CaptainMurphy

USS Enterprise (Refit) Unity 5 Test Scene

13 posts in this topic

When I started in Unity last year I used some free models from http://www.trekmeshes.ch/ to begin understanding some of the lighting and material concepts in Unity 4. Since then I have learned quite a bit and also found that I still had some of those old projects in my folders so I decided to bring them up to date in Unity 5f4.

Image Gallery

Working running lights (this is an older version, the thrusters no longer blink, lol):

A5pUb5v.gif

It is a model made for exterior viewing so it really isn't very detailed inside. The camera effects I was going for was just past The Motion Picture but not quite JJ Abrams level.

I have done a few updates in the past couple of days:

• Added ship control, can now fly it around
  • Added camera types that can be cycled through
  • Added a couple sounds and theme music
  • Added F1 help for all keys
  • Added the code to open/close shuttlebay doors
  • Screenshot code is a bit faster
  • Changed how mouse view works (must hold mouse 2 to change view/location of camera)
  • Redid some of the interior lighting
  • Fixed running lights to match The Motion Picture
  • Controls changed so that velocity forward will reduce maneuverability
  • Cameras modified. They still need some work. Sometimes they go batty.
  • Added firing torpedoes.
You can download a playable scene here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4axou7t1glc6vl/Enterprise Refit Showcase 1.0.17.zip?dl=0

Assets Used:

Meshes from http://www.trekmeshes.ch/

SSAO Pro

Space Scene Construction Kit (for background and clouds/particles during flying)

All scripts programmed by me so far

I have quite a few plans for the scene over the next few months, but since it is just a side project it will take some time to do. I am more than welcome to hear some suggestions or corrections. I have had quite a bit of find finding good references to work on, including just watching some of the movies over again and many minutes of pausing and replaying sections to try and get things right. Hope you enjoy!

Looks very nice all around. :)

Good stuff! I like the final one with the Enterprise maneuvering in space.

That's pretty cool. Looks terrific!

I've been thinking of adding in some basic ship functions like damage zones and such but wanted to get some ideas and some feedback first. I have a basic understanding of ship systems but it seems like it changes per episode sometimes on how things work. My thought was to have the ships power plant (primary and aux) able to output X amount of energy per second, some of which would go into a emergency system that is something like a giant capacitor. Anytime the plant power exceeds usage it will charge the emergency system and if needs exceed the plant it will draw from there to make up the difference.

Now for shields, those seem to be a per-episode mystery to me. Sometimes they stop all damage, sometimes they don't. My thoughts were that each attack would have a certain count for what kind of damage it does (energy, kinetic, explosion, etc) and shields would be designed to stop X amount of each kind. Say that an energy beam hits a shield and that shield is 100% effect under a certain power level and 75% effective for things higher than that threshold then it would stop that percent of damage from making it through, and that would then make it to the hull where secondary armor or polarization would then be used. Some kinds would be stopped immediately by the shields but as the shield level drops it would have a higher chance of passing damage through to the hull. I figure keeping it simple helps with the design aspect, plus making it too complicated just leads to issues down the road.

Thats great ! When we did the remastered fan edit of STAR TREK V THE FINAL FRONTIER in 2013, we also used a USS Enterprise1701-A model from http://www.Trekmeshes.ch in this case the Enterprise model done by Eric Petersen and a shuttlecraft and Bird-of Prey done by Wil Jaspers. Wil created an impresive Sha-Ka-Ree planet mesh for us, which match the FX done by Associates & Ferren in incredible detail. Overall, t was a very positive experience working with PhineasBg and Wil Jaspers - a mutual friend in fandom delivered a DVD copy of our STAR TREK V to William Shatner.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

Thats great ! When we did the remastered fan edit of STAR TREK V THE FINAL FRONTIER in 2013, we also used a USS Enterprise1701-A model from http://www.Trekmeshes.ch in this case the Enterprise model done by Eric Petersen and a shuttlecraft and Bird-of Prey done by Wil Jaspers. Wil created an impresive Sha-Ka-Ree planet mesh for us, which match the FX done by Associates & Ferren in incredible detail. Overall, t was a very positive experience working with PhineasBg and Wil Jaspers - a mutual friend in fandom delivered a DVD copy of our STAR TREK V to William Shatner.

Gus

Still like your team's 'great barrier' FX much far better than the actual movie version.

I think the warp effect Wil done for the the Nimbus III departure sequence to be flawless and so much better than the 2-D version done by Bran Ferren. It was a so positive experience for me, I learned to love those guys and anyone involved in shaping FX for the movie industry. Wil Jaspers, of course, has done the FX for various projects, including Star Trek Of Gods and Men, a favorite fan production I adore.

Well, now back to my trip vacation to my family's farm, talk to you guys next week. Thank you so much.

Gus

The barrier FX are terrific indeed.

Have a great vacation, Gus!

Apropos of nothing: watching that clip above, I'm reminded of how Star Trek V had the most attractive Romulan ever. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course...

The barrier FX are terrific indeed.

Have a great vacation, Gus!

Apropos of nothing: watching that clip above, I'm reminded of how Star Trek V had the most attractive Romulan ever. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course...

Which reminds me of a question I have about her...

* runs over to STV thread.... *

Latest update to the particle effect library. This is a test of the starfield at 'warp'. The actual velocity is the same as when at an impulse speed (real Z speed seen in bottom corner) but the particles are created by a 'warp' flag. When at impulse you have the smaller particles and space fog, but warp is a clean version that only allows straight line flight.

Here are a couple of pics of the 'going to warp' effect trails:

gMnPu.png

gMnuS.png

The full effect will be requiring some impulse power, then doing a 'warm up' where the engines sound ramps up then pushes the ship to warp. The trails will appear for about a second or so behind the ship while the stars begin to appear and stretch. As the stars effect comes in, the trail will go away.

Edited by CaptainMurphy

I am a member at trekmeshes.ch . Not been active there in s long time, but I have a few renders posted there in the gallery under this same username.

A bit of an update. The warp effects are coming together, now time to work on de-warp effects to make the stretched stars slow back down before disappearing.