GustavoLeao

ENTERPRISE Finale - 10 Years Later

10 YEARS AGO - Filming begins on what will be the final episode of Star Trek: Enterprise, "These Are The Voyages." The episode will eventually lead to wide debate among fans, as the Next Generation-based storyline makes ENT fans believe it was a "final insult" from Rick Berman & Brannon Braga to those who had called for their ouster as show runners. The episode became a story-within-the-story in the TNG episode "The Pegasus" and featured Jonathan Frakes as Commander Riker and Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi, looking back on the ENT era via the Enterprise-D's holodeck (which led some fans to think the entire ENT series was a holographic presentation). This controversy still is a hot topic a decade later.

11027130_964988570185938_707353413132370

Sim   

I'm not a passionate TATV hater, but I think it was a huge disappointment as series finale for ENT. In itself, I wouldn't place it among the worst episodes, and hadn't it been the series finale, I think it would be an average episode with a slightly flawed nod to TNG.

As a series finale, of course, it was horrible (compared to the series finales of the other Trek shows). First of all, it was kind of disrespectful to let Riker&Troi steal the ENT cast their show. It should have been *their* farewell. Trip's death was totally pointless and just annoying -- some no-name forehead ridged space pirates? Seriously? The plot itself was mediocre -- not among the worst B&B came up with, but certainly not among their best either. That the formation of the Federation was rushed is almost forgivable, considering the series was cancelled earlier than planned. Still this is annoying, too.

But when I try to be fair to the episode, as it stands, regardless of this context, it's plain average. Uninspired plot, meaningless death of a main character just for the sake of it, but it was still nice to see Riker and Troi again. The "story within the story" idea kind of worked, IMO.

I'd give it 5 out of 10 points, as just another episode.

But it's the worst series finale since "Turnabout Intruder", as such.

Edited by Sim

That last episode was just terrible, though I don't see the entire show as a holographic fraud.

I've said this before; "Terra Prime" was the true finale in my head canon...

That last episode was just terrible, though I don't see the entire show as a holographic fraud.

I've said this before; "Terra Prime" was the true finale in my head canon...

It is. It closes out the crew beautifully. Everyone has their moment and it's one of the better series finales. "Voyages" is just a wreck.

The ENT finale lacked heart (or maybe "faith of.."?). I remember it as a bunch of separate plotlines stapled together to fill up a single hour. Riker and Troi's appearance was unfortunate since the finale was more about them than the principal characters. Did Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis know that this was going to be the series finale when they filmed it? I'd think common courtesy would lead to turning down an appearance that would upstage the principals on their own show. Moreover, "The Pegasus" was hardly one of the all-time greatest episodes of the series - it was good, don't get me wrong - but Riker's looking at the founding of the Federation to decide whether to come forward about the coverup? It never seemed like a strong enough justification.

Trip's death was meaningless given that it was because of a nobody, and he's survived all kinds of crazy stuff over the years. I'm glad that in the literary universe, this was used as a hastily contrived cover to allow Trip to go into covert intelligence - at least that justifies it to some extent.

I learned one thing from that, though: When someone describes an episode as a "love letter" to the fanbase, it either means "screw you" or "we're going to be cancelled anyway so to hell with it."

I learned one thing from that, though: When someone describes an episode as a "love letter" to the fanbase, it either means "screw you" or "we're going to be cancelled anyway so to hell with it."

Unless it's The Day of the Doctor, of course! lol

I didn't mind the episode as much, if it were a stand alone ep. As a series finale.....it sucks.

However, I did like the "Space, the Final Frontier.." monologue with the three Enterprise captains though.

Unless it's The Day of the Doctor, of course! lol

That one was a lot more than a 'love letter'; it was like a Valentines' Day trip to Victoria's Secret where you get to watch a private runway lingerie show.... :laugh:

What did Braga have to say about in the Enterprise Season 2 Blu-ray extra when him and the cast had their sit down? I don't have blu-ray and I wouldn't get it anyway when I can see the series on Netflix streaming. I read online he seemed to realize now that it was a mistake and when talking about it all 7 of the cast looked at him with utter disgust.

I hate that episode. Terra Prime as final episode of Enterprise for me, too.

I love Riker and Troi, and if this has just been a stunt sweeps week ratings-grabber episode, it might not have the deservedly rotten rep it's got. Looking at it purely as an opportunity to see those two characters back, it's kind of fun, although I'd almost prefer to just see these new scenes spliced into an expanded version of The Pegasus (although Riker's expanding and retracting waistline between scenes might cause some continuity errors).

But having them take over the show and and not giving center stage to the crew we're actually following is an utterly bizarre creative decision that still makes no sense to me. And I hate the utter pointlessness of Trip's death. (Captain Bravo, I didn't know that about the Trek books - I'm glad they saved him.)

The final coda with the different themes and ships and DS9 making an appearance is faintly stirring, but it's far too little in an episode that's all wrong, and too late. As not only a season and series closer but effectively the episode that brought to an end 18 years of continuous production Star Trek on TV, it's an utter, unmitigated failure.

kc1966   

TATV is the favorite Trek episode of almost all Enterprise and Trek fans. It is a grand send off to televised Trek that ends in a stirring montage of the previous series. It cleverly mixes two of the most beloved characters in Trek lore with one of the most well written and developed Trek cast of characters. Now, about that bridge from Brooklyn that I want to sell you.......

Edited by kc1966

I remembered reading Berman's thoughts on it fairly recently. Some thoughts on the misjudgment here. He sounds pretty contrite:

http://www.startrek.com/article/these-are-the-voyages-nine-years-later

I agree with some of the above comments that as a regular episode, it would've been a weird, 'oops' moment in an otherwise excellent 4th season. But as a finale it's just woefully inadequate; and has the perverse effect of sidelining the ENT cast in favor of the TNG's Riker and Troi (both of whom looked a bit too er, long in the tooth, to play their 12 years younger selves). It was just awkward all around; not to mention it doesn't fit at all in TNG's far superior "Pegasus" (it's like a leech on that episode's butt).

If it'd been a regular episode I might've given it a 4 or 5 out of 10 (most of that going to the recreations of the Enterprise D sets). But as a series' finale? It's "Dexter" finale bad...

kc1966   

I remembered reading Berman's thoughts on it fairly recently. Some thoughts on the misjudgment here. He sounds pretty contrite:

Interesting post in the discussion following this article -

"

"I have to add another comment after reading all of these. Poor ratings did NOT kill Enterprise; it was a business decision (and a bad one at that) because Paramount/UPN felt the series would not "fit" the post-merger network. Also there was personal dislike of the science fiction genre by CBS higher-ups (those who know know who I mean), which shouldn't have mattered but said animus existed and was a factor as well. Enterprise was UPN's highest-rated show, and it also had the desired demographic. I used to work in advertising and I know whereof I speak; the ads that appeared on Enterprise were aimed at high-end wage earners and decision makers. You don't attempt to sell IBM servers and luxury cars to 14 year olds. And advertisers carefully research the audience of a show before deciding whether to place ads on it or not; it is not done by throwing darts at a network schedule. One other comment: While the show was on, there were a lot of "haters" who spent as much time as they could undermining and complaining about the show. They all seemed to want it cancelled ASAP so we could have "real" Trek, not understanding (or refusing to understand) that cancelling Enterprise would not bring that about. Hollywood/TV does not work that way. I said it then and I'll say it now -- hope they enjoyed their various DVDs, because it's going on 10 years with no new Trek on TV. I don't know about anyone else, but as far as I'm concerned, that sucks."

Why doesn't this surprise me? My two favorite Treks (TOS and ENT) being canceled by network suits when they were actually "hits" for their networks as far as demographics and advertising was concerned.

Berman's ridiculous there. Truly. The fact that his entire cast was utterly pissed (and STILL are) at the script should have been warning enough that maybe it wasn't such a hot idea.

But we do it anyway.

Berman's ridiculous there. Truly. The fact that his entire cast was utterly pissed (and STILL are) at the script should have been warning enough that maybe it wasn't such a hot idea.

But we do it anyway.

Not Berman's finest hour... literally or figuratively.

But we do it anyway.

Give me a 3 hour extended cut of "Naked Now" over that swill.

Edited by prometheus59650

But we do it anyway.

Damage limitation, methinks. Also an indication of quite how far out of touch with both the audience and with his own day-to-day staff he must've been at that point.

"

"I have to add another comment after reading all of these. Poor ratings did NOT kill Enterprise; it was a business decision (and a bad one at that) because Paramount/UPN felt the series would not "fit" the post-merger network. Also there was personal dislike of the science fiction genre by CBS higher-ups (those who know know who I mean), which shouldn't have mattered but said animus existed and was a factor as well. Enterprise was UPN's highest-rated show, and it also had the desired demographic. I used to work in advertising and I know whereof I speak; the ads that appeared on Enterprise were aimed at high-end wage earners and decision makers. You don't attempt to sell IBM servers and luxury cars to 14 year olds. And advertisers carefully research the audience of a show before deciding whether to place ads on it or not; it is not done by throwing darts at a network schedule. One other comment: While the show was on, there were a lot of "haters" who spent as much time as they could undermining and complaining about the show. They all seemed to want it cancelled ASAP so we could have "real" Trek, not understanding (or refusing to understand) that cancelling Enterprise would not bring that about. Hollywood/TV does not work that way. I said it then and I'll say it now -- hope they enjoyed their various DVDs, because it's going on 10 years with no new Trek on TV. I don't know about anyone else, but as far as I'm concerned, that sucks."

Why doesn't this surprise me? My two favorite Treks (TOS and ENT) being canceled by network suits when they were actually "hits" for their networks as far as demographics and advertising was concerned.

Have you read any of Marc Cushman's books (also called These are the Voyages)? He thoroughly and absolutely explodes that myth as regards TOS, with meticulous research.

I agree with the poster. I really wish Enterprise had run a full seven seasons. Hell, I wish DS9 had run eight and they'd delayed debuting Voyager. But I guess hindsight and wishful thinking are both wunnerful things.

"

Have you read any of Marc Cushman's books (also called These are the Voyages)? He thoroughly and absolutely explodes that myth as regards TOS, with meticulous research.

I agree with the poster. I really wish Enterprise had run a full seven seasons. Hell, I wish DS9 had run eight and they'd delayed debuting Voyager. But I guess hindsight and wishful thinking are both wunnerful things.

Honestly, for a full wrap up, I think DS9 could have used another 8 episodes.

But we do it anyway.

Damage limitation, methinks. Also an indication of quite how far out of touch with both the audience and with his own day-to-day staff he must've been at that point.

Very much so. Then again, he was probably already out the door and ready to turn out the lights and just didn't care anymore.

kc1966   

"

No. What myth are you speaking of?