GustavoLeao

ENTERPRISE Finale - 10 Years Later

37 posts in this topic

No. What myth are you speaking of?

The myth you mention here:

Why doesn't this surprise me? My two favorite Treks (TOS and ENT) being canceled by network suits when they were actually "hits" for their networks as far as demographics and advertising was concerned.

TOS did very well for the network ratings-wise and consistently won its slot.

Honestly, for a full wrap up, I think DS9 could have used another 8 episodes.

For it to have played out a little more smoothly, I agree. I would've loved something like that, maybe a 13-episode final season, but I guess the market just wasn't geared that way back then. An order of anything less than 20 episodes was an anomaly.

Edited by Robin Bland

Why doesn't this surprise me? My two favorite Treks (TOS and ENT) being canceled by network suits when they were actually "hits" for their networks as far as demographics and advertising was concerned.

Except that it didn't matter at all for TOS. Networks didn't start using 18-49 demo data until 1974 or so, and it wasn't until they went back and examined old shows that they discovered what they did.

So in the case of TOS, that it won the demo was useless because the demo didn't exist.

I agree with the sentiment that if this had been any other episode, the idea wouldn't have been too bad. I'd prefer it showing a Captain Riker on the Titan looking back on history (perhaps on his first mission on the ship and needing guidance?). But not on the ENT-D and not as the finale.

I agree with the sentiment that if this had been any other episode, the idea wouldn't have been too bad. I'd prefer it showing a Captain Riker on the Titan looking back on history (perhaps on his first mission on the ship and needing guidance?). But not on the ENT-D and not as the finale.

And not awkwardly shoehorned into an episode where it simply didn't fit; there was no time in TNG's "Pegasus" for extended history lessons in the holodeck...

Give me a 3 hour extended cut of "Naked Now" over that swill.

They could call it "The Naked Infinity"... :giggle:

Please go away, strange white box dimension anomalies.

And they did.... you 'made it so.' :P

Except that it didn't matter at all for TOS. Networks didn't start using 18-49 demo data until 1974 or so, and it wasn't until they went back and examined old shows that they discovered what they did.

So in the case of TOS, that it won the demo was useless because the demo didn't exist.

Let's call it DNA evidence that came to light on a cold case. Cushman was proving a point from a modern-day perspective.

Now, if he had a time machine and could go back and could show the network the data...

They could call it "The Naked Infinity"...

Beats "Code of Honor," Volumes II and III. :)

And not awkwardly shoehorned into an episode where it simply didn't fit; there was no time in TNG's "Pegasus" for extended history lessons in the holodeck...

Give me a 3 hour extended cut of "Naked Now" over that swill.

They could call it "The Naked Infinity"... :giggle:

Please go away, strange white box dimension anomalies.

And they did.... you 'made it so.' :P

It happens when I answer more than one post at the same time, if I get fancy or efficient. That'll teach me.

As I see it, the whole thing with Riker and Troi was actually some time after that TNG episode, and Barclay created the program on the Titan, and he showed it to Troi and Riker to watch it. After trhey watched it, they remarked that it had a number of errors, including not showing the speech, not making sense about Riker's motivations and that he really didn't need to kill Trip stupidly, since Trip lived to be very old. Even so, Barclay's reason was that he wanted to play Trip and figuratively die on the holodeck to be ironic. This less to yet another boring counseling session.

The speech..."Ladies, Gentlemen and aliens, this is an historic occasion, the formation of a federal coalition of planets. The space probe agency will being to explore space with the help of our neighboring allies. We will go out into space together, to scientifically search for new worlds. In time, we will become a greater force for good in the stars. In the words of Zephram Cochrane, who moved to Alpha Centauri to retire, we will explore strange new worlds, seek out new life forms and new civilizations, and boldly we will go...were no one has gone before.' The warp 6 project begins. Thank you."

That card to the fans was a Dear John letter. Lol.

A prequel was just a bad idea. They should not have done it only because Star Wars did it. They could not get to the Romulan war properly. Also it wasn't just ads for IBM servers, but bad marketing over all. I recall vividly the lame commercials for this show, where they would make it sound like Melrose Place in space, and have some goofy setup where somehow Trip or TPol were in their underwear. Then there would not even be a scene like that in the episode. They literally did that. Maybe there was an occasional blue briefs scene in the changing room sometimes, but they made it sound like the show was about hot young people in relationships, and it was about outer space and cowboy astronauts. The fans did call off because there wasn't enough appeal for a prequel about stuff they already knew was going to happen in TOS. The final season tried to tie all of it in, with Klingon heads explained, Khan explained, Vulcan priestess Tpau explained, and all, but it was too little, too late.

The show was actually doomed about three months before the fourth season began. The last episode should have been Terra Prime.

Killing off the favorite character, Trip, was like if they did that with DS9 and killed off say Sisko...oh wait...

It would be like on TNG if they decided to kill Data...oh wait.

Or classic Trek and TNG killing of Kirk....oh heck no.

It seemed the powers that went had no idea what they were doing, and Berman and Braga were just tired of making it a different show. It was TNG and Voy light. It needed to be 'working stiffs figuring it all out in space'.

It needed to be more of a commercial for NASA than a commercial for blue underpants. (I have nothing against underpants, but they have a time and place, not in a goofy way. Take that scene in Into Darkness as an example of a bad scene.

Tpol should have never been like another 'sexy girl in a cat suit' but should have been her own person.

Edited by Chimera82405

The speech was never aired on the show. That is why you haven't seen it. I was paraphrasing from one of the fan stories out there.

Edited by Chimera82405