don't like Reyes or Gish, I get why she was in this (however briefly), but I just think she sucks me right out of it.  At least Reyes wasn't portrayed as totally good and Mary Sue-ish anymore...as she has sort of turned to the darkside, but she still can't act!

I never disliked Reyes as you seem to do, and always found her acting just fine (never remotely as bad as the pinnacle of terrible acting that's Kate Mulgrew for me, for example) but I totally love her "turn to the dark side". This idea has a lot of potential, IMO.

As for the Carter written stories, I found episode 5 "Babylon" absolutely brilliant. Perhaps even the best of the miniseries and among the top 5 of all 208 episodes. That said, Darin Morgan is just amazing, of course... but his self-parodies wouldn't work without the "normal" episodes they make fun of.

The cliffhanger is sufficiently open-ended -- an UFO taking Mulder, Scully and Agents Whatshisname with them, while thr world around sinks into chaos -- that *anything* could happen. It might also open the door for a huge big-budget movie, in case a new tv season isn't greenlit for whatever reason. Even a takeover by Einstein and her partner is possible at that point, though I doubt they'd do that after the bad experience with an attempted restart in season 9; would certainly be a stupid thing to do.

Gish, to me, is worse than Mulgrew. Mulgrew overacted, but at least she acted! Gish couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. Every line sounds like she has over thought it...I dunno what it is, she has always rubbed me the wrong way...but at least she is playing someone now that I am not necesarrily supposed to be rooting for. Makes it slightly easier to stomach her if she is supposed to be bad. 

I really doubt they'd attempt an Einstein/Bland Dude relaunch. I could see them mulling it over as a cheaper option to keep it going, but people want Mulder and Scully. Hell I love Doggett, but even I just wanna see Mulder and Scully. They ARE the X-Files. I like Ambrose, but I honestly have noninterest in the X-Files lead by her (particularly with her forgettable partner). 

I thought Babylon was okay and nice and weird...but it didn't grab me in the same way as whatever the episode was before with the homeless people. And yes the parody episodes of Darin Morgan require the non parody episodes to work...but I just don't feel Carter delivers in the same way for the non-parody episodes as he once did. He didn't make bad episodes, just not ones that really got me into the spirit of things as the others. 

Gish, to me, is worse than Mulgrew. Mulgrew overacted, but at least she acted! Gish couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. Every line sounds like she has over thought it...I dunno what it is, she has always rubbed me the wrong way...but at least she is playing someone now that I am not necesarrily supposed to be rooting for. Makes it slightly easier to stomach her if she is supposed to be bad. 

Acting is a very subjective thing, of course... but what I like about Gish/Reyes is that she reminds me of one or two women I've met in real life *who actually talk just like that*! A certain type of new agey, alternative, esoteric post-hippie women, they were... so I assumed Gish attempted to capture just that. ;)

I guess I'll be the first one to say that I didn't like this episode at all. I felt like this season provided some growth in writing and character development and then we get this ep which uses practically the same formula as the season finales decades ago. To me, nothing happens for the hour and then in the last 30 seconds something interesting happens and then....lights out. Or Light On..in this case. I felt like I was getting strung along for no pay off. With as much as they teased about their son, we didn't see anything. 

I can't believe I'm saying this but I enjoyed the Monster of the Week eps of this mini-season. This Alien Mythology thing was cooked and done a long time ago. It has nothing to offer me anymore. 

Funny, I feel the opposite ... I hardly ever cared for the cliffhangers back in the 90s, and hardly for the mythology in general. 90% of my interest back then was based on the "MotW"s.

"My Struggle" was perhaps the first time I found the mythology somewhat thrilling.

Edited by Sim

I know some new agey people, but it isn't so much the kind of crap she spees (which, sure I do find annoying), but just the way she actually says the lines. 

Ok, those of you who know my X-Files preferences, help me out. I can't watch the finale until this weekend. But Im dying to know... The guy recapping for New York Times wrote that he is bitter and angry about it. 

Without spoiling anything, is My Struggle II an huge misstep, a brilliant leap forward, or a cheat. Does it continue the brilliance of the first five episodes, or squander it? Is it true to the heart of the series, or the final ravings of an arrogant show runner? Please tell me... in as generic a way as you can. (I know I'm being extra right now!)     

Ok, those of you who know my X-Files preferences, help me out. I can't watch the finale until this weekend. But Im dying to know... The guy recapping for New York Times wrote that he is bitter and angry about it. 

Without spoiling anything, is My Struggle II an huge misstep, a brilliant leap forward, or a cheat. Does it continue the brilliance of the first five episodes, or squander it? Is it true to the heart of the series, or the final ravings of an arrogant show runner? Please tell me... in as generic a way as you can. (I know I'm being extra right now!)     

All I can say is this:

"My Struggle II" was (for me) a fast-paced but ultimately hollow wrap up to the 6 episode miniseries.   I expected just a teensy bit more resolution, but instead it just ends on yet another enigma.  

I felt a bit ripped off, frankly.

If there weren't a nice handful of gems in this little bunch, I'd be even more disappointed.   Seeing Gish again as Agent Reyes in this episode did nothing for me, since I was never a fan of her character (she and Doggett's entrance in the original show loosely marked the point when my interest waned,  I took a sabbatical from it all back in the early 2000s).  Cancer Man returns in this episode, but his 'return' is so implausible as to be borderline preposterous.  I'd almost buy him as an alien clone rather than the "It-wasn't-as-bad-as-it-looked"-style explanation provided.   Reminded of when Robert Wagner returned as Number Two in "Austin Powers 2" with just a tiny burn smudge on his cheek after 'dying' in the previous movie.

And while there is a lot happening in MS2, the questions remain maddeningly unanswered for the most part (where's William?  WTF just happened at the very end??).  Even "Fight the Future" (1998) felt more standalone than this episode.

Maybe I was expecting too much (?).  I dunno.  However, the miniseries was ultimately a success (for me) for several reasons; it was a viable proof of concept for X-Files return.  It also ably demonstrated its relevance to our age (modern phones and computer abilities actually enhanced the storytelling).   Mulder & Scully felt 'renewed' (the time off did the actors some good).   But most importantly, there were some really TERRIFIC standalone episodes in this miniseries (two of them rank among the best in the series, IMO). 

But as far as wrapping things up?  It was more than a bit disappointing.   :S

I'd say it was somewhere between okay and mediocre, neither a misstep nor a step forward. After the brilliance of episodes 3-5, it felt like "back to normal".

Technically very well done, so fast-paced it never was boring, but ultimately shallow and generic on the story. "Style over substance".

And it doesn't wrap up or conclude a thing, it's a *huge* open cliffhanger.

That said, when you don't expect another gem, and your expectations aren't spoiled too much by the top-notch episodes, you might well be able to enjoy it, IMO. I'm afraid your fears about Cancerman might be confirmed, though.

Cancer Man returns in this episode, but his 'return' is so implausible as to be borderline preposterous.  I'd almost buy him as an alien clone rather than the "It-wasn't-as-bad-as-it-looked"-style explanation provided.   Reminded of when Robert Wagner returned as Number Two in "Austin Powers 2" with just a tiny burn smudge on his cheek after 'dying' in the previous movie.

At least they didn't exhume his half-deceased body from his grave and just claimed "oops, he wasn't dead after all!".

When they did that with Mulder in season 8, THAT really made me feel cheated after all the bruhaha about Mulder's abduction.

Edited by Sim

At least they didn't exhume his half-deceased body from his grave and just claimed "oops, he wasn't dead after all!".

When they did that with Mulder in season 8, THAT really made me feel cheated after all the bruhaha about Mulder's abduction.

Yeah, I'm generally against resurrections in movies or TV shows; I'm of the opinion that if you have the courage to kill a character off?  You have to live with that decision and create new, equally interesting ones to fill the vacancy.  STIII being a rare exception.

I didn't watch Mulder's original 'death' (that was around the time I'd given up on the show), but obviously Doggett & Reyes weren't quite the solution everyone hoped for (hence Mulder's return).   

Speaking of replacements?  Have to say, I did wind up enjoying the B-Team of Einstein & Miller a bit more than I expected.  Even if their very presence was kind of a big in-joke at first (yeah, I got it; exact younger doppelgängers of the originals... hardy har har).

I'd say it was somewhere between okay and mediocre, neither a misstep nor a step forward. After the brilliance of episodes 3-5, it felt like "back to normal".

Technically very well done, so fast-paced it never was boring, but ultimately shallow and generic on the story. "Style over substance".

And it basically doesn't wrap up or conclude a thing, it's a *huge* open cliffhanger.

That said, when you don't expect another gem, and your expectations aren't spoiled too much by the top-notch episodes, you might well be able to enjoy it, IMO. I'm afraid your fears about Cancerman might be confirmed, though.

Thanks for the heads up. 

I don't care that it is a mediocre or even bad mythology episode. There are plenty of those. I worry, I fret, I fear that it takes me in a direction I don't want to go. Now, I say that with the wisdom of someone who rejected Season 8 and 9, but years later came to truly enjoy and appreciate them (well, not the mythology episodes, which further complicates my current station...). I am willing to roll with a new direction, it the writing is steady and true. But I will morn the loss of the old direction, which I really loved.   

Yeah, I'm generally against resurrections in movies or TV shows; I'm of the opinion that if you have the courage to kill a character off?  You have to live with that decision and create new, equally interesting ones to fill the vacancy.  STIII being a rare exception.

I didn't watch Mulder's original 'death' (that was around the time I'd given up on the show), but obviously Doggett & Reyes weren't quite the solution everyone hoped for (hence Mulder's return).   

Speaking of replacements?  Have to say, I did wind up enjoying the B-Team of Einstein & Miller a bit more than I expected.  Even if their very presence was kind of a big in-joke at first (yeah, I got it; exact younger doppelgängers of the originals... hardy har har).

Well Reyes wasn't really on the team yet. She had a few recurring appearences, but wasn't a main castmemeber yet. Mulder's death and resurrection seemed to be part of the plan from the beginning. Season 8 is pretty good actually...give it a new fresh shot Vie! 

Well Reyes wasn't really on the team yet. She had a few recurring appearences, but wasn't a main castmemeber yet. Mulder's death and resurrection seemed to be part of the plan from the beginning. Season 8 is pretty good actually...give it a new fresh shot Vie! 

Maybe... I just remember how utterly disinterested I felt the few times I tried to get back into it back in those days.   I think S7 was the last full season of the show I watched before its cancellation.    I came back for the 2002 series' finale, but that was kind of a hot mess IMO.

Maybe... I just remember how utterly disinterested I felt the few times I tried to get back into it back in those days.   I think S7 was the last full season of the show I watched before its cancellation.    I came back for the 2002 series' finale, but that was kind of a hot mess IMO.

Season 9 in general is a hot mess. Season 8 may surprise you. It had more focus than Season 7 had, and Doggett is kinda cool (especially in his few team ups wih Mulder, because they hate each other and its a fun dunamic). 

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/x-files-finale-recap-end-081000822.html

Here is a positive review. He seems to be in the Trust Carter camp, which I certainly hope to belong to. This line sums up my views (though I haven't seen the finale yet):  "I admire the way he assuredly follows his muse, audience expectations be damned. I'm also inspired by his willingness to take risks, challenging and potentially alienating his audience..." 

Season 9 in general is a hot mess. Season 8 may surprise you. It had more focus than Season 7 had, and Doggett is kinda cool (especially in his few team ups wih Mulder, because they hate each other and its a fun dunamic). 

Sehlat, I originally felt just like you ... I too stopped watching the original run after 3 or 4 episodes into season 8, and only returned for the season 9 series finale, which then struck me as a hot mess, too.

Only five or six years later, after a budget purchase of seasons 8&9 on DVD, I gave it another chance. And once I managed to get beyond my "stepfather syndrome" regarding Doggett (whom I originally couldn't stand, because he just wasn't Mulder), I enjoyed the episodes with him quite a lot.

Even season 9. Unlike Kenmen, I'd probably even say I enjoy season 9 a tad more, on the bottom line, than season 8; that's because season 9 is a true restart, while season 8 is still "neither fish nor flesh" (Mulder still appears in 10 out of 21 season 8 episodes, and the show can't decide whether it wants to pander to the old or be fresh and new). When looking at season 9 as a kind of "X-Files: TNG", a new series rather than continuation, I found it pretty enjoyable -- except for hints in two or three episodes, it entirely emancipates from Mulder and even Scully takes a step into the background, to leave the stage for Doggett & Reyes. (But I guess if you just don't manage to really like Doggett or Reyes, it won't work).

Mulder's resurrection in season 8 was not a reaction to the bad reception of Doggett and/or Reyes; it had been the plan right from the beginning, because Duchovny had signed up for 10 out of 21 episodes. So they decided to make the first half of the season with Scully&Doggett, and bring back Mulder in the middle. Reyes was then added, parallel to Mulder's resurrection, to avoid a triangle.

Maybe that made the silly explanation for Mulder's resurrection all the more annoying, as it was totally unnecessary -- they could have easily continued with Mulder up to the middle of the season, and get rid of him then, rather than the other way round.

Just watched My Struggle II. And I liked it. I was prepared to feel very burned. But it was not a big departure. In fact, it was very in tune with the X-Files has always done, which is reset itself so that it can spin off in new creative directions. 

My primary fear had been that we were going to be told that the entire alien colonization plan was a lie. This episode does not do that. The agency of the aliens is so far unclear. Smoking Man definitely adds some new texture to the Syndicate's motivations. But he didn't say anything that contradicted what we had previously seen. Presumably, if Mulder and Scully are beamed up into the UFO we saw in the climax, we will learn more about the alien's plans. I hope that the alien role is more front and center next time out. 

The shocking departure from all previous X-Files was the depiction of the mass epidemic. The X-Files always stuck with the formula of two low level FBI agents uncovering bread crumb evidence of a wider conspiracy, but never being able to prove it. The apocalypse was always years away--and for good reason. If everything Smoking Man said would happen actually happened, The X-Files would suddenly become Independence Day, and then our heroes could not go back to solving mundane crimes like serial killers and monsters of the week. But in this episode the global apocalypse finally arrives. Carter is going for broke. The mini series was freeing in various creative ways, and one was that he felt he could paint with a wider canvas. Not just stick to the POV of two small time federal agents. 

Whether this will work will depend on the pay off. And Carter already planted plenty of seeds for how life could return to normal after a couple episodes. Scully has the cure. It is possible, even believable, that she could administer it without anyone actually believing that alien DNA is behind it. We'll see next year... 

Gotta say, I was disappointed in that final episode. It was Carter trotting out the same ol' hogwash he used to tread water with back in the day. Apart from #5, his were the weaker entries in this mini-season. But I'd have to say it was a success overall, mostly very enjoyable and I was glad to see it back. Here's to another next year! But can we not dwell on the po-faced mythology stuff so much, maybe? Do bring back Lauren Ambrose, too. She was a big plus.

Gotta say, I was disappointed in that final episode. It was Carter trotting out the same ol' hogwash he used to tread water with back in the day. Apart from #5, his were the weaker entries in this mini-season. But I'd have to say it was a success overall, mostly very enjoyable and I was glad to see it back. Here's to another next year! But can we not dwell on the po-faced mythology stuff so much, maybe? Do bring back Lauren Ambrose, too. She was a big plus.

Agreed.   More Agent Einstein please... :thumbup:

And I also agree that the standalone episodes of this mini-season were among the best in the series' history, as far as I'm concerned.  

^ Those are my feelings, too.

It took them two episodes to warm up to operating temperature; the first two weren't bad, but not special either.

Episodes 3-5 were just brilliant. They alone are sufficient for calling the restart a huge success.

What bothers me most about #6 is, apart from the poor unoriginal explanation for the Cancerman's return, the fact that it doesn't answer a damn thing. I know the signs are good for an 11th season, but if there should not be a continuation after this, I'd be REALLY pissed.

It took them two episodes to warm up to operating temperature; the first two weren't bad, but not special either.

Episodes 3-5 were just brilliant. They alone are sufficient for calling the restart a huge success.

What bothers me most about #6 is, apart from the poor unoriginal explanation for the Cancerman's return, the fact that it doesn't answer a damn thing. I know the signs are good for an 11th season, but if there should not be a continuation after this, I'd be REALLY pissed.

^
That pretty much sums up all of my disappointment with the last episode.  The weak explanation for Cancer Man's return, coupled with even more (and bigger) new questions rather than answers felt like the rug had been pulled out from under me.   The standalone episodes were brilliant, but the mythology arc was a bit of a unresolved mess.

I felt ripped off.

^
That pretty much sums up all of my disappointment with the last episode.  The weak explanation for Cancer Man's return, coupled with even more (and bigger) new questions rather than answers felt like the rug had been pulled out from under me.   The standalone episodes were brilliant, but the mythology arc was a bit of a unresolved mess.

I felt ripped off.

Well, assuming there will indeed be a season 11, that's okay. They used to do cliffhangers from one season to the next, too, back in the 90s.

But it was a risky decision.

^

I felt ripped off.

Well, assuming there will indeed be a season 11, that's okay. They used to do cliffhangers from one season to the next, too, back in the 90s.

Maybe Carter needed to pay some bills...? :ohmy:  A cliffhanger means a greater chance for renewal, perhaps...

I'll be happy if it returns, but if it doesn't, it might be seen as a missed opportunity.

But we got three new, really enjoyable episodes. Pretty good going, really.

^

I felt ripped off.

Maybe Carter needed to pay some bills...? :ohmy:  A cliffhanger means a greater chance for renewal, perhaps...

I'll be happy if it returns, but if it doesn't, it might be seen as a missed opportunity.

But we got three new, really enjoyable episodes. Pretty good going, really.

The glass is always half full with you, Robin... :thumbup:

I hear y'all, but Im not complaining. 

If anything the season has shifted my perspective on mythology. First, Carter did not do anything in My Struggle II that is any different than all the beloved mythology episodes of the past. He introduced a few new facts on the ground, plus twice as many new questions, and moved the action forward. Myth eps are have two functions: to propel the series framework into a new and interesting direction, and to book-end really great stand alone episode. So by that count Carter succeeded.

The disappointment comes from the fact that these episodes feel rushed and compressed. If they had a few minutes more of screen time, or a few more episodes in the season to sprinkle clues, we might have gotten a more satisfactory build up: who is the new Syndicate surrounding Smoking Man (the only people we see are Reyes, in a turn that I enjoyed), and what is their end game; what are the alien's role in all this; why all the experiments on children; could we have learned of the imperative of finding William to save Mulder's life a little earlier so that the suspense could build...

Still, at least the episode actively teases these questions, providing a ton of intrigue and tension that must and will be answered in future episodes. For those who don't like that there are not enough answers in the new mythology episodes, that is not the same thing as saying there is not a lot to chew on in these episodes. There are many threads here to be picked up in the future.           

I feel that all six of the episodes were strong. I kind of loved the 2nd episode. Among other scenes, the one with the girl in the swimming pool still haunts me.  

I hear y'all, but Im not complaining. 

If anything the season has shifted my perspective on mythology. First, Carter did not do anything in My Struggle II that is any different than all the beloved mythology episodes of the past. He introduced a few new facts on the ground, plus twice as many new questions, and moved the action forward. Myth eps are have two functions: to propel the series framework into a new and interesting direction, and to book-end really great stand alone episode. So by that count Carter succeeded.

The disappointment comes from the fact that these episodes feel rushed and compressed. If they had a few minutes more of screen time, or a few more episodes in the season to sprinkle clues, we might have gotten a more satisfactory build up: who is the new Syndicate surrounding Smoking Man (the only people we see are Reyes, in a turn that I enjoyed), and what is their end game; what are the alien's role in all this; why all the experiments on children; could we have learned of the imperative of finding William to save Mulder's life a little earlier so that the suspense could build...

Still, at least the episode actively teases these questions, providing a ton of intrigue and tension that must and will be answered in future episodes. For those who don't like that there are not enough answers in the new mythology episodes, that is not the same thing as saying there is not a lot to chew on in these episodes. There are many threads here to be picked up in the future.           

I feel that all six of the episodes were strong. I kind of loved the 2nd episode. Among other scenes, the one with the girl in the swimming pool still haunts me.  

Yeah, on the bottom line, I feel season 10 (notice how they've changed from "event series" to officially calling it "season 10"? Hope that means something...) was a huge success.

Like you, I don't think any of the episodes was a failure. The worst were still "okay", IMO. That's a much better ratio than in the old seasons, where each season had its fair share of fillers and a handful of clunkers even. A quota of 3 top-notch episodes out of 6 ... that's 50%! Looking at it this way, the X-Files were never that good before!

If anything, I feel it shows -- bitterly! -- that six episodes was too short. Like you observed, there was no real chance for a mythology build-up. Even "My Struggle I & II" were so compressed, they felt more like long teaser-trailers to me, than genuine episodes. I had constantly the feeling that we need more time to really explore the events going on there, the episodes just hinted at things that deserve much more explanation.

IMO, "The Struggle II" cannot truly be judged independently from the continuation to come. It simply doesn't stand on its own. Once there (hopefully) is a continuation, only then I'll be able to judge the entire story as a whole.

I very much hope there will be a season 11 -- and not just a movie to wrap it up; like Star Trek, the X-Files is a tv animal.

And I very much hope if there indeed is a season 11, it will be longer than 6 episodes -- 12 or 13 at very least. If it's shorter, they should drop the mythology and make MotWs only.

Edited by Sim