Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

The First Super Hero from the Screen

Tonights DVD : THE ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL (1941) the first super hero movie serial is still the best. Great casting (an amazing Tom Tyler plays a perfect Captain Marvel) and the special effects were great for that time (!). Watch the 12 episodes below and have a great time (my dad loved Captain Marvel when he was just a child living in small town). Have fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdElOYs9kWo&list=PLyr0bSOkRSWdXW_x-gcaLvEOfgg1wY00i

21686137_10214487418438427_4215549580657[

21687989_10214487418278423_1789058905229

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

I saw the first episode of this serial a couple years ago an enjoyed it, just didn't have the time to continue. Someday I will have to watch the whole thing when I have time and the right mood. I love old serials, the three Flash Gordon serials starring Buster Crabbe are great!

I love the FLASH GORDON serials starring Buster Crabble, too, he wss perfect for the role (and Crabble also played BUCK ROGERS after he did the FLASH serials, which is cool because I love both heroes).

Flash_Gordon_(serial).jpg

The Flash Gordon strips by Alex Raymond from the 1930s must be the most awesome art I have ever saw in my life. A must have for comics fans.

Gus

I love the FLASH GORDON serials starring Buster Crabble, too, he wss perfect for the role (and Crabble also played BUCK ROGERS after he did the FLASH serials, which is cool because I love both heroes).

Flash_Gordon_(serial).jpg

The Flash Gordon strips by Alex Raymond from the 1930s must be the most awesome art I have ever saw in my life. A must have for comics fans.

Gus

I've not yet seen the Buck Rogers he did, but it is on my list (admittedly, my list is ridiculously long).

Mine too. Other serials of note : BATMAN (1943), CAPTAIN AMERICA (1944) and Fleisher SUPERMAN cartoons.

11042966_10206079978977695_5682451604669

Watching those serials again, remastered for DVD, is so much fun !

Gus

Mine too. Other serials of note : BATMAN (1943), CAPTAIN AMERICA (1944) and Fleisher SUPERMAN cartoons.

11042966_10206079978977695_5682451604669

Watching those serials again, remastered for DVD, is so much fun !

Gus

I've seen both Batman serials, they don't hold up so well. I've not seen Captain America. I love the Fleischer Superman cartoons, I love the art deco robots and such. I actually used footage from the first Fleisher Superman cartoon for a video porject I did in college. Have you seen the Superman serials starring Kirk Alyn? I actually enjoyed those as well. I think for old timey live-action Superman, I prefer Alyn to George Reeves. Though neither are as good as Christopher reeve eventally was.

I liked both SUPERMAN serials with KIrk Alyn, but I must confess thta I adored George Reeves in the role, the 2 first seasons of ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN were great stuff.

91cY8zHeZ4S._SL1500_.jpg

My favorite Superman wiill always be Chris Reeve RIP, but I liked George Reeves as Superman a lot. His Clark Kent was a badass dude, too.

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

I liked both SUPERMAN serials with KIrk Alyen, must I must confess thta I adored George REeves in the role, the 2 first seasons of ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN were great stuff.

91cY8zHeZ4S._SL1500_.jpg

My favorite Superman wiill always be Chris Reeve, but I liked Geoirge Reeves as Superman a lot. His Clark Kent is a badass dude, too.

Gus

I admittedly haven't seen too much of Reeves' show. I've seen the Mole Man movie, and an episode here and there. I remember seeing it as a kid on Nick at Nite but I don't remember much about it. I have seen some of that show recently, since it was added to a local retro TV channel's Saturday Night Line-Up, which also has Batman, Wonder woman, and Star Trek.

The first 2 seasons of ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN were very good - they have really adult and darker episodes and George Reeves was really great in the role.

But when the show went from black and white to color in the third season, the producers decided to turn in in a kids, juvenile show and ruined it.

But yeah, the two Kirk Alyn serials was good enough for me, although Superman turned into a cartoon when he flies (no kidding !)

Gus

The first 2 seasons of ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN were very good - they have really adult and darker episodes and George Reeves was really great in the role.

But when the show went from black and white to color in the third season, the producers decided to turn in in a kids, juvenile show and ruined it.

But yeah, the two Kirk Alyn serials was good enough for me, although Superman turned into a cartoon when he flies (no kidding !)

Gus

I'll have to check those out someday. The cartoon flying is the only unfortunate part of those serials. So cheap!

I'm a bigger fan of the Batman character, yet a lesser fan of his serials. That first one suffers from some World War II anti-Japanese propaganda, which is a bit tasteless. The second one is a weaker story and isn't the kind of historical oddity that the first one was.

Agreed. Even the Fleisher SUPERMAN cartoons have some World War II anti-Japanese propaganda. Justw atched "The Eleventh Hour" below.

But the BATMAN serials were interesting, nevertheless.

Next thing I will be watching is the Filmation SUPERMAN cartoons from 1967. I remember watching them when I was a kid by the same time the first Christopher Reeve movie opened on the big screen.

Gus

Yea its sad that a government and Hollywood teamed up to indoctrinate kids by infiltrating their entertainment with propaganda.

Nevertheless, it was cool to see these heroes fighting in World War II, specially Superman (or the "EARTH-2" Superman in this case). I really enjoyed the Justice Society "War" comics from the 1940s, before the "EARTH-1" universe.

item143718.1.jpg

Just my memories of a kid discovering comics in the 70s.

Gus

Shazam! Adventures of Captain Marvel Finally Getting Blu-ray Release

The best superhero movie you've never seen is getting a Blu-ray release in 2017. And here’s something awesome: Kino Lorber has announced their intention to release Republic’s complete Adventures of Captain Marvel (1941) 12-episode serial on Blu-ray and DVD next year. No street date has been given yet, but it should be amazing. I would love to see the company get their hands on the original Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials as well – a proper Blu-ray release of those in restored HD could be special indeed.

Sign in to follow this