Captain_Bravo

What's the last non-Trek book you've read?

183 posts in this topic

The Other Side of Everest: Climbing the North Face through the Killer Storm by Matt Dickinson. It's about an expedition climbing the north face of Everest during the '96 storm...

Edited by Captain_Bravo

Reread "The Advent of Divine Justice" by Shoghi Effendi (Baha'i scripture).

Somebody help me...I haven't read a book without Sesame Street characters in two weeks!

The novelization of "Interstellar"; unimpressed so far. It's pretty much a verbatim job of the script. No surprises.

Somebody help me...I haven't read a book without Sesame Street characters in two weeks!

That's why you get books like Fun with Kirk and Spock...start 'em early, I say...

I feel you! I'm overdosed on all kinds of books with lots of animal pictures... ranging from a 56 page photo book my wife made for our daughter to fairy tale cartoons. Cats especially are in the focus of interest...

At least I find a little time in the evening for other books. Now reading more religious stuff: "The World Order of Baha'u'llah" by Shoghi Effendi (authoritative Baha'i scripture) and "Baha'u'llah and the New Era" by John E. Esslemont. I neglected spiritual nourishment in the past months and now, as I'm finally getting it again, realize how thirsty I was.

I feel you! I'm overdosed on all kinds of books with lots of animal pictures... ranging from a 56 page photo book my wife made for our daughter to fairy tale cartoons. Cats especially are in the focus of interest...

At least I find a little time in the evening for other books. Now reading more religious stuff: "The World Order of Baha'u'llah" by Shoghi Effendi (authoritative Baha'i scripture) and "Baha'u'llah and the New Era" by John E. Esslemont. I neglected spiritual nourishment in the past months and now, as I'm finally getting it again, realize how thirsty I was.

My days are kids books, and at night it is work, so I rarely get a chance to just sit and read. I was and technically I am still reading Douglas Adams "The Salmon of Doubt" but I kind of lost touch with it...I should get back to it and finish it.

My days are kids books, and at night it is work, so I rarely get a chance to just sit and read. I was and technically I am still reading Douglas Adams "The Salmon of Doubt" but I kind of lost touch with it...I should get back to it and finish it.

I do a lot of audio books to keep reading. I've read the entire Aubrey/Maturin series like that (unabridged, of course). Like you, I just bought a house a short time ago and I'm working every weekend to finish projects to get the house ready because we're expecting our first in a month and a half, and the books keep me entertained while I'm patching bathtubs, caulking, and painting.

I do a lot of audio books to keep reading. I've read the entire Aubrey/Maturin series like that (unabridged, of course). Like you, I just bought a house a short time ago and I'm working every weekend to finish projects to get the house ready because we're expecting our first in a month and a half, and the books keep me entertained while I'm patching bathtubs, caulking, and painting.

Yea this house is bound to be my new project. Someday I will read again.

The Wine-Dark Sea by Patrick O'Brian (Aubrey-Maturin series Book 16) - Coincidentally, I read almost the entire book while painting the master bedroom :)

Currently working on Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber.  It's about a future where humanity is destroyed by an alien race because of humanity's advanced technology, so the only solution is to settle on a world known as "Safehold" and wipe all knowledge of science and advanced mathematics from people's minds and regress back to a fourteenth-century technological level.  However, after almost a millennium, the aliens are coming and the only hope to save humanity is a cybernetic avatar named "Merlin" who is trying to jump-start humanity's scientific and technological progress before the human race is wiped out for good.

Also started reading The First Three Minutes by Steven Weinberg about the beginning of the universe...

The last non-ST book I've read (a few weeks ago) was Andy Weir's "The Martian" (2011) and to put it simply, it knocked my socks off.

The_Martian_2014.jpg

It is a tale of survival; incorporating both high and low-tech approaches.  In many ways, it's a perfect blend of Robinson Crusoe and Apollo 13.  

I admired Weir's knack for creating such a vivid character as Mark Watney (the titular character).   He speaks in such a loose, informal, humorous voice that he becomes instantly relatable and likable.   He is unlike most scifi characters I've ever read, to be honest.   He's occasionally foul-mouthed, colorful, self-deprecating and immensely witty.   He's also kind of a geek.  What's not to love?

I also loved that the book deals with only what is technologically possible; Weir shows incredible discipline to not include any supernatural elements, or wildcard deus ex machina-style plot devices.   This entire story could take place right NOW with today's technology.   In fact, Watney even cannibalizes some of yesterday's tech to further aid his survival.  

By the end of the book, I was both cheering and rooting for Watney to make it off of Mars.  

As a story, it's as emotional as Apollo 13, and (despite it being fiction) every bit as plausible.   Weir has done an amazing job; in storytelling, in scientific discipline, and in creating one of the most memorable science fiction heroes I've ever read.  I absolutely LOVED this book.   

I'm also grateful that I recently (at Comic Con) got the chance to tell him just how much I loved it.  He was a great guy.   He and newly minted astronaut Victor Glover (who may very well be a future Mars walker!) pointed out my Fred Flintstone costume during their panel too.  I was more than happy to give a few laughs to these guys.   Got a pic with Weir, and he also autographed my copy of the book (got a pic with Glover too!  When he walks on Mars, I'm getting it framed... haha!).

2a09a495f01f0b14c5149804d6033b8d.jpg  << Andy Weir and myself...

The movie of "The Martian" is (as discussed in our scifi forums) coming out in October; and if it's even half as good as the book?  I can't wait.  I'm actually looking just as forward to this movie as I am to the new Star Wars (no kidding).

A while back, I reread some more Baha'i scriptures, such as Gems of Divine Mysteries and the Kitab-i-Aqdas by Baha'u'llah and the Paris Talks by Abdul-Baha.

Reading a book about the making of the Back to the Future trilogy called "We Don't Need Roads: The Making of the BTTF Trilogy" by Caseen Gaines.... mildly diverting stuff.   Some minor behind-the-scenes scandals that I'm didn't know, but otherwise a breezy read.

I just finished The Commodore, the 17th novel in the Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin series...

Just finished The Champion, book five in Scott Sigler's Galactic Football League series...

Star Wars Lords Of The Sith. Its the best of the new line Star Wars books imo.

Started reading "The History of Germany in the 20th Century", a 2014 monograph on 1000+ pages by German historian Ulrich Herbert.

Any other history nerd here? :)

Edited by Sim

A little Bible reading: The Gospel according to Mark.

Just finished The Hundred Days by Patrick O'Brian, #19 in the Aubrey/Maturin series.  Only one full book left in the series...

What I'm reading now:

61665.jpg

Too bad Carl died just as he was finishing this book

Edited by Anime Trekker