Captain_Bravo

What's the last non-Trek book you've read?

183 posts in this topic

And again a classic and a modern novella from the series:

"Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators in The Mystery of the Moaning Cave" by William Arden. Another pretty cool classic. :)

51sL8F-1jDL._SX362_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And modern novella #181: "Die drei ??? -- Das Kabinett des Zauberers" (="The Magician's Cabinet") by André Marx from 2015.

51y+OJJ951L.jpg

Many modern novellas stray further away from the original formula of the classics, but not so this one. The story about a magician is very much in line with the kinds of ideas the classic novellas featured. And again, Marx showed his pretty good writing skills, IMO.

"Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators in the Mystery of the Blazing Cliffs" by M. V. Carey -- another classic:

Ol.jpg

Yay! UFOs! :laugh:

As usual in this series, the UFOs turn out to be fake in the end, a scam to rob a millionaire -- but it's pretty cool aliens play a role at all! I already loved this story as a kid, because of that.

Again, M. V. Carey shows that among the classic authors, she has a knack for weird Californian characters. This time, the "robber Barron" millionaire scared of government, anarchists and collapse of the financial system, with his wife in the UFO cult. Great stuff! :thumbup:

Probably my last for a while, I finished up the second and final Volume of Fourth Doctor DWM strips. A few characters or minor plot points where hinted at in this Volume which came into play during the Fifth and Sixth Doctor's runs on the strip. There were enjoyable stories in here, but on the whole I think they were just finding their feet with the strip right before the Fifth Doctor took over. 

I think I need a break from the Magazine strips though. I was kinda slogging my way through these Fourth Doctor strips. I just wanted to wrap up his era. Someday maybe I will give the Seventh Doctor strips a go, but he was im the strip for a while (1987 right up to 1996), and I understand it is kind of a messy run, from its eary days while he was still on TV, to its messy continuity with the Virgin books, and eventually its anandoning that continuity in favor of starting fresh...so I am a little reluctant to dive into that right now. 

currently reading zero G co written by William shatner and jeff rovin

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.  Actually reading this books has been on my list for so damn long, finally getting to it feels very rewarding, and the fact that it is so well written and entertaining makes it all the better.  I was reading the Hobbit when they first started advertising the film versions of these books, and part of me was really into the idea of trying to read them before they came out...but it just didn't happen for whatever reason (it was, for me, middle school, and I both lacked the attention span and/or had other interests like music and girls I had no chance with).  But having loved the film versions and waiting so long, I am glad to have finally gotten to it...and it was so engaging I've barely done much else but breeze through the first book in a week or two.  I haven't watched much TV or movies, or even been on this board as much, because I've been too engaged in the book in my free time.  Cracking into The Two Towers tomorrow!

Fellowship is an enjoyable one. Any favourite parts? I particularly like the stuff at the beginning with the party, and then the scenes in Bree. There's also the Council of Elrond, and the Moria segment...

On 5/9/2017 at 6:50 PM, Explorer3 said:

Fellowship is an enjoyable one. Any favourite parts? I particularly like the stuff at the beginning with the party, and then the scenes in Bree. There's also the Council of Elrond, and the Moria segment...

I enjoyed the whole book, Bree is good stuff, and the Party is good solid character building. Moria is probably my favorite section of the book though. 

Finished up "The Two Towers" a couple of days ago.  The second entry is very different in style, in that instead of following Frodo's perspective throughout, the first half follows everyone but Frodo and their adventures following the breaking of the Fellowship at the end of the previous book, and how they all continue on from there; with the second half picking up on Frodo and Sam's journeys and their dealings with Gollum/Smeagol.  Really good stuff, and I am already a few chapters into the final book.