Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

Blade Runner Sequel

29 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I’m definitely planning a second viewing... and no damn soda, this time.  My old man’s bladder almost ruined the last half hour for me.  :laugh:

It kinda demands one. There's a lot to take in. Hell, Ford's expressions seeing "Rachael" were two pages of dialogue right there, and then the bitter, almost dead, "Her eyes were green."

14 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Finished my blog on BR2049 last night.

******* WARNING!  CHOCK FULL O’ SPOILERS!!! ******

https://musingsofamiddleagedgeek.blog/2017/10/09/a-sequel-thats-more-blade-runner-than-blade-runner/

I agree with your blog post all around, including that I like 2049 better than the original, and, for the same reason I'm okay with saying I like 2010 more than 2001: it's a much more coherent piece and I've found that I don't care for too much existentialism in my films.

12 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

I agree with your blog post all around, including that I like 2049 better than the original, and, for the same reason I'm okay with saying I like 2010 more than 2001: it's a much more coherent piece and I've found that I don't care for too much existentialism in my films.

2049 had a stronger sense of (insert irony here >) humanity about it, that was largely (intentionally) absent from the original.   It takes the whole BR idea to the next level, much as Empire Strikes Back did for Star Wars.   

My wife and I both plan to double-dip on this one.  Personally I’d be okay with triple-dipping on this one before it goes to DVD/Blu ray...

1 minute ago, Sehlat Vie said:

My wife and I both plan to double-dip on this one.  Personally I’d be okay with triple-dipping on this one before it goes to DVD/Blu ray...

I will definitely see this again.

And...lemme tell you...movies like that are why we finally got a 4K TV.

Holy, hell that movie looks like a master class in cinematography.

Mmmhmmm, this hat tastes nice.

Saw this today and... well, it's a masterpiece. I always have that mantra about fictional worlds - deepen them, widen them, don't explain too much but hook us with more mysteries, tell a story within them. If I have a (minor) criticism, it's that 2049 is a little long - a little self-indulgent with lingering beauty shots - but it seems churlish to go on about that when the overall result was so absorbing and satisfying. Roger Deakins did the cinematography. Deakins turns anything he touches to gold and is, IMHO, the greatest living cinematographer, and this film is his crowing achievement. Villeneuve knows what Deakins can do and just lets him loose and it's glorious.  

I found Jared Leto's Wallace to be the weakest element in a film full of superb, nuanced performances, but he's barely in it, so it's not like his scenes let the movie down much.  The rest of it... I'm still thinking about it, hours later. Damn, that doesn't happen much anymore. 

I love Blade Runner and really didn't want or need a sequel. I didn't want my memories and enjoyment of the original tarnished. (Which is the "original?" I'm not sure, but I think perhaps that's partially why that film impacted culture so hugely - the memory of it is imperfect because there are so many different versions to choose from.) 

I thought any follow-up might be a glossy love letter to Blade Runner, but I didn't expect BR 20149 to be a stone cold classic. This is the best possible surprise. I loved it. Villeneuve did it. It's not only a superb SF film that mediates upon identity, memory, the possibilities of the human species and its offspring, he delivered a sequel that surpasses its predecessor. 

14 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Mmmhmmm, this hat tastes nice.

Ate mine as well (along with a side order of humble pie) for a second time this morning... :P

15 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

If I have a (minor) criticism, it's that 2049 is a little long - a little self-indulgent with lingering beauty shots - but it seems churlish to go on about that when the overall result was so absorbing and satisfying. 

This was something I might rail against in a lesser movie, but my eyes and ears were so hungrily drinking in the universe and the spectacle that I wasn’t noticing the length.  I was honestly  spellbound.   This was the kind of pacing we saw (routinely) in the ‘70s and early ‘80s, and I found it genuinely refreshing.  

Frankly, I never thought I’d live long enough to see another big studio film paced like that ever again.

19 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

The rest of it... I'm still thinking about it, hours later. Damn, that doesn't happen much anymore. 

Twice in one week for me, and it’s been on my mind that whole time.  

19 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I found Jared Leto's Wallace to be the weakest element in a film full of superb, nuanced performances, but he's barely in it, so it's not like his scenes let the movie down much. 

His, I dare say, overacting (?) felt a bit at odds with everyone else.   

21 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I thought any follow-up might be a glossy love letter to Blade Runner, but I didn't expect BR 20149 to be a stone cold classic. This is the best possible surprise. I loved it. Villeneuve did it. It's not only a superb SF film that mediates upon identity, memory, the possibilities of the human species and its offspring, he delivered a sequel that surpasses its predecessor. 

From the second the credits began rolling when I first saw it last Sunday, I turned to my wife and said, “It may be early to say this, but I think I enjoyed this one more than the original.”   A week later and a second viewing, and I firmly believe that now; it genuinely surpasses the original in every measurable way.  The first movie roused my senses; this one really engaged my emotions.

9 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Ate mine as well (along with a side order of humble pie) for a second time this morning... :P

This was something I might rail against in a lesser movie, but my eyes and ears were so hungrily drinking in the universe and the spectacle that I wasn’t noticing the length.  I was honestly  spellbound.   This was the kind of pacing we saw (routinely) in the ‘70s and early ‘80s, and I found it genuinely refreshing.  

Frankly, I never thought I’d live long enough to see another big studio film paced like that ever again.

Twice in one week for me, and it’s been on my mind that whole time.  

His, I dare say, overacting (?) felt a bit at odds with everyone else.   

From the second the credits began rolling when I first saw it last Sunday, I turned to my wife and said, “It may be early to say this, but I think I enjoyed this one more than the original.”   A week later and a second viewing, and I firmly believe that now; it genuinely surpasses the original in every measurable way.  The first movie roused my senses; this one really engaged my emotions.

Well, I say it was a little long being mindful of what audiences are like nowadays, with breakneck pacing and editing in most Hollywood blockbusters. As the film finished, one member of a couple sat next to me groaned and said, "That was a loooong movie!" voicing an inner thought I was formulating.  But I really liked that Villeneuve took his time to unfold the story. The languid pacing mostly paid dividends. Occasionally I found it lingered a little too long, but this is a minor nit in something that, overall, I have to say is a triumph. 

Leto played Wallace like a standard b-movie evil dude - awful. Compare with Joe Turkel's avuncular trillionaire and his benignly offhand manner playing with life and sentience in the original, and you realize how one-note it is. But he's a minor blemish in a cast that, overall, was just spot-on. Everyone gets it just right. Robin Wright's policewoman boss, even though you're rooting for the truth to come out, you feel for her when she meets her demise via Luv - who gives Roy Batty more than a run for his money. Kudos to Sylvia Hoeks (I note she's also Dutch, as is Hauer! A continuity, even if unintended). Ford deserves plaudits for how much he makes Deckard so much more emotionally developed - he really picks it up from the final moments of the original story (whichever version).  Ana de Arma investing all that poignancy in Joi, a holographic girlfriend who is designed to please. There were some aspects of that I found slightly bothersome - the treatments and imagery of women in the film - but also it seemed deliberate, and was offset by the likes of Wright's character. If (my surmising only) this was a comment about how little the BR future has moved on from the present day in terms of how it manufactures feminine compliancy as a commodity, it worked. 

Is K observing that giant holographic ad of Joi because he misses her, or because he's realizing that she was performing to a script? Or had she really developed beyond "Her" into something customized, nuanced, greater? All food for thought, expertly layered into the greater story. That's when I was grateful for 2049's running time - that Villeneuve took the time to develop all the individual characters, to give us those moments that didn't necessarily just shunt the plot forward but gave us character detail and it all benefitted the greater whole without seeming too much of a sprawl.  

Sign in to follow this