Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GustavoLeao

ENTERPRISE Fourth Season Revisited

33 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

Gonna begin re-watching several episodes of the fourth season of ENTERPRISE tonight with my wife. I havent see those episodes in 10 years ! Well, its about time.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Gus

PS - Will begin with the Brent Spiner episodes, so lets give ENT another chance this summer.

10947195_10205722116991369_6269228226268

ENT is my #2 Trek series, just a smidge behind TNG. If it had lasted another year or three, it might have taken over first place. (That said, Babylon 5 is still my overall #1 series of all time.

Fourth Season was good. Should have started out with that one.

^^^ This exactly.

Season 4 is great, everything a prequel should be. It's a shame the series was cancelled just when it became really good.

Agreed.

I love S4. And I also have a bit of love for S1 as well. But 4 is where it really all came together. It just hurts like hell that the show didn't get a few more seasons; esp. after finally 'finding its voice.'

I let you guys know of my opinion on season 4 - as I said, it has been 10 years since I watched ENTERPRISE.

Gus

I let you guys know of my opinion on season 4 - as I said, it has been 10 years since I watched ENTERPRISE.

Gus

That's understandable.

There are episodes of VGR that I haven't watched since their original broadcasts.

But ENT had such potential. I reconciled the discontinuities between it and TOS by appreciating it as an alternate timeline; more sequel to "First Contact" than a prequel to TOS.

But by S4 it had started to do what I thought was then impossible; reconciling the gulf between itself and TOS with both grace and imagination. Episodes like "In A Mirror Darkly" (which is both a sequel to "The Tholian Web" and prequel to "Mirror, Mirror"), or "Affliction/Divergence" which finally answers the great bumpy headed Klingon mystery (alluded to in DS9's "Trials & Tribble-ations") were both canon-friendly and entertaining. And with Jeffrey Combs' Shran making semi-regular visits (he was supposed to be a cast member in S5)? Well.... "it would've been glorious" to quote TOS' Kor.

ENT had become the show I'd always hoped it could be... and then, of course, it got canceled.

Star-Trek-Enterprise-Season-4-C.jpg

giphy.gif

Season 4 of ENTERPRISE is best than I remember. Brent Spiner really gave one of his best acting in those episodes.

Gus

Season 4 of ENTERPRISE is best than I remember. Brent Spiner really gave one of his best acting in those episodes.

Gus

I love his Arik Soong; almost better than Data. Certainly more than Lore, B-4 or Dr. Noonian Soong. He was (I'm guessing) most like Brent Spiner himself (the wonderfully sardonic humor, anyway...).

And I liked the 3 part "Augments" trilogy much much better than I liked the Khan story of STID.

ENT is my #2 Trek series, just a smidge behind TNG. If it had lasted another year or three, it might have taken over first place. (That said, Babylon 5 is still my overall #1 series of all time.

Ent is my nbr 2 Trek too, behind DS9! I also love B5, only last few years, for me, DS9 beat B5, but those 2 are my all time fav TV series.

Perhaps ENT would rank much higher on my list, had it been like season 4 from the beginning, or had it gone on for another three years in that style.

But I guess it still wouldn't have changed my order of preference (#1 DS9, #2 TNG, #3 ENT -- not counting TOS). But ENT would be much closer to TNG.

I didn't really understand the hype about Babylon 5 when I first watched it five years ago. IMO, it was okay, but *vastly* overrated. Not remotely as good as DS9 (and imo not worth even being mentioned in the same breath -- way too crappy in many regards).

Perhaps ENT would rank much higher on my list, had it been like season 4 from the beginning, or had it gone on for another three years in that style.

But I guess it still wouldn't have changed my order of preference (#1 DS9, #2 TNG, #3 ENT -- not counting TOS). But ENT would be much closer to TNG.

I didn't really understand the hype about Babylon 5 when I first watched it five years ago. IMO, it was okay, but *vastly* overrated. Not remotely as good as DS9 (and imo not worth even being mentioned in the same breath -- way too crappy in many regards).

Tried to get into B5 when it first premiered many years ago; the pilot just didn't impress me, and when I tried to watch the later random episodes here and there, I was far too lost on the story (one of the few dangers of serialization in the 'pre-binge watching' age). I know many people really like it, but the pilot was nowhere near as interesting as DS9's was for me (and as I recall, in the US they premiered during the same month and year, too). I keep vowing to give it another try, but too many better shows keep creeping up (like "BSG" "Walking Dead" "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad").

But back to ENT: While S4 was my unabashed favorite, there were also quite a few in S1 that I enjoyed as well ("The Andorian Incident" "Fight or Flight" "Dear Doctor" "Fusion", among others). There are a few S2 episodes I enjoy as well ("Carbon Creek" is great; I also loved the creepy "Dead Stop"). So I wouldn't say that S4 was the only worthwhile season for me personally. And of course, "Broken Bow" was my favorite ST pilot since "The Cage."

Gonna watch with my wife THE FORGE, AWAKENING and KIR'SHARA trilogy tonight.

I am really enjoying watching ENTERPRISE this time, 10 years later, and I was a big critic of this series.

Perhaps I am matured a bit.......

Gus

Gonna watch with my wife THE FORGE, AWAKENING and KIR'SHARA trilogy tonight.

I am really enjoying watching ENTERPRISE this time, 10 years later, and I was a big critic of this series.

Perhaps I am matured a bit.......

Gus

Ready to give ST09 another try yet? :giggle:

Hell, no !!!

LOL

Gus

Can't say I didn't expect that... :laugh:

Tried to get into B5 when it first premiered many years ago; the pilot just didn't impress me, and when I tried to watch the later random episodes here and there, I was far too lost on the story (one of the few dangers of serialization in the 'pre-binge watching' age). I know many people really like it, but the pilot was nowhere near as interesting as DS9's was for me (and as I recall, in the US they premiered during the same month and year, too). I keep vowing to give it another try, but too many better shows keep creeping up (like "BSG" "Walking Dead" "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad").

I guess I'd have liked B5 much more, had I seen it back in the 90s already. But when I first watched it start to end in 2010, I had seen too many later, much better series already (just like the premium shows you mentioned), including the first two seasons of BSG. So I guess I was kind of spoilt.

So I found maybe B5 was of historical interest -- allegedly the first genre series that heavily relied on serialization and paved the way for later series' --, and by all means, it's an okay SF/space opera. But nowhere near as good as the hype I had heard of suggested. It has not aged well... at all. And in a way, it was way too similar to Star Trek to consider it original. Just that DS9 did *everything* better, imo.

That said, I enjoyed B5 for what it was, a decent 90s space opera. I'd perhaps give it 6.5 or 7 out of 10 points.

But back to ENT: While S4 was my unabashed favorite, there were also quite a few in S1 that I enjoyed as well ("The Andorian Incident" "Fight or Flight" "Dear Doctor" "Fusion", among others). There are a few S2 episodes I enjoy as well ("Carbon Creek" is great; I also loved the creepy "Dead Stop"). So I wouldn't say that S4 was the only worthwhile season for me personally. And of course, "Broken Bow" was my favorite ST pilot since "The Cage."

Yes, I absolutely tolerate ENT seasons 1&2 as well. IMO, season 1 was even perhaps the best first season of a Star Trek series so far -- really a good start. Certainly a better first season than TNG or DS9 had. With the experience in mind how quickly and powerfully these other series' grew after their first season, that was a huge promise.

The main problem was imo, that season 2 didn't quite live up to this promise. It just went on the same way, it didn't raise the tension or quality (like the seasons 2&3 in the other ST series did), but just rippled along and the not-bad-but-totally-uninspired episodes became more and more numerous. It was not outright bad, just intolerably mediocre. And copied way too many ideas we had seen before. It was as if B&B had decided to make ENT to VOY season 8.

You know we're in total agreement about the Xindi arc in season 3, but also about season 4, where the series truly "found its voice", as you put it.

Edited by Sim

I am having no problems seeing ENT again..... Will see "The Aenar" tonight. Some of these season 4 episodes, you know, I havent even remember they existed, aproblem I didnt have with the others Trek series. Odd, maybe I should blame myself for not paying attention

Gus

Now I liked Enterprise right from the beginning. I think some people go back into it and learn to like it based on the fact that now they know some of the reasons WHY it was bad (behind the scenes issues, production, etc), it seems that they are willing to overlook some of the off-points.

Thats right. I remember when I saw BROKEN BOW, the pilot for ENTERPRISE, and I was shocked how good it was. And then I begun watching the first season, which was kinda of a decent Star Trek, but not great. Foward to the middle of season 2, and I was kinda of give it up on the series. So I never gave Season 4 the kind of attention it deserved. I kinda watched it in 2005, because I was editing TrekWeb.com at the time, and became friends with Dominic Keating and Anthony Montgomery via email, they were real pros and gave me interviews during the series run. But only now I am really watched the episodes with my wife and really enjoying them. We watched "The Aenar" last night and was as good as TNG and DS9. Go figure.

Gus

You guys should not have given up on it so early. The early seasons of TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT were considered not to be the best these shows can offer, yet you all stuck it out for them. Why not for B5? Babylon 5 is an amazing piece of science fiction. It went places that even DS9, due to it being in the Roddenberry's utopia, didn't go.

Sim - B5 was far more fair on religion than DS9/Trek was. I'm surprised you didn't like it.

One day, if you two are bored, I recommend giving it another go. It is both depressing/awe inspiring how the issues touched in B5 are still relevant to this day. I guess Mankind never learns....

You guys should not have given up on it so early. The early seasons of TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT were considered not to be the best these shows can offer, yet you all stuck it out for them. Why not for B5? Babylon 5 is an amazing piece of science fiction. It went places that even DS9, due to it being in the Roddenberry's utopia, didn't go.

Oh I did, I watched it from the pilot up to the last episode (just missed the later tv movies). And it absolutely was entertaining!

Sim - B5 was far more fair on religion than DS9/Trek was. I'm surprised you didn't like it.

One day, if you two are bored, I recommend giving it another go. It is both depressing/awe inspiring how the issues touched in B5 are still relevant to this day. I guess Mankind never learns....

Maybe I gave a wrong impression in my postings above, but I did like B5. I was just disappointed because I had constantly been told how brilliant it allegedly is, by a couple of people including a good buddy of mine, who usually didn't disappoint me with his recommendations. So it was perhaps a matter of too high expectations on my side.

I like the political intrigue, I like the arc about the telepaths, and I like most of the characters, or at least don't find any character intolerable (can't say that about VOY ;) ).

But there are also things I didn't like so much ... sometimes, the dialogues are often a bit too clunky for my taste, especially when there is a lot of pathos... I have the impression the series takes itself too seriously, compared to DS9's constant self-ironic humor. I don't like that arc about the "knights of the Round Table" at all. I don't like the style of the fx/special effects. The depiction of the rise of fascism in earth government was way too naive and obvious, imo (but nice that earth was not "the good guys" for a change). And I found most of season 5 rather superfluous.

In retrospect, after having seen BSG, I feel B5's boldness falls flat, because it stopped after half of the way (or even after a quarter of the way) -- it can't really decide whether it wants to be true military SF or rather a ST-like family show. It tackles very severe topics such as rise of fascism/tyranny, colonialism and genocide, but with few exceptions, I find the execution lacking (though I very much liked the Londo/G'Kar antagonism). I also felt the depiction of the alien races' cultures was a bit bland, compared to DS9's colorful archetypes of Cardassians, Klingons and Dominion.

So I'd say on the bottom line, it's absolutely enjoyable and a solid show, but has quite a few flaws as well. Considering the high praise I often heard/read about it, I just find it overrated. Naturally, tastes differ, but imo, B5 never comes close challenging DS9 as the superior series.

Edited by Sim

I am a big fan of Bruce Boxleitner, so I was hooked on B5 after he replaced the late Michael O'Hare as commander of the station. I think Boxleitner is a very underrated actor and his acting in the last B5 episode - "SLEEPING IN LIGHT" -deserved an Emmy, it made me cry. He was soooo good as Sheridan that I became hooked on B5 for the entire 5 seasons and the TV Movies for TNT and even CRUSADE. It was really a novel approach to sci-fi and comparisions to DS9 were unfair, because it was 2 very different series, inmy opinion.

Gus

In retrospect, after having seen BSG, I feel B5's boldness falls flat, because it stopped after half of the way (or even after a quarter of the way) -- it can't really decide whether it wants to be true military SF or rather a ST-like family show.

^

This.

2003's remake of Battlestar Galactica was so freaking amazing and daring that it ruined my palette for politically-themed science fiction shows that only dared to go partway. BSG was, for me, the ultimate political TV space opera, and anything less usually winds up feeling a bit... immature (if that's not too harsh a word?).

It's like going from a bottle of '61 Dom Perignon to children's grape soda...

I am a big fan of Bruce Boxleitner, so I was hooked on B5 after he replaced the late Michael O'Hare as commander of the station. I think Boxleitner is a very underrated actor and his acting in the last B5 episode - "SLEEPING IN LIGHT" -deserved an Emmy, it made me cry. He was soooo good as Sheridan that I became hooked on B5 for the entire 5 seasons and the TV Movies for TNT and even CRUSADE. It was really a novel approach to sci-fi and comparisions to DS9 were unfair, because it was 2 very different series, inmy opinion.

Gus

My all time favourites are...and remain DS9 & B5! From the very start I loved both shows. Back then there was so much animosity between the B5 & the Trek camps, I never understood that. For me, I just was happy there was not one but two shows I loved.