Captain_Bravo

What's the last non-Trek book you've read?

158 posts in this topic

Trek books are fun, and I couldn't find another recent thread on this, but what else do you like to read?

Books I've read:

Doctor Who: Silhouette by Justin Richards

The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Invincible by Jack Campbell

Books I'm currently reading:

The Martian by Andy Weir - An astronaut is trapped on Mars when the other crew members believed he perished in a dust storm, and communications have been knocked out. He has to be inventive to survive for four years until the next mission arrives.

Dreams of Other Worlds by Chris Impey and Holly Henry - This is a rundown of seven different unmanned exploration missions including the Voyagers, MERs, Cassini, etc. Very well-written and accessible book on the science missions and how they've helped improve our understanding of space and the universe.

Hmmm...I'm sensing a theme here... :P

Edited by Captain_Bravo

Just finished the Richard Matheson novella, "The Incredible Shrinking Man." This is about the 5 or 6th time I've read it, and it never gets dull. I'm a huge Matheson fan.

I read an anthology of Matheson's work a year or back - pretty good stuff. If memory serves, he also wrote for "The Twilight Zone," didn't he?

A couple of chapters more of the medium collection of the Pali Canon: "The Speeches of Buddha -- The Medium Collection".

A couple of verses from "Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah", part of the Baha'i holy scriptures.

The Bible, Old Testament, Jeremiah 1-3.

Edited by Sim

I read an anthology of Matheson's work a year or back - pretty good stuff. If memory serves, he also wrote for "The Twilight Zone," didn't he?

Indeed he did. A few of their best episodes in fact, including "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet."

Three movies were made of his novel "I Am Legend" ("Last Man on Earth" "Omega Man" and 2007's "I Am Legend"). There was also "Stir Of Echoes", "Hell House" (filmed in 1973 as "Legend of Hell House") and the classic TV movie, "Duel."

He was also one of author Stephen King's favorites, too.

Rereading my Tolkien. Read the Silmarillion and the Hobbit. I am about halfway through The Fellowship of the Rings. I forgot how good they are and how different they are from Mr. Jackson's movies.

And Sim I too am reading Old Testament books - Reading the minor prophets. Just finished Joel.

Edited by kc1966

Finished The Martian - I highly recommend it. Good pacing, humorous narration. Also completed Silhouette and The Lost Fleet.

Also finished In the Land of White Death, a first-person account of the trek from a Russian ship stranded in the Arctic ice back to civilization.

Currently reading:

Dreams of Other Worlds

Sally Ride

The Coldest March

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Imbalance

Treason's Harbour

I tend to read multiple books, depending on my mood...

And Sim I too am reading Old Testament books - Reading the minor prophets. Just finished Joel.

Nice to hear that! May I ask in which way you approach them -- scientific/mythological interest, spiritual edification or strengthening the faith?

I've read a couple of chapters more of Baha'u'llah's "Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah", which is part of the Baha'i holy scriptures.

Reading "Counterfeit Worlds: Philip K Dick On Film" by Brian J. Robb; it's about the late, great mind-frakking scifi author Philip K. Dick and the struggles to bring his works to movie and TV screens.

Reading "The Longest March" by Susan Solomon - It talks about Capt. Robert Falcon Scott's expeditions to the South Pole. She looks at the myth of "Scott the bumbler" and debunks it by showing from his journal and the journal of the other men on the expedition that he was actually a fairly cautious, conscientious planner. He did make mistakes, but he wasn't a careless idiot, and often called himself out on the mistakes he'd made. Solomon, who is an atmospheric scientist, also analyzes the conditions recorded by the previous expeditions and compares it to current atmospheric data to show that Scott and his men ran into a winter period far colder than anyone could have possibly predicted, which led to Scott's death and the deaths of all of the men with him. It's a pretty fascinating read...

Reading the memoir "MY INCREDIBLE LIFE AS THE HULK" by Lou Ferrigno. Really.

41yI73hZRTL.jpg

Gus

Reading the memoir "MY INCREDIBLE LIFE AS THE HULK" by Lou Ferrigno. Really.

41yI73hZRTL.jpg

Gus

I have an autographed copy at home... are you green with envy, Gus? :giggle::P

Mr Sehlat, dont make me angry. You wouldnt like me when I am angry.

LOL

Gus

Mr Sehlat, dont make me angry. You wouldnt like me when I am angry.

LOL

Gus

hulk-o.gif

What would happen if I gave Gus a ride to the airport... :giggle:

LOL

Yeah, thats what happened on my last trip to visit Sehlat in the US.

Thanks, Sehlat LOL

Gus

LOL

Yeah, thats what happened on my last trip to visit Sehlat in the US.

Thanks, Sehlat LOL

Gus

* ... places a call to Jack McGee at the National Register... *

Sehlat: "Hello, Mr McGee? Is that reward for the Hulk still standing? I know who he is..." :giggle:

Finished The Coldest March last week, and just completed a book called Skyjack: The Hunt for D.B. Cooper. I'd recommend the former, but not the latter since it just ends abruptly.

Now reading a book called Barnvard's Folly: Thirteen Tales of People Who Didn't Change the World. It's about the second-place finishers in history, or the people who just had the rotten luck not be the first to achieve greatness in their fields...

Reading the TwoMorrow Publishing book AGE OF TV HEROES about the super heroes TV Series from the 50s to the present - Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman, Bill Bixby 's The Incredible HUlk, Reb Brown's Captain America, Adam West's Batman and so forth. All-color and rare photos, hardcover. Highçy recommended.

51bdLJf-NSL.jpg

Buy it now !!!

http://www.amazon.com/Age-Heroes-Live-Action-Adventures-Characters/dp/1605490105/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423675015&sr=1-1&keywords=MARVEL+CAPTAIN+AMERICA+REB+BROWN

Gus

You will love it. TwoMorrow Publishing did a very classy book and the interviews are very candid and extensive. The photos are great and the cover is by Alex Ross !

Gus

Edited by GustavoLeao

Just finished Doctor Who: The Blood Cell. I was enjoying it up to the last fifty pages or so - seemed like it ran out of steam too early...

I've been on a Jim Butcher kick for the past year or so. I just finished reading his latest installment in his Dresden Files series, Skin Game. As far as I can see, he hasn't lost his touch with it (which is a good thing, considering it's like thirteen books long now). I started reading his Codex Alera books last week, and I'm practically zipping through the first one. Yep, I've decided he's one of my favorite authors.

On another note, I've also *finally* finished George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series (so far). I can see why they would make it into a TV show and not a movie series, but even then, there's a lot of stuff they left out!

bashir-unsure.gif

Would someone explain to me what this guy up there is doing here?

EDIT - Whatever he was doing, hes post was deleted, so just ignore this

Edited by Garak the spy

I'm currently reading the latest Dirk Pitt book, Havana's Storm