prometheus59650

X-Files Returns

307 posts in this topic

I never really watched the X-Files but found it interesting that my wifes maiden name was Gillian Anderson ...

I have reservations based on what Season 9 was, and what Season 7 had been before (say what you will about Season 8, it shook things up and I think it gave the show its energy back for a season). Then the second movie was so bland and forgettable...but maybe it can return to form with an intriguing 6 episode story.

Or it will stink. Either way I'm intrigued to return, maybe they can redeem the series by giving it a new proper ending.

I have reservations based on what Season 9 was, and what Season 7 had been before (say what you will about Season 8, it shook things up and I think it gave the show its energy back for a season). Then the second movie was so bland and forgettable...but maybe it can return to form with an intriguing 6 episode story.

Or it will stink. Either way I'm intrigued to return, maybe they can redeem the series by giving it a new proper ending.

That's my biggest hope...that it's a better resolution to the series than what we actually got. Perhaps in the midst of a new story or just within the old mythos, but the series finale and the last film were pretty disappointing.

That's my biggest hope...that it's a better resolution to the series than what we actually got. Perhaps in the midst of a new story or just within the old mythos, but the series finale and the last film were pretty disappointing.

Me too. I think it was begging for a better resolution. That second movie was a real letdown. But - when the X-Files was great, it was great and it undoubtedly opened the doors to more genre TV. And more procedurals, too.

Six episodes - a mini-series, certainly, but I wonder how long each episode is intended to be...

So, color me cautiously optimistic.

Me too. I think it was begging for a better resolution. That second movie was a real letdown. But - when the X-Files was great, it was great and it undoubtedly opened the doors to more genre TV. And more procedurals, too.

Six episodes - a mini-series, certainly, but I wonder how long each episode is intended to be...

Would be shocked if they weren't each an hour.

Was wondering if they might not each be feature-length if it's such an "event".

I was very let down by the last movie (and the last few seasons, to be honest).

I used to love that show (the first five years and first movie, anyway), but I'm not sure if I outgrew it or the show changed into something I no longer enjoyed.

Either way, I'm not terribly enthused, truth be told. For me, the show already lasted about 4 seasons too long; another six episodes is kind of like saying goodbye for six hours....

Was wondering if they might not each be feature-length if it's such an "event".

I'd say probably not, just a 6-hour mini.

Want I wanna see in this new X-Files series ?

2 words GILLIAN ANDERSON.

Really.

Gillian_Anderson_2013_(cropped).jpg

For me, the series lasted two seasons too long: Sure, its peak was the second to fourth or maybe fifth season, and #6 and #7 were a bit weak already ... but still decent enough for me to care.

IMO, the season 7 finale would have made a perfect series finale: Mulder appropriately abducted by aliens(?), many questions remain unanswered. This would have been great.

Season 8 and 9 were maybe technically and creatively not bad, but I simply didn't care anymore; X-Files without Mulder is like a hamburger without any meat. And many stories in these seasons were just way too far-fetched for me to care, especially the M/S crap. The 2008 movie was not any better, IMO.

But the X-Files are one of my favorite shows of my teenage years, so if the new episodes are just half as good as the best of the old, I'll be satisfied.

For me, the series lasted two seasons too long: Sure, its peak was the second to fourth or maybe fifth season, and #6 and #7 were a bit weak already ... but still decent enough for me to care.

IMO, the season 7 finale would have made a perfect series finale: Mulder appropriately abducted by aliens(?), many questions remain unanswered. This would have been great.

^

THAT would've been amazing! The truth is always... out there. Damn, I love that!

Want I wanna see in this new X-Files series ?

2 words GILLIAN ANDERSON.

And yes, Gillian Anderson was a serious crush o' mine back in my bachelor days too, Gus (and she's still lovely)... but even she is not enough to get me to care after that last movie.

They will most likely be an hour, I'm basing this on the event series based on 24 last year.

See season 6 had some issues, but season 7 was boring with an intriguing ending. Season 8 shook things up with Doggit and he grew on me, and Milder returned and it became awesome. I actually think of season 8's finale as the real finale...because Mulder and Sculu get an end and the X-files will continue under Doggit and Reyes...I was satisfied.

Season 9 kind of hurt that ending, and was badly concieved and written, with a bad finale to boot.

The last movie was...........well...............crap.

What was Chris Carter thinking ? That second movie has a very low-budget feel and it did nothing about the characters and the mythology of the series.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

The last movie was...........well...............crap.

What was Chris Carter thinking ? That second movie has a very low-budget feel and it did nothing about the characters and the mythology of the series.

Gus

The latter was the problem for me. I don't care if Carter shot it with a handcam and the actors just did scenes in their free time. It was completely divorced from the mythos. Any other actors in it and it'd just have been a standard serial killer potboiler.

Dang, that second movie was pointless, wasn't it? It was really difficult to care, and that was a waste of both the characters and the mythology, let alone the actors.

Re: season 8 and 9, I quite liked John Doggett and Reyes. It reminded me a little of the episode in the 60s show The Invaders when the main guy, David Vincent, realizes he is not alone any more, he has people to help him fight the alien invasion. It's true that they should've ended it with season 8.

I wonder if Skinner will be back? Not that I want the script to just satisfy a shopping list of expectations.

I've said it before and I will say it here again....the second movie was actually a decent movie if you take away the 'X-Files' title.....because it has nothing to do with X-Files at all.

But when you have it like it attached like it was, it makes no point, or sense.

Skinner you say?

1zQVZAf.jpg

I'm gonna run out of pictures soon! lol

I've said it before and I will say it here again....the second movie was actually a decent movie if you take away the 'X-Files' title.....because it has nothing to do with X-Files at all.

I agree. Had it been just some low rent serial killer yarn with Ian Ziering and Tara Reid it might have been servicable on its own. But not as an X-Files movie.

Nice one, Kieron! Mitch Pileggi - d'man!

I always liked Skinner. The whole "Is a friend or isn't he?" in the first couple of seasons was great.

Hmm, maybe Carter'll go all subversive on us and make him the baddie of this mini-series...

I agree. Had it been just some low rent serial killer yarn with Ian Ziering and Tara Reid it might have been servicable on its own. But not as an X-Files movie.

That's exactly the problem - it's a serviceable story, all right, and might've worked as a standalone episode somewhere in season 5 or 6, but it wasn't a tale worthy of telling in an X-Files movie. It was disappointing. People have issues with the first film, Fight the Future as not really being able to stand on its own two feet without watching the TV seasons either side of it, but it was very entertaining and was certainly epic. Any follow-up didn't necessarily have to be as huge in scope, but it could've at least addressed some of the questions left hanging at the end of the very unsatisfying conclusion of the TV show. I recall reading Carter wanted to do a "monster of the week" movie, but it seemed wrong-headed and deliberately obtuse.

(I should say "original TV show" at this point, maybe.)

I always liked Skinner. The whole "Is a friend or isn't he?" in the first couple of seasons was great.

Hmm, maybe Carter'll go all subversive on us and make him the baddie of this mini-series...

I really don't know. Skinner was effectively brought over to "the light" during the show. They would have to really make a convincing turning for his to be a beliavable turn coat.

I really don't know. Skinner was effectively brought over to "the light" during the show. They would have to really make a convincing turning for his to be a beliavable turn coat.

I'm just playing devil's advocate. I hope they don't do that. I'd like to see Skinner back, but at the same time, I hope they don't shoehorn the character in for the sake of it. I hope they concentrate on giving us something that works in its own right and bookends the original show in a satisfying way, unlike that last movie. And even the latter TV seasons. Capture the spirit of seasons 1 - 6, and we're laughing.

And yes, get in Darin Morgan, Frank Spotnitz. What are Glem Morgan and James Wong up to these days? See, now I want a school reunion. No. I take it back. Just write a great six episodes, someone.