kenman

The Movie Posters

77 posts in this topic

1zpnofs.jpg

Designed by Spiros Angelikas and illustrated by Bob Peak. This piece is probably the largest piece Peak illustrated.

DH

Edited by DirtyHarry

I also have about a dozen never before seen comps that my father and Bob Peak put together. I'll try and upload some of them as well for you guys to see.The posters look great...but seeing the actual illustrated images up close is breathtaking. I'm one lucky SOB to be able to admire these things all day. Some of my guests don't leave my house because it's like a museaum! I even have a title treatment for "The Vengeance of Kahn"...done before the title was changed to "Wrath"....ENJOY!!

315esed.jpg

Edited by DirtyHarry

117qmm8.jpg

2ipvd.jpg

142e80o.jpg

I have DOZENS more...if you guys care to see more, let me know and I will toss them up. You will find some of these pieces for sale at the annual art show in San Diego in a few weeks.

Harry

Beautiful collection Harry!

How about this? This is the ORIGINAL illustration for "The Search for Spock". The art does not contain the ship or title treatment...back in the day, those were done on separate sheets of acetate. I was going to throw this up for auction, a private buyer contacted me after his death and wanted it....butvI didn't have the heart to sell it. I can't imagine a more iconic piece of art paying tribute to the infamous "Spock". I have hundreds of pieces of original motion picture art. This is one of my favorite pieces. Someone who worked for me has a gallery now and he is offering some crazy numbers for it, so I might let it go. I would rather it go to the hands of a die hard Trek/Spock fan like myself. If you are interested, PM me. I also have several other pieces that include Spock that were illustrated by the infamous, Bob Peak....and designed by my father, Spiros Angelikas. Let me know...

a5jcr9.jpg

Planning on buying a house, and recently decided that when I do, I will be purchasing the poster for Search for Spock (it was between that and the Motion Picture). I enjoy the artwork the most for those two movies. I was curious to see how others rated the posters, disregarding the movies they represent and just looking at the posters for each movie. What is you favorite, what do you think is the worst? Just curious how others might rank them.

My personal favorites are the Search for Spock (Something about that blue and pink Spock painting I just really love), the Motion Picture's poster is pretty great, I also like the artwork for the Final Frontier (even if it is possibly my least favorite movie). The posters I don't like Star Trek Nemesis, and the two Abrams movies, which all rely a little too much on standard photoshop poster tropes. I do like the orriginal blue and Gold teaser poster for 2009's film though.

So anybody else have thoughts on the film posters? Any you like, any you think look terrible? Just something I've been thinking about lately.

Beautiful collection Harry!

Thanks Sehlat!! Just a minor fraction of my collection...I will share more of it. :-)

Oh...and the piece I posted above for "The Search for Spock" was not illustrated by Peak. That piece was done by Gerard Huerta...and I believe the title was done by another artist if I'm not mistaken. I can ask Gerard as I know him...my father should know though.

Harry

How about this? This is the ORIGINAL illustration for "The Search for Spock". The art does not contain the ship or title treatment...back in the day, those were done on separate sheets of acetate. I was going to throw this up for auction, a private buyer contacted me after his death and wanted it....butvI didn't have the heart to sell it. I can't imagine a more iconic piece of art paying tribute to the infamous "Spock". I have hundreds of pieces of original motion picture art. This is one of my favorite pieces. Someone who worked for me has a gallery now and he is offering some crazy numbers for it, so I might let it go. I would rather it go to the hands of a die hard Trek/Spock fan like myself. If you are interested, PM me. I also have several other pieces that include Spock that were illustrated by the infamous, Bob Peak....and designed by my father, Spiros Angelikas. Let me know...

a5jcr9.jpg

Planning on buying a house, and recently decided that when I do, I will be purchasing the poster for Search for Spock (it was between that and the Motion Picture). I enjoy the artwork the most for those two movies. I was curious to see how others rated the posters, disregarding the movies they represent and just looking at the posters for each movie. What is you favorite, what do you think is the worst? Just curious how others might rank them.

My personal favorites are the Search for Spock (Something about that blue and pink Spock painting I just really love), the Motion Picture's poster is pretty great, I also like the artwork for the Final Frontier (even if it is possibly my least favorite movie). The posters I don't like Star Trek Nemesis, and the two Abrams movies, which all rely a little too much on standard photoshop poster tropes. I do like the orriginal blue and Gold teaser poster for 2009's film though.

So anybody else have thoughts on the film posters? Any you like, any you think look terrible? Just something I've been thinking about lately.

I like that Spock poster, but it is the Blue/Pink poster I truly love.

Hmmm....blue and pink one. From which movie? Not sure if I have that one. The poster...for sure, not sure about the original though. Let me know and I'll see if my old man has it.

Harry

This one:

Star-Trek-III-The-Search-For-Spock-poste

That is nice, Tom...Bob Peak's son has that one. A fine piece indeed. I have a comp that is similar, but it is not the key art. I actually like the glass/crystal head of Spock the best...and it's not even Peak's. If you want it, I can find out what the asking price is...

Harry

This one:

Star-Trek-III-The-Search-For-Spock-poste

That is nice, Tom...Bob Peak's son has that one. A fine piece indeed. I have a comp that is similar, but it is not the key art. I actually like the glass/crystal head of Spock the best...and it's not even Peak's. If you want it, I can find out what the asking price is...

Harry

Oh no thanks. At the moment I just bought a house and I'm not making any unneccesary purchases.

Good luck with the new house...if you are ever interested, I know where to find it.

Harry

Harry, once again; many thanks for sharing the collection here on Trekcore/OS!

It's like Christmas... :thumbup:

I will shoot everything again in high res and put it all in a separate thread to make it easier to view the collection...

Harry

I will shoot everything again in high res and put it all in a separate thread to make it easier to view the collection...

Harry

Feel free to post them here, that's what this thread is for, a look at the posters!

Harry

Feel free to post them here, that's what this thread is for, a look at the posters!

OK....I can post them here. I only thought about msking a new thread because what I am sharing is art, some is key art that were used to make posters, other stuff is art that was never used before...just comps used to pitch different concepts. I have them in high res someplace...I just have to find them. I literally have hundreds of pieces of art from soooo many films. And the posters as well.

Harry

You should Google Mondo Posters, they are amazing alternatives to the mainstream ones.

This is my personal fav!

star-trek-2-mondo-poster.jpg

There is loads out there, the one for Space Seed is amazing as well (bit to big to post)

http://static.srcdn.com/slir/w1000-h1561-q90-c1000:1561/wp-content/uploads/star-trek-beyond-2016-poster.jpg

I really love this new poster for the latest film.  Even if the movie ends up not being any good...this is a great piece of Star Trek art in my opinion.  Much like that black and white image of the the Enterprise zooming at warp for the 2009 movie, this is a nice simple image that conveys the fun and adventure and energy of Star Trek...and yet it kind of has an elegant beauty to it!  I've seen some complain that it doesn't have the words Star Trek on it...but doesn't the image of the Enterprise convey STAR TREK more than almost any other image?  I think this poster is just the tops. 

And just for fun, here is a nice throwback poster they made for the fan event last night...a nice reference to the first film: 

http://cdn3-www.comingsoon.net/assets/uploads/gallery/star-trek-beyond/startrekbeyondposter.jpg

I love both of those... and it's nice to see TMP getting a little homage now and then.  ;)

I love both of those... and it's nice to see TMP getting a little homage now and then.  ;)

When you compare the bright image of the Enterprise soaring up to the Into Darkness poster of it crumbling and crashing...it seems like a deliberate tone change is being imprinted on us.  And we KNOW the ship is destroyed in the new flick , yet they have a poster that conveys a hopeful image...more than even the trailer, this poster makes me wanna actually go see this thing. 

The TMP homage is pretty lovely as well. I like that classic poster, so I am all for paying a little homage, especially at a fan event...rather than in the final official poster (I'd rather we get new art for official posters).