prometheus59650

X-Files Returns

Loved last night's episode, but it has "backdoor pilot" all over it, as in, rebooting X-Files with those new actors.

At first, I had that idea too, but now I don't think so ... they're too over-the-top to carry a series on their own. Her name alone... Einstein. No way they're intended as anything other than recurring characters at best.

And Miller didn't quite seem like 'lead' material to me; he seemed like a Mulder understudy for the X-Files touring show. 

But I really enjoyed the episode; Lauren Ambrose's Einstein definitely had the chops for a spinoff. 

Sim   

Loved last night's episode, but it has "backdoor pilot" all over it, as in, rebooting X-Files with those new actors.

At first, I had that idea too, but now I don't think so ... they're too over-the-top to carry a series on their own. Her name alone... Einstein. No way they're intended as anything other than recurring characters at best.

And Miller didn't quite seem like 'lead' material to me; he seemed like a Mulder understudy for the X-Files touring show. 

But I really enjoyed the episode; Lauren Ambrose's Einstein definitely had the chops for a spinoff. 

I found the episode totally amazing ... together with "Were-Monster", the best of the miniseries and one of the best of the entire series, IMO.

What's new is that the episode even had a clear social message; as far as I remember, that's new for the X-Files. To me, it's the X-Files equivalent of Doctor Who's "Zygon Invasion", as incomparable both shows are.

All I know is that I really want it renewed. :)

If I'm going to lose agent Carter, you can give me agent Scully.

Edited by prometheus59650

Sim   

Seconded! :)

It'll prevent riots, I'm sure... :laugh:

Only just got around to watching this today and sat there on the sofa, WTFing. These last three episodes have been absolutely top-notch and this one, again, had everything, plus some stuff I didn't know I wanted so much. Which is what any show should endeavor to give you. By turns damning, sinister, hilarious and ironic, the X Files sends itself up again, but in a completely different way to Were-Monster. Mulder's trip had me in paroxysms. And what a pleasure to see Lauren Ambrose on TV again - the only thing I can think of after Six Feet Under that she was in was the final season of Torchwood. I've seen her on stage, she's a fabulous actor. So was very happy to see her in this (and she's back next week!) But for all that great stuff, that wonderful warmth at the end between Mulder and Scully...? This mini-season would've been worth it just for that one scene.

Genuinely loved it.

kenman   

Just watched the latest episode.  Liked it, maybe not as much as others here but I thought it was good in many ways. I did think briefly that they were setting up Einstein and boring guy as a possible way to keep the X-Files going without needing Mulder and Scully...but if it didn't work out with Reyes and Doggett as the main investigators, what makes them think it will work just because you cast a redhead? By the end I felt they were more of a meta-joke, "here are younger analogs to the Mulder/Scully archetypes" kind of deal.  The episode had some intriguing ideas and story. But it didn't grab me in quite the same way the previous two episodes had. Though I do like Lauren Ambrose.

Looking forward to the finale!

I took it to be a meta-joke, as you say, KM... It made me laugh, anyway. I don't think it would've worked with a lesser actress than Ambrose, and people seemed to have responded less well to Mulder's younger stand-in, but I think they got away with it as a shtick overall. 

News - well, rumor on season 11. Very positive:

http://screenrant.com/x-files-revival-fox-more-episodes/

kenman   

I would be fine if they did this every other year.  Keep the seasons short. 13 would be the max I think they should go. Don't risk 22-24 episodes. The show ran out of steam once before, even bigger chance for that now.  But if every other year they gave me an event of like 8 episodes I would watch. I think 6 has been too short, but a few more could easily give it breathing room.  And the reason I say every other year is to help elevate it back up to the event that it has been this year. 

Sim   

I would be fine if they did this every other year.  Keep the seasons short. 13 would be the max I think they should go. Don't risk 22-24 episodes. The show ran out of steam once before, even bigger chance for that now.  But if every other year they gave me an event of like 8 episodes I would watch. I think 6 has been too short, but a few more could easily give it breathing room.  And the reason I say every other year is to help elevate it back up to the event that it has been this year. 

Mostly agree with you ... I too feel 6 episodes was/is too short, but 22-24 is too much. I'd love to see 12-14 episode seasons.

And yes, on one side, event is a good thing ... on the other side, I love the constant influx of new episodes in regular seasons, too. But then, quality is more important than quantity ... I'd rather see fewer but better episodes, than many mediocre ones (a large number of very good episodes would be best, though ;) ).

kenman   

Mostly agree with you ... I too feel 6 episodes was/is too short, but 22-24 is too much. I'd love to see 12-14 episode seasons.

And yes, on one side, event is a good thing ... on the other side, I love the constant influx of new episodes in regular seasons, too. But then, quality is more important than quantity ... I'd rather see fewer but better episodes, than many mediocre ones (a large number of very good episodes would be best, though ;) ).

Top ratings for the new X-Files on German free tv:

The first episode "Der Kampf, Teil 1", which aired Monday at 9:10pm, was watched by 3.13 million viewers (9.1% market share), and 2.44 million in the age group between 14 and 49 -- which is a tremendous market share of 19.0%.

For free tv channel Pro7, those ratings are very good.

http://www.quotenmeter.de/tag/Akte+X

Many sources that reported the ratings also mentioned the huge disappointment among fans, including a petition and shitstorms online, about Pro7's choice to replace the voice actor who used to dub Mulder in the original 9 seasons.

There is so much content to sift through these days, I really don't mind if there is less content  from a show I love. I look at long seasons and I get intimidated nowadays. Do I really want to slog though all of this? Give me short bursts of quality, and I get my fix. 

Agree... 6 slightly too short. I'd be happy with an 8-episode season, though. Any longer and the idea of securing Anderson and Duchovny becomes more difficult, I'd imagine. Not that  anything beyond the current six is more than a rumor at present. Signs are good though!

Quality over quantity, any day.

Sim   

I'm a hopeless die-hard nostalgic ... despite all my love for top-notch modern drama shows, as much as I love serialized brilliancy as from "The Wire" or "Breaking Bad" ... I still just want the good old 90s back.

That means favorite shows with lots of new episodes, even when most of them weren't top notch. But you could love them all the same, even when they were campy, or just because they were.

The X-Files originally were such a series for me. I guess upon first watching, I didn't even care about half the episodes. Many were rather bad. But that didn't bother me. I still developed a deep nostalgic attachment to it.

Part of me just wants a huge load of questionable-quality satisfaction of just that nostalgia. I'm fine with it when the X-Files just stay good enough to persist and justify themselves in this day and age ... anything else I'm fine with. That's the price of keeping it on air.

Who needs quality, when you got satisfaction of nostalgia? ;)

Edited by Sim

kenman   

Older shows that I have loved for years (like Trek shows and classic Doctor Who), I don't mind sifting through all the stuff. I mean I spent my college days just watching tons of Doctor Who and watching every episode of Star Trek...but these days, for new shows....I just don't want to commit to 22 weeks. I get distracted, have a whole life to deal with (as we all do), and then I get behind, and it becomes a chore to try and catch up and avoid spoilers. So I have become far more attracted to shorter seasons that favor quality of quantity.  It just suits my lifestyle.  Maybe in 60 years when I am aloud to retire, I will just sit around spending my retirement watching 22 episode long season shows, but for now...shows that keep it short and simple are my bread and butter.

Sim   

Older shows that I have loved for years (like Trek shows and classic Doctor Who), I don't mind sifting through all the stuff. I mean I spent my college days just watching tons of Doctor Who and watching every episode of Star Trek...but these days, for new shows....I just don't want to commit to 22 weeks. I get distracted, have a whole life to deal with (as we all do), and then I get behind, and it becomes a chore to try and catch up and avoid spoilers. So I have become far more attracted to shorter seasons that favor quality of quantity.  It just suits my lifestyle.  Maybe in 60 years when I am aloud to retire, I will just sit around spending my retirement watching 22 episode long season shows, but for now...shows that keep it short and simple are my bread and butter.

Generally, I agree... on the other side, the new format of 10-13 episode seasons common these days, really isn't much, when you think of it. When binge watching, I easily make a season of such a show on three or four nights, when it really thrills me. And that's no problem, even despite all the life I have. ;)

For example, I made the first season of "Better Call Saul" on BD on four nights. Or "Man in the High Castle" on two. That were four hours per night for the latter, which isn't really so much. It's just the amount of free time I currently have every night, even on busier days, between my daughter going to bed and having to go to bed myself.

Now I can't do that every night, but there are only so many shows I watch per year anyway. Maybe a dozen nights per year spent in this manner? No problem.

But yes, agreed, 22 episodes is too much. 13 is fine, though, IMO.

kenman   

Generally, I agree... on the other side, the new format of 10-13 episode seasons common these days, really isn't much, when you think of it. When binge watching, I easily make a season of such a show on three or four nights, when it really thrills me. And that's no problem, even despite all the life I have. ;)

For example, I made the first season of "Better Call Saul" on BD on four nights. Or "Man in the High Castle" on two. That were four hours per night for the latter, which isn't really so much. It's just the amount of free time I currently have every night, even on busier days, between my daughter going to bed and having to go to bed myself.

Now I can't do that every night, but there are only so many shows I watch per year anyway. Maybe a dozen nights per year spent in this manner? No problem.

But yes, agreed, 22 episodes is too much. 13 is fine, though, IMO.

I like a good 13 episode run. If it is a bit shorter, that is usually fine too. 6 for a comedy or something is fine.  For a show like the X-Files?  Seems a bit rushed. 

Just watched Babylon: 

--Im noticing a maturity in the writing, a seasoned and confident thoughtfulness that comes, I think, from the stage of life of the writers. All these episodes have been more emotional and wordy (both good things) than what we saw in the original 9 seasons, which were pretty emotional and wordy to being with. Carter and crew are clearly thrilled to be working through some of their musings on life and death and politics on screen, and I think it's just great. Very literary.  

--I appreciate that Carter, who wrote and directed this one, did not shy away from depicting Islamic terrorism as both Islamic and evil. I think right now the knee jerk reaction in Hollywood, and amongst liberals generally, is to depict Islam as a religion of peace, and to shy away from any depiction to the contrary. After the teaser, I was fully expecting the show to suggest that some paranormal Something cause the explosion, and the nice Muslim boys were framed. But by admitting that the boys were motivated to kill by the words of their religion, by depicting the love and betrayal of the mother, and widening the angle to the nature of good and evil and God's role in all this, the episode became about much more than the tired political debate. 

--Last week, when I heard about Miller and Einstein, I was genuinely worried about the Doggett/Reyes situation being repeated. But that is not what Carter was doing at all. Not only was the scheme a great episode narrative frame. Carter was showing how wise and just damn good at their jobs Scully and Mulder are by having them manipulate the younger agents to solve the case without them doing anything. Both Miller and Einstein repeated that line at the end: I didn't really do anything... But then Mulder and Scully said the same thing. So who was manipulating them to save all those people? God, of course. Like Scully said, they need to be like the Old Testament prophets and listen... I'm continually struck by the circles within circles of meaning within these new episodes. Going to let some time pass and re-watch them closely. 

--Finally, I wish the Lone Gunnmen had some lines. But otherwise, the dream sequence was great fun.     

Sim   

I'm continually struck by the circles within circles of meaning within these new episodes. Going to let some time pass and re-watch them closely. 

It's amazing, isn't it? Really strong stuff.

Now looking forward to tonights episode (which, depending on the family situation, I might not be able to watch right away the moment it's online).

I'm continually struck by the circles within circles of meaning within these new episodes. Going to let some time pass and re-watch them closely. 

Now looking forward to tonights episode (which, depending on the family situation, I might not be able to watch right away the moment it's online).

I can't watch it until next weekend so I won't be able to participate in the discussion until then. I admit that I am worried about it. Based on My Struggle, I am not sold on Mulder's new theory. It is one thing to go along with an alien invasion story, which is one impossible thing brought to life through story. It might be a step too far for viewers to go along with two impossible things: Aliens visited earth, which inspired an a-political/ a-historical cabal of would-be dictators to steal alien technology to take over the world. So now we are supposed to accept that Smoking Man was not a State Department operative who was faced with an impossible choice of trying to save humanity from an all-powerful alien force, but that Smoking Man was basically a James Bond super villain. I will withhold judgement until we see how Carter depicts all of this. But I am worried.       

Sim   

I can't watch it until next weekend so I won't be able to participate in the discussion until then. I admit that I am worried about it. Based on My Struggle, I am not sold on Mulder's new theory. It is one thing to go along with an alien invasion story, which is one impossible thing brought to life through story. It might be a step too far for viewers to go along with two impossible things: Aliens visited earth, which inspired an a-political/ a-historical cabal of would-be dictators to steal alien technology to take over the world. So now we are supposed to accept that Smoking Man was not a State Department operative who was faced with an impossible choice of trying to save humanity from an all-powerful alien force, but that Smoking Man was basically a James Bond super villain. I will withhold judgement until we see how Carter depicts all of this. But I am worried.       

Even if the final episode sucks, so hard it sucks my brain out even, I'd still consider the restart a success. Two brilliant episodes, one pretty damn good and two okay ones... that's a bilance even one dud cannot drag down. :)

(And then, I always used to be more a "Monster of the Week" fan than a mythology person, so, I can live with a not-so-brilliant new mythology.)

Edited by Sim

Agree... 6 slightly too short. I'd be happy with an 8-episode season, though. Any longer and the idea of securing Anderson and Duchovny becomes more difficult, I'd imagine. Not that  anything beyond the current six is more than a rumor at present. Signs are good though!

Quality over quantity, any day.A

8-12 would be ideal. But 6 is fine. After seeing these new episodes, I think the best change I could hope for would be to extend the length of the individual episodes. 44 minutes is too short for the kinds of stories that have been told this season. All of the episodes have basically been two episodes crammed into one. If each episode was the length of a Sherlock episode, about 90 minutes, then they would be better served. Episodes of Sherlock usually have two stories merged together. These new X-Files have about as much going on as a Sherlock episode, but crammed into 44 minutes. X-Files could only extend its running time if they went entirely to streaming, and based on the ratings that is not likely to happen. 

Sim   

Just watched "My Struggle II".

Guess I have to rewatch and really let it sink in. But my first impression is not bad ... main problem is that it is a full cliffhanger. Not a half-solved one, or a cliffhanger where just some questions remain unanswered, but a full cliffhanger that ends right in the middle of the action. So I find it hard to give a judgment before having seen the conclusion, and if it's convincing.

Certainly it was fast-paced, so it never got boring. At times, I felt there was too much far-fetched pseudo-science "technobubble", like when it comes to medical stuff. But the threat felt real and genuine, so its basic premise worked for me. Some shots, like the chaos on the streets, was truly chilling, IMO.

But ... the story about a global infection disaster is a total rip-off of the brilliant season 2 cliffhanger of "Chris Carter's Millennium" from 1998! Guess Carter thought nobody still remembers this little gem of a show, that never was popular to begin with, in 2016.

And back on "Millennium", that cliffhanger never got a satisfactory conclusion -- by season 3, a new production team had taken over the series, so they decided to undo the cliffhanger beginning with subpar season 3, by claiming it had all just been a small local incident and otherwise pretending it never happened.

Nice to see Lauren Ambrose was back as Agent Einstein. And Annabeth Gish as Agent Reyes. Both with the potential of a future reappearance. As for Einstein and her partner, maybe they're growing them as future replacements for Mulder and Scully afterall? They're pretty central to the story, even in this mythology episode.

At any rate, I think "My Struggle II" stands or falls with its conclusion, which has yet to be produced.

Edited by Sim

kenman   

Just watched this finale, and as Sim said...it is a big FAT cliffhanger! I'm glad the mini-series did well both critically and in the ratings, makes it seem likely that we will get more...because they can't just leave us like that, right?

SPOILERS POSSIBLY AHEAD.

I like Einstein and all...but why were they in this one in the beginning?  They are just sort of involved from the get go for no real reason I could discern, other than the script needed them to be.  That said...whatever. As for Reyes...I never liked her character, which was equal parts I thought she was badly written and I didn't think Gish was a very good actress.  Nothing changed my opinion, because now she as written as a Smoking Man henchman for some reason and Gish still delivered her lines like she has never spoken to another human before. I dunno what it is about her delivery...but it is stiff and awkward and I just find her irritating to watch on screen.

The episode moved at a fast pace, it was decent, it had some good ideas. But oddly enough I think the episodes that did the least for me this whole mini-series all ended up being the ones written by Chris Carter.  The three written by other classic writers were decent to great...Carter's stuff has been okay...but I didn't enjoy them on the same level.  I think the truth is that Season 6 wrapped up the mythology, and since then nothing mythology related ever truly lived up to that ending.  It all felt superfluous.  The search for Mulder was a decent replacement for a bit...but it still wasn't as intriguing. The stuff they've relaunched with has some potential I guess...but in some ways it still doesn't feel as intriguing as that original stuff was.  Maybe if I revisit this stuff it will capture my imagination more.  

I'm curious to see where they'd take this, but I also find it a tad disappointing that it ended like this...although it does make me wonder if a plan for more seasons like this has been in the works from the get go.

But man...I just don't like Reyes or Gish, I get why she was in this (however briefly), but I just think she sucks me right out of it.  At least Reyes wasn't portrayed as totally good and Mary Sue-ish anymore...as she has sort of turned to the darkside, but she still can't act!

Sim   

Just watched this finale, and as Sim said...it is a big FAT cliffhanger! I'm glad the mini-series did well both critically and in the ratings, makes it seem likely that we will get more...because they can't just leave us like that, right?

SPOILERS POSSIBLY AHEAD.

I like Einstein and all...but why were they in this one in the beginning?  They are just sort of involved from the get go for no real reason I could discern, other than the script needed them to be.  That said...whatever. As for Reyes...I never liked her character, which was equal parts I thought she was badly written and I didn't think Gish was a very good actress.  Nothing changed my opinion, because now she as written as a Smoking Man henchman for some reason and Gish still delivered her lines like she has never spoken to another human before. I dunno what it is about her delivery...but it is stiff and awkward and I just find her irritating to watch on screen.

The episode moved at a fast pace, it was decent, it had some good ideas. But oddly enough I think the episodes that did the least for me this whole mini-series all ended up being the ones written by Chris Carter.  The three written by other classic writers were decent to great...Carter's stuff has been okay...but I didn't enjoy them on the same level.  I think the truth is that Season 6 wrapped up the mythology, and since then nothing mythology related ever truly lived up to that ending.  It all felt superfluous.  The search for Mulder was a decent replacement for a bit...but it still wasn't as intriguing. The stuff they've relaunched with has some potential I guess...but in some ways it still doesn't feel as intriguing as that original stuff was.  Maybe if I revisit this stuff it will capture my imagination more.  

I'm curious to see where they'd take this, but I also find it a tad disappointing that it ended like this...although it does make me wonder if a plan for more seasons like this has been in the works from the get go.

But man...I just don't like Reyes or Gish, I get why she was in this (however briefly), but I just think she sucks me right out of it.  At least Reyes wasn't portrayed as totally good and Mary Sue-ish anymore...as she has sort of turned to the darkside, but she still can't act!

I never disliked Reyes as you seem to do, and always found her acting just fine (never remotely as bad as the pinnacle of terrible acting that's Kate Mulgrew for me, for example) but I totally love her "turn to the dark side". This idea has a lot of potential, IMO.

As for the Carter written stories, I found episode 5 "Babylon" absolutely brilliant. Perhaps even the best of the miniseries and among the top 5 of all 208 episodes. That said, Darin Morgan is just amazing, of course... but his self-parodies wouldn't work without the "normal" episodes they make fun of.

The cliffhanger is sufficiently open-ended -- an UFO taking Mulder, Scully and Agents Whatshisname with them, while thr world around sinks into chaos -- that *anything* could happen. It might also open the door for a huge big-budget movie, in case a new tv season isn't greenlit for whatever reason. Even a takeover by Einstein and her partner is possible at that point, though I doubt they'd do that after the bad experience with an attempted restart in season 9; would certainly be a stupid thing to do.

Edited by Sim