Sign in to follow this  
GustavoLeao

THOR : RAGNAROK

1 hour ago, kenman said:

They did. It was boring. 

If you mean the Ed Norton movie?  I guess I enjoyed that approach more than others...

I think the Avengers: Endless Battles stuff is getting a little dull, to be honest.   I guess I just prefer the smaller scale of the TV show, where the Hulk was the only supernatural or fantastical element; it made it feel like it could happen on my own street when I was a kid.  The new approach to Hulk is just so over the top that I kind of emotionally check out when I see it; maybe it's similar to our own Gus' feelings about new Star Trek (?). I dunno.

2 hours ago, kenman said:

They did. It was boring. 

I actually LIKED the Norton movie. it had some heft without being over-directed and morose like Ang Lee's.

But Marvel has its formula now, and while they are content to play with it around the edges, they're never going to risk the juggernaut of cash by breaking the boundaries of what a Marvel movie is .

kenman   

I am sick of the Marvel formula mysef, but I found the Norton movie dull and uninteresting, he faces off with another Hulk, doppelgangers used to be the old Marvel formula...but the Norton movie is why I believe that the Hulk can't carry a movie. 

9 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

I actually LIKED the Norton movie. it had some heft without being over-directed and morose like Ang Lee's.

Me too.

It felt the closest to television Hulk (which was my personal favorite; mainly for Bixby's intensity).   

9 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

But Marvel has its formula now, and while they are content to play with it around the edges, they're never going to risk the juggernaut of cash by breaking the boundaries of what a Marvel movie is .

^ Sadly this.  They figure people only want the Hulk for 'smash' and comic relief, which is a bit of a betrayal to the Jekyll & Hyde roots of the character.

8 hours ago, kenman said:

I am sick of the Marvel formula mysef, but I found the Norton movie dull and uninteresting, he faces off with another Hulk, doppelgangers used to be the old Marvel formula...but the Norton movie is why I believe that the Hulk can't carry a movie. 

I remember a lot of people saying that Iron Man couldn't carry a movie, and Ant-Man couldn't carry a movie.  So on and so on...

I feel that if Ruffalo's Banner were paired with a dandy script?  I think it could be one of the GREAT Marvel movies.  But as he is now?  He's just used as the comic relief brute.   Such a shame...

If they went back to the Jekyll/Hyde nature of the character paired with Ruffalo's acting chops?  It could be amazing.

kenman   
3 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I remember a lot of people saying that Iron Man couldn't carry a movie, and Ant-Man couldn't carry a movie.  So on and so on...

I feel that if Ruffalo's Banner were paired with a dandy script?  I think it could be one of the GREAT Marvel movies.  But as he is now?  He's just used as the comic relief brute.   Such a shame...

If they went back to the Jekyll/Hyde nature of the character paired with Ruffalo's acting chops?  It could be amazing.

Well for my money, Ant-Man only sort of carried a movie.  I thought it was okay, but I seem to be in the minority on that.  And maybe the Hulk could carry a film with Ruffalo, but I just don't find, in any incarnation, the Hulk to be that interesting a character. 

Guys I love the MCU, MARVEL STUDIOS Is doing evrything right ! Look at this year : LOGAN, GOTG Vol. 2 and SPIDER-MAN HOMECOMING aand the upcoming THOR RAGNAROK which seems to be quite fun ! All very exciting and well-done and well-scripted summer movies ! MARVEL rocks !

But I understand your feelings Sehlat. I am indeed totally tired of the current STAR TREK and this week DISCOVERY trailer was very painful for me to watch. Painful.

So I understand you guys feelings. But I am a MARVEL fan and a Stan Lee fan since the 1970s, so there you are.

Gus

6 hours ago, kenman said:

Well for my money, Ant-Man only sort of carried a movie.  I thought it was okay, but I seem to be in the minority on that.  And maybe the Hulk could carry a film with Ruffalo, but I just don't find, in any incarnation, the Hulk to be that interesting a character. 

I ate up all 5 years of the television show as a kid, and loved the old comics too.  I'd say he worked well enough for many people.  My feeling was that the first attempt to bring Hulk to the big screen overreached and went arty where it should've been more accessible.  I'm a fan of director Ang Lee (loved his Hong Kong movies, including "Eat Drink Man Woman"; as well as his radically different US drama "Brokebacck Mountain") but I feel he was simply the wrong fit for Hulk.  

The 2008 do-over was much closer in overall alignment with the current Marvel universe, and it was (IMO) a lot closer to what the 2003 movie should've been, but this was right before Marvel movies had become the well-oiled (if arguably tiresome?) juggernaut that it is today.

If they poured some of that current talent (including Ruffalo's Bannner) into a new, standalone movie that eschews some of that comic relief-dumb brute silliness that the character has been backed into?  I've no doubt they could have a huge hit on their hands.  I would argue that there are perhaps many Hulk fans like myself who are would love to see movie-Hulk given the same weight and gravitas of Bixby's version in the '70s/'80s.  

In a way, it's kind of an odd reversal of the Wonder Woman situation. 

kenman   

I've seen the 70s show, airs on MeTV Saturday nights (or did, I dunno if they took it off completely or not)...and I have to say that while I tried to like it, it just didn't do much for me.  I guess I'm just not much of a fan of the Hulk. 

1 hour ago, kenman said:

I've seen the 70s show, airs on MeTV Saturday nights (or did, I dunno if they took it off completely or not)...and I have to say that while I tried to like it, it just didn't do much for me.  I guess I'm just not much of a fan of the Hulk. 

That's understandable.  Not everything appeals to everyone all of the time, right? :laugh:

Love the Bixby / Ferrigno TV Series, produced and written by the always great Kenneth Johnson. The late Bill Bixby made the David Bruce Banner role so human and sincere and charismatic, despite the great tragedies in his real life. A classic TV Show, Marvel or not.

20264827_10213933138421773_2147657470470

BTW, these days everyone, including me, love the MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE, with such awesome movies like CAPTAIN AMERICA CIVIL WAR and DOCTOR STRANGE . But even so, I will never forget the MARVEL AGE OF TV HEROES, which just made my childhood, since i was a kid who loved comic books of all sizes and types. So during the late 1970s, I was in awe to watch the live action TV Series and TV movies of my favorite MARVEL characters, starring Nicholas Hammond as Peter Parker (1977-1979), Bill Bixby as Doctor David Bruce Banner (1977-1981), Reb Brown as Steve Rogers (1979) and Peter Hooten as Dr Stephen Strange (1978). Yeah, low budget stuff, but fun nevertheless, with great casting. I feel proud to have all those on DVD, the gems of my DVD collection. I must say, I had the greatest childhood !

20246233_10213933139501800_4749572947081

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

7 minutes ago, kenman said:

"Everyone" and "loves" are a bit of a stretch Gus!

This.

I'm still there for Avengers, and I liked Dr. Strange and I'm looking forward to Black Panther because they did and promise to shake things up as much as Marvel dares, but Spider-Man and Guardians? Very empty Marvel and that's what I'm getting to my "enough" point with.

Well, I loved  ALL MARVEL Studios movies except from THE INCREDIBLE HULK and IRON MAN 3. And EVERYBODY I know love those movies. I never ran in one person who said "I hate the Captain America movies" or "I hated Spider-man!" and I ran into a lot of people ussually LOL

Well you guys watch STAR TREK DISCOVERY while I watch THE DEFENDERS LOL

Everybody's happy then.

BTW......

The First Wave Of Reviews For Marvel And Netflix's THE DEFENDERS Are In, And They're Decidedly Mixed

Oh, no, I hope its good. Thats the Netflix seies I am waiting for all year and I hope its awesome !.

Edited by GustavoLeao

40 minutes ago, GustavoLeao said:

Well, I loved  ALL MARVEL Studios movies except from THE INCREDIBLE HULK and IRON MAN 3. And EVERYBODY I know love those movies. I never ran in one person who said "I hate the Captain America movies" or "I hated Spider-man!" and I ran into a lot of people ussually LOL

Well you guys watch STAR TREK DISCOVERY while I watch THE DEFENDERS LOL

Everybody's happy then.

Winter Soldier pushed the boundaries as far as they could and it's worked. I love that film.

Spider-Man. It was fine. It was better than Caulfield to be sure. It's just already forgotten.

I love VERY Marvel movie. They respect the source material.

Well..............errrrrrr.................except IRON MAN 3.

But thats okay.

Gus

THOR: RAGNAROK International Trailer Features An Appearance From Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange !!!

Good morning, bom dia !

BOX OFFICE: THOR: RAGNAROK Expected To Cross $400 Million Worldwide As Soon As Sunday

Thor: Ragnarok is the best reviewed Marvel Studios movie of all-time so it probably won't surprise you to learn that box office projections now point to it being a mega hit when it finally hits the US.

MINI-REVIEW (NO SPOILERS) : I have seen it (it already opened in Brazil) and its an excellent MARVEL STUDIOS movie, lots of action and character moments and very, very funny, the humor workls ! Go see this one even if you are not a Marvel Comics fan. Cate Blanchett steals the movie as Hela and Chris Hesmworth has never been better as Thor. Great casting, good score and a perfect story for Thor and his "Revengers".

22894176_10214827897390188_8923918488243

On 4/11/2017 at 8:56 AM, Robin Bland said:

Also, Hela. Hello and hella, Hela! :biggrin: 

Gonna quote myself. 

Looking forward to this as a bit of diverting fun. :)

Sign in to follow this