Captain_Bravo

What's the last non-Trek book you've read?

183 posts in this topic

bashir-unsure.gif

Would someone explain to me what this guy up there is doing here?

EDIT - Whatever he was doing, hes post was deleted, so just ignore this

He was spamming... but not anymore.

elim-garak-6.jpg

bashir-unsure.gif

Would someone explain to me what this guy up there is doing here?

EDIT - Whatever he was doing, hes post was deleted, so just ignore this

He was spamming... but not anymore.

elim-garak-6.jpg

Dr.-McCoy-and-Captain-Kirk-Agree-On-Star

2qta6gg.jpg

Thank you! That P'tack did one of those on my Ezri drawing as well! What a lack of respect! :dry:

LNSTIW:

Better Call Saul, "Alpine Shepherd Boy"

5ef45365823386fd43b9e59f9927753a3de289d7

Still the most brutally honest (and hilarious) show about lawyers ever. Wait till you see the talking sex toilet... :giggle:

The last non-Trek book I read was Gang Leader for a Day by Sudhir Venkatesh. It's a sociology book about Mr. Venkatesh's experience befriend and study the gang leader JT and his Black Kings gang in the Robert Taylor projects on Chicagos southside. It is a work of non-fiction and something I think Trek fans would be interested in since ST often deals with themes of race, class, society, and sociology.

I recently read Hitchcock by Truffaut, which is a great in depth look at the filmmaker's entire career in his own words. When I get time I plan on reading Douglas Adam's The Salmon of Doubt, which is a collection of essays and articles he wrote, as well as his unfinished final novel.

Alan Clark's Diaries 1983-92, In Power.

Oh for him in power now.

Just finished two:

The Reverse of the Medal, by Patrick O'Brian (Aubrey/Maturin series #11)

Fleet of Worlds by Larry Niven and Edward N. Lerner - Prequel series to Ringworld

Pratchett/Baxter's The Long Mars ... I've really enoyed the Long Earth series thus far ... seems a shame that Utopia will likely be the finale after Sir Terry's passing.

Pratchett/Baxter's The Long Mars ... I've really enoyed the Long Earth series thus far ... seems a shame that Utopia will likely be the finale after Sir Terry's passing.

I was just re-reading Stephen Baxter's "Time Ships." I love that one. It did Wells proud...

Just started the first novel of Stieg Larsson's "Millennium Trilogy", "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Since I don't speak Swedish, I have to read a German translation.

The trilogy had been on my radar for a while already, and when my cousin was here for a visit and told me she's reading it these days, I decided to finally have a look into it.

The beginning (first 70 pages or so) is interesting so far.

Edited by Sim

Right Now I am reading A Dance With Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Currently reading the Douglas Adams book the Salmon of Doubt, whnver I can (having a one year old makes it sometimes difficult to sit down and read a book).

Almost finished Stieg Larsson's "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Not high literature, but certainly a very well crafted, damn strong crime thriller! I see how it could become so successful.

And I started Isaac Asimov's "Foundation".

Re-reading my tattered old copy of Kim Stanley Robinson's "Red Mars"; still feels very relevant 20-odd years later...

Just read:

The Letter of Marque (Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin series #12)

Coming Back Alive - about a daring Coast Guard helicopter rescue in the Alaskan High Seas.

Later today, I'll finish The Thirteen Gun Salute, the thirteenth novel in the Aubrey/Maturin series...

The last non-Trek book I read was Gang Leader for a Day by Sudhir Venkatesh. It's a sociology book about Mr. Venkatesh's experience befriend and study the gang leader JT and his Black Kings gang in the Robert Taylor projects on Chicagos southside. It is a work of non-fiction and something I think Trek fans would be interested in since ST often deals with themes of race, class, society, and sociology.

Also try In Search of Respect: Selling Crack in El Barrio - that's about the drug trade as an "alternative" economy and a white anthropologist's experiences living in Spanish Harlem.

Just finished:

The Thirteen-Gun Salute by Patrick O'Brian (Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin series)

Little Ship of Fools by Charles Wilkins - about a group of sixteen rowers who decide to try for a world record rowing from Morocco to Barbados in just over a month in an experimental boat.

Currently reading:

Trauma: My Life as an Emergency Surgeon by Dr. James Cole

Currently working on:

Star Crusades 6: Slaves of Hyperion by Michael G. Thomas. Series deals with a futuristic war after humanity has colonized two nearby systems. Not the greatest read, but it's passable.

The Seventh Seal III: Final Hour by Jessica Draper. LDS/Mormon trilogy which deals with the end-times before Christ's Second Coming, in which the world is divided between the United States, a warlord that's conquered South and Central America and a genocidal cult leader who has sway over most of the Asian continent.

Recently Finished:

Star Wars: Darth Bane Trilogy. A rather good trilogy set in the Star Wars universe, surrounding the rise and eventual fall of Darth Bane, founder of the Rule of Two.

I finished Asimov's "Foundation" a couple of days ago (the first book of the trilogy). Perhaps I'm soon going to read the second book, but for the time being, I've started two other non-Trek books:

"The Big Sleep" by Raymond Chandler from 1939. As far as I can tell, this novel and the other Marlowe-novels served as template for "Dixon Hill" on Star Trek ... Wikipedia said they're prime examples for 30s-50s pulp fiction of the "hardboiled" detective genre. It's very atmospheric so far... I picture Marlowe as Picard in a trenchcoat. ;)

And "The Girl Who Played With Fire" by Stieg Larsson, the second book of his "Millennium"-trilogy. I found the first book extremely thrilling, so let's see if the second keeps up the quality ...

Just finished:

Trauma: My Life as an Emergency Surgeon, by Dr. James Cole

The Nutmeg of Consolation, by Patrick O'Brian (Aubrey/Maturin series #14)

Currently working on:

Foul Deeds Will Rise, by Greg Cox

Skeletons on the Zahara, by Dean King

Getting ready to read "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan.

Alone on the Ice: The Greatest Survival Story in the History of Exploration - about Douglas Mawson, the Australian Antarctic explorer whose two companions died on their expedition and he had to single-handedly make his way back to camp.

The Truelove by Patrick O'Brian (Aubrey/Maturin series, book 15) - also known as Clarissa Oakes in the UK...

Edited by Captain_Bravo

Continued with Baha'i scripture: "The Summons of the Lord of Hosts" by Baha'u'llah.