Sign in to follow this  
Robin Bland

Blade Runner Sequel

BLADE RUNNER 2049 Featurette Contains New Footage & A Surprising Clue About Dave Bautista's Character

To mark the 35th anniversary of Ridley Scott's Blade Runner this Sunday, a new "Time to Live" featurette has been released containing some stunning new footage from Denis Villeneuve's sequel - BEWARE OF SPOILERS

7 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

Ouch

http://io9.gizmodo.com/someone-is-lying-about-whether-blade-runner-2049-will-t-1796371804

The debate on whether Unca Ridley's still got his marbles is going run and run.  

Ever since I first saw the DC of BR back in 1991 (with the unicorn dream reinserted), I always thought it was obvious that Deckard was a replicant.  Gaff knew his dreams; the same way that Deckard had access to Rachel's 'memories' of the spider egg as a 'child' (that she never was).   

The fact that Deckard aged doesn't necessarily negate his being a replicant either.  The Nexus-6 series had the 'new' innovation of a 4 year lifespan to prevent their gaining sentience (fat lot of good that did, right?) but Deckard is obviously an older model since he'd been doing this awhile, so maybe (like Rachel in the American cut) his lifespan was indeterminate.   And remember that Bryant was the first person to reveal the 4 year lifespan to Deckard; if that was a standard feature, an experienced blade runner like Deckard would've (or should've) known that.

So...there you go.   End of nerd rant.  :P

On 6/24/2017 at 8:36 AM, Sehlat Vie said:

Ever since I first saw the DC of BR back in 1991 (with the unicorn dream reinserted), I always thought it was obvious that Deckard was a replicant.  Gaff knew his dreams; the same way that Deckard had access to Rachel's 'memories' of the spider egg as a 'child' (that she never was).   

The fact that Deckard aged doesn't necessarily negate his being a replicant either.  The Nexus-6 series had the 'new' innovation of a 4 year lifespan to prevent their gaining sentience (fat lot of good that did, right?) but Deckard is obviously an older model since he'd been doing this awhile, so maybe (like Rachel in the American cut) his lifespan was indeterminate.   And remember that Bryant was the first person to reveal the 4 year lifespan to Deckard; if that was a standard feature, an experienced blade runner like Deckard would've (or should've) known that.

So...there you go.   End of nerd rant.  :P

Your theory works for me!

I may hang back on this one. The trailers look lovely but I may wait for it to come and go from cinemas before I approach it - with caution. 

43 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Your theory works for me!

I may hang back on this one. The trailers look lovely but I may wait for it to come and go from cinemas before I approach it - with caution. 

If I lived on your coast I probably wouldn’t let that happen; I’d be dragging you by the arm into the local cinema... :laugh:

Caution?  What’s this ‘caution’ you speak of? :giggle:

3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

If I lived on your coast I probably wouldn’t let that happen; I’d be dragging you by the arm into the local cinema... :laugh:

Caution?  What’s this ‘caution’ you speak of? :giggle:

I dunno, it's Villeneuve, it's gonna look nice. It'll probably be okay. But I'm really not sure i want any more info on whether Deckard is/isn't a replicant...

39 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

I dunno, it's Villeneuve, it's gonna look nice. It'll probably be okay. But I'm really not sure i want any more info on whether Deckard is/isn't a replicant...

Well, whatever the movie ‘says’, I’ll always have my head canon to fix whatever they get wrong, so...:P

17 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Well, whatever the movie ‘says’, I’ll always have my head canon to fix whatever they get wrong, so...:P

For whatever reason - perhaps after Covenant - I just feel like I'm not willing to enagage at all. When it rolls around to release, I may feel differently, but it's the perceived expectation that this "official update" is somehow supposed to overwrite my own theories. It may well be, because of Villeneuve, that it's a perfectly serviceable SF film in its own right, but it's also also almost guaranteed to fail, because it won't match anyone's headcanon. Which, after 35 years or so will feel like superior storytelling to anyone who has concocted their own theories. 

Caveat - I reserve the right to be pleasantly surprised. 

57 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

For whatever reason - perhaps after Covenant - I just feel like I'm not willing to enagage at all. When it rolls around to release, I may feel differently, but it's the perceived expectation that this "official update" is somehow supposed to overwrite my own theories. It may well be, because of Villeneuve, that it's a perfectly serviceable SF film in its own right, but it's also also almost guaranteed to fail, because it won't match anyone's headcanon. Which, after 35 years or so will feel like superior storytelling to anyone who has concocted their own theories. 

Caveat - I reserve the right to be pleasantly surprised. 

As do I.   Always. ;)

New BLADE RUNNER 2049 Trailer Provides A Much Better Idea Of What We Can Expect From The Sci-Fi Sequel

Watch it now and beware of Spoilers !

Okay, now I'm officially concerned; that trailer was so generic it could've been attached to ANY action movie.

Here's hoping (as with ST Beyond) it was just a bad trailer and not an indicator of the finished product.

Well, yeah... :)

Color me pessimistic, but I don't see a lot of that coming. Maybe overseas. But domestic bomb.

Edited by prometheus59650

3 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Well, yeah... :)

Color me pessimistic, but I don't see a lot of that coming. Maybe overseas. But domestic bomb.

Agreed. It's a hope in capitalizing on a movie that has only grown in popularity since then. In it's own way, it's the original Terminator, Matrix, etc..

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

:radekexcited::radekexcited::radekexcited:

Trendacosta's at the bottom there, doing her ol' negative thang, so maybe they all got it wrong...

45 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Trendacosta's at the bottom there, doing her ol' negative thang, so maybe they all got it wrong...

Because her word is the final say, of course...:giggle:

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:21 PM, Robin Bland said:

Prepare to eat your hats and headgear (according to critics who have seen Blade Runner 2019):

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-reactions-to-blade-runner-2049-are-incredibly-1818807529

Do any of these people who hold advance screenings for anything invite people who are inclined to dislike it?

9 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Do any of these people who hold advance screenings for anything invite people who are inclined to dislike it?

Sure. See comments about io9's Katherine Trendacosta, above.

But entertainment journos are such a sweet, uncynical bunch, anyway.

Seriously, I wonder if the art of the honest review is a thing of the past from any online source that gets freebies to new shows and movies. It's more of a synergetic relationship than one of truthful, independent commentary (if it ever was). Critical drubbings don't occur when you have a vested interest.

I honestly thought a decent sequel to BR was an impossibility, and I have to admit, my curiosity is piqued, so the PR angle worked. I hate to feel manipulated, but that's life in the Internet age.

1 hour ago, Robin Bland said:

I honestly thought a decent sequel to BR was an impossibility, and I have to admit, my curiosity is piqued, so the PR angle worked. I hate to feel manipulated, but that's life in the Internet age.

^
This.

Color me ‘sucker’ but the weekend of its opening?  I’m firing up my Spinner...:laugh:

Sign in to follow this