Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

THOR : RAGNAROK

26 minutes ago, Nombrecomun said:

Can we do spoilers on this thread? 

I'd just mark 'em such, but this seems like the place for it.

26 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

I'd just mark 'em such, but this seems like the place for it.

^
This.

Just give a heads up, and I think that’ll work. 

SPOILERS!!!!

I have found the previous Thor movies to be mediocre. This third movie, to me, continues to be mediocre. Just different. I appreciate that they tried to do something different because tonally the previous didn't leave much of a mark or memory but this was yucky. I just don't see Thor as a comedic character. Maybe if there was more of a story arc with him that shows him now as a much more relaxed individual then ok. But he just goes from relatively uptight stoic guy to what we see in this movie. It's weird. 

I also don't know whose idea was it to have an 80's motif to it. The music, the tone, the gaudy graphics(even the poster). While LZ's Immigrant Song worked well the first time, it really felt forced the second time...especially considering that Shrek has used it similarly. 

One good thing I liked was that Jane Foster was nowhere around this. That's a dud of a character on par with Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane Watson. 

Jeff Goldblum as Grandmaster was quite fun. 

Cate Blanchett hammed it up big time. I wanted more of her than Thor frankly. She seemed more interesting to me. 

Miss me some Lady Sif but considering what happened to the others then I'm happy she's somewhere out there with the possibility of showing up down the road. 

To summarize, meh....

Saw it this afternoon.

Fun, flashy, forgettable.

A decent popcorn movie, nothing more.  Like Marvel meets pro-wrestling.  

There were bits of political commentary slipped in here and there, but nothing to take away from this being a fun but shallow actioner. 

Saw it. Enjoyed it - laughed when I was meant to. It’s actually very funny in places, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a film that felt so designed (except maybe Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2), both in terms of how it looked and also plot beats. I think it’s a better movie than GotG 2, but I’m not sure that’s a relevant yardstick as Marvel movies now need only to beat themselves. They are what they are, and can be relied upon to look cool and have some laughs. They aren’t brain food and they’re certainly not provocative, not in any way. But it was fun to see Dr. Strange, Loki, Odin, Hela, Hulk etc. Cate Blanchett really hammed it up some. Jeff Goldblum phoned it in - I mean, he’s great, he’s Goldblum, but he’s never going to do anything else now except that offhand, diffident shtick he does, is he? 

Which makes me feel bad, as if I’m downgrading all the incredibly artistry and craft on show in this movie. I took the bairn. I think I’m going to say “It was fun” again because I can’t really think of anything else to say. We watched it the day after Thanksgiving, and it was perfect for that. We forgot about it two minutes after exiting the movie theater. Soma fun. [And I mean “soma”, not “some.”]

Later on (and entirely coincidentally), I watched Logan again. Same genre, ostensibly, but the remarkable thing about this was that Mrs Bland, who usually shows zero interest in superheroes or action movies per se, sat down and watched this with me. “Not bad,” she said at the end. “Very violent, but you felt there were real consequences. That kid was terrific.” Yes. Indeed. It even inspired a later talk about the driverless trucks and what kind of future we might be facing with genetic manipulation and/or AI. 

But a superhero movie like that comes along... once every other generation? Silly to compare to the two, but it struck me how incredibly different they were.   

34 minutes ago, Robin Bland said:

Which makes me feel bad, as if I’m downgrading all the incredibly artistry and craft on show in this movie. I took the bairn. I think I’m going to say “It was fun” again because I can’t really think of anything else to say. We watched it the day after Thanksgiving, and it was perfect for that. We forgot about it two minutes after exiting the movie theater. Soma fun. [And I mean “soma”, not “some.”]

Fun, but kinda forgettable was my take on it.

Don’t get me wrong; I enjoyed it well enough, and it went well with popcorn, but I’ve forgotten 95% of it already (a few weeks later).   I have to read my own blog on it at times to remember it at all. :laugh:

4 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Fun, but kinda forgettable was my take on it.

Don’t get me wrong; I enjoyed it well enough, and it went well with popcorn, but I’ve forgotten 95% of it already (a few weeks later).   I have to read my own blog on it at times to remember it at all. :laugh:

Yeah, I read your review afterwards! Agree with all of that.

Which makes it sound like I didn't like it, and i did.

Vis a vis that comparison... as Maya Angelou put it, "At the end of the day, people won't remember what you said or did, but they'll remember how you made them feel."

3 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Black Panther looks to be less forgettable.

At least I hope it is.

I think it'll just be a positive experience simply in terms of seeing loads of empowered black characters onscreen.

1 minute ago, Robin Bland said:

Yeah, I read your review afterwards! Agree with all of that.

Which makes it sound like I didn't like it, and i did.

Vis a vis that comparison... as Maya Angelou put it, "At the end of the day, people won't remember what you said or did, but they'll remember how you made them feel."

I think it'll just be a positive experience simply in terms of seeing loads of empowered black characters onscreen.

Very true. And what appears to be no stereotypes to be seen.

4 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

But a superhero movie like that comes along... once every other generation? Silly to compare to the two, but it struck me how incredibly different they were.   

Because Logan is a film with a superhero and not a superhero film. Marvel? DC? They both have certain templates that they are going by...beats to be hit.

Logan eschews all of that.

Very true. And what appears to be no stereotypes to be seen.

Because Logan is a film with a superhero and not a superhero film. Marvel? DC? They both have certain templates that they are going by...beats to be hit.

Yeah, absolutely right. It also featured carefully created and acted characters rather than joke-uttering ciphers. Not to diss TR, but it might as well have been a pantomime.  Pantomimes are fun, but they’re seldom deep. 

3 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

^
Maya Angelou ... wise, as always.   And for the 2 plus hours I was watching “Ragnarok” I enjoyed it.   It’s just such a remarkably transitory feeling.

3 hours ago, Robin Bland said:

There’s this, of course, but there’s also kind of a cool, almost ’70s action vibe to it; as if someone took a cool, ‘70s movie and put a huge V-8 under the hood, and turbocharged it.   As a child of ‘70s movies, I look forward to that aspect of it.

Very, very much this. 

I definitely want to see more thoughtful superhero movies. I haven't seen Logan, though, mainly because it looks incredibly violent and grim. It certainly sounds like an impressive movie though. When it comes to 'standout' superhero movies, my list is basically just: Winter Soldier, Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins and (this will be controversial, I guess) Ang Lee's Hulk.

1 hour ago, Explorer3 said:

I definitely want to see more thoughtful superhero movies. I haven't seen Logan, though, mainly because it looks incredibly violent and grim. It certainly sounds like an impressive movie though. When it comes to 'standout' superhero movies, my list is basically just: Winter Soldier, Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins and (this will be controversial, I guess) Ang Lee's Hulk.

It is absolutely violent and grim. It's sort of Eastwood's Unforgiven with superheroes. It's well worth the investment in spite of the violence.

I can agree with all of those except, as you might have seen coming, Lee's Hulk. There are some nice bits and I get what he's trying to do, but it's just morose and overwrought to me.

There's a Family Guy bit where Peter explains to the family that he hates The Godfather, in part, because, "It insists upon itself."

That's kind of how I see Ang Lee's Hulk.

That's understandable...the movie definitely has some issues. I suppose I just like the concepts behind it enough to forgive some of the flaws. I certainly prefer it to the MCU Hulk movie. I've heard that the Bill Bixby version of Hulk is the best one, but I never actually saw that.

Sign in to follow this